Mount and Blade

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Mount and Blade

Post by darkmaster »

This forum has not reached the requisite amount of conversation about Mount and Blade, let's fix that. For those of you who don't know Mount and Blade is nominally about being a mercenary captain in the war torn land of Calradria. What it is actually about is raising a small army and murdering approximately the entire population of the medieval world.

It's very fun and a little janky but in an endearing way. I recall saying that it would probably be best to strap dynasty warriors to D&D and call it a day if you want to do mass combat, but honestly I could accept a mini game that's about troop formation which favors small numbers of elite troops over massive numbers of farmers with pitch forks.

Battle tactics in M&B are really about land formations, if you can get your opponent to advance on the elite crossbowmen you've placed on a hill or ridge well guess what you get to stand above your archers with your form silhouetted against the sky and laugh manically because you win, but if you're on open ground getting charged by heavy cavalry you're only hope is to clump your guys into a wall and hope the enemy's armored fist isn't thick enough to punch through.

And that seems reasonable, the elven archers get crushed in an open field but will dominate in a forest, and the goblin Worg Riders can't take a charge by heavy infantry but will do really well if allowed to run about and skirmish with bows. Each unit type does well in some situations and badly in others. If your archer's lines break your battle is over, you lose, but cavs are actually really shitty in organized lines and are best used in a full charge or running around picking an army away to nothing.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Mount & Blade is amazing fun and anyone who claims that they didn't enjoy it is factually incorrect. That is all.

The factions are also really well done. Each one makes sense within its own unit roster (even if the Rhodoks are weak, they're thematically pitched as underdogs and fight in a very underdoggish fashion) and fun to lead. The NPCs are sparsely done but feel good.

It's a shame that being a slaver is immensely profitable whilst being a feudal knight is economically infeasible, but that's just a balance issue.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I've played maybe like 30 hours in Mount and Blade. I have played like 300 hours on the ACOK mod (basically, the map is westeroes and the free cities, and you are a random asshole in that world, and all the factions are given units that make sense for that).

In the regular game, I feel bad because I basically just recruit and endless army of norse footmen, because their max level are the best in the game at assaulting structures, which is usually the breaking point for the game, where casualties get too high if you don't have the right troops.

But from just building a 150+ units of that you can basically conquer the universe.

Now, on the ACOK map... wow. That shit is great. There is a super unit, Unsullied, and they cost a shitton of money and you can only get them in really small numbers at a time, but once you get a city/castle you can tell the guy to live there. Unlike in the regular game, I feel better about just joining on to some group and fucking around with them instead of having to conquer everything myself. But still, it gets really annoying when someone doesn't give you a city even after you conquer it yourself and have a renown of infinity bullshit.

Although, for some reason, the ACOK guy took the really good tournament system of Mount and Blade, and made it shit. Because you get to use your own gear, but for reasons that make no sense he doesn't want you to know who is on your team. But it is completely random, so you just run around a field charging people who are all your own men anyway and some of them are on your team and some aren't.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Wow, I remember playing this somewhere between 2 and 5 years ago for a bit when it was in open alpha/beta and it was pretty much non-functional. Did not expect to hear about it again. Maybe it's time for another look.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Laertes wrote:Mount & Blade is amazing fun and anyone who claims that they didn't enjoy it is factually incorrect. That is all.

The factions are also really well done. Each one makes sense within its own unit roster (even if the Rhodoks are weak, they're thematically pitched as underdogs and fight in a very underdoggish fashion) and fun to lead. The NPCs are sparsely done but feel good.

It's a shame that being a slaver is immensely profitable whilst being a feudal knight is economically infeasible, but that's just a balance issue.
But, the Rhodoks have one of the best, most versatile units in the game. Rohdok sharpshooters will kill any motherfucker on the field if you position them right and prevent them from getting flanked.

Also just having a bunch of fifes is really profitable, and I have never bothered with selling people into slavery overly much.
Last edited by darkmaster on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

darkmaster wrote:
Laertes wrote:Mount & Blade is amazing fun and anyone who claims that they didn't enjoy it is factually incorrect. That is all.

But, the Rhodoks have one of the best, most versatile units in the game. Rohdok sharpshooters will kill any motherfucker on the field if you position them right and prevent them from getting flanked.

Also just having a bunch of fifes is really profitable, and I have never bothered with selling people into slavery overly much.
I like the Crossbows just because they have more bolts and do more damage in a siege, and so I train them up and then shove them into a castle to defend.

But yeah, aside from owning unsullied in the ACOK mod, I'm not much for slavery. If you are exterminating a faction I like to keep like 50 leaders as prisoners, but I just release all the minor guys.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

darkmaster wrote:

I played around with Rhodok crossbow lines augmented with Nord melee infantry, but I found myself losing too many of them. In rough terrain you don't have the killing grounds, and in open terrain they get butchered by Swadian and Vaegir knights.

That said, a Nord/Rhodok mix is an amazing way to garrison a castle.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Then you were using your Rohdoks wrong, in rough ground you position them on a hill so they can get a better vantage point, on open ground you break a cavalry charge with your own cavalry charge or bunch your infantry up into a wall and let the crossbowmen shoot the enemy to hell while your other guys hang them up in the middle field.

Sharpshooters also really come into their own when you have a ton of them on the field and can just let loose a cloud of bolts on the enemy.
Last edited by darkmaster on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik wrote:

Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

darkmaster wrote:Then you were using your Rohdoks wrong, in rough ground you position them on a hill so they can get a better vantage point, on open ground you break a cavalry charge with your own cavalry charge or bunch your infantry up into a wall and let the crossbowmen shoot the enemy to hell while your other guys hang them up in the middle field.
I evidently need to practise more with them.
darkmaster wrote:Sharpshooters also really come into their own when you have a ton of them on the field and can just let loose a cloud of bolts on the enemy.
I've seen that work well against infantry factions but not against cavalry heavy armies - I have a tendency to fight massively outnumbered, so they end up being too numerous to kill off at range.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

I'm perfectly serious when I say it's probably possible to take down an NPC dogpile that has you outnumbered 8 to 1 by having a bunch of sharpshooters backed by a line of Nord Huscarls and your elite hero unit on horse back if you just position everyone right. It's difficult, and you'll probably take unexcepably high losses, but you can do it another good choice is, in warband, Saranid Master Archers, just because they're so accurate and shoot so fast, though Master Archers aren't ideal for seiges simply because they shoot too fast and will exhaust their arrows very quickly.
Kaelik wrote:

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Nord Huscarls are so slightly better than Swadian knights, that they aren't even worth mentioning. You can use swadian knights for castles, and they work just fine. Although, if you are invading a castle, the best technique is to take a bunch of archers and just wait for all of your enemies to die.

In almost all situations, an army of nothing but swadian knights or sarranid horse guys. Can't remember what they are called... The sarranid horse guys are slightly more mobile, but not quite as tough. But, the trade of is one point only, so it really makes no difference. Sarranid ones never spawn with lances, and the AI sucks with lances, so that makes them better.

The Floris Mod pack is decent. I say decent because it has interesting troops, but there is no way to use the Nords. Everyone got a buff with the expanded troops, except the nords, who actually got nerfed.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Nord Huscarls are actually really good at stopping Swadian Knight charges you just have to order them to stand closer a couple times and the knights will become mired in the bodies and once that happens it's over, the knights are dead, it's just too hard to recover from that and the AI can't handle it. They also have better shields and shield skill as well as just being more powerful and durable.

And that actually sounds really dumb.
Kaelik wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

AndreiChekov wrote:Nord Huscarls are so slightly better than Swadian knights, that they aren't even worth mentioning. You can use swadian knights for castles, and they work just fine.
Nord Huscarls are two points more Iron Flesh, two points more Power Strike, one point more Shield, and seven points more Athletics than Swadian Knights. Also 20 points more in one handed weapons. They also have the superior one handed axes for clustered breaches, bigger shields with more coverage area, more overlap, and more durability, and armor with a better armor to weight ratio. They are also about half cost if that really matters, but it doesn't to me.

They are significantly better in assaults and defenses, which are the only part where it even matters, because once you build a decent army absolutely no one will ever fight you on the field unless you stumble into them in transit and chase them down.

As to shooting sieges, that is retarded. There is basically no way in hell later on that you can shoot a siege out because they have more bodies than you have arrows, so you have to just constantly wail on their endlessly spawning chaff until they are dead.

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

That's not necessarily true Kaelik. Just brining a ton of archers is a decent way to handle a seige, slow but it can work, especially if you're using sharpshooters who handle themselves okay in melee. It helps if you actually increase the battle size, which is actually really easy, you just go to documents>Mount and Blade: Warband>rgl_config

Then scroll down to battle_size = 1.0000 and increase the value of the first digit to whatever you want (note going too high might cause your processor to melt and your game to crash). Also, if you want to position your troops into like, ranks, you can actually do that without modding, you just have to turn the option on in the game files. Find the program files, for steam go to, Program Files (x86)>Steam>Steam Apps>Mount and Blade Warband>Moduels>the module you're activating the advanced options in>Module.ini

In the file find Use_Advanced_Formations = 0 change the value to 1 and boom bam, a winner is you. Now, this might cause some bugs with the language, if this happens go back to the same folder and go to languages, in the en folder there will be a file called ui.csv add the following lines at the top.
ui_order_form_1_row|Form one row

ui_form_1_row_e_|%s, Form one row

ui_order_form_2_row|Form two rows

ui_form_2_row_e_|%s, Form two rows

ui_order_form_3_row|Form three rows

ui_form_3_row_e_|%s, Form three rows

ui_order_form_4_row|Form four rows

ui_form_4_row_e_|%s, Form four rows

ui_order_form_5_row|Form five rows

ui_form_5_row_e_|%s, Form five rows

ui_order_button_fire_at_my_command|Fire at my command

ui_fire_at_my_command_e_|%s, Fire at my command

ui_order_button_all_fire_now|All, Fire now

ui_all_fire_now_e_|%s, fire now

ui_order_button_left_fire_now|Left, Fire now

ui_left_fire_now_e_|%s, left side fire

ui_order_button_middle_fire_now|Middle, Fire now

ui_middle_fire_now_e_|%s, middle fire

ui_order_button_right_fire_now|Right, Fire now

ui_right_fire_now_e_|%s, right side fire

ui_order_button_weapon_usage_orders|Equipment orders

ui_order_button_use_melee_weapons|Use melee weapons

ui_use_melee_weapons_e_|%s, use melee weapons

ui_order_button_use_ranged_weapons|Use ranged weapons

ui_use_ranged_weapons_e_|%s, use ranged weapons
If you want to change what the text says then after the | in every odd text line you can put in whatever you want, but don't change anything else or it won't work. If you don't have an en folder then just add one and make the ui file, it should work but I can't actually make promises there.
Last edited by darkmaster on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I already have all the advanced options turned on because the ACOK mod has them all on, and that is primarily what I play. I still have no earthly idea how you play to shoot 1k people to death with fucking arrows from outside their walls.

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

1K? The fuck you talking about?
Kaelik wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

darkmaster wrote:1K? The fuck you talking about?
And number of Lords can bring their Retinues into any city. When you are attempting to conquer a faction, you are at war with all their lords. Lords have an extreme tendency to escape like 90% of all fights even if you butcher their entire army. Then the recruit a new Retinue whereever they spawn. Lords run from you like pussy little bitches whenever they see you because you will kick their ass. City conquests end up with something like:

Garrison 100-400 soldiers.
King 200-300 soldiers.
High Lords A-E 100 soldiers each.
Assorted slightly shittier lords, 30-60 troops each.

I've definitely Assaulted a City with 1.5k once in my path to world dominance, and I expect similar numbers from other kingdoms if I ever get around to continuing that character.

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

It is actually trivially easy to get lords in your stocks or just catch a city lightly defended. Even if there are lords in the city often if you wait them out they will attack out and let you stomp them on open ground.
Kaelik wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

darkmaster wrote:It is actually trivially easy to get lords in your stocks or just catch a city lightly defended. Even if there are lords in the city often if you wait them out they will attack out and let you stomp them on open ground.
Trivially easy in what sense? If I somehow manage to beat them in eight straight battles they will probably be in my stocks, but in the mean time, I will have conquered 7 castles and a city, so the reduction of lords by 1 is pretty meaningless.

And yeah, I could totally wait like 30 days for them to starve, or I could assault the place now and lose like 10 guys. Not going to wait 30 days to lose 5 fewer guys. Hell, if you run an all Huscarl army you probably lose less people assaulting 1k than you do waiting 30 days to fight on the field against 650 then assaulting 350.

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

If you have pathfinding at all your party is faster than every single NPC party in the game. You can just runt them all down and put the entire enemy army into your prison tower without ever having to fight a big battle, plus, if that many enemy lords are in a city you have a pretty good chance of capturing at least one or two.
Kaelik wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

darkmaster wrote:If you have pathfinding at all your party is faster than every single NPC party in the game.
Which matters at all because? They hide in their goddam castles and cities. WHen you are at war with them they can't go on the offensive, so they hide like bitches while you travel around murdering them in cities. Yes, if you are literally declaring war on someone you are not yet at war with you can in fact start by winning a couple minor battles. So what? They will probably escape, and everyone else will run to a big City or castle and barricade themselves inside until Kaelik and the Huscarls show up to murder them.
darkmaster wrote:You can just runt them all down and put the entire enemy army into your prison tower without ever having to fight a big battle
I really have no idea what you are smoking. Did you edit the INI file to have a capture rate of 1? If you run them down outside a city there is a 90% chance they will escape and spawn inside a city and then never leave again until you take that city.
darkmaster wrote:plus, if that many enemy lords are in a city you have a pretty good chance of capturing at least one or two.
You have a decent chance of occasionally getting one or two if there are a lot of them there. But then, you just move on to capture more castles and cities, and each one has one guy who will escape, or no one, or all the people who just escaped from the last city plus a couple more.

Like, I really have no idea how you set the capture rate to something north of 10%. I really have no idea how you open the console and type "enemy attacks me instead of hiding like a bitch" to get them to actually come out of their cities after you declare war on them.

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

First I no longer believe you have actually played the game. Yes, enemy lords have a pretty high chance to escape, 70% after battle, but I have never, EVER, seen lords just hold up in their castles and wait for you I don't know if your version is glitched or if you're just a fucking liar but the enemy lords might run to a castle if you're chasing them but if you're not in their sight range they are, in fact, busy pillaging your villages during a war, maybe a few won't get involved, but by and large if you are at war the AI lords are pillaging it is, in fact, super annoying and I am unsure how you could possibly miss it.
Kaelik wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

darkmaster wrote:First I no longer believe you have actually played the game. Yes, enemy lords have a pretty high chance to escape, 70% after battle, but I have never, EVER, seen lords just hold up in their castles and wait for you I don't know if your version is glitched or if you're just a fucking liar but the enemy lords might run to a castle if you're chasing them but if you're not in their sight range they are, in fact, busy pillaging your villages during a war, maybe a few won't get involved, but by and large if you are at war the AI lords are pillaging it is, in fact, super annoying and I am unsure how you could possibly miss it.
HAHAHAHA. You are so butthurt for absolutely no reason it is hilarious. For them to get to your villages they would have to walk right bye you. I guess if you like, hand back really far and wait for them to come to your villages you could chase them down, but if you just ride in a straight line from whatever castle or city you just captured to the next city or castle they just stay in their castle because trying to go right past you to get your villages would result in them dying.

I mean fine, if whatever the fuck you do doesn't result in lords clumping in cities because you take forty days to starve them out and then hunt down all the people burning villages behind you after you starved one city out instead of just marching and assaulting that is fine. But seriously dude, if you can't see that your incredibly absurdly super long 30 years of war strategies are not for everyone.

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Stop being an idiot Kaelik, if you're going after cities and castles then you're not by your villages, if you're not by your villages then the lords are pillaging them so when you go back to your territory to recruit more soldiers it aint even hard to run the fuckers down and stomp them and I mean it when I say they will literally start back toward your villages the moment you're out of their sight, every, fucking, time.

That you apparently attack into only the most heavily defended castles in no way effects how stupid that tactic is.
Last edited by darkmaster on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik wrote:

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

When I played M&B, I almost never saw sieges where the defenders numbered more than a few hundred, but I saw huge numbers of field battles where one or both sides numbered more than a thousand, and if there wasn't some 1000+ man army marching around there were tons of lords running here and there alone or in small groups for me to fuck up. That said, capturing enough lords to cripple a faction seems implausibly difficult compared to just taking all their castles and cities after destroying their war effort. Lords don't respawn with their full armies. Destroying them in the field IS crippling, especially if their land is on fire and under siege.

I almost exclusively play Swadians, and run around with an army made almost exclusively of Swadian heavy cavalry. I spend most of my time during wars hunting down field armies smaller than 500 men and single-handedly fucking them up. Occasionally, I would make a heroic yet painful effort to break a 1000+ man siege of a city or castle I did not want to see lost with a field battle. Sometimes with help, sometimes not. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not. I never really figured out what the magical tipping point was, but eventually the numbers become so one-sided you only spawn with a handful of dudes and they spawn with a fuckton and you don't have the critical mass necessary to run them the fuck down and break them. But almost everything was decided by field battles, with sieges being the finishing blow (that I frequently skipped, because having your expensive heavy cavalry die on foot is a horrible waste).