Minor game stuff from around the web for commentary...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Prak_Anima wrote:The actual concept (gaining spells for the day by hunting them in your dreams) is kind of interesting. Everything past that is terrible mechanics. It would be better to just that the dreamlands has regions, which have certain spells that are written up on random encounter tables, and then add a mechanic where you can make a skill roll to look for specific spells.
That would be better but still not good.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally would not play a game in which the GM needed to go off and run a minigame for one player whenever the party rested. That's bullshit above and beyond the call of bullshit.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Leress wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:The actual concept (gaining spells for the day by hunting them in your dreams) is kind of interesting. Everything past that is terrible mechanics. It would be better to just that the dreamlands has regions, which have certain spells that are written up on random encounter tables, and then add a mechanic where you can make a skill roll to look for specific spells.
That would be better but still not good.
What if you divide the spells not by school, but by terrain type within their dream region? Give the spells advantage against creatures whose native habitat matches the spell's associated terrain.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Laertes wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally would not play a game in which the GM needed to go off and run a minigame for one player whenever the party rested. That's bullshit above and beyond the call of bullshit.
Yeah, that's really the problem with the overall concept.

Maybe just a survival check to see if you can get the exact highest level spells you want vrs a random assortment? edit: while automatically getting whatever you want that is lower than the highest spell level you can cast.
Last edited by Prak on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Prak_Anima wrote:
Laertes wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally would not play a game in which the GM needed to go off and run a minigame for one player whenever the party rested. That's bullshit above and beyond the call of bullshit.
Yeah, that's really the problem with the overall concept.

Maybe just a survival check to see if you can get the exact highest level spells you want vrs a random assortment? edit: while automatically getting whatever you want that is lower than the highest spell level you can cast.
That would work for me but that's because I actively enjoy being screwed by random die rolls and having to wing it based on the luck of the draw. If you're the sort who likes making plans and having reliable things that your character can do, then not knowing whether you'll have access to the correct high level spell may be immensely frustrating.

It depends on the desires of the player and the willingness of the other players to put up with it happening in their game.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, it strikes me as similar to the Sha'ir, which sends their elemental familiar into the planes to find their spells. As I understand it, they choose their spells, but have to make a diplomacy check for some/all.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Roog
Master

Post by Roog »

Looks like it was taken from / inspired by Rêve de Dragon. Which I have only skimmed through years ago. So I'm not sure exactly how close it comes.

#edit
Looking more closely the mechanism is not that close. Rêve de Dragon used a map for hunting down spells in dreams, but did not have the closeness = penalties aspect. It still looks like a possible inspiration.
Last edited by Roog on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

It looks like something you could dick around with in a videogame. Wonder if any videogame magic unlocking subsystems could work for tabletop, like...

Shin Megami Tense: Digital Devil Saga 2 has the "Mantra grid":

You start with a hexagon unlocked and you can unlock a hexagon next to yours. Certain special hexagons can only be unlocked by unlocking the six hexagons surrounding it.

Here's a link explaining the system in depth:
http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List ... r_2_Mantra

Here's a link to the names of every Mantra:
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2009 ... raGrid.jpg

This kind of thing is fun to unlock in a single player console RPG, but I'm not sure if it is fit for tabletalk play.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

sleep-induced/sleep-related skills . . interesting . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Ogre, in actual play to look at the new Star Wars rpg or dark hereasy. They do exactly this, and I hate it. Others apparently don't think it's intrinsically a bad idea.

Does anyone know what's up with the declaration about zac not being a homophobe at the top of a random class?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Stahlseele wrote:sleep-induced/sleep-related skills . . interesting . .
That particular one isn't very interesting since all it has is Null-Sleep and Mana Walk(regain MP as you walk). Now Null-Sleep is useful for not getting hit with the Fuck you combo which is being put to sleep (which restores some Hp and Mp each turn) and then hit with Calm Death (instant kills any sleeping targets)
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Leress wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:sleep-induced/sleep-related skills . . interesting . .
That particular one isn't very interesting since all it has is Null-Sleep and Mana Walk(regain MP as you walk). Now Null-Sleep is useful for not getting hit with the Fuck you combo which is being put to sleep (which restores some Hp and Mp each turn) and then hit with Calm Death (instant kills any sleeping targets)
Actually Null Sleep, instead of making you immune to sleep (Null Nerve already does that as sleep and stun are both 'Nerve' category), Null Sleep has the bizarre effect of letting you dodge everything while asleep. Some strategies to defeat the optional double secret super hard extra boss Demifiend (who's the protagonist of a previous SMT game) involve being purposefully put to sleep by one of his minion to evade his "this is going to kill everyone in one hit" Gaea Rage attack.

Cielo (the one with the bubbles around his head on the far right) is asleep with Null Sleep so he'll survive
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

That's right I got those confused.
]
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Krusk wrote: Does anyone know what's up with the declaration about zac not being a homophobe at the top of a random class?
Zak S is a horrible human being who argues in bad faith, holds insane grudges for years at a time, and persecutes people for perceived slights to the extent that he claims to believe (and probably does believe) that any person who ever did anything he thinks is bad is a "bad person" and everything they ever did is bad.

He engaged in his usual insane, vulgar, and amazingly offensive behavior targeting some people of various sexual and gender minorities and they felt harassed and victimized. For reasons that don't make any sense to anyone, Mike Mearls announced that the accusation that Zak S had engaged in horrible behavior towards some people of minority sexuality were baseless, thereby finding Zak S "innocent" in an entirely made up court that Mike Mearls is the judge and jury of.

And now there are some jackasses who write terrible rules on their blogs who have supportive statements of Zak S and/or Mike Mearls on the blogs.

None of that makes any sense, but that's what happened.

-Username17
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

No I get who he is, I just had no idea that people made the header for their shitty blog a statement about how a shitty person isn't shitty.

Is there any logic or reason to it, or is it just some misguided sense of solidarity between shitty people? Is this some sort of "FYI Krusk never play a game with me and also we are defending zac" movement to restore the tarnished honor or something?

I guess I was after the question "why would anyone make that their header?" More than what I said.[/url]
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Krusk wrote:Is there any logic or reason to it, or is it just some misguided sense of solidarity between shitty people?
I don't know. You tell me. There is an entire RPGnet (or was it site) whatever thread of vast size full of assholes congratulating each other that there was "no evidence" of any misdeeds (despite a lot of evidence) because victims didn't want to give them personally real life identifying details and those that did got dismissed because ????

And on that thread Justin Bieber himself was there openly admitting to writing and publishing a real name hit list of his enemies onto the internet for his fans to read. Apparently as part of some sort of defense where in it somehow wasn't his fault that he didn't know that people, up to and including Something Awful mods of all people, might for some reason he doesn't grasp somehow think doing that was somehow bad.

They're current response to being accused of targeting women and minorities with harassment and vendetta, in order to prove their innocence, includes creating and running a campaign to have one or more of their female "enemies" blacklisted forever from the RPG industry for daring to even link to this stuff.

So yeah... IS it solidarity of assholes regardless of evidence or sensible self preservation? You tell me?
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

PhoneLobster wrote:
Krusk wrote:Is there any logic or reason to it, or is it just some misguided sense of solidarity between shitty people?
I don't know. You tell me. There is an entire RPGnet (or was it site) whatever thread of vast size full of assholes congratulating each other that there was "no evidence" of any misdeeds (despite a lot of evidence) because victims didn't want to give them personally real life identifying details and those that did got dismissed because ????

And on that thread Justin Bieber himself was there openly admitting to writing and publishing a real name hit list of his enemies onto the internet for his fans to read. Apparently as part of some sort of defense where in it somehow wasn't his fault that he didn't know that people, up to and including Something Awful mods of all people, might for some reason he doesn't grasp somehow think doing that was somehow bad.

They're current response to being accused of targeting women and minorities with harassment and vendetta, in order to prove their innocence, includes creating and running a campaign to have one or more of their female "enemies" blacklisted forever from the RPG industry for daring to even link to this stuff.

So yeah... IS it solidarity of assholes regardless of evidence or sensible self preservation? You tell me?
I'm curious to see who Zak S considers an enemy, and for what reason. With the amount of time he spends on TGD I'm surprised I haven't seen any of his followers mosey on over like somethingawful does.

How many fans does Zak S and RPGPundit actually have, and do they have actual, significant pull in the American RPG industry?
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Does anyone know anything about Howard Tayler's book XDM: X-Treme Dungeon Mastery?
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

I imagine this coordinated effort on blogs is a result of the therpgsite subforum pundit has as his personal playground, as a result of footing the bill for the hosting. This is where he posts his screeds against the Swine, and boosts 5e without posting why its mechanically superior to earlier editions. It tends to be as popular, if not moreso, than the main RPG discussion forum, even as they lambast Tangecy for this same crime. It's the cool place to be. They've even got their own grognards.txt in that forum now. Not surprisingly, they recently had someone trying to drum up the crusade against Zoe Quinn there. No idea why a misogynist like that would think he's among peers on that forum!
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Grognard talks about DnD Next. Apparently a character from 24 years ago still haunts the Drow, making anyone who wants to play a drow for any reason a fanboy.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I never would've pegged Spoony for a grognard. That's like finding out that Tim Allen was a drug snitch.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I never would've pegged Spoony for a grognard. That's like finding out that Tim Allen was a drug snitch.
Why not? The dude is a big fan of old D&D, killer GMing and WoD.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Sakuya Izayoi wrote:Not surprisingly, they recently had someone trying to drum up the crusade against Zoe Quinn there.
I didn't know there was a crusade against Zoe Quinn, and a brief googling on the subject suggests that this is another elevatorgate, i.e. her opponents may be distasteful but in this instance they appear to be entirely correct and fighting them over it will only draw the attention of foolish bystanders who may assume that, you being on the wrong end of this argument, you may also be on the wrong end of the bigger picture issues. That would be bad.

That said, this is the result of fifteen minutes of googling, so if there is any evidence that the chat logs demonstrating consistent lies on her part were somehow out of context or fabricated, I am genuinely eager to hear them. I want to believe in an indie game dev and journalist scene that is creative and ambitious and not incestuous or deceitful.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I never would've pegged Spoony for a grognard. That's like finding out that Tim Allen was a drug snitch.
Spoony is a flagrant grognard. He has every terrible belief about RPG gaming. Listen to the video about him talking about how Dragons should fight if you want to put your fist through your screen. It's about 4 and a half hours of his nasally voice just dripping with hubris over having figured out the novel idea that dragons should fly and not melee.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.