Minor game stuff from around the web for commentary...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I got the gist of the system (3d6 plus mods). I was waiting for the setting, which of course sets up a Science Fantasy setting and then immediately tells players theres a fight between magic and tech, because we can't just let people use them together...

The characters seem ok (fuck, I wish I could get this level of backstory from my players without pulling goddamned teeth), but "survival" isn't a fucking goal.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Prak wrote:(fuck, I wish I could get this level of backstory from my players without pulling goddamned teeth)
Run a D&D game. Include me in it. You'll get your wish.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Move to Sacramento, or move me to where you are, I'll run.

Also, players keeping secrets is usually pretty fucking terrible.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The setting is at 7min 32 seconds.

Valkana was destroyed - probably by a meteor impact, but everyone has different theories. Later a Saurian prophet said it was because mixing science and magic is bad. So they fought a two-decade war and the prophet lost (so I guess mixing science and magic is considered cool with everyone). This was the Chaos War. Now some evil is coming back - something from the time of the Chaos War.

Major races mentioned are humans, elves, orcs, and Saurians.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Also dwarves.

silva
Duke

Post by silva »

The setting sounds uninsteresting. Whats the catch ? Whay all the fuss ? Is this guy some Monte Cook or something ? What else did he write in the past ?
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

silva wrote:The setting sounds uninsteresting. Whats the catch ? Whay all the fuss ? Is this guy some Monte Cook or something ? What else did he write in the past ?
He played Wesley on Star Trek as a kid, and played and voiced characters who are all basicaly Wil Wheaton in the modern age.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I'm trying to figure out why genocidal lizards shooting ray guns at elves is uncool. I mean, Spelljammer traded on several variations of that, with literal British Empire Hippos on a quest of domination and genocide as one facet.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I wasn't sure why that should be a sticking point either.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Prak wrote: (fuck, I wish I could get this level of backstory from my players without pulling goddamned teeth)
You wouldn't like gaming with me then. I don't even give my character a last name until they survive three adventures and typically my backstory is made up as I go along (partly because I've played with a lot of pleb-tier DMs whom having a backstory is an excuse for them to shit over everything your character cares about. Sure, it's a fun plot device to hear your hometown is in danger, swooping in to save the day, and all that stuff but more often than not the DM kills off your family and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it...)
but "survival" isn't a fucking goal.
Tell that to this guy:
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I was expecting Bear Grylls. Pleasantly disappointed.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

It seems the horror game KULT is getting a new edition soon. The lead designer posted some info on RPGnet.

Guess what system its based on ? :mrgreen:
We are not that interested in just having a number on a char sheet showing how scared a character is. We want the entire game to feed into fears and emotion and dread within the players. We want players to be drained and exhausted when the session is over. During playtests we have had players stating "I will never play this game again!" and then a week later eagerly asking "When is the next session?!".

When talking about rules, we state that the philosophy is based on ideas that Apocalypse World developed well. That game being the first iteration half a decade ago, it had good things and some not so good things. KULT: Divinity Lost has been in development for over three years already, and during this time a lot of focus has been put into enhancing the strong parts and removing/exchanging things that we feel could work better. As we continue with the project we will show more concrete stuff and crunch to the general public.

Please "Like" us on Facebook to get updates, and sign-up for the newsletter on the web page for major news.
https://www.facebook.com/kultdivinitylost
https://www.kultdivinitylost.com

Regards
-Marco, Project Lead KULT: Divinity Lost
Last edited by silva on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

We want players to be drained and exhausted when the session is over.
Sounds about right for bear world. Remember your amphetamines, kids.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Watched Snowpiercer the other day and found it better than Mad Max Road Fury. Recommended.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

silva wrote:Watched Snowpiercer the other day and found it better than Mad Max Road Fury. Recommended.
Your endorsements are worthless.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Snowpiercer got ten rotten reviews, and 176 fresh, with a 95% freshness rating, and an audience score of 72%.

Fury Road had only five rottens, and a whoppin' 268 fresh, has a 98% freshness score, and an audience score of 90%. That's pretty fucking high.

So even according to Rotten Tomatoes, Mad Max is still better.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I really need to watch mad max. But I have also watched snowpiercer and I thought it was fantastic. If you do, make sure you see the international version because they cut a lot of good story out for the movie release in the USA.

PLEASE DISREGARD I FAILED
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Thanks for the info. I was already looking to rewatch it, Ill look for the international version.

Regarding Mad Max, its good, but I feel the hype is stronger than the actual movie.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:I really need to watch mad max. But I have also watched snowpiercer and I thought it was fantastic. If you do, make sure you see the international version because they cut a lot of good story out for the movie release in the USA.
Could you PM me or spoiler block the cut out parts? I'm not going to rewatch the movie, but I wanted to know which I had watched.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Why are we discussing Snowpiercer in this thread?

I found the initial setup jarringly nonsensical, but was pleasantly surprised that later in the film you get explanations for much of the gonzo that earlier seemed to be purely thematic metaphor.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Kaelik wrote:Could you PM me or spoiler block the cut out parts? I'm not going to rewatch the movie, but I wanted to know which I had watched.
I saw what was dubbed the "US" release, and I stupidly trusted the source because the movie felt incomplete to me. Further investigation reveals that the original director got his way and nothing was cut, so scratch that I'm just perpetuating false statements on the internet.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Kaelik wrote:
...You Lost Me wrote:I really need to watch mad max. But I have also watched snowpiercer and I thought it was fantastic. If you do, make sure you see the international version because they cut a lot of good story out for the movie release in the USA.
Could you PM me or spoiler block the cut out parts? I'm not going to rewatch the movie, but I wanted to know which I had watched.
The protagonist ate babies to stay alive in the early days of the train and feels bad about it. But because the Weinsteins (they bring in a lot of Asian films) think all Americans are stupid babies they cut that out for US release
Snow Piercer was fun but I sometimes wonder if the Korean director was just making fun of Americans with that ