Kickstarter Shilling Thread (non video game projects)

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Not shilling, but we don't have a Kickstarter mocking thread.

I just received an email from the people who did the partly successful (they made a game) Shadowrun Online game that Catalyst has a Kickstarter for the Shadowrun Sprawl Ops board game. The tie-in with another failed game really sells it to me.

Last I knew, the board game was ready to be released during the "Year of Shadowrun (2013)."

I understand they have a good board game (The Duke), a game that feels like a good thought but poorly-executed (Zero Day), and a pretty okay half-deckbuilder half-puzzle game that was abandoned and they didn't do all of the work on (Shadowrun Crossfire).

Are they a terrible company? Probably. Do they fuck up every deadline? Yes. Do they at least make mediocre games that should be better? Yes. Should you give money to people who can't make games on time or particularly well, and don't understand how money should work, but fuck you for calling them on it? Hahahahaha.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ying-game/

Just saw something about an Expanse RPG kickstarter. They have a free quickstart rules to download, so I did...and it's pretty disappointing.

Most of the quickstart rules center around personal combat, and nothing around ship travel/ship combat/etc. Yeah, personal combat does make up some part of the Expanse universe, but just as much/moreso is there stuff about ships and travel and all that.

The base mechanic is 3d6 +/- bonuses to hit a TN. One die is a "drama die", which seems one of the worst ideas, as it's a MTP kind of thing and also introduces "success at a cost" kind of ideas (your roll succeeds but the drama die is a 1 so your success is tainted...).
Last edited by phlapjackage on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Goddamnit:

I gotta plug this small cute indie RPG in its last day on KS

Laser Kittens
And the sequel / expansion is now live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... bFEOdrcIpk

Even if you're not into lite storygames, there's gotta be somebody in your life who would love the all cartoon-cat deck of playing cards at the $10 level.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
erik
King

Post by erik »

My brother has a board game that he made that I playtested a little bit with him and it seemed pretty fun. This is a 2 minute youtube video pitch that I heard he wants people to see, so here is me putting it before other people's eyes.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I have another Kickstarter. This one is for Petals and Thorns II: Heroes of Ramshorn. A lot of people from this forum backed the first Petals and Thorns. I don't know how many of them actually liked the adventure when they got it, and I guess I'm gonna find out in the next couple of weeks. As a direct sequel to the first one, this is a 5e adventure about various fantasy factions having a philosophical disagreement about the purpose of government communicated through the medium of homicide, with a Pathfinder conversion as a stretch goal. Unlike the first one, this one has a high standard of quality to live up to which necessitates a higher base goal, but the Pathfinder conversion stretch goal is still barely half of what the first one brought in, so I anticipate we'll hit it. Reminder that the Kickstarter algorithm only cares about total pledges, not total money, so a $1 back helps get my project in front of more eyeballs exactly as much as a $100 back.
Last edited by Chamomile on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... ws-trailer
And as soon as i saw JM Hardy in there i lost even ironic interest . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... ws-trailer
And as soon as i saw JM Hardy in there i lost even ironic interest . .
Are the special effects 50% makeup and 50% MSPaint?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I dunno, looks like it.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Wow, so many people who still belive catalyst could find their own ass on the toilet.
Is their track record better on Battletech than on SR?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

So many people willing to give hundreds or thousands of dollars to a Kickstarter which is 13 000% oversubscribed. Have none of them heard of the problems associated with Kickstarters which get too much money?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Korwin
yes, Battletech is the Tall good looking Blonde blue eyed Quarterback while Shadowrun is basically the redheaded stepchild of a nerd.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Orca wrote:So many people willing to give hundreds or thousands of dollars to a Kickstarter which is 13 000% oversubscribed. Have none of them heard of the problems associated with Kickstarters which get too much money?
I'm sure that such things can be issues, but not sure if it tends to be true with mini development. I've participated in the Reaper Minis Bones kickstarters, and they add more and more content as they get 'over subscribed'. More money means more product.

On this one, it looks like it is more of a retail pre-order than a strict development funding cycle, but that happens in Kickstarter a fair bit, and it tends to work. If they had said something like 'and if we get $14 million we'll launch a real Battletech prototype crash program' I'd expect they couldn't deliver.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

This is an interesting project. Maybe it's someone's thing here?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sx ... eur/posts/
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ne ... er-battles

It's a monster war game that uses basically play-doh to mold your monster figures with little "necromold tomes." It looks pretty cool, and has eight days left, and is almost 200% funded. Check it out if you have fond memories of making up war games with Monsters in My Pocket figures or something.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/he ... o-forge-20

Color? In my Heroforge? I already thought posing was ambitious enough, but they're really going for it. I haven't backed it myself, but I am considering it. Heroforge minis are cool, but expensive.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I have pledged for it because that is something particularly cool.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

https://gleam.io/competitions/Bucxo-dd-book-giveaway
Doing a giveaway on twitter for a bunch of 5th edition D&D books. I'm planning on launching a kickstarter later in the month, so building a follower base would be nice.

It's a a book called "Spirits and Songs: A Tavern Handbook" for D&D 5e. We'll be doing new subclasses, plus food and drink recipes, expanding some rules... But more importantly, we'll be including a number of sample inns with notable NPCs, various quest seeds, and perhaps even a couple campaign hooks. Plus their specialties for food and drink (which I'll hopefully tie into my recipe book).

Ed Greenwood is onboard if we get funding, and Cham has already done the Jester subclass for it. We're also importing Eiji's Homunculi into it as well.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Entered and followed and retweeted. Don't let Ed Greenwood know I've compared Biden to him for an analogy.

I also just backed a kickstarter for a 5e cooking themed book, so... apparently next year I might have to do some 5e.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Prak wrote:apparently next year I might have to do some 5e.
We're all sorry to hear that, and hope things get better for you soon.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

I'm curious as to why someone would back a cookbook for a game they apparently don't play...
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It's more like... you've got two cars. One is old, and pretty reliable, the other is newer, but has kind of shitty performance. So usually you use your older car, but occasionally, you find a reason to drive the newer one.

Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Apparently Frosthaven won't be just an expansion to Gloomhaven, but all characters will be compatible with both versions.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

... as of this writing, it has raised over $4.5 million. Pretty incredible.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Yeah, they didn't quite manage 10x what they were going for within 24 hours.