Good anti-Imperium of Man fappery essays.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

DSMatticus wrote:
name_here wrote:
Pixels wrote:The Tyranids also use non-Warp FTL. If I recall correctly, they have some handwavium gravity manipulation technology.
I think that depends on the writer, or has changed recently. I definitely recall them emerging from the Warp in some cases.
Proper canon is that they travel through the warp by harnessing the gravity of distant masses to pull themself towards those masses. Tyranid hive fleets are drawn to disturbances in the warp (such as the Astronomican), but they actually block access to the warp in their vicinity. Which leads to the very obvious fan canon that they are intergalactic artillery engineered by some warp sensitive race for the purpose of exterminating (and insulating their creators from in the process) other warp sensitive races because of shit like the birth of Slaanesh, which throws out warp storms in every direction. They are heading for Terra because the Emperor on his golden throne is a gestating chaos god of grimderp and he smells delicious.

Unfortunately, the authors were probably just going for "they are attracted to warp disturbances because they want to eat them for their super awesome warp powers" or "they are attracted to warp disturbances because."
I would assume they use warp disturbances to steer. I mean, they home in on signals from genestealer brood psychic broadcasts. The Astronomicon is basically the same principle.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Chamomile wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:I mean, say what you will about the Imperium's leadership, there hasn't been a repeat of the Horus Heresy since the Emperor was put on the throne.
Depends on what you mean by that. There totally was another Imperium spanning civil war, but neither side fell to Chaos.
Yeah, I mean nearly half the Space Marines joining Chaos.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

You know something is wrong with your Empire, when the Orky lifestyle starts to look like a nice alternative.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Orks have a zen state of mind and the galaxy is exactly the way they want it to be. That quote from the Eldar philosopher on that was a good one that really made the 40k galaxy a lot more interesting for me.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

I used to think the Tau were pretty weeaboo, but I came to realize that's the point. They are the light that illuminates just how oppressive the gloom is. They show that there are problems with the galaxy that go beyond "monsters exist IRL", about how mankind is the real monster, yadda yadda. And darkening the Tau up misses the point entirely.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

OgreBattle wrote:That quote from the Eldar philosopher
"A society without stress", right? The very idea sent shivers up my spine.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Uthan the Perverse. Very good quote.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Sakuya Izayoi wrote:I used to think the Tau were pretty weeaboo, but I came to realize that's the point. They are the light that illuminates just how oppressive the gloom is. They show that there are problems with the galaxy that go beyond "monsters exist IRL", about how mankind is the real monster, yadda yadda. And darkening the Tau up misses the point entirely.
The reasonableness of the Tau is hilarious in the context of WH40k universe. I mean, look at them:

When your army ends looking unique because they use camouflage in their armor and vehicles, you know something is amiss. The joke, of course, is on them. The Tau bring sane tactics and equipment to a galaxy where chainsaw swords and power fists are considered top military technology and interstellar travel is done by portalling through literal hell (that the Tau can't quite perceive).
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Their s5 30" range guns were really shocking when they were first announced.

Though I want to know who exactly it was in GW that decided that the Tau needed a space pope guarded by naked halberdiers.

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I'm okay with Tau getting grimdark'd because it gives me an excuse to blow them up, and I go to 40k for a setting where every single faction is someone I can blow up.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

It's kind of a weird darkening, too. Sterilization programs, brainwashing, death camps, etc - these are things that actually happen, so its not unreasonable that the Tau might end up doing them, especially when they're trying to draw parallels with the Cold War. So this is to drive home the point that there are "no good guys" in the 41st millenium, right? Well, over on the Imperium side, the black ships still carry thousands per day to their death, and the Space Marines love nothing more than sacrificing Sororistas to do their space voodoo. And when the Black Ships don't get you, the tithe ships often do, carrying you off to face the galaxy's greatest threats with all of a laser pointer and letter opener.

In contract, I'm fine with a little Stalinism, and still would get in line to become Gue'vessa.
Last edited by Sakuya Izayoi on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Inventing reasons for factions to engage in mortal combat (pun intended) is like one of the easiest storytelling tasks ever. Anyone who has ever run a campaign of D&D or Shadowrun or WoD or whatever the fuck will have done it so many times that people don't even notice that the game is asking them to come up with thinly plausible reasons for people to butcher other people literally dozens or more times.

If GW has to shitdark up one of the factions because they can't think of enough reasons to motivate people into blowing up a random squadron of Tau without making them another needlessly villainous faction, then they just suck dog dick.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I only read the codices though, not into the novels and the videogame adaptions usually do something 'wrong' in my view.

So are the Tau grimdarked within codices, or just videogames by 3rd parties?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

In the Video Games they are not grimdark as far as i remember.
Might be though, has literally been years since i played that last.
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Tau says they started in DOW with the sterilization.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

OgreBattle wrote:I only read the codices though, not into the novels and the videogame adaptions usually do something 'wrong' in my view.

