Moments when a videogame made you feel like a badass.

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Blade wrote:Advent Rising: Pretty much the whole game, after getting the powers.
This. Wholly shit. It had the best Jedi Powers system of any game ever. I was pissed off when Force Unleashed was less good.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Blade, Kaelik, could you describe the system to me while using as few spoilers as possible? Because I thought that the Unleashed system was pretty rad. If a predecessor game was even more rad, that would be more rad than the human body could hold.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

You had a lock on system that was switch joystick to lock on, like z targeted 3d zelda, but actually good and you could usually count on what you wanted to be targeted. Then you had a bunch of powers like psychic lift that would pick shit up and throw it in any direction using the other joystick. Also you could constantly flip around the battlefield spending like 5 seconds out of every minute actually on the ground in a near perma bullet time.

Very quickly you can AoE lift. Then there was a power that ripped enemies weapons out of their hands or shoved them backwards. Then it had some cool shooty abilities. But mainly just flipping around in bullet time throwing people into walls was the greatest thing ever.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

How would this game be on PC, since I notice it is around 10 dollars on steam...
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

I've played it on PC, and didn't have any problems.

While it does have quite a few flaws, it's still a fun game that knows how to do epic.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

The Batman games, all of them. You really feel as badass as Batman is.

In particular in Origins near the end trying to find bane the second time; I'm climb up a grate into a elevator room while in stealth mode. There's about eight guys with guns and night-vision goggles, I begin with saying "I'm batman" (my friend laugh as im playing at his house) and proceed to take them out with smoke, rope, cliffs and stealth. Less than 30 seconds later they're down and broken around me. My friend was astounded because it took him over 15 times to clear the area himself to which I reply "I'm Batman". We bust up laughing, because I've been saying this for three hours trying to rush though the game.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

DSMatticus wrote:Necrons are kind of OP. Their units are powerful, and their primary weakness (being slow)... isn't. They have plenty of defensive and offensive teleport/summon options, and their primary combat units can't even cap points, so they have nothing better to do than fuck you up all game. The best anti-necron strategy seems to be to win the game as soon as it begins with a rush (assuming you even can). In the campaign mode, that isn't so simple.
They also don't really have good detectors (their builders and wraiths, iirc). So if you are, say, cloaked chaos/tau/eldar, you can mess them right up.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

To me, it's whenever I finally get a handle on whatever mechanics of the game and start being able to do cool stuff. An example is when I learned how to bounce off walls and attack people in Prince of Persia. When I could master the addition attacks in Legend of Dragoon, that makes me feel pretty badass as well.

I'll second the Batman games, especially when you learn the special attacks you do at every 5 hits (when I learned how to break weapons, that was awesome. Enemies that were the bane of my existence were pretty simple to neuter).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Coming into a battle royale game in S4 League, when the battles already half-way through and rocketing up to first place in the span of a couple minutes.

Also the galleon map, a massive ship themed maze where you have to hunt the other players through various rooms, never knowing what's on the other side of the door.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

In Black Mesa, the fan-made Half Life Source-engine port, Questionable Ethics closes with a really punishing fight with like thirty marines that all drop through the ceiling in a heavy stream. Your kills have to be quick, so a successful encounter probably looks like a dozen chained noscope headshots with the .357 with breaks for contact grenades over cover and tau canon instagibbing.

After it's over, the doors open up, and the two scientists and security guard you rescued in the set-piece immediately beforehand come running in, and one of them is like, "Oh my god, what did you do? What did you do?[/i]

I fucking wasted 'em. Freeman in the house, motherfuckers.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Black Mesa is pretty sick. I think that's about as far as I've gotten in it.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Black mesa is sick as the dickens. Remember when it was like four years into the project and it was Never Coming Out? Sometimes, we actually can have nice things.

If anyone here hasn't played it, I urge them to look into it on the grounds that it is 100% free and polished to a mirror sheen. Do it.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Ninja gaiden black and Ninja Gaiden 2 on bxox and bxox2. Not the shitty remakes of these games, which are unacceptably terrible.

These are the most bad ass games in history, because ryu hyabusa is a bad ass sexy motherfucker and there is no game more hardcore and bad ass. Master Ninja Mode players know the truth of life and you are a pussy Ass whiny bitch.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

CoD: Modern Warfare 2 and 3, getting the nuke. Between those games I managed it only 10 times combined. For those who don't know, getting a nuke requires you to kill 25 people in a row without dying. If I recall correctly you actually had to set up for it in 3 and you just earned it automatically in 2. What made it extra sweet was the first time I got it in MW 2 I didn't know it existed. I got it on hardcore mode free for all (Pretty much 1 shot kills everybody) wielding a sniper rifle and my trusty 6 shooter. I pretty much had haf the map on my ass, and incidentally killing each other as they tried to grenade, rocket, and shotgun me out of my position.

Any time I get a pentakill in League. Can't remember exactly how many times I have gotten it but everytime I do it makes me giddy. Winning 4 V 5 also gives me that feeling though once I won a game that was practically 3 v 5 where two of the people on my team were fresh off of bot matches and fed 16 and 18 with 4 kills between the both of them.

First play through Skyrim I tend to wander as is my habbit with sandbox games starting off. I was playing on Legendary and at some point I wandered into this tomb where this particularly beefy Draugr was knocking my block off every time I went into this room with spiral stairs (don't remember the name of it). He was knocking down my companion in one hit so couldn't even use him as a distraction and he kept disarming my shield with his shout. Shit was not looking good. Then I remembered I had picked up a doomstone power near white run that, once a day, let me resurrect ALL corpses near me for 60 seconds or so. So I painstakingly gathereed up every corpse I could into the room right before I ran into him and resurrected half the dungeon, setting them all on him at once while laughing maniacally as he went down.
Last edited by MGuy on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

Finding a slime god altar as a cat in Dungeon Crawl. Since you can't wear or wield anything, all the crazy mutations end up helping you, and since you can't wear or wield anything, all that junk you can't use all over the dungeon becomes your personal self-replicating army running wild over any floor you can survive a few turns on.
RufusCorvus
Apprentice

Post by RufusCorvus »

In Jade Empire, being a miser with my skill points for half the game so that I could max out double-axes and the Jade Golem style and wreck everything in the endgame. The final boss didn't last 10 seconds to my Jade Golem transformation.