[Dom4] WhoIsLeft - Game (w)On

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

name_here wrote:Well, Avor listened when I said that, and he chipped in half the base cost of the next two castings.
Mwahaha.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Good game, everyone. I'd love to read AARs if people are willing to write 'em.
This was definitely a learning experience for me. First time I used the carrion vine global and worms that walk. The global kind of sucks, but worm mages are absolutely amazing. C'tis is also a nation that can go really far with just Enchantment, and I found that power peaked semi-early, you're ready to blitz as soon as you get skeleton horde summons. I should have committed more to offense when I hit my primary enchantment goal, it would have been much easier to hold territory if 3/4 of my forces weren't on defense.

I kind of regret never utilizing the Ultimate Gateway, but I only noticed it when I couldn't afford to reprioritize conjuration. I also regret not paying attention to who went AI. Still, I think my counter-raiding game has improved, and I really enjoyed deploying immortal summoners instead of normal thugs. Still had a decent number of provinces and forts at the end, though it was likely I'd have lost to Tien Ch'i in about a year and a half. Still, I slowed them down and pulled resources away from the bigger conflict over thrones, which may have been significant.

Thanks for a fun game, everyone!
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Okay, so basically I subbed in for Tien Chi on the losing end of a war with C'tis. Magic scales meant research was good, but the territory was pretty site scarce so there weren't a lot of gems to do anything with.

A large army of lizards were advancing on my territory and although there were some defending troops recruited they were pretty spread out. C'tis had Horde of Skeletons and Foul Vapours researched, so any fight lead to the inevitable death of most of my defending forces. After experimenting with a lone Earthquake caster I pulled all my troops together at my capital and focussed on Enchantment research to race to Serpents Blessing. I also started dropping Wolven Winters on provinces I thought we'd end up fighting in to hinder the Cold Blooded lizards. When we actually fought it turned out the enemy were quite badly overextended and had almost no gems - without Foul Vapours or Darkness and in a cold 3 province the skellispam was limited and pretty ineffectual. After this defeat Avor offered a massive haul of over 200 gems for peace, which answered my crippling gem problems.

After spending a few turns turning the gems into a combat force I began to scry Throne provinces and found a surprising number were unforted, and some were even unclaimed. In particular two Water Thrones were open and I had an Amphibious SC Pretender...

After that it was pretty much simply using the army the C'tis gem haul had paid for to advance on Ashdod whilst they were busy elsewhere, and taking a few undefended Thrones. After beating Ashdod back I turned my attentions to C'tis who had an unforted and undefended level 2 Throne (with the Ultimate Gateway no less). The final turns involved forging a load of water breathing rings and Teleporting / Cloud Trapezing around 6 mages and my Pretender into the last Water Throne province. Through Summon Water Power, Rings of Water and plenty of Living Water casts I summoned around 40 Water Elementals that overwhelmed the defenders and left the way clear to victory.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Red_Rob wrote:Through Summon Water Power, Rings of Water and plenty of Living Water casts I summoned around 40 Water Elementals that overwhelmed the defenders and left the way clear to victory.
I would love to see that. Do you still have the file with that battle in it?
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Sure, send me a PM and I'll email it over.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire