Wasteland 2

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

Wasteland 2

Post by silva »

So, I just installed this and it looks interesting. But I'm completely overwelmed by all the options. Any tips for how to build a party, and overall tips ?

Btw, I always like to make the charismatic smooth talking leader. Is it a viable build here ?

Thanks.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Wasteland 2 chargen is retro-stupid. There are painfully superior options that make the entire thing a giant waste of time.

Charisma is almost completely fucking useless. The dialogue skills don't depend on charisma in anyway, and when the game does check your charisma it checks the party's total - which means every character has to blow points on charisma for it to matter. One character should have medium-ish charisma and leadership, and everyone else should have 1 charisma.

On a similar note, luck actually is completely fucking useless and every character should have 1 luck.

Intelligence is a god stat. Every even point in intelligence gives you another skill point per level, and skills are the things you use to murder people and solve problems. 10 intelligence is widely considered to be going overboard, but every character should have 8 intelligence.

The remaining four attributes (coordination, awareness, strength, speed) are... complicated. You're in a delicate balancing act between three different good things:
1) Combat initiative. Having a high CI means you get to act earlier and more often than people with a low CI. Yes, having a high CI means you get more turns.
2) AP. You spend AP on your turn to do things, and having a high AP means you get to do more things each turn.
3) Armor and carrying capacity. Having a high strength score means you have an easier time wearing better armor and you get to carry more shit around. But you really don't need to go over 4 or 6.

Combat initiative is equal to 5 + awareness + (speed/2). You should have at least 12 CI.

AP are equal to 3 + (coordination/2) + [(intelligence+strength+speed)/4]. You should have at least 8 AP.

Every term rounds down, so coordination and speed should be divisible by 2, and the total of (intelligence+strength+speed) should be divisible by 4.

Balanced Array (as many as you want):
[*]8 intelligence, 2 coordination, 8 awareness, 4 speed, 4 strength, 1 luck, 1 charisma. +4 sp/level, 15 CI, 8 AP.
[*]8 intelligence, 4 coordination, 6 awareness, 4 speed, 4 strength, 1 luck, 1 charisma. +4 sp/level, 13 CI, 9 AP.

Light Armor Array (no more than one, optional but if used should be sniper):
[*]8 intelligence, 2 coordination, 8 awareness, 6 speed, 2 strength, 1 luck, 1 charisma. +4 sp/level, 16 CI, 8 AP.
[*]8 intelligence, 4 coordination, 6 awareness, 6 speed, 2 strength, 1 luck, 1 charisma. +4 sp/level, 14 CI, 9 AP.
[*]8 intelligence, 6 coordination, 4 awareness, 6 speed, 2 strength, 1 luck, 1 charisma. +4 sp/level, 12 CI, 10 AP.

Mule Array (no more than one, optional but if used will be best melee dude - still train him to use a gun though, melee is not always safe):
[*]8 intelligence, 2 coordination, 8 awareness, 2 speed, 6 strength, 1 luck, 1 charisma. +4 sp/level, 14 CI, 8 AP.
[*]8 intelligence, 4 coordination, 6 awareness, 2 speed, 6 strength, 1 luck, 1 charisma. +4 sp/level, 12 CI, 9 AP.

Charisma Dude Array (no more than one, optional but if used should have leadership):
[*]8 intelligence, 4 coordination, 6 awareness, 2 speed, 2 strength, 1 luck, 5 charisma. +4 sp/level, 12 CI, 8 AP.

You'll notice that the real trade-off here is CI vs AP. That is a difficult decision for complicated reasons but as a general rule I'm going to say go for the high CI, 8 AP variants. And when you get attribute points from levelling up, put them into awareness for more CI, then coordination for more AP.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deathdealingjawa
Apprentice

Post by deathdealingjawa »

I saw the game going for $19.99. Is the game worth it?
I thought fallout 1 and 2 were a lot of fun, so is it worth buying, should I wait, or are there better games to meet my tactical post-apocalyptic needs?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Wasteland 2 is nothing like Fallout.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

deathdealingjawa wrote:I saw the game going for $19.99. Is the game worth it?
I thought fallout 1 and 2 were a lot of fun, so is it worth buying, should I wait, or are there better games to meet my tactical post-apocalyptic needs?
Im having tons of fun with the game right now, but it still feels like a late beta in the way things are unbalanced, in special combat and stats like DSMatticus stated above. I would advice awaiting the next patch, which will address exactly the balance aspect.

And regarding Fallouts comparison, I would say its a hybrid of Fallout and FO: Tactics in that it feats the open-endness and reactivity of the first, with lots of obligatory combat like the later. So if youre the kind of player who likes to avoid combats, you will be disappointed.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

I desperately wish it was MORE like Fallout. I was hoping so very much. I hoped in vain. At least with patches, it looks a little more playable now; but it still has crippling structural flaws.
Last edited by Hadanelith on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Yeah, I've been holding off on buying it until it goes majorly on sale.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

did you people know that there is an fallout2 mmorpg? O.o
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Nope, I did not. Link?
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Wasteland 2 . . i have been playing this for hours on end now . .
2 main problems with the game:
NO FUCKING FAST TRAVEL SYSTEM? ARE YOU FUCKING MAD?
NO WAY TO FUCKING END COMBAT WITHOUT KILLING EVERYTHING?
NO RUNNING AWAY? ARE YOU CRAY CRAY?
sheeesh x.x
Also, speccing for assault rifle, getting an M-16 i think and modding it a bit means you will more or less oneshot 80% of anything you will meet . .
Getting that one female ranger as soon as possible means you will have a character with you that is just as awesome if you hand her one such AR as well.
And it's really programmed to be mean to the player as well . .
There's an instant death button for example.
And then there's rubbing in that it does not have fast travel by simply doubling the asked ammount of stuff so you have to run around even more.
And if you don't end some quests propperly, you get really bad resulsts from that . . like the people of a settlement simply being dead because you did not kill all enemies . .
Furthermore: Not even a rudimentary stealth/sneak system? Are you fucking kidding me?!?
WHY is stuff that Fallout 1 did 20 years ago impossible to propperly implement today?
Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Yeah, it's weird, it's like they started with a modern port of Fallout then said "What this needs is a step back to needlessly complicated and annoying mechanics from before the 'Cyberpunk' album ruined Billy Idol's career."
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

verily . .
I mean . . for crying out loud, these people MADE Fallout!
Because they could not get the License to the Wasteland IP.
You'd EXPECT them to know why people loved Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics and simply port over the mechanics into a more modern engine and their Wasteland universe for fucks sake . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:verily . .
I mean . . for crying out loud, these people MADE Fallout!
Because they could not get the License to the Wasteland IP.
You'd EXPECT them to know why people loved Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics and simply port over the mechanics into a more modern engine and their Wasteland universe for fucks sake . .
Fargo left and made inXile studio, the rest of the staff went on to become Troika and Obsidian. I think it's safe to say that all the talent was in Fargoless part of the team.