Smash Brothers

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

I would also love it if they brought back Adventure mode, and never again tried anything remotely like Smash Tour. Seriously, fuck that shit.
Yeah, I don't get what the hate was for Subspace Emissary. It was hands down the best thing that has ever come from the franchise.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Wiseman wrote: Yeah, I don't get what the hate was for Subspace Emissary. It was hands down the best thing that has ever come from the franchise.
Subspace was 90% filler garbage, just drag-out fights with hordes of nameless and faceless enemies that weren't any fun. Bosses were kind of neat and so the boss fighting mode was surprisingly fun, but Subspace as a whole was shitty.

Melee's adventure mode was...well it was pretty bad, but it was fast because it was just weird shit punctuated with regular Smash Brothers fights. The weird shit wasn't always fun, but at least it was short enough to stay interesting. The regular Smash Brothers fights were as fun as playing against the computer is (not very fun).

Both adventure modes sucked, but hey they're fighting games. The story mode is never going to be any good in fighting games, they aren't designed to make fighting hordes of mooks fun. If you want a better experience than Subspace I recommend virtually any sidescrolling beat 'em up game ever, but mostly TMNT: Turtles In Time.

If I had to guess why Subspace gets so much hate it's because it's rancid garbage that buried the few good moments with so much fucking filler. The problem wasn't even Brawl's shitty mechanics, those don't matter in a beat 'em up, it was that it was fucking boring and didn't have nearly enough ninjas riding dinosaurs.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Tue May 22, 2018 3:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Wiseman wrote:
I would also love it if they brought back Adventure mode, and never again tried anything remotely like Smash Tour. Seriously, fuck that shit.
Yeah, I don't get what the hate was for Subspace Emissary. It was hands down the best thing that has ever come from the franchise.
Although I did enjoy the mook beatdown and fanservice, all the platform/puzzle bits from Subspace Emissary were quite a turnoff for me, and seems for a lot of other people too.

So that's why I would prefer something more like melee's Adventure mode, with simpler platforming and little/no puzzles.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Some rumor that a Belmont will be in the game.

Alucard and Richter would be super rad.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

OgreBattle wrote:You have a favorite Dragon Quest, Shrapnel?
III, VI IV (I meant IV, but those Roman numerals always mess me up...), VIII, and IX, with IX being my all-time favorite.

As for why they got rid of Adventure mode, it's because Sakurai had a baby hissy fit over the fact that people had uploaded videos of the cut scenes before the game's release:
"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai lamented. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."
Because clearly the whole reason to play any video game is solely to see fucking cut-scenes, and not, y'know, to play the goddamn game.

Basically: Sakurai is a whiny, petulant baby bitch.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Sounds like he went to the Hideo Kojima school of game design.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

"You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

I'm pretty sure that's being a whiny, petulant baby bitch to justify not having cut scenes, not being whiny, petulant baby bitch to justify not having a game mode. He's complaining that people will watch cut scenes online and thus not be wowed by it in the middle of the game, which makes him not want to make cut scenes. "Them" is referring to cut scenes here, not game modes.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

No, that's literally the reason he got rid of the adventure mode. He didn't like that the cut scenes were being leaked, and so he used that to justify the fact that he would get rid of the more altogether in future installments. That is the mindset of a toddler.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Wed May 23, 2018 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Assuming hes being honest. He might be saying that because it sounds less shitty than "I don't want to do adventure mode for Smash anymore even though people liked it." Heard enough doublespeak from designers to not take them at their word anymore, especially when justifying unpopular decisions.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

New game is Super Smash Brothers Ultimate! Characters will be:
EVERYBODY!
FROM!
EVERY!
SSB GAME!

Yes, that includes Sonic!! Three Links (classic, young and toon) SNAAAKKKEEE!!!! Rockman!!!!! Ice Siblings Couple Climbers! And dlc characters so Cloud/Ryu/Bayonetta!!!!!!

The inklings as newcomer of course.

Daisy joining in too.

And "drumrolls"

MOTHER
FUCKING
RIDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(too big to fit in your screen)

Other highlights:
-Clone characters aknowledged, get the Echo tag.
-Female pokemon trainer as alternate pokemon trainer yay!
-Link using his BoTW looks but Zelda is the cute version from Link Between Worlds!
-Fake smash balls that blow up your face!
-Minor gameplay changes that casuals won't notice but will make the tryhards discuss to no end.
-8 player smash back!
-You can beat the crap out of some assist trophies and even counts as killing an opponent for point purposes.
-Different mechanics between 1x1 and anything bigger!
-Every stage now has an omega version that removes all the hazards and is just 3 floating platforms like battlefield.
Last edited by maglag on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

If we don't get any Dragon Quest characters, I am going to be be very, very sore.
Half asleep upon my knee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

DQ characters would be great, Kirby needs their hats too.

RIP Snake's ass, they flattened it compared to Melee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Don’t you mean from Brawl? Snake wasn’t in Melee (although Kojima wanted him to be).
Half asleep upon my knee
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

My thoughts on new Smash
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

OgreBattle wrote:DQ characters would be great, Kirby needs their hats too.

Samus got less boobs but more muscle so seems like they're going for more physical fit looks this time.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Nerfnow did a comic about that. But they're desexualizing it across both genders though.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I didn't think I could possibly have an opinion on this and then I saw the pictures and was amazed that Snake's ass is practically concave.
bears fall, everyone dies
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I'm just sad we're not getting Zelda's BotW design. I mean, I have nothing agaisnt her SNES-era duds, but c'mon, Link got to be in his sexiest design, so why not Zelda, too?

Also, Sakurai's justification for not using said design was total bullshit. "More interested in research" my ass.
Half asleep upon my knee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

maglag wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:DQ characters would be great, Kirby needs their hats too.

Samus got less boobs but more muscle so seems like they're going for more physical fit looks this time.
Snake had the most realistically muscle-fit ass for all the crouch walking he's done tho!

I just want purple hair Link, he's the most stylish one
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

OgreBattle wrote:I just want purple hair Link, he's the most stylish one
Yes. This.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, hey, Isabelle is gonna be in Smash. Now if they'd just add Morrigan...
Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Apparently, a leaker has stated that there is going to be a as-yet unnamed Squenix character in Smash. A lot of internets are excited that it might be Geno, from Super Mario JRPG. Well, I say FUCK GENO. Give me some godfucking Dragon Quest! What has Geno ever done? Appeared in one really old Mario game. Dragon Quest originated the entire fucking JRPG genre! Jesus wept.

I'm super cereally fucking upset about this.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

I personally expect neither of those things. Some folk think it'll be sora.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

NO.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Search your feelings, you know it to be true. </Vader>

Actually makes more sense since Dragon Warrior/Quest has iconic monsters rather than Iconic heroes outside of maybe Erdrick.