Gaming promo: I am out of touch and have no idea what to get

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Gaming promo: I am out of touch and have no idea what to get

Post by Ikeren »

I ordered a bunch of parts for a PC and am having it custom built. A couple parts include games promos:

I can pick 2 games from this list:
http://www.amd4u.com/radeonrewards/

I recognize very few of them aside from Deus Ex (I liked 1 enough), Tomb Raider (haven't played in 10 years) and Thief (I've heard of). Any of anyones favourites on that list?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Deus Ex HR is excellent and you should get that. I recommend CoH2 if you're into RTSes, or Darksiders if you're not.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Deus Ex HR is excellent. If that's the Director's Cut edition, it's excellenter.

Alan Wake is a pretty good story-driven action adventure.

Just Cause 2 is an open world sandbox game a la GTA, except instead of being a shmuck you're an action hero with a fancy grappling hook that lets you latch onto moving vehicles.

Payday 2 is fun if you have a friend or two to play with, but it is grindy as hell. Now, full disclosure: when a game tells me to grind I tell it to go fuck itself and cheat. Unfortunately, cheating Payday 2 is a little more complicated than using cheat engine or whatever, but it's doable. But again, I don't really recommend it unless you have someone to play it with so whatever moving on.

Hitman Absolution... wasn't awful? Not my favorite Hitman game by far, but solid enough on its own.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yeah, I recommend Deus Ex 100% and Just Cause 2 is also pretty fun.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Thief is good, it has very real problems but it's good and for free the price is defiantly right.

That said, as others have said Deus Ex is excellent, Tomb Raider comes highly recommended too, Just Cause is fun and crazy,
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

The Deus Ex box on there looks like the directors cut, and it should be on your list. If you like set piece action movies, Tomb Raider is easy to recommend. It's a series reboot, so not having played it in forever doesn't matter. I liked both of the darksiders, though 2 is probably better done. They both play a bit like zelda titles, the second more obviously so. Just Cause 2 is open world mayhem, and quite good at it.

Of the indie packs, Banner Saga is an interesting turn based battle game, with very little randomization in the battles. Guacamelee is a brawler with metroidvania exploration and a luchador theme. I'm not sure getting one of those in a pack with something else is a better call than something more substantial, and I have no experience with Dyad or that other one.

If you can only pick two, I'd grab Deus Ex and Just Cause 2 or Tomb Raider depending on whether you wanted more set pieces or more random undirected violence.
Last edited by TarkisFlux on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Cool! Thanks for all the advice.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

One word of caution about Deus Ex HR: I don't know how the director's cut changed things, but in the original version playing a stealth-oriented character basically boned you for the boss fights.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

YMMV. You might have to clear some space in your inventory temporarily, but there's enough equipment lying around in the boss arenas that are sufficient to get the job done (e.g. barrels and guns near the first boss, EMP mines in lockers in the second arena, etc.). Even without augs, Adam is good enough to take on the bosses using whatever weapons are lying around in their arenas (tranquilizers and punching are useless on bosses).

Don't hesitate to murderize the bosses even on a non lethal playthrough as it's impossible to avoid them or dispose of them non lethally.

Avoid punching through walls when someone's on the other side if you're on a non lethal playthrough as Adam will snap their necks immediately afterwards (use bombs when an enemy is behind a weak wall if you don't want them to die)

Some of the hacking upgrades do NOTHING (i.e. the ones that claim to give you more info IIRC).
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

NineInchNall wrote:One word of caution about Deus Ex HR: I don't know how the director's cut changed things, but in the original version playing a stealth-oriented character basically boned you for the boss fights.
Meh, stealth gives you more XP, and the second boss is relatively very far into the game, and the first boss fight can literally be killed by picking things up and throwing them at him with no shots fired and no grenades.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

To maximize XP: Stealth (ghosting) + Non Lethal Takedowns (Dual takedowns as often as possible) + Hack everything even if it doesn't actually help you in the level.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Directors cut changed that anyway. Oh, and if you want to get the foxiest of the hounds achievement, you will reload. Alot.
Last edited by darkmaster on Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

darkmaster wrote:Directors cut changed that anyway. Oh, and if you want to get the foxiest of the hounds achievement, you will reload. Alot.
Changed what? Took away XP to nerf characters?

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

No, not you, the bosses, it changes them so you can do things other than shoot them. Though you still can't just run past them and slam the door in their face.
Kaelik wrote:

Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

The changes to the boss fights aren't that big though; mainly you now get hackable turrets or other similar gadgets to kill the bosses for you, though in all honesty if played properly you will have so many praxis points available that you'll be a killing machine even if you don't want to be one.

Director's cut also integrates of the Missing Link portion to the main game, which gives even more praxis points and a nice gun.
Last edited by Zinegata on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Zinegata wrote:The changes to the boss fights aren't that big though; mainly you now get hackable turrets or other similar gadgets to kill the bosses for you, though in all honesty if played properly you will have so many praxis points available that you'll be a killing machine even if you don't want to be one.

Director's cut also integrates of the Missing Link portion to the main game, which gives even more praxis points and a nice gun.
Seriously, Dir cut integrates... Fucking hell, every time I played Missing Link I hated that it wasn't integrated.

But yeah, my experience as a leet double non lethal takedown/non lethal takedown of literally every enemy in the game + hacking all the things run, was that the first boss I had no military praxis of any kind and I threw gas cannisters and explody barrels at him till he died, and then the second boss I already maxxed all the none lethal stuff and also had the explody circle aug at level 2, so I threw and emp grenade, blew up on her, blew up on her, and then blew up on her, and killed her.