[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 40 - Dead of Night!

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 40 - Dead of Night!

Post by SGamerz »

I'm back with my next Fighting Fantasy LP! Since Dead of Night was the one other book in my last poll thread besides Vault of the Vampire to receive votes, I've decided to run this as my next LP.

Here's the cover:
From the back cover:
"YOU are renowned throughout the land as a Demon-Stalker, waging war against the creatures of Chaos. More than once you have thwarted the Demon Lord's evil schemes, but now Myurr has discovered a cunning way of exacting his revenge. There is no alternative. YOU must confront and destroy the Demon Lord, for the whole of the free world is threatened! Myurr's evil powers may soon enable him and hordes of his vile demons to cross from the Demonic into the Earthly Plane!"
For those unfamiliar with FF and the World of Titan, Myurr is one of the 3 Snake Demon Princes (these 3 being the rulers of all demons in Titan's Demonic Planes), alongside Istra (the archvillain in FF28) and Sith.

From the Introduction:
"For most of your life you have lived in the Sacred Citadel of the Templars, an order of Warrior-Priests and Priestesses in Royal Lendle. You have devoted more time than most to the scholarly and mystical aspects of your order - though you are equally well trained in the use of the sword and in other fighting skills. Because of your all-round ability and dedication, you have risen swiftly through the ranks until now you are highly respected. Furthermore, you are renowned throughout almost the entire continent as a Demon-Stalker!

Using mysterious means, you have seen the danger that the creatures of Chaos pose for the future of the free world; you have made it your personal quest to stop them wherever they might be found. Over the years you have made a number of terrifyingly powerful enemies and now, angered by your many successes against them, they seek revenge. . ."
Actually a more detailed backstory than your standard FF Hero. And that's not all, as you will soon see once I post the "Background" section. Suffice to say for now, much like Moonrunner (which was written by one of the two authors of this book), you actually have a personal reason to hunt down the main villain (and vice versa).

But first, the rules:

Standard FF Boilerplate rules

Skill, Stamina, & Luck
SKILL score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. We roll a 4 and get 10 (Same as our previous FF LP, a solid score to start, whether that's enough to get us through remains to be seen)

STAMINA score: Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result. We roll a 6+1 and get 19 (Not as good as Blade, but still pretty decent)

LUCK score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. We roll a 5 and get 11 (Much better this time!)

SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. STAMINA is your general constitution and "Life points" . LUCK score shows how lucky you are. None of them may exceed their Initial score unless specifically stated.

Eating a meal restores up to 4 points of STAMINA; you may only eat one meal at a time.

Testing your Luck: When instructed by the book to test Test your Luck, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. The more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky.
Combat
SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face.

The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA..
If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA.
If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

Often you will have to fight more than one opponent at a time. Sometimes you will treat them as a single opponent; at others, you will be able to fight them one at a time; and sometimes all of them will be able to attack you, while you defend yourself and may attack only one of them. Specific instructions will be given whenever you meet more than one opponent.

Using Luck in Combat

You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.
And now for the new stuff in this book:

Evil
This score shows how evil you are and how likely you are to succumb to the powers of darkness. Needless to say, you should try to keep this score as low as possible

You start the game with no Evil points. As a Templar, you are bound to uphold the values of honour, benevolence and forgiveness. However, your enemies may exploit them as weaknesses. If ever you act "in a manner more befitting a servant of Chaos" (like ruthlessly killing an undeserving opponent, for example), then you will attract the taint of Evil. Your Evil score will rarely, if ever, decrease during the adventure.

As the books says, "At times, adherence to the path of honour will seem like a restraint, but life is full of such dilemmas for a follower of Light."

Also:

"The question of Evil is made even more complicated by another fact. During your previous escapades you came to learn that sometimes you must fight fire with fire: some demonic forms are virtually immune to holy devices while they are extremely vulnerable to dark magicks and certain foul artifacts. However, to use these forbidden things is an act of Evil, and so your score will increase accordingly if you are forced to use them."

When told to Test your Evil, instructions on how to do this will be given in the relevant paragraph, as will the results of success or failure. (Mostly it will be similar to testing your Luck or your Skill.)
The reference to how we may have to resort to the dark arts to combat evil is also brought up in the next section, where we get to pick our special Talents, as one of them (Dark Veil) will cause our Evil point to go up every time we use it.

Speaking of which.....

Talents
"During your years of intensive training, you have acquired a number of special Talents, which have served you time and again on your many Demon-hunting ventures. Choose three from the following list and mark them in the Talents box of your Adventure Sheet.

BANISH UNDEAD - you have the power to repel or even destroy certain Undead using arcane words and gestures

DARK VEIL - you may cast a magical aura over yourself which, for a very short while, renders you invisible to most evil beings. However, this is a trick you have learnt from your study of Demons and so, whenever you use it, your EVIL score will increase. As you know, 'veil' is an anagram of 'evil', so be careful how you use this Talent. Be warned, too, that more powerful creatures will be able to sense the veil, though they may not see you and may even know a way to use the veil against you!

HEALING - through the application of special herbs you are able to heal various wounds and illnesses, though some will be too difficult for you. However, this Talent can be used only on others. Your beliefs prevent you ministering to yourself except in times of greatest peril.

HOLY CIRCLE - with the aid of simple chalk, charcoal or any other pigment, you can draw a protective magic circle around you which most Demons will be unable to enter. You may also trace a circle in dirt or sand, etc, with your finger.

MEDITATION - this takes time and may be carried out only in a place of absolute calm. You can commune with your deities, drawing strength from the experience If you are able to meditate properly, you receive divine guidance in the form of a vision or a message, and you may also gain strength from the experience in the form of restored STAMINA or LUCK. lf your meditation is interrupted, the result could be disastrous for you.

SENSE DEMON - you may- depending on the precise circumstances - experience a weird tingling sensation when certain types of Demon (including those which are disguised) come within twenty feet of you from any direction.

SPEAK DEMON - you can read and understand words spoken in the foul tongue of the Demons
And our Starting Equipment:

"You carry your sword of finest steel, Nightbane, but you do not wear any armour. Instead you are garbed in the hooded, flowing robes and skull-cap of your order. You carry 10 Gold Pieces. and you also have a backpack in which are your Provisions (you start with enough for 5 meals), a silver Cross and three vials of Holy Water.

You travel the Old World on Godsfire. your fine white stallion and oldest companion."

We even have a horse! Nice! Let's hope he lasts longer than Battle-Cat in my last LP! And at least we don't have to worry about losing our armour and suffering SKILL penalty as a result!

And last but not least, where most FF gamebooks give us a "Hint on Play" section at the end of the rules, Dead of Night gives us this:

Words of Warning:
Demon-Stalker, it is never to take anything for granted where Demons are concerned: they are clever and treacherous beyond belief. They will try to weave you into their complex schemes; they will fool you into acting in accordance with their plans; and they are masters in the art of turning your own strengths against you. Where there are Demons to be found, you must be on constant guard, trusting only yourself.

You must even be careful about using your special Talents: some of your opponents already know all about you and your abilities; they will have devised ways of turning them against you - of such cruelly twisted ideas is a Demon's amusement made. Be warned!
Ominous!

Now finally, before we move on to the Backgrounds section to officially begin this adventure, let's start by voting for our 3 starting special Talents! Oh and a name for our Demon-Stalker would be nice, too!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Healing, Meditation, Speak Demon.

As for a name...
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Meditation, Speak Demon, Sense Demon.

As for a name, since our protagonist is apparently a Templar, I suggest Jacques de Molay.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Sense Demon, Banish Undead and Dark Veil. Also I approve of Sir Mansley Girthrod.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
spiral
NPC

Post by spiral »

Hi everyone, mind if I join in with this? I have the book at home and haven't played it for around twenty years.

It was one of my favourites as I remember..
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sense Demon, Banish Undead, and Meditation.

As for names, I personally think we should go with "Huge Nuge" but Sir Mansley Girthrod is fine too.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Banish undead, meditation, speak demon. The name is fine by me.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

spiral wrote:Hi everyone, mind if I join in with this? I have the book at home and haven't played it for around twenty years.

It was one of my favourites as I remember..
Sure, you're welcome to join.

So far, Meditation is the clear favourite, but Sense Demon, Speak Demon and Banish Undead are all tied at 3 votes each. Maybe spiral can break the tie for us by voting which on to drop?

I'm also a little surprised that Holy Circle is the only one gets no love, considering it sounds like the one other Talent besides Banish Undead that would be directly useful in a hostile encounter.

While we're still deciding on our remaining 2 Talents, I'll go ahead with the Background story:
It is late at night and you lie in your room, unable to sleep. You are idly watching the shadows thrown on to the wall by a flickering candle, when suddenly they take on an ominous appearance. The silhouette of a squat, toad-like creature forms, and two humanoid shapes writhe in torment at its feet. A cold flush sweeps over you as you recognize the people: they are your parents! And the vile shape above them can only be Myurr, your arch-foe and one of the three Demon Lords.

Ever since that fateful day when your brother was slain, you have sought out and killed Demons wherever they might be found. You will never forget that terrible scene: the two of you were working in the fields near your home when a Fanged Demon swept down from the sky and ripped your brother to shreds. Hearing your screams, Branner, the village priest, came running to your aid. He was able to destroy the Demon before it could tum on you; at that moment you realized that you had been spared in order to wage war against Demonkind. There and then you vowed to become a Demon-hunter. Later, at your brother's funeral, a strange ghost appeared and spoke briefly to Branner, before disappearing; it was soon after this event that Branner, seeing in you a hardy spirit, arranged for you to study at the Sacred Citadel of the Templars at Royal Lendle.