So are the Tau grimdarked within codices, or just videogames by 3rd parties?
I remember the sterilization bit but honestly I don't blame the Tau for wanting to do that. The humans in that game were all pretty damn terrible and considering all the human factions had the attitude of "kill all aliens and other humans" then the Tau deciding to limit the human problem after the campaign seems a lot more reasonable considering the circumstances. Note though that I am much more familiar with the games (which I've played almost all) than the books (which I've only read a handful). So videogame wise they were the good guys as far as I was concerned. They were my favorite race in the games, with the necrons coming in at a close second (I found necrons were easier to play for me).
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

It should be noted that the Tau controlled Kronus prior to Dark Crusade, and the human population was apparently doing alright. The Tau herded the human population into camps after a major uprising in support of the Imperial Guard. It's ambiguous whether they actually sterilized them or the birth rate dropped sharply as a natural consequence of having gender-segregated camps.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

The only time the Tau were mentioned in a novel, the Kroot were shown as cannibals and the aetherials as knowing and accepting of that fact.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Cannibals as in eating their own kind? Or cannibals as in eating humans? Because if it's the latter, well... so do cats and pigs, and people are okay with those things.

They can eat basically anything made out of meat, and benefit (as a species) from eating a wide variety of genetic material, so eating some amount of human flesh would be handy for them, but they are established as being able to do that with people who are already dead (and they have no qualms with that). So replace graveyards with Ted's Bar and Grill. Problem solved.

If they eat their own kind, that's even less of a problem: clearly it doesn't cause any problems to their health or society - there are other species that eat their own kind just fine, after all.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Eating sapient beings isn't evil but it usually requires murder (corpses that aren't freshly murdered tend to be bad for you). If you can sterilize corpses so it doesn't require murder, or if they were already freshly murdered (e.g. fresh enemy soldier corpses, homicides that already happened, prisoners who got the death penalty (not debating the morality of the death penalty, just assuming it already happens), etc.) I don't see any problems with it.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

I had the impression that the Tau were designed to carter to the US children, who would rather play "good guys" rather than space nazis, and whose parents would be more likely to buy them mechas rather than brutal looking minis with pagan religious symbols.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Err, eating humans. And i guess themselves too, the kroot dogs are normal kroot who ate the wrong food that led into an evolutionary dead end i think.

The book described it as being a big farm barn(one of the industrial sized ones, not one of the good old timey ones) filled with heaps of skinned dead bodies ready for shipping and eating.
And headhunts for specific units to be eaten to gain a genetic/evolutionary advantage from.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The Kroot get to copy genetic information from stuff they eat, so eating enemy dead gives them a major advantage in most cases. They don't attack civilians and allied forces to produce more corpses, so it's not really terribly objectionable. The Tau think it's kind of gross but generally let them do it unless they're going after Chaos corpses.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

Blade wrote:I had the impression that the Tau were designed to carter to the US children, who would rather play "good guys" rather than space nazis, and whose parents would be more likely to buy them mechas rather than brutal looking minis with pagan religious symbols.
Hey, that's not fair.

Erwin Rommel actually gave his troops weapons that worked against the enemy, lel.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And Kroot don't eat genestealer*-infested meat. If you've been tongued by those critters, Kroot can instantly taste it in your corpse and won't eat it. Presumably the whole "infect genes and cause mutations" thing causes them to devolve into Hounds.

Tau were also a ham-handed attempt at getting in on the whole "anime" thing the kids are into these daysten years ago. Possibly for the weeaboo West, possibly "Oh, all of those interchangeable Asians will like this!" Hence all of the mecha suits, which looked too blocky for fans of sleek mecha design.

Yes, actual anime fans naturally flocked to Eldar, who cater to a lot of the smaller demographics (Tolkien fantasy, fancy-looking Sci-fi, anime, female gamers). Eldar was actually a big hit for players who aren't into death metal.

But fortunately, they didn't throw their hands in the air on that one and say "Okay, they have one codex ever then we forget they existed", but actually evolved them a bit. So they're colonialists who are less awful than European colonialists were, and they have amazing tech in specific fields that do not mix magic with tech, and they have a kind of weird caste system that is almost closer to the thing insects have. Also they're okay with strapping nuclear reactors to their bigger robots for power sources - I can't see how that could go wrong. And yeah, they always had the "Kind of good guys" thing, and the "Look, we have decent ranged weapons and camouflage and full environment suits!" thing, and skimmers that, in the desert colour scheme, really looks like they're going for Star Wars pod racing. They have an audience. It's just not the original intended one.

*They're more like gene-hijackers really. Kroot are the ones who "steal" (illegally download and copy?) your DNA for their own uses, Genestealers cause your next of kin to carry their traits.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

OgreBattle wrote:Their s5 30" range guns were really shocking when they were first announced.

Though I want to know who exactly it was in GW that decided that the Tau needed a space pope guarded by naked halberdiers.

<pic>
So, are the guys from Halo based on these Tau leaders then?
Last edited by Lokathor on Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered