Im sick of systems

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Silva's contention seems to be that learning the systems are hard/most systems can't do a wide array of things well and simply. This is about the most fucking obvious statement I have ever seen.

If you are 'done' with systems then I would suggest that you content yourself playing whichever game you know the best. Don't buy any more books or content, just play the game your normal group knows best, use the houserules/gentleman's agreements that let you play the game for 2 hours with people you know without causing fights.

I get it, I turned 30 and most members of my gaming group now have kids. The inertia to not play something different unless its just amazingly good is large. This is not even a bad thing as long as your group is also mature enough to not be huge cockbags while playing.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Awww...
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

violence in the media wrote:why do you buy and play games at all? Make Believe costs nothing and supplies everything you say you want... You can play Make Believe out of any book(s) that strikes your fancy. John Carter and Barbarella vs. Plan 9 on the Planet of the Apes. Go nuts.
I can't believe I still have to explain this one, and that you fuckers are forcing me to join a silva thread on his side. Improve theater is both a legitimate hobby and a legitimate skill. We are not born knowing how to improvise an engaging story with multiple contributors in real time. Like most skills, it can't be substantially improved without practice, but also like most skills, students can benefit from instruction and use outside references to structure their practice.Professional improv groups spend unbelievably long hours rehearsing together. By the time they hit the stage, they know what kinds of things the other members think about. It has been established who can do which accents, and it is known who is likely to start miming a dinosaur. Perhaps that person has been instruct not to mime dinosaurs any more. Ad hoc RPG groups don't have the benefit of that kind familiarity. It is reasonable to purchase a book and use it to exclude some genres, provide some stock characters, and determine which offensive accents will and will not be kosher. Not all fictional premises are equally good for real-time collaborative storytelling. An ensemble show has a different structure and different concerns from a sole-protagonist drama. Inventing a satisfying ensemble premise from whole cloth is not something all players are capable of doing. It is reasonable to buy a book that provides, or advises you on the creation of, an appropriate milieu.
Last edited by Orion on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

You're a viking, your an astronaut, and you're a zookeeper. You're at a dance club and you can only speak in song titles. Go.

Yeah, there's a reason why Whose Line kept using the same guys.