That seems like a long time ago now. Since then you have slain many of the Demons inhabiting the mountains of the Witchtooth Line. Indeed, on more than one occasion you have even thwarted the plans of Myurr. But you have always feared that the Demon Lord, unable to strike directly against you, might one day attack you through your parents.

Now your worst fears may be coming true. The shadows on the wall twist and grow Larger; Crowford, your home village, comes into view swathed in a thick mist. An apparition of Myurr and your parents hangs over the village. The Demon grins maliciously as your parents silently plead for help. A cold gust of wind throws open the shutters of your window and extinguishes the candle, plunging the room into darkness. Shakily you re-light the candle and prepare to head for your home at daybreak.

Taking leave of the head of your order, you ride north through Gallantaria. After a few days, you cross the Whitewater River and enter your homeland. During the journey, you try to convince yourself that the shadows on your wall were only projections of a rambling and tired mind. But, no matter how hard you try, you cannot shake the fear that grips your heart. You must put your mind at rest by finding out whether your parents are safe. And if they are not, then Myurr will feel your righteous wrath!

You prepare yourself for the worst by recollecting all you know concerning your arch-enemy and his Demonic ways. This evil, corrupt, depraved and chaotic being is renowned for his subtle and devious schemes. In his earthly form, Myurrr can appear as a huge, grotesque toad or as an innocent young boy. More than once you have thwarted his agents as they attempted to pervert people to their will. Your most dangerous challenge was when you confronted Myurr himself. He had possessed the body of the king's adviser and was fomenting unrest and rebellion throughout the kingdom of Gallantaria by implementing repressive measures against the peasantry. Fortunately, you were able to see through his disguise, and you forced him to abandon his evil schemes.

You can be in no doubt that Myurr hates you deeply; if he has harmed your parents, you will need all the aid you can find. Branner, the old priest, is dead, but the new spiritual leader of Crowford should be able to offer you assistance. You also know Sharleena, a Seer who lives near Crowford; she has the power to summon and speak to spirits and has helped you many times in the past. If there are Demons involved, her aid will be invaluable.

You are almost home. Soon you'll know for sure whether it was only shadows you saw on your wall, or a glimpse of reality Tum to 1.
And this is why so many comic Superheroes keep their real identities a secret. Superman can't be saving the world when he has to keep rushing off rescue Clark Kent's parents.

Before we move on, here's a map provided in the book. It's actually far more relevant than the one in Vault of the Vampire, because most of that adventure took place in the castle, while in we'll be spending a good portion of this book travelling to find Myurr's lair:
I think I'll start the adventure now while still waiting for someone to break the tie on the choice of Talents.
You can see the village of Crowford, nestling in the vale before you Writhing tendrils of mist coil along the streets and wind eerily round the houses. Suppressing a shiver, you pull your cloak closer round you and urge Godsfire onwards. To add to your uneasiness, you can make out a grim figure swinging from a wooden scaffold that stands a few yards down the road ahead of you. It is the ragged skeleton of a criminal, left to rot inside gibbet irons - a lesson to all would-be highwaymen. As a child you used to take a short cut, away from the winding road, through the fields on your left. Indeed, at this time of day you might even find your parents working there. On the other hand, in this thick mist they could well be in the village tavern. Will you take the short cut through the fields in the hope of meeting your parents or follow the road, which means you will have to de under the hanging skeleton?
Our home village sure sounds like a nice environment, right? Don't believe it? Here's a view:
Lovely view, huh?

Which way to go? And anyone care to change/drop their votes to help break the tie on Talent choice?

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Sir Mansley Girthrod
SKILL 10/10
STAMINA 19/19
LUCK 11/11
Evil: 0
Possessions: Nightbane (sword), robes & skull cap, Silver Cross, Holy Water (3 vials)
Talents: Meditation, Sense Demon, and Banish Undead
Provisions: 5
Gold Pieces: 10
Last edited by SGamerz on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiral
NPC

Post by spiral »

Thanks, SGamerz.

I vote Meditation, Sense Demon, and Banish Undead.

I say follow the road. If Myurr was going to send another Fanged Demon after our parents, as for our brother, it would be done already..no point walking off into the mists. To Crowford!

[p.s. Our character sheet refers to Vault of the Vampire spells..]
Last edited by spiral on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

spiral wrote:[p.s. Our character sheet refers to Vault of the Vampire spells..]
Fixed!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd go for the road. Who knows what's in the mist, while we can Banish Undead that skeleton if it animates.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Follow the yellow-bricked road!
Drawing near the gibbet irons, you see that they are old and on the point of collapse. The rope linking the cage with the wooden scaffold is frayed and rotten; the cage itself is more rust than metal, and the splintered scaffold is plagued with mould. Worse still, the festering skeleton held by the iron bars is laughing! Its bony body judders and thrashes within the restricting confines of the cage, and its skull rocks with malevolent glee. Somehow it knows your name and, in a gruff voice, it mocks you: 'You're too late, fool. Your pathetic powers cannot aid you now. 'Will you strike at the skeleton, hanging up in the cage, with your sword, or ignore it and race onwards?
Do we kickstab a man when he's downdead? Or do we have more class than that?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Obvious distraction is obvious. Don't waste the time.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Put the skeleton on Ignore.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Give him the finger and walk past.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We flip off the talking dead guy (possiblty while crossing our fingers behind our back with our other hand and praying to the unamed god that Sir Mansley worships for forgiveness for our use of obscene language) and walk right past it.
Though the mocking laughter continues with increaced volume and renewed vigour,y ou ignore the skeleton and carry on towards your village, nervously urging Godsfire to step out beneath the hanging cage. For a moment, you sense the icy fingers of evil caress your spine/ but nothing hinders your progress, and soon the skeleton's taunting passes out of earshot.
Beckoned by a guy with no head in the last FF LP and now taunted by a guy with no flesh, both at the beginning of the book. Coincidence?
And just like that previous book, attacking the freak does no good and gieves us a minor penalty. And no, we don't get to use Banish Undead on it. I'm guessing it's because it wasn't really animated as a Zombie, just temporaily remote-controlled by Myurr as a talking device.
It is not longbefore you are moving slowly between the mist-shrouded houses of Crowford. Godsfire snorts and throws back his head in an effort to avoid the enveloping fog, but you gently urge him forward. Through the haze you are just able to make out people fleeing from you. The sound of slamming doors echoes hollowly in the mist as the villagers lock themselves into their homes. In front of you, a woman snatches up her child and runs into a nearby cottage.

Realizing that your premonition is coming true, you spur Godsfire towards your parents' home. Once there, you dismount and rush in through the open door You call out to your parents, but no answer comes. A quicklook around reveals that there is no one to be found. Will you go to the tavem to look for them, or would you rather visit the priest, in the hope that he can shed some light on your parents' whereabouts?
Go to the booze, or to our fellow religious figure?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Taverns are always a good source of exposition. But then again, so are friendly priests.

What the hell, let's go with the tavern.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

I suggest the priest. If Sir Mansley is the sort who calls his horse a name with the word "God" in it, then he might get on better with other religious sorts than with beer-swilling tavern types.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Odysseus' father makes a valid point here. Priest.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sure, priest.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We decide to pay a visit to the priest to confess our sins (and hopefully gain forgiveness for that obscene gesture we made to that skeleton).
As you approach the church, soul-rending screams come tearing out of the mist-carpeted graveyard. You knock at the church door and can hear the sound of a bar being removed from the inside. The door opens, to reveal a scared-looking man dressed in priest's robes. Hurriedly he beckons for you to enter the church. 'Thank the heavens you've arrived. Quick, come inside.' He quickly bars the door and, with a great effort, recovers his composure. 'I'm Anson, the new priest. I have sad news for you: your parents were found, dead, in their home three days ago At least, at the time we thought they were your parents - now, I'm not so sure. There was something very strange about their appearance; the flesh was stretched tight on their bones, and their eyes shone with an unholy light. Because of the suspicions I had, just this morning I opened their grave, only to find that they had been spirited away and their places taken by foul Demons. Ever since I buried those creatures, an evil miasma has hung over this village, destroying the crops and killing the wildlife. Now, every night, at sunset, those screams begin. You have the power to put an end to this nightmare. You must help. I implore you.' Will you:

Open your parents' grave?
Use SENSE DEMON, if you can and want to?
Leave the village to search elsewhere for your parents?
We DO have Sense Demon......but just a note here, in this book using a Talent don't always lead to the ideal choice. So in order to not make the bad ones too obvious, instead of automatically using what we have, I'll be opening the option whenever the book says something like "if you want to", implying that you can choose not to use them.

So, do we want to use our Talent in this case? Open the grave without using it? Leave without doing anything?
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Sense Demon, why not.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'll proceed with the single vote this time because:
A strong Demonic presence emanates from the grave of your parents. It cannot possibly be your mother and father who are in there. Will you return to the church, so that you can get a spade and open up the grave, or leave Crowford to seek your parents elsewhere?
Yep, same option. At least we now know for sure that Mom and Dad aren't in there and thus may be still alive. What to do now?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Open the grave. Not only will slaying those demons lift the curse they've dumped on the place, they may provide a further lead.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Open the grave. It's a clue and we need clues.