[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 38 - Vault of the Vampire

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below should be the official name of our hero?

Blade Belmont von Alucard
43%
Blade Bellend von Alucard
14%
Blade Bellendmont von Alucard
29%
Blade Bellerophont von Alucard
14%

Total votes: 7

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:I mean, seriously, the count must be wondering what that racket from downstairs is.
"Igor! What's all this racket downstairs?:

"Sir, apparently there's some psycho in the castle, and he just went into the dining room and cut up your favourite rug!"
You open the door and enter a shrine of some kind; the room is unlit, and you need a light-source to see by. There are white and yellow cloths on tables, wall-hangings decorating the room, small stools and a writing-table. There is also a book lying on a chair which attracts your attention, so you pick it up. It is a history of the lives of some famous holy men and healers, and it has a signature on the flyleaf that of Gunthar Heydrich. You can take this book with you if you wish (if you do, add the Book of Healers to your Possessions).

There is a spy-hole on the east wall, and you stand on a stool to look through it. Beyond, you can see a bare chamber with a pair of Zombies standing motionless on guard, holding fearsome halberds. Behind them is a half-open door leading into a bare chamber with stone steps going up. There doesn't seem to be any way of getting into the Zombie Chamber from here, so you leave and head for the door at the end of the eastern side-passage outside.
Another Heydrich? Seems like the Count has a pretty extensive family in this castle.

We leave and go out to the other door...
You see that there is a plaque on the door, with the inscription 'Doktor Karl Adenauer'. You knock politely, and a wavering but sharp voice answers, 'Come!' You step in, and see a grey-haired, middle-aged man in robes sitting at a desk covered with papers neatly stacked up in piles. The room is chock full of books and papers, and the man peers at you over a crystal ball mounted on a dragon's foot which stands on his desk. 'Doktor Adenauer, young man,' he says, rather needlessly. 'Sage in the employ of Count Reiner Heydrich; wretched man, never gives me enough money for my research. These important books cost a fortune!' and he indicates a wall full of bookcases with a sweep of his hand. He looks grumpy, but he isn't hostile. At least, he doesn't seem to be! Will you:

Attack him?
Talk to him?
Leave and return to the corridor?
Adventure Sheet:
Name: Blade Belmont von Alucard
SKILL 7/10 (-2 SKILL until Blade has fought 1 more combat)
STAMINA 15/21
LUCK 7/8
Faith: 9
Possessions: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, Garlic, Magic Sword, Shield of Faith, Decanter of Brandy (1 measure left, +4 STAMINA), Silver Mirror, Book of Healers
Provisions: 6 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
Afflictions:
Gold Pieces: 2
Treasure: Crystal Vial (worth 4 gp), Assorted silver items (worth 4 gp)
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Grey haired and middle aged? He sounds alive. Best to seduce him vigorously in the ears with our words. By which I mean talk to him.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

He sounds too curmudgeonly to be evil. Talk at him.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Talk to the crazy old wizard. They are invaluable sources of exposition and loot in all Fighting Fantasy books

EDIT: fixed link
DOUBLE EDIT: fixed link for realz
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Talk as always.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We chat up the sexy old man.
You are wondering what to say, but the Sage talks freely of his own accord. Mostly he goes on about how mean the Count is, and how he - the Sage - needs more money for books. You realize that you're going to have to pay for information, and it isn't going to come cheap. While you're wodnering how much to offer, and how to do this politely, the Sage suddenly announces, 'Of course, for a goodly sum in gold I could get you into the library. Who knows what you might not find in there?'

You can ask the Sage about various matters, but you'll have to pay him for each answer you get. He will accept gold pieces, or any Treasure items of equal value. You can choose what you want to ask about from the list below, but you must pay for each answer you get. The Sage demands payment in advance, and he doesn't haggle! For each question, you will be referred to the paragraph with his answer, then referred back to this paragraph. You could ask about:

Getting into the library (6 Gold Pieces)
Where the Count can be found (3 Gold Pieces)
Relatives of the Count in the castle (3 Gold Pieces)
Nastassia, the missing village girl (2 Gold Pieces)
What's in the Crypt (2 Gold Pieces)
Any Afflictions you have (2 Gold Pieces) - (we don't have any)
We have Treasure and gold amounting to the value of 10 Gold Pieces in all, so we can't ask everything. Pick your questions!

