Need a new Multiplayer RPG (not necessarily massively)

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

ckafrica
Duke

Need a new Multiplayer RPG (not necessarily massively)

Post by ckafrica »

I'm in the market for something I can play with my friends (4-6 of us usually) in 4-6 hour blasts that can also be played solo and has a certain amount of replayability.

We've been playing DDO for the past few years and like its gameplay (semi active combat/none of this tab 1-2-3-4 nonsense, varied character development with multiple viable build options, small team instance focused rather than almost all public areas, completely optional PvP) however we've done the content enough times that we are in the grind the perfect toon stage and a recent duping exploit has ruined the economy so we want a change but are having a hard time finding something we are all content with.

We've already written off Rift, WoW, Conan, Archeage, SWTOR, and Defiance. The WoW style of combat game mechanic is a complete turn off for some of us.

ESO, DCU and GW2 we're on the fence on for having some aspects we like but not convinced they'll have staying power.

I've tried to get the group interested in Borderlands but its only 4 player and we sometimes have more.

Any thoughts on other titles to try out?
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

A new Gauntlet game came out yesterday. It's a fun hack & slash for four players. Since you have more players than that it might not work for you, but I've had some fun with the single-player mode so far. There's no real level system as such, but your characters get better at things by doing them and you can mix-and-match unlockable gear purchased with in-game gold.

If you're up for something older, Dungeon Siege might work. I haven't played Dungeon Siege 3, but I know the first two games were decent and allow up to eight players in multiplayer games. Dungeon Siege 2 has a much more in-depth customization system with several viable builds per character class in addition to the option of "multiclassing" by using a variety of skills and putting points into two or more trees. It's usually better to stick with one attack type per character, but you can branch out a little and the expansion adds two hybrid classes.
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

If you end up with an MMO, Guild Wars 2 has a super friendly experience for low-level characters. Leveling is much less of a chore, and if someone wants to play solo and gain a few levels, they automatically get scaled down when they join the party in a lower-level area.

The main problem I have is that endgame content is either insanely grindy (getting thousands of bolts of silk to craft ascended armor pieces is stupid), or a bit lackluster.

I haven't spent much time in PvP, but I have in WvWvW. Sadly, it ends up just being a game of following the zerg of 50 people around the map (because otherwise you can't do much), but it's nice to do every once in a while. Thankfully, your level scales up to the max in either instance, so you can jump into either right away.
Last edited by Ravengm on Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Diablo III on the PS4 is a fun hack n' slash dungeon stomper. There's even a dodge button so it plays like an action RPG.

Dragon's Crown is a side scrolling beat 'em up with up to 4 players, leveling up, stat distribution, wands of lightning bolts, riding tigers, and delicious, delicious graphics for food.

Capcom's D&D: Shadow over Mystara HD is one Steam and PS3 (maybe PS4 too), http://store.steampowered.com/app/229480/ it's a coin-op brawler for up to 4 players, you could beat it within a few hours but there's branching paths for replayability. I got it for 7bucks on Playstation network the other day, not sure if the sale is still going though.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Crawl looks pretty fun, but it's still in Early Access.
Last edited by K on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.