An Academic-ish Approach to Game Theory?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

vagrant
Knight

An Academic-ish Approach to Game Theory?

Post by vagrant »

http://www.mortalisrpg.com/2014/10/28/g ... mud-oh-my/

What do you guys think of the models presented? (Not my post, but a post from an RPer I know. The latter part of the post is game specific and skipabble.)

The Gamist, Narrativist, and Simulationist model is something I've always had a trigger warning about - perhaps unfair, but inspired by the shitty, shitty posts on RPG.net and the like, so maybe I'm just biased against the terminology.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

GNS is not a model, it's a set of undefined buzzwords which use cognitive dissonance to acheive buy-in based on what each individual audience member believes each of those three words to mean.

That mouthbreathing gobslotch doesn't just fellate GNS theory on that blogpost, but he goes so far as to add not one, but two more granfallon-inflated blow-up-dolls to it, then he triple barrels the dildos from all three of them.

I wand to call that a "fractal of stupidity", and point out even the micro-level nonsense like
Hunger, love, war, greed, sympathy all comes from conflict.
, but I fear both that the precise terminology has been overused here and that it doesn't do true justice the ineffable degree of detestation I feel towards such balderdash masquerading as insight.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Forge Theory is not coherent and anything built on Forge Theory will also be incoherent. I couldn't even get through that bullshit because there was too much bullshit.

-Username17
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Fantastic. I knew I disliked it, but I wasn't sure whether that was due to personal dislike of the player or the buzz words. Now to tease my hate into a concrete takedown be for the staff starts think is the worst of god.
Last edited by vagrant on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

We had a discussion about GNS theory some five years ago here. Warning: thread contains Elennsar.

The basic takeaway is that GNS theory is "explained" in a series of essays to define each term that are each over ten thousand words and repeatedly self contradictory. Yes that's right, the definitions of terms are long enough to be short stories individually.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I just want to say, I couldn't access that link when I was at work, and that is awesome. I have now seen the filter do something really good.

You can't start a grand theory* with "Okay, we can salvage from/build upon GNS theory". The whole thing is awful from the start, and just thinking there's anything useful about it means you're making a crucial error right at the very first step. If you're lucky, you'll build a structured argument that stems from a flawed premise that is just "a terrible waste of time", and if you're unlucky, every subsequent step will be just as bad as the first and it becomes a fascinating spiral of stupid.

*before we get into the general futility of making grand theories of gaming and game design.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
nikita
Apprentice

Post by nikita »

There is plenty of discussion and work on games and theories of gaming. I've read more than few as part of my day job.

A good example of early Scandinavian work about these issues (eclectic mix of RPG enthusiastics and academics pondering these issues) is in here: http://www.ropecon.fi/brap/

I am not fond of Edwards and GNS because it was never more than a thought stucture without any real study behind it. Yes, it is really just a thought! There is also real lack of serious academic studies about GNS which should tell you something about its real influence...

However, there is plenty of good work about games and gaming and how people interact with games in academia and professionals outside adventure game industry. Yes, many of these thinkers are not academics (like Greg Kostikyan but his contributions are truly major to the studies of games).

Theory is very useful in game design and works well in making designers to think that steps should be taken to get good (or at least better) results by focusing the development towards goals.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The Den has spent a lot of energy going on why AD&D, D&D4e, Exalted, D&D3e, Bear World, and other games are terrible. Maybe theory can be made based on what people overlook/tolerate in flawed design.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

D&D is a completely different game, with completely different objectives and rules than, say, Polaris or Fiasco. And yet these are all sold as "RPGs".

So, at very least, we need a clearer nomenclature.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

OgreBattle wrote:Maybe theory can be made based on what people overlook/tolerate in flawed design.
Perhaps, but it'll be a long time coming. While TTRPGs tend to fuck up in similar ways, they also have a tendency to forge forward towards new and exciting frontiers of fucking up. For example, 4E D&D was a bad game but a lot of the ways in which is was bad was unique to the rules set and its marketing strategy. I don't think any theory anyone would've constructed in Q2 2008 would've anticipated the depths of fail it was about to plunge.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

nockermensch wrote:D&D is a completely different game, with completely different objectives and rules than, say, Polaris or Fiasco. And yet these are all sold as "RPGs".

So, at very least, we need a clearer nomenclature.
Agreed. What about tactical combat roleplaying for D&D and storytelling roleplaying for Polaris and Fiasco ?
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Silva, first you will have to define those terms that you used. Second, will have to show why D&D isn't storytelling and why Polaris and Fiasco are not tactical combat. Third, you will have to find ways of describing games that don't fit either of those terms.

From what I have see from you so far, that will be as clear as mud.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Artless
Journeyman

Post by Artless »

This reminds me, I'd like to present my new grading system that groups gamers and games into categories based on the age, region and varietal, as well as various subtle nuances noticeable to enthusiasts.

D&D, grown from a Midwestern species, is a long-standing commonality at many hobbyist tables that has notes of narrativist passages while maintaining an uneven but sharply gamist core, with hints of cherry and chocolate rounding everything out to a slightly bitter finish. It pairs well with Mountain Dew or Pepsi Vintage, pretzels and Domino's pizza.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

That's it we totally need a biology style taxinomic order for this shit.

So D&D would be like

Entertainment
Social
Physical
Cooperative
Tactical
Turn Based

and so on and so forth.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I'd say that the game experiences are more "tag" based, and also a lot of the tags are "usually" and "maybe" rather than "always".

DnD can be physical, but is just as often not. DnD is usually tactical, but the entire tactical system is often thrown out the window.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

The thing about trying to define a game like D&D is there's a way it's set up and a way it's played. There are so many houserules and kludges that it's a completely different beast from table to table sometimes.

At it's heart though, it is a tactical, physical game. Most all TTRPGs are social entertainment by nature so those aren't useful metrics.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

How its played is irrelevant for such an analysis. What matters is how its meant to be played, which is solely informed by the game text and rules.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I'm not convince that GNS terms are meaningless or useless. They're not specific, and I can't envision using them in a requirements document, but they are still helpful at quickly sketching something.

For analogy, I might say I drive a "fast" car (hey, it could happen). "Fast" is not a specific or concrete descriptor, but it's not semantically void.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

fectin wrote:For analogy, I might say I drive a "fast" car (hey, it could happen). "Fast" is not a specific or concrete descriptor, but it's not semantically void.
Try using actual GNS to describe anything your car does, instead of "fast", which is a real word with real meanings that don't rack up into the 10s of thousands of words of contradictory drivel.

There is a world of difference between the minor vagaries of the definition of fast and the endless contradictory insanity of GNS terms and theories. It's the difference between "how fast" and "thing which both is a GNS term, is the antithesis of that GNS term, and is also all the other GNS terms and antithesis of all other GNS terms all simultaneously".

So, as a better anology, use GNS to describe your car, then watch everyone point out how fucking wrong your GNS description of car attributes is.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Okay, better example then: I have a cute dog.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

You could say "gamist" and have it mean something. But GNS theory explicitly does not do that, and instead just uses "this isn't for gamists" as an excuse to blame the writer's inability to provide the promised experience on the players for "doing it wrong." At this point the terms are so toxic using them is basically pissing all over your own credibility, and the fact is that they don't answer any helpful questions about your product. Either the rules create the intended experience or not, and talking about GNS is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors between that simple question and its answer that helps you excuse failures with contradictory weasel words and blame-shifting.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

fectin wrote:Okay, better example then: I have a cute dog.
I don't think the contradictions and vagueness of cute are sufficiently large to be truly analogous to GNS terms.

However I will note that they are sufficiently analogous at least for me to point out that "Cute" is too vague a term to be useful as a way of categorizing gamers or RPGs. Stating that "D&D is a cute style RPG for cute gamers who enjoy cute gaming" is wrong, stupid and useless.

Even though it STILL at least has a stronger consistent meaning than saying the same thing with Narratavist as the descriptive term.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

GNS theory does indeed appear useless. That doesn't mean that all their terms are useless, even granting that those terms are broad and qualitative.

For example, we can say that Amber Diceless is almost entirely narrative, or that Danger Patrol is zany, but very gamist, and convey information about either. However, you would still rightly deride an attempt to build a "for narrativists," just as you would any attempt to make a product "for cute dogs only."
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

fectin wrote:even granting that those terms are broad and qualitative.
The fucking point is they are NOT just "broad a qualitative" they are gibberish and contradictory.
For example, we can say that Amber Diceless is almost entirely narrative, or that Danger Patrol is zany, but very gamist, and convey information about either.
NO WE CANNOT. That is the larger part of the whole fucking point. DID YOU NOT GET THAT ALREADY.

The definitions of Narrative and Gamist and so on are INTERNALLY CONTRADICTORY, NOT EXCLUSIVE OF EACH OTHER, and FUCKING INSANE. So we cannot ever define a game as "almost entirely" or "very" any one of those fucking things.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Here's a quick list of elements in various ways people like/dislike their RPG sessions to be, what else could be added in?

DM is god<---->Players have Agency
Rocket Launcher Tag<---->Padded Sumo
Simple "I attack" conflict resolution<----->"I put 5 dice in evasion and 4 in thrust" complex maneuvers in conflict resolution
Fast character creation<----->Really long character creation
Counting squares of movement with minis<---->All in your head
On rails<---->In a sandbox
Only act on your turn<--->Interruption maneuvers

Encounters contain:
-Violence
-Social Combat
-Kingdom building
-Exploring
-Crafting
-Sex
-Furries