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 7/10 (-2 SKILL until Blade has fought 1 more combat)
STAMINA 15/21
LUCK 7/8
Possessions: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, Garlic, Magic Sword, Shield of Faith, Decanter of Brandy (1 measure left, +4 STAMINA), Silver Mirror, Book of Healers
Provisions: 6 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
Afflictions:
Gold Pieces: 2
Treasure: Crystal Vial (worth 4 gp), Assorted silver items (worth 4 gp)
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Can't we cheat and preview all the paragraphs/info? :D

The Library looks to be most important based on price, but everything else is 10 GP exact. We should ask about them.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:Can't we cheat and preview all the paragraphs/info? :D
I'm gonna say 'no' to this. This is similar to most shopping lists in FF gambooks, except that for items, you wouldn't know they're essential quest items until the books ask if you have them. For this case, reading ahead will immediately tell you which are the ones (well, at least some of them) you should pick, because at least one of them (I'm releasing a slight spoiler here) gives you a plot token, so reading all of them and only paying for the useful ones would be equivilant to "let's retcon this part and pretend that we totally bought this magic pen 200 paragraphs ago in that market we passed a week ago".
Last edited by SGamerz on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd ask about the Library, Crypt, and Girl. I think we've already met all of the Count's relatives.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

"The girl is in the crypt and the key is in the library". :p

In other words, I'll second DR's suggestion.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yup, those questions sound about right.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We hand over all the Treasure we have to the old man. We're now broke!

Asking about the library first:
The Sage whips out a Silver Key from a waistcoat pocket after taking your fee. You notice that the key has the number 378 engraved on it. 'That'll get you in,' he says. 'Back down the corridor to the west, turn right, and open the north door with this.'
We know where the library is, we've tried going there earlier!

Now, the girl:
The Sage ponders. 'Ah yes, a young woman was dragged in recently, and the Count had her taekn down to the Crypt. He keeps people prisoner down there, and then either drinks their blood or hands them over to Katarina. Funny creature, Katarina, can be very charming at times!' He looks almost fond at the thought of Katarina.
We saw Katarina's portrait earlier. Sounds like the Count has at least one family member who shares his bloodthirsty habit.

Now for the Crypt:
The Sage looks very serious and says that you don't want to go down there. The Count keeps prisoners in the Crypt, and it is protected by a particularly horrible enchanted monster made out of bones. 'Anyway it's locked, and the Count has the key in his rooms; the lock is magical, and only that key will get you in. It's a great iron key, I've seen the Count carrying it - but, as I say, you really don't want to go down there. Oh no!'
Of course, that probably means we will be going down there at some point.....after finding the key in the Count's own room.

Back to the section where we're presented our info-shopping list:
After you have finished paying for information (and reduced the amount of your Treasure accordingly), you leave the Sage to his musty books and manuscripts. If the Sage has given you an item, you follow his directions...
This brings us back to the library door section from earlier, which I won't bother typing up again. Instead, we'll go straight to 378 (the number on the Silver Key):
You enter the library lit by a golden globe of soft magical light, hanging in the air. There are hundreds of books on the bookshelves, but one particular shelf is full of works concerned with the history of Mortvania and the Heydrich family, and you look quickly through some of them. You read of the time when Siegfried was Count and the land flourished, until Siegfried disappeared mysteriously and Reiner became Count. Since that time, misery and fear have been the people's lot. It seems that many Heydrichs have been cruel and despotic tyrants; of Reiner's great-great-grandfather Eckhart you read a small text, which states that 'the folke saye he is Vampyre'. On the frontispiece is written in elegant, sloping writing, 'and now I have attained that blessed state'. Since Reiner's Heydrich's signature is on the flyleaf, you know what this means!

Just as you feel that you have spent too much time here, you come across a small, untitled book with many illustrations of weapons. One page, page 188, has a slight magical glow which draws you to it. This leaf of the book is a beautiful illuminated etching of a sword, covered in runes and held to the sky by a powerful, muscular bronzed arm. You take this book; add the Book of Swords to your Possessions, and make a not of thw number of the magical page. Now you leave, and youi search in the eastern side-passage for the stars which will lead you to the floor above.
It's rather weird that Siegfried's reign have already been recorded as 'history', considering even our ranger friend (who hadn't been described as old by any means) remembers it. It also doesn't make much sense that there would be records in the castle describing the current ruler as despotic while he's still in power. Oh well, exposition dump there.

Since we saw the Zombies (through a peep-hole earlier) guarding the secret room and stairs that we're now looking for, I think it's a fair assumption that we'll make some preparation before this next encounter: namely, we eat a mean and restore some STAMINA before the next fight (up to 19):
After careful searching, you find a secret door in the passage on the north wall, some ten feet from the door at the end of the passage. You open it and enter a bare chamber with a half-open door in the east wall. Standing guard here are two Zombies bearing pole-arms - yuor FAITH will not protect you against these mindless but thoroughly trained guards! Fight the Zombies one at a time in the doorway.

First Zombie SKILL 6 STAMINA 6
Second Zombie SKILL 7 STAMINA 6
Not too bad, although there are 2 of them. And this is the last fight before we recover our lost SKILL points from the Baobhan Sith's spell!

COMBAT LOG:
Zombie#1 16, Blade 13. Blade is at 17.
Zombie#1 12, Blade 18. Zombie#1 is at 4.
Zombie#1 13, Blade 14. Zombie#1 is at 2.
Zombie#1 15, Blade 15. Tie.
Zombie#1 12, Blade 16. Zombie#1 is destroyed.
Zombie#2 12, Blade 16. Zombie#2 is at 4.
Zombie#2 16, Blade 13. Blade is at 15.
Zombie#2 14, Blade 10. Blade is at 13.
Zombie#2 16, Blade 14. Blade is at 11.
Zombie#2 16, Blade 15. Blade is at 9.
Zombie#2 14, Blade 12. Blade is at 7.
Zombie#2 15, Blade 19. Zombie#2 is at 2.
Zombie#2 15, Blade 18. Zombie#2 is destroyed.
Zombie#2 hurt us pretty bad here!
You search the Zombies, but they have nothing of value. You past through the half-open door in the east wall and enter another bare chamber. Here there is a flight of stone steps leading up, and the walls are lit with torches in the scone. You climb the steps, and when you get to the top you are standing under a shaft of moonlight from a tiny circular window high on the north wall. If you have the Lycanthropy Affliction, turn to 297. If you have the Major Lycantrophy Affliction, turn to 204. If you have neither, turn to 154.
That particular Affliction sure gets checked a lot in this book!

We eat another meal before proceeding, since we're pretty beat up. On the bright side, our SKILL is now finally back up to 9!
There are two doors in this bare chamber, so you decide to open one of them. Will it be:

The door in the south corner of the west wall?
Or the silver-handled door in the middle of the south wall?
Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/10
STAMINA 11/21
LUCK 7/8
Possessions: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, Garlic, Magic Sword, Shield of Faith, Decanter of Brandy (1 measure left, +4 STAMINA), Silver Mirror, Book of Healers, Silver Key, Book of Swords
Provisions: 4 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
Afflictions:
Gold Pieces: 0
Treasure: we are broke!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Silver door.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Door + shiny = must pick.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We steal the silver door handle and open the south door:
You enter a lounge where nondescript carpets and plain wood furniture litter the scene. You notice wall-hangings displaying a bewildering variety of herbs and other plants, and an open door to the west. From that doorway and man enters; he looks absent-mindedly at you. He is middle-aged and has a mane of greying black hair tapering to a widow's peak above his face, which is dominated by his pale green eyes. He is dressed simply in white and grey robes, and he carries a tray with a decanter and goblets, which he puts down as he greets you. 'I am Gunthar Heydrich. What is your business here?' he asks you. He seems kindly enough. Will you talk to him, or attack him, being distrustful of any member of the Heydrich family?
One thing that every human inhabitant in this castle seem to have in common so far is that none of them find it surprising that a complete stranger is wandering free around in the castle of the local evil ruler, knowing that we can't possibly be a new servant (cos they're all undead), and none of them seem to be particularly bothered. Seems like they're rather used to seeing random warriors busting into the castle looking to kill or loot.

Anyway, those trademark green eyes confirm the blood-ties here. But is he a good Heydrich or a bad Heydrich?
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

He has a widow's peak. That means vampire! Kill, kill!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think we should continue our strategy of talking, actually. He's totally bad news, but if we chat him up before killing him he might drop some more sweet, sweet exposition.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Gunther Heydrich's got a German name ending with an "r". That means he's a vampire. That's totally a real thing; I used to known a guy called Henning but we found out that his name was Victor. He didn't like bright lights being shone in his eyes and tried to escape from being staked so he must have been a vampire. It's the only explanation.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sorry for taking this long. My internet access will be limited over the next week, which means update will be slower. I'll still try to have at least one update per day (two if I'm lucky and gets sufficient votes before I log off).

-----

We attack Gunthar in the belief that he must be a vampire. (I'm wondering whether any of you remember that we actually have an item with his signature on it?)
Gunthar carries no weapon and you can slay him easily; however, as you do, he lays a hand on your neck and whispers a curse on you. You feel a stabbing pain - lose 3 STAMINA points - and, when you check, you can feel a blood-wet and painfully sore patch of skin there. You now have the Curse of the Healer, so record this in your Afflictions box. Searching the room, you turn up 3 Gold Pieces (add this to your Treasure), but nothing else of value. You return to the landing, open the west door there.
We pick up our very first Affliction! I was beginning to wonder if we might last the entire book without getting one. Unfortunately, it looks like Gunthar is just human, after all. Not only that, but
he's also a good guy and a Healer, who could have not only healed our wounds but also give us a reward for returning the Book of Healers to him.....including a plot token that would help us against the Count. I think this is the first really major "wrong choice" we've made in the book so far.
Oh, well, moving on:
Opening the west door, you see a corridor stretching out towards the west before you. It is well lit, and a thick-piled crimson carpet runs along the centre of the tiled floor. There is a door close by you on the north wall, and another a little further along; you can also see that there is a door facing you at the end of the corridor, and that the corridor also tums south at that point. Will you:

Close this door and open the south one on the landing, if you haven't done so before?
Open the north door closest to you?
Open the second north door?
Open the west door facing you?
Follow the corridor round to the south?
Which way to go now?

EDIT: Adventure Sheet updated.

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/10
STAMINA 8/21
LUCK 7/8
Possessions: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, Garlic, Magic Sword, Shield of Faith, Decanter of Brandy (1 measure left, +4 STAMINA), Silver Mirror, Book of Healers, Silver Key, Book of Swords
Provisions: 4 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
Afflictions: Curse of the Healer
Gold Pieces: 3
Treasure:
Last edited by SGamerz on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Westward, ever westward.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Meal! Delicious meal! With brandy too, hopefully.

And I firmly believe we were in the right to kill him. He was just pretending to not be a vampire. He would totally have turned out to stab us as soon as our back was turned.

West door too, I think.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Hey, I voted to not attack Gunthar, assuming he told us something important (I did think he'd end up being trouble, but you can't win 'em all). Hopefully it won't cost us the game.

Anyhow, let's go west and eat.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We gobble down another meal and wash it down with more alcoholic beverage (at the rate we've been eating we should have been too full to move by now).
You enter a lavishly decorated suite of rooms, with plush-covered furniture, exotic carpets and rugs, tapestries and paintings, and sackfuls of gold plates, gem-studded goblets, decanters, ornaments...this place is dripping with wealth! There is also a person here. Lazily reclining in a throne-like teak armchair among leather cushions is a stunningly beautiful young woman; her flowing black curls fumble over her shoulders and frame her slender, very pale face. An emerald bracelet circles her wrist as she lifts an arm from the folds of her black dress and gestures to you to come forward. 'It is polite to knock first, but you may come in,' murmurs Katarina Heydrich in a husky, seductive voice. Will you:

Attack her?
Or talk with her?
Another Heydrich! Same choice! Kill or talk?

And here's the stats to remind everyone how much food we still have and how much we might still need...

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/10
STAMINA 16/21
LUCK 7/8
Possessions: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, Garlic, Magic Sword, Shield of Faith, Silver Mirror, Book of Healers, Silver Key, Book of Swords
Provisions: 3 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
Afflictions: Curse of the Healer
Gold Pieces: 3
Treasure:
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

An unearthly beautiful woman in a vampire's castle... my instinct says kill it, but that didn't turn out so well last time.

Oh what the heck, stab her!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We know that Katarina is a vampire (or something else nasty) so let's jump her.