OSSR: Call of Cthulhu (5.6)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Action Girls, haven't seen that in years.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

...huh?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

One of the references Frank and I made; "Action Girls" was a series of abysmally bad low-budget softcore action flicks, one of which borrowed off of Lovecraft's "Herbert West--Re-Animator."
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

I have a rambling question/observation that I guess could go here. Some years ago, I read through some version of the Haunting or the Haunted House or something. The main thing that sticks with me was how little player skill was needed to solve the mystery. In that there were a lot of prompts of the form "Roll your Libraries skill to figure out that going to the library would be a good place to look for clues." Not all of them were that obvious, but there were a lot of them. The OSSR doesn't mention this sort of thing. Did other CoC adventures and actual games frequently play like this? Or was it just in this version of the Haunting because it was supposed to be a tutorial?
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Depends on Mister Cavern; the Haunting is definitely a training wheels adventure, but in my experience the Keeper doesn't normally prompt the players as to what rolls they need to make, except possibly during combat.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

The way I've played CoC, outside of actual written adventures, the keeper starts the adventure going with some mystery, then decided from player input what is really going on. Which means that the one time he threw out something that totally baffled us at the start it went downhill pretty fast.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Have I mentioned that this is my favorite OSSR on this forum? Because it is.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

How did you not include this? You have failed at memes!

also, Frank you forgot to mention our teenage attempt to play Call of Cthulhu using the Rifts rules (which actually exists as a game, Beyond the Supernatural, but of course we weren't going to buy that)? You may have repressed that part because we had to brick you off in a slice of the basement. It was the only way to stop the screaming.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I did finally break down and take a look at 7th edition, and I'm still trying to digest the changes. They're not the tear-down-and-rebuild that the game sort of needed, but at the same time they make the game less compatible with previous editions for very weird reasons. For example, they have decided that most attributes need to be multiplied by five, so that they're easier to compare to skills? I'm adding a question mark there because I seriously have no idea under what circumstances you would give a flying fuck about that. But it makes all the statlines look huge compared to the last edition, and it gets wiggier for attributes like Education or something. It's really weird. But none of the essential crap we've talked about has changed.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Ancient History wrote:I did finally break down and take a look at 7th edition, and I'm still trying to digest the changes. They're not the tear-down-and-rebuild that the game sort of needed, but at the same time they make the game less compatible with previous editions for very weird reasons. For example, they have decided that most attributes need to be multiplied by five, so that they're easier to compare to skills? I'm adding a question mark there because I seriously have no idea under what circumstances you would give a flying fuck about that. But it makes all the statlines look huge compared to the last edition, and it gets wiggier for attributes like Education or something. It's really weird. But none of the essential crap we've talked about has changed.
When it comes to CoC rpgs, I really only have one question: can I play Randolf Carter? And I'm assuming that the answer is still "No, only NPCs can be sorcerers".
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Know what's annoying? Trying to come up with sufficient words to articulate the idea that CoC's experience system isn't the most realistic they've ever seen.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!