Minor game stuff from around the web for commentary...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I ran into that problem a lot with my players. I need to revise the questions.

Astral vamps- Nosferatu
Astral Animates- Android
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

In which case, I am totes going with "Android".

Underpants!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Prak_Anima wrote:Yeah, I ran into that problem a lot with my players. I need to revise the questions.

Astral vamps- Nosferatu
Astral Animates- Android
Androids are infernal.
Golems are astral.

there wasn't a change there was there?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Huh. So they are.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

So Koumei is more this:

I wound up narrowly being a frankenstein. Strongly orphic, and 3/2/2 anima/witch/trans. I'm even iffy on the pet one which put me into anima territory, so it was more like 2.6/2.4/2.4
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak, you need to change it then, if Astral is ugly shit. Because I'm not going to be Astral.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Nos aren't necessarily ugly. Remember, Astral is "crazy psycho dreamland!" Nos might be creepy (their distinctive flaw is "eerie presence"), but other than their crazy varied monstrous feeding mouths, they can look fairly normal. Those mouths can be mosquito proboscis tongues or just rows of shark teeth.

Golems are just artificial beings made to do work. Their distinctive flaw is just that they're not knowledgeable about one of tech or social interaction. They're not inherently ugly either.

Other astrals are werewolves, dryads (like Poison Ivy), icarids (mad scientists), and deep ones (fish people, and the ones most likely to be considered "ugly," but even then that's after a few decades, I think)

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Nosferatu will always be Hideously Bald.

Still, it is obvious that if I had the chance to play AS, I would either be Chii* or the vampire type that is Morrigan from Darkstalkers.

*A better example is probably Mahoro (Mahoromatic) or Kurumi (Steel Angel Kurumi). So a "What are you playing in AS?" quiz that doesn't tell me that has failed to accurately model reality.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Morrigan would probably be a Daeva. Since there's some interest in this, I'll remake the quiz.

It occurs to me that a Nos' mouth could also be look like a garbage disposal or they could have a tongue like a hypodermic syringe or something.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And you're still trying to say they're not ugly? With the choices of shark/syringe/mosquito/garbage disposal unit?

And yeah, pretty sure she's a Daeva. Which is probably Infernal or something.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hell, for that matter, they could have just a razor tipped tongue or a mouth like a hummingbird beak. Seriously, anything. I'd even allow a nos to say their "monstrous maw" is that they have blood drinking vagina teeth, and feed through that rather than their actual mouth. Astral is like chaos/warp/that sort of thing.

erik
King

Post by erik »

If I played a nosferatu, he'd look like a Pak Protector by having a beak and obligatory baldness, not because baldness is ugly mind you- I mean I make it work.

But yeah, back on track. Pretty body/face + gross mouth doesn't have to be ugly.
You're welcome.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

But yeah, back on track. Pretty body/face + gross mouth doesn't have to be ugly.
I dated a stripper who had a math habit one time.

(quote tags still fuck things up it seems)
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

a math habit
-Count

edit: note- apparently attributed quotes fuck everything up.
Last edited by Prak on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

I dated a stripper who had a math habit one time.
Math or meth?
Last edited by Meikle641 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Math or meth?
Actually both. She liked meth and was in the physics club when she was in high school.

[lol, this is hilarious]
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Koumei wrote:Mahoro (Mahoromatic)
You think that dirty thoughts are bad? :whut:
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Fucking Pak Protectors, how do they work?
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

^
Rhetorical

But man, I always thought that Protector transformation was a bummer. Ruined my teenaged dreams of getting lucky with Teela Brown.

^Pun

:rofl:
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Wow, as if Vancian memorization wasn't game slowing enough.

The good news is that I now feel completely justified using any defense of Zak as a reverse shibboleth -- even legitimate claims in his defense are just a way for the author to tell me "Josh, you do not want to read the rest of this."
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

all my wat.

EDIT: No, seriously, what the fuck? Now I know how Dean felt reading Paranoia. I actually did a double take: I followed the link, saw that abomination of a class, wrote "all my wat" and then tried to resume my life. I couldn't. I had to go back and read it again, because I couldn't believe I had read that correctly.

That has to be literally the most stupid subsystem ever wrote for D&D. It manages to fail in every possible way:
at the conceptual level: you get your spells from dreams, but now your dreamscape is composed by rigid paths that branch always at the same points. It's exactly how dreams aren't.[1]

at the game level: so you need a specific spell tomorrow? Well fuck you. There will be a chance you won't get it. Do you need two spells that are at the opposite points of the chart? Well fuck you sideways. Are you an elf wanting to make use your racial ability to sleep less? Well, fuck you too.

at the metagame level: The other players will love to know that despite you being on a class whose only ability to contribute is "spells", you lack a precise control over which ones will you bring to the table. Well, not totally true, as once you hit level motherfucking 18 you can finally always start with your choice of known cantrip!

[1] in b4 "muh creativity": Fuck you. Of course you can re-skin the dreams to mean whatever, but mechanically you'll still be walking on rails where after visiting the "Knock" node your only exits will always be the "Spider Climb" or "Burning Hands" nodes.
Last edited by nockermensch on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The actual concept (gaining spells for the day by hunting them in your dreams) is kind of interesting. Everything past that is terrible mechanics. It would be better to just that the dreamlands has regions, which have certain spells that are written up on random encounter tables, and then add a mechanic where you can make a skill roll to look for specific spells.