[LP] Lesser-Known Gamebooks: He-Man and the Memory Stone!

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

A

C
A
T

I
S

F
I
N
E

T
O
O

(yes, keep him around)
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Yay, He-Man remains faithful to his kitty!
He-Man decides that the creature he seeks will not be afraid of Battle-Cat, so they continue across the dry, grassy plain.
Wait, so he's hoping he can keep both? He-Man, you two-timing infidel!
The sun climbs higher in he sky. In the distance, Battle-Cat spots a tiny figure coming closer and closer. Soon he is able to tell He-Man that it is Thunder Horse approaching quickly.

The strange animal stops suddenly, snorting the air and stamping its foot as it smells Battle-Cat.

If He-Man tells Battle-Cat to return to the castle, turn to 139.
If he calls out to Thunder Horse, turn to 146.
I'll try calling out, because, as you can see below:

"Thunder Horse, I bring you greetings from Castle Grayskull," shouts He-Man. "l need I your help to cross the Sands of Time."

Thunder Horse doesn't reply. He stamps his foot and snorts at Battle-Cat. He-Man knows that he will not come nearer while the huge, green tiger remains there.

If He-Man asks Battle-Cat to return home, turn to 139.
lf he wishes to try to persuade the nervous creature to help him. turn to 111.
Yeah, 3 consecutive sections where you are given pretty much identical choices. At least this seems to be the last one. It's one or the other. Do we hold firm in our fidelity towards the kitty? Tiger or horse?
Last edited by SGamerz on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

I think sending BC home s probably the better choice. (As a children's book three consectutive chances to go to the same reference screams "HEY DUMMY THIS IS THE RIGHT ONE!!!!!", but in character lets stay with the kitty.
Last edited by Mr Shine on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

I want to see just how railroaded we end up getting. Anyway, tigers are better than horses. Everyone knows this. Stick with kitty.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We only have eyes for the kittty!
"You need not fear, my friend," shouts He-Man. "Battle-Cat will not harm you."

But Thunder Horse, who cannot overcome his natural fear of tigers, rears up, turnsand gllops away into the distance with a cry of, "I'm sorry!"
Yeah, even though it looks like they're really trying to railroad us into picking Thunder Horse, it's possible to continue without him.
It is a long walk under a hot sun that lies ahead for He-Man and Battle-Cat. They know the importance of their task so they trudge on through the dry grasses and strange plants of the plains.

Battle-Cat tenses and, turning his head to one side, he says, "I hear a distant flapping sound, He-Man. It could be Buzz-Off but it could be that evil creature, Screech. Which it is, I cannot tell."

If He-Man decides to run for cover under one of the few trees, turn to 118.
If he wants to wait until Battle-Cat's sharp eyes pick out the flying creature, turn to 132.
Confront or hide?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think He-Man's strategy is now entirely "trust in Battle Cat" so let's go with that.

Either we get into a fight with a miniboss or we get a bit of help (probably) from an ally, and I think we can handle the former and use the latter.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Trust kitty. He's smarter than we are.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Normally, I'm totally with you guys about "trusting kitty" and all, but Battle-Cat didn't actually advise us to hide or confront. He just told us there's something flying out there....
"It's Screeech!' roars Battle-Cat. "He's carrying a full load of bombs!"

The ugly bird zooms down out of the sky and lets fly one of his two bombs at Battle-Cat. The great tiger swerves and avoids the full impact of the bomb, but the blast knocks him unconscious.

Soaring high, Screeech begins his second dive, straight at He-Man!

If He-Man dodges aside at the last second, turn to 89.
If he tries to turn the bomb by throwing the magic shield at it, turn to 37.
NOOOOOOO! It hurt kitty!!! :(

Dodge or throw?
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Throw. That's what he'd do in the cartoon.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Throwing the shield is also the cooler thing to do, so let's go with that
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Throw it!

If after this fight we have to go and get the horse anyway, I'm going to start making choo-choo noises.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Dodging for wusses! Always try to catch the bullet that's being fired at us is our motto!
The shield spins upwards as Screeech's last bomb plummets to the ground. He-Man's aim is true and the shield strikes the bomb in a shower of sparks making it explode, harmlessly, high above the ground.

With a squawk of dismay Screeech hastily retreats.
BOOOOO! We should totally have hit the bomb while Screeech is still holding it, and blow up that stupid bird!

We don't even get to use our sword on it! :mad:

(Of course, this being the classic setting in He-Man's universe, no named character can possibly be really killed. :razz: )
With Screeech only a smudge on the horizon, He-Man leans over the unconscious Battle-Cat. Luckily he isn't badly wounded. His strong armour protected him from the worst of the explosion. Soon the great can opens an eye. "I will be all right. Please leave me and continue on your quest. I will return to Castle Grayskull as soon as I've regained my strength," he says.

He-Man agrees that this is the right thing to do and takes him into the shade of a nearby tree. "Rest here, my valiant friend," whispers He-Man.
But what would we do without our kitty to advise us?

Well, at least we're not told to go back for the horse.
This isn't so much a railroad that forces us to take Thunder Horse than one to separate us from kitty. Even if we hid from Screeech and avoided it, Battle-Cat would soon leave us anyway as he goes back to Castle Grayskull to ask for provisions for He-Man. You'd think He-Man would have been prepared for this journey and brought them in the first place!
Steadily He-Man climbs to the top of each huge sand dune as sand blows in his face. Again and again he climbs until, at last, the dunes become a still, flat expanse of sand. He-Man is getting very thirsty by bow and the scorching heat is beginning to affect him.
In the distance a dark speck is growing in size, as it moves towards him. "Is it Screeech again?" wonders He-Man, searching in vain for a hiding place in the emptiness around him.

Roll the die. If you get a 1, 2 or 3, turn to 17.
If you get a 4, 5 or 6, turn to 28.
I sure hope it's Screeech again. We still owe it the beating it deserves for lobbing bombs at us and kitty and then flying off without giving us the satisfaction of stabbing it in the face!

Die roll: 6!

It is a great relief to He-Man when Stratos, the winged warrior, soars into view, loaded down with water flasks. "At last I have found you," says a breathless Stratos' "Battle-Cat returned to tell us that you would have need of this." He unloads the flasks and bags' "Water and food. There is no time for talk. I must return quickly, for the castle is under constant attack." Stratos zooms into the air and is soon lost to view.
Awww......how thoughtful of kitty, still thinking of us while recovering from its bomb injuries. I bet the horse wouldn't have done that for us!
He-Man eats and drinks as much as he needs and packs what if left of his water and food into a single pouch. He tucks that into hid belt, and marches onwards, feeling much better.

The sun sinks slowly and evening comes as He-Man trudges through the desert. Night falls, bringing with it a chilly breeze, but still he walks on. All through the cold night he continues, snatching an hour's sleep at midnight. With dawn, the sun returns, rising over the desert.
Can we have an option now...?
Over to his right, He-Man catches sight of something moving. A swirling cloud of sand is blowing straight towards him.

If he wants to stay where he is, turn to 2.
If he wants to run away from the Dust Devil, turn to 8.
Finally, a choice!.....Even if it's pretty similar to the last encounter. Confront or avoid?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The Dust Devil in this book is probably something that can actually be stabbed in the face, and this book needs more face-stabbing. Stay.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Hang on. So Stratos could easily get out all this way in a fraction of the time that it took us? Why isn't he the one out adventuring instead? He has super-senses and flight, this is totally his domain.

Stay. Let's see how tough this Dust Devil is.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Laertes wrote:Hang on. So Stratos could easily get out all this way in a fraction of the time that it took us? Why isn't he the one out adventuring instead? He has super-senses and flight, this is totally his domain.
Probably because everyone knows Skeletor will kick his ass. You know those old cartoon series where there's one set Main Hero and one Main Villain, the Hero is the only one who can hope to beat the Villain. Kind of like how Peter Pan is the only lost boy who can fight Captain Hook.
The Dust-Devil envelops He-Man. Blinding grains of sand whip at his skin.

Roll the die and score, using the table below, until you get a 6.
1 – He-Man is wounded, subtract 1 LifePoint.
2 – He-Man can hear strange voices in the wind.
3 – The sand is almost choking He-Man, subtract 1 Life Point.
4 – The dust creature moans horribly as it surrounds He-Man.
5 – The wind lifts He-Man from his feet and spins him around.
6 – The Dust-Devil vanishes as quickly as it arrived. Turn to 71.
Damn, looks like this isn't something that can be stabbed in the face, only outlasted. This can take a while....

Die roll: 2. We hear strange voices. (i.e. pointless filler)
Die roll: 1. We lose 1 Life Point (Damn!).
Die roll: 5. We get spun around (more pointless filler)
Die roll: 6! Thankfully, this is over.
With the Dust-Devil nowhere to be seen, He-Man trudges onward. As the desert begins to give way to a few blades of grass, the air loses its burning dryness and becomes moister and fresher. Soon the Jungle of Vines can be seen ahead.
This is pretty much the converging point for the various paths we could have taken earlier. If we picked Thunder Horse, he will leave us right before we enter the jungle. Basically, we would just use him to help us navigate the desert for a relatively easier/quicker trip.
The jungle seems dim and eerie compared to the harsh heat of the desert, but He-Man must go on ahead through the steaming undergrowth. Bright birds flutter high in the trees, rainbow frogs hop away quickly and monkeys chatter loudly, throwing twigs at one another. Roll the die. If you get a 1, 2 or 3, turn to 75. If you get a 4, 5 or 6, turn to 87.
Die roll: 3.
As He-Man pushes through the undergrowth and hanging creepers, he comes across the beginning of a pathway.

If he follows the pathway, turn to 83.
If he continues through the undergrowth, turn to 94.
Pathway or undergrowth.

He-Man's current Life Points: 12 11
Last edited by SGamerz on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Follow the pathway.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

He-man doesn't waste time with the bush; he charges straight down the path before him!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We prefer going down an open passage to more bush....
At first the way through is no more than a few battered down plants but as He-Man continues, it becomes a more definite pathway. Hard-packed soil begins to appear, as if the path is often used.

Rounding a bend, He-Man suddenly comes upon a clearing.
In the centre of the clearing is a small village surrounded by sharpened poles. Parts of these defences have been smashed down. He-man moves closer. In the centre of a ring of mud huts is the foul creature. Whiplash, an evil reptile and servant of Skeletor. He is attacking the small Pygmy people. He-Man shouts out a challenge to Whiplash.
Finally, something that we can stab in the face! And an ugly face that really needs stabbing, too! It might even look better after we stab it a few times!
Whiplash turns angrily and thrashes his massive tail. He charges at He-Man, knocking several of the Pygmies aside.

Roll the die and score, using the table below, until you get a 6.
1 - He-Man is whacked by Whiplash's tail. Subtract 1 Life Point.
2 - He-Man is wounded by Whiplash. Subtract 1 Life Point.
3 - He-Man jumps over the tail as it thrashes about.
4 - Whiplash is wounded by He-Man's Power Blade. Add 1 to your next roll.
5 - Whiplash is knocked to the ground by a mighty punch from He-Man. Add 2 to your next roll.
6 - Whiplash is knocked out, turn to 130.
Huh, apparently our punch does more damage than the Power Blade.

FIGHT!
Die roll: 3. We jump over its tail.
Die roll: 1. We get smacked by the tail for 1 Life Point!
Die roll: 3. We jump over its tail again.
Die roll: 5. WHAM! We punch him in his ugly face.
Die roll: 4 (+2) = 6! We knock him out!
The tiny Pygmies rush to thank He-Man, as Whiplash lies on the trampled floor. He-Man tells them to tie up Whiplash with some jungle vines. "May we help you?" asks the chef Pygmy, his bone necklace rattling.

"Yes indeed," replies He-Man. "If you could take me to the edge of the jungle it would be a great help."
Yep, as mentioned before, named characters can't be killed in He-Man's world, only temporarily incapacitated.
A large band of Pygmies, armed with small spears and blowguns, leads He-Man through the jungle to the edge of a high cliff.

Many hundreds of feet below begins the volcanic region which He-Man must cross to get to Snake Mountain and the stone which holds Man-at-Arm's memory. He turns to thank the Pygmies but they have disappeared back into the jungle.
There are several ways in which he could climb down the rocky cliff.

If he decides to use the thick creepers that dangle over the edge, turn to 133.
If he wants to climb down using the many hand and foot holds in the rock, turn to 144.
If he wants to search for an easier path down, turn to 106.
Surely those Pygmies could have left us some ropes and climbing spikes!

How will we get down?

He-Man's current Life Points: 12 11 10
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Search for the easier path.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

While I'm normally inclined to wait for at least 2 votes, in this case, as you can see:
He-Man explores the cliff edge for some time but he cannot find a pathway down.

If he uses the hanging creepers to help him climb down, turn to 133.
If he wants to climb down the rock using the many hand holds, turn to 144.
So:

Pathways found: 0.
Railroads found: 1.

Creepers or rock?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Rocks.

So we've done forest. We've done desert and jungle. Now we're going to do volcanic. This is sort of cool: it's a guided tour of different biospheres.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Rock climbing time!
Though the cliff has a powdery surface it is fairly firm and He-Man climbs down easily to reach a wide ledge. From here, a narrow pathway leads down towards the land far below.

If he wants to follow the path, turn to 48.
If he wants to climb down using the creepers, turn to 59.
If he wants to continue down the rock face, turn to 72.
And we find a pathway when we're no longer looking for one.

Continue our rock-climbing? Switch to creepers? Follow new path?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Our reward for rock climbing is the path we just found. So let's take it.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

He-Man never passes up the chance to delve deep into the valleys. Follow the path.