Early D&D monsters and godzilla/ultraman knockoff toys

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Early D&D monsters and godzilla/ultraman knockoff toys

Post by OgreBattle »

http://diterlizzi.com/home/owlbears-rus ... tes-oh-my/

So that's a super cool article on the Hong Kong toys that Gygax bought early on to represent D&D monsters like the rust monster and owlbear. Is anyone here familiar enough with Ultraman and Godzilla to identify which monster is what though?

How about other D&D monsters? Like is the beholder actually based off of something? Is there a reason umber hulks make people dizzy?

All I know is that the displacer beast is from a sci fi novel about space cats with paralyzing tentacles and mind powers called couerl and that the gith are from GRRMartin in spaaace.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

The red one is probably the original umber hulk (sources differ).

Bullettes were written later, by someone else, but were based on that toy (you can find a similar blog post from Bulettes' writer kicking around, but I don't have a link on hand).
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

https://twitter.com/kasuga391/status/507489636315181056

Went on twitter to ask a Japanese dude that's into early D&D monsters. He figures the Bulette is Skydon from Ultraman.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

It's funny, I had that set when I was, like, 4 or 5. Wouldn't play D&D for another decade and my folks didn't play ever. Didn't realize what they were, (Or what they resembled) until years later when I found the rust monster and bulette in an old box.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

You know what I miss? The bags of black, white, and gray ninjas. It was like a whole army of damn ninjas in there.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.