Anyone playing a tome game?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Miryafa
Apprentice

Anyone playing a tome game?

Post by Miryafa »

One that I could join? I was thinking it'd be fun to blow off some steam playing a Conduit.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I've been thinking about resuming my old pbp but I have no idea when I'll actually get around to it. I'm also interested if there's one available. Not sure what I'd like to play as though. Tentatively, Prak's speedster, but I'm fine with picking something else if that seems to be inappropriate for a setting.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

None to join on my end, I recently had to put my Elder Scrolls campaign on hold around first Sat of November. Months before that, I revived an old campaign of mine using [Tome] rules, but burned down due to disruptive Soulborn player (well my own complacency, I still like that class though).
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Someone should start a tome game. Also a pokemon game, given how many people here are fans, at least conceptually, of pokemon.

So maybe someone should start a Tome Pokemon PBP game.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:Someone should start a tome game. Also a pokemon game, given how many people here are fans, at least conceptually, of pokemon.

So maybe someone should start a Tome Pokemon PBP game.
Why would you ruin a perfectly good Tome game like that?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Nothing worse than letting JE play

Edit: Fuck this goddamned read-board updating bullshit glitch.
Last edited by Prak on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:Nothing worse than letting JE play
A decision I shall regret for all time.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I do not understand why this forum of all forums has like 6 ongoing games, and literally zero of them are Tome games.

Like, Prak even made a thread title about a Tome Game, but is apparently actually playing a pokemon game that uses pokemon rules that don't exist in the same space-time continuum as me.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Because a lot of the posters here are busy adults with shit to do and those who are millenials with less shit to do are either not particularly inclined to pour a lot of their time into running a game, or don't feel they're up to running a game.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I've made a ninja and naked monk in tome games that fizzled out over time. I figure a part of it is D&D3.5 in general has lots of little fiddly parts and sometimes off turn actions so it can be a hassle for play-by-post.

I'd be up for a game coming up.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:Because a lot of the posters here are busy adults with shit to do and those who are millenials with less shit to do are either not particularly inclined to pour a lot of their time into running a game, or don't feel they're up to running a game.
That doesn't explain why people are capable of running Pokemon, 2e D&D, 1E D&D, and Pathfinder games.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Do you really think you'd be happy playing a tome game run by me if I ran tome without anime-flavoured summoners with an official league pokemon?

SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I feel the same way about After Sundown. The solo Requiescat game is making me lust after it.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

After Sundown seems to have a lot less fiddly parts than Tome
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

SlyJohnny wrote:I feel the same way about After Sundown. The solo Requiescat game is making me lust after it.
But that is actually a AS game. This is like, if people were playing New World of Darkness, or World of Darkness 3.

Like, why are people playing second edition? Why is that happening?

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I am willing to run a Tome game (or After Sundown), but I am not willing to run or play one PBP style. Who's down for a roll20 campaign?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I would potentially, but I am on GMT and working all the freaking time, so the timing is unlikely to line up in a way that would enable me to play a chat game.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

It makes me happy that Requeiscat has a fan.

I definitely don't have enough time to run anything (right now), but might be able to make time to play an After Sundown game, depending on what the schedule ends up looking like.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Chamomile wrote:It makes me happy that Requeiscat has a fan.
I don't want to make this weird or anything but I have written Marco/Becker slash fiction if you want to read it?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Dude, why would you even ask something like that? Of course I want to read it.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

OgreBattle wrote:I've made a ninja and naked monk in tome games that fizzled out over time. I figure a part of it is D&D3.5 in general has lots of little fiddly parts and sometimes off turn actions so it can be a hassle for play-by-post.

I'd be up for a game coming up.
Nah, I liked the fiddly bits. I think fiddly games work better on PbP as no one notices if I take a few hours to look up how to resolve something. I just got coder's block. That game isn't dead though, it's just on indefinite hiatus till I'm in the mood to code that sort of thing again.
Grek wrote:I am willing to run a Tome game (or After Sundown), but I am not willing to run or play one PBP style. Who's down for a roll20 campaign?
I'm interested, but you should post the timings otherwise no one will know whether or not it works for them.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I've already tied up as far as pbp goes, but a chat game of AS sounds like it could be fun.
SlyJohnny wrote: I don't want to make this weird or anything but I have written Marco/Becker slash fiction if you want to read it?
Huh. I'm just too curious to pass that up.
bears fall, everyone dies
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Hahaha, I thought about writing an excerpt just to keep this going, but I can't do it. Perhaps that's for the best.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Hell, Frank had a [Tome] game, for a campaign he'd be wanting to do for years, and that fizzled, for like no explanation at all!

To any consolation, the "Immobile Sun" game was [Tome], pretty awesome, but then it ended on a Cliffhanger because of DM issues.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Double consolation (maybe?), it was actually halted not just at any cliffhanger, but during a major offensive. Like if A New Hope stopped 10 seconds after the rebels get their fighter fleet up to the Death Star.

I'll try to work that thread and get it up to date in preparation for an eventual resumption (which has been promised to happen, no time table given), but I've been DMing my own game now and that's been taking a lot of my "wanting to write down dnd summaries" time. Though it seems no one wants to hear about my game >_<.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered