Alignment in 5E still causes arguments

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Zerg are not a true hivemind. The cerebrates are sapient individuals, but the broods themselves are basically just swarms of remote-controlled space tigers. The Overmind keeps everyone in line through some combination of psychic fuckery and good ol' threats of violence. The same is true under Kerrigan and her broodmothers.

The zerg are less a hive and more a small club of Shadowrun riggers whose army of drones happens to be made of meat.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

sarcasmoverdose wrote:
Occluded Sun wrote:And a delightfully refreshing kind of Evil, too.
The Borg aren't evil, they're amoral. Big difference.
True. And rather amusingly, TNG never made a case for why it wouldn't be better if the Borg won and converted everyone else. There was just an implicit 'free will is better because free will' tautology. Every other scenario was simply 'they do things we don't like, so we must kill them.'
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I'm not sure I agree.

First off, there's the initial premise 'I don't want to be a Borg'. The Borg response is, 'you won't care once it is done to you'. In any case, the Borg are doing something unpleasant to you, and that's reason enough to object to the process, if not the end result.

Further, the TNG universe posits that human kind is on a path to ascension towards pure energy beings or some other type of enlightenment. Being 'Borg' would prevent that type of evolution. I'm pretty sure that's why Q introduced them to the Borg in the first place... To make them aware of the impending threat.

Finally, the Borg advance by assimilating other cultures. Once they have assimilated everything, do they advance? It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that when they assimilate a species they learn their research processes and could therefore emulate them, but they're never shown doing that... If they cannot advance indefinitely, and we consider advancement to be a good thing, the Borg dominion would ultimately be bad.

In essence, though, I think that the primary reason they offer is, indeed, 'it's good to be free'. Since everyone in Star Trek represents humans and society, the Borg represent the dilemna of whether people should serve institutions, or whether institutions should serve people. The Borg don't have human emotions... The Star Trek universe posits that making people happy is a cosmic good. Since the Borg cannot be happy (they don't have those types of emotions) then letting them dominate the universe means a net reduction in happy thoughts.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

What the fuck's "amoral" supposed to mean, anyway?
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

zugschef wrote:What the fuck's "amoral" supposed to mean, anyway?
Google wrote:a·mor·al
āˈmôrəl/
adjective
adjective: amoral

lacking a moral sense; unconcerned with the rightness or wrongness of something.
"an amoral attitude to sex"
synonyms: unprincipled, without standards, without morals, without scruples, unscrupulous, Machiavellian, unethical More
Dictionary.com wrote: amoral
[ey-mawr-uhl, a-mawr-, ey-mor-, a-mor-]
adjective
not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral.
having no moral standards, restraints, or principles; unaware of or indifferent to questions of right or wrong: a completely amoral person.
Origin:
1880–85; a-6 + moral

Related forms
amoralism, noun
amorality [ey-muh-ral-i-tee, am-uh-] , noun
amorally, adverb

Synonyms
See immoral.
merriam-webster wrote:amor·al
adjective \(ˌ)ā-ˈmȯr-əl, (ˌ)a-, -ˈmär-\

: having or showing no concern about whether behavior is morally right or wrong
Full Definition of AMORAL
a : being neither moral nor immoral; specifically : lying outside the sphere to which moral judgments apply <science as such is completely amoral — W. S. Thompson>
b : lacking moral sensibility <infants are amoral>
: being outside or beyond the moral order or a particular code of morals <amoral customs>
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Can you be amoral when you care for your species' survival?
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

deaddmwalking wrote:I'm not sure I agree.

First off, there's the initial premise 'I don't want to be a Borg'. The Borg response is, 'you won't care once it is done to you'. In any case, the Borg are doing something unpleasant to you, and that's reason enough to object to the process, if not the end result.
Hence the 'they do things we don't like'
Further, the TNG universe posits that human kind is on a path to ascension towards pure energy beings or some other type of enlightenment. Being 'Borg' would prevent that type of evolution. I'm pretty sure that's why Q introduced them to the Borg in the first place... To make them aware of the impending threat.
Unwarranted assumptions. Nothing suggests they can't, and most of the treatment of energy beings or other 'enlightened' species is that they are gigantic assholes, and useless.
Finally, the Borg advance by assimilating other cultures. Once they have assimilated everything, do they advance? It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that when they assimilate a species they learn their research processes and could therefore emulate them, but they're never shown doing that... If they cannot advance indefinitely, and we consider advancement to be a good thing, the Borg dominion would ultimately be bad.
Well, since the Borg are shown doing research and their own things (the alternate dimension research where they found Species 8675309 or whatever), they clearly do research. And... you've just introduced another tautology.
In essence, though, I think that the primary reason they offer is, indeed, 'it's good to be free'. Since everyone in Star Trek represents humans and society, the Borg represent the dilemna of whether people should serve institutions, or whether institutions should serve people. The Borg don't have human emotions... The Star Trek universe posits that making people happy is a cosmic good. Since the Borg cannot be happy (they don't have those types of emotions) then letting them dominate the universe means a net reduction in happy thoughts.
The problem with this is they never demonstrate that it actually is good to be free, particularly with the nigh-annual corrupt Starfleet officer episodes. Its just an assumption that they never justify, but simply assume that the audience will swallow as an inherent truth that can never be questioned, because the corrupt admirals always fail, the Cardissan Authority collapses and so on.

The one of the best moments in DS9, on the other hand, involves Garrack and Quark carping about the Federation and root beer, and coming to the conclusion that the Federation is in fact worse than the Borg, because they'll assimilate you all the same and make you like it.

@zugschef.... uh, yeah. Quite easily, in fact. Survival itself isn't a moral question. What you're willing to do to survive, on the other hand... if the answer is 'anything is acceptable' amoral is probably in play. (Not agonizing over it, or sniveling about it, but just shrugging, eating the injured and moving on as if it doesn't matter). Obviously if there are things you won't do in order to survive, you aren't amoral.
Last edited by Voss on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Voss wrote:Well, since the Borg are shown doing research and their own things (the alternate dimension research where they found Species 8675309 or whatever), they clearly do research. And... you've just introduced another tautology.
I wasn't going to bring up Voyager because Voyager badly contradicts a lot of what was fairly consistent about Star Trek throughout TNG and DS9 as well as a lot of things that TOS never happened to contradict itself on, and also it kind of sucked, you would be well justified in declaring it non-canon because of that. But since you brought up Species 8472: The episode where they discover Species 8472 is also the episode where they explicitly come out and say that the Borg assimilate but the Federation investigates, that the Borg can't fight Species 8472 because they've never encountered a species capable of fighting them, and 8472 itself is resistant to their assimilation. But the Federation is still capable of research, so they're able to develop an entirely new nanoweapon of some kind (I forget the details).
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Prak_Anima wrote:
No seriously, I'm actually a LaVeyan* Satanist
lol!!
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
sarcasmoverdose
Apprentice

Post by sarcasmoverdose »

deaddmwalking wrote: In essence, though, I think that the primary reason they offer is, indeed, 'it's good to be free'. Since everyone in Star Trek represents humans and society, the Borg represent the dilemna of whether people should serve institutions, or whether institutions should serve people. The Borg don't have human emotions... The Star Trek universe posits that making people happy is a cosmic good. Since the Borg cannot be happy (they don't have those types of emotions) then letting them dominate the universe means a net reduction in happy thoughts.
This all makes them antagonists, not evil. Since they have no care for "right" and "wrong", it makes them amoral- like cthulhu, zombies, and rabid animals.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

sarcasmoverdose wrote: The Borg aren't evil, they're amoral. Big difference.
They're evil. If you're sentient and selfishly trample over everyone's freedom and lives in your path, you're evil (at least in D&D terms).

Not caring about good/evil doesn't make you amoral, that just makes you evil. You're only amoral if you lack higher brain functioning to comprehend what morals are. The Borg know what morality is, they just don't care. That's evil as far as D&D is concerned.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Chamomile wrote:
Voss wrote:Well, since the Borg are shown doing research and their own things (the alternate dimension research where they found Species 8675309 or whatever), they clearly do research. And... you've just introduced another tautology.
I wasn't going to bring up Voyager because Voyager badly contradicts a lot of what was fairly consistent about Star Trek throughout TNG and DS9 as well as a lot of things that TOS never happened to contradict itself on, and also it kind of sucked, you would be well justified in declaring it non-canon because of that. But since you brought up Species 8472: The episode where they discover Species 8472 is also the episode where they explicitly come out and say that the Borg assimilate but the Federation investigates, that the Borg can't fight Species 8472 because they've never encountered a species capable of fighting them, and 8472 itself is resistant to their assimilation. But the Federation is still capable of research, so they're able to develop an entirely new nanoweapon of some kind (I forget the details).
Hmm. That is a point, which muddies the issue somewhat, since it seems incoherent to be researching other dimensions and all the bizarre adaptions the Borg actually do on the fly without any sort of creativity (which seems to be the crux of the issue).

But I can't really see star trek as all that consistent. Technological ability (and scope) depends entirely on whether it is being sacrificed for story reasons, and klingons, time travel bullshit, mind control parasites and all sorts of fuckery routinely twist the setting around itself. But I'm particularly uncomfortable with calling something non-canon just because it was shitty. Its still part of the setting/universe.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cyberzombie wrote:
sarcasmoverdose wrote: The Borg aren't evil, they're amoral. Big difference.
They're evil. If you're sentient and selfishly trample over everyone's freedom and lives in your path, you're evil (at least in D&D terms).
Unless you're doing it because a big glowing guy in a white hat tells you to, then you're lawful good.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I'm like the only person in the universe who liked Voyager.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

RelentlessImp wrote:I'm like the only person in the universe who liked Voyager.
Yes. That probably doesn't make you a bad person. Probably.
sarcasmoverdose
Apprentice

Post by sarcasmoverdose »

Cyberzombie wrote: They're evil. If you're sentient and selfishly trample over everyone's freedom and lives in your path, you're evil (at least in D&D terms).
You're defining evil as "controlling and warlike", something which celestials in DND are.
Cyberzombie wrote: Not caring about good/evil doesn't make you amoral, that just makes you evil.
How so?
Cyberzombie wrote: You're only amoral if you lack higher brain functioning to comprehend what morals are. The Borg know what morality is, they just don't care. That's evil as far as D&D is concerned.
They don't accept human morality, plain and simple. In DND, solars are LG, Rilmani are N, and Demons are CE- and none of them care about human morality.
It was the second best star trek after ST: Enterprise.
Last edited by sarcasmoverdose on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

I gave it a fair chance. And then, salamanders.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

sarcasmoverdose wrote: It was the second best star trek after ST: Enterprise.
GUYS I FOUND SATAN
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

I (generally) like it better than TNG, but only because episodic junk* with no overarching plot makes my teeth ache. And a good 50% of TNG episodes explicitly feel like I'm being preached** at, (often with a moral that is 'cleverly' disguised as an anvil), which causes a visceral, instinctive dislike.

That said, even though DS9 is my absolute favorite ST series, there are still episodes that I won't ever watch again, because they're absolutely horrible.

** as an aside, Lawful Good is the most awful alignment ever. And TNG often reminds me of it, with a very strong tendency to inflict 'Our Moral Compass' on people.

*though the horrible salamander episode is a perfect case in point. Assuming there was a reason to do that at all kidnapping the captain to mutate and breed her and start a brand new species*** should have had... ramifications. Or consequences. Or something.

***even if it will likely inbreed itself out of existence in short order, assuming it is stable at all.
Last edited by Voss on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

RelentlessImp wrote:
sarcasmoverdose wrote: It was the second best star trek after ST: Enterprise.
GUYS I FOUND SATAN
Son, even I thought that show sucked.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Voyager wasn't as bad as most people say it is. Neither was Enterprise. I mean, they had some really awful episodes, but so did all the series.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Three things were good for Voyager; Robert Picardo, Seven-of-Nine and that long-term permanent holodeck town. Getting to watch some really decent, not-entirely-hamfisted (though let's be honest, they had no concept of subtlety most of the time) character development over those three continual arcs made Voyager worth its runtime.

...DS9 didn't hold a candle to B5 though. (They were both God-tier shows, though.)
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

Chamomile wrote:Voyager wasn't as bad as most people say it is. Neither was Enterprise. I mean, they had some really awful episodes, but so did all the series.
Ok, in the first episode it is revealed that Star Fleet has never heard of alarm clocks.

In the second episode they decided to clean up the weak signal from the beyond the event horizon of a black hole (yes, a signal from pas the event horizon) by shielding the antenna. I've never found that wrapping my TV antenna in aluminum foil improves the reception, how about you?

I have no idea what happened in any subsequent episodes.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Sakuya Izayoi wrote:
I gave it a fair chance. And then, salamanders.
So you are saying that it broke your... threshold.

:uptosomething:
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

You can totally shield antenna. Planet-finding scopes block the light of a star to find dull planets around them. Sun-watching scopes shield out the sunlight to see it's corona. IR scopes block the heat of the sun from interfering with their observations. Anything in a particle stream needs shielded from impacts. Ideally you can focus on a tiny point and only let in the wavelengths you're interested in from that one source, everything else is shielded out in some way or another.

Still stupid, but not for that reason.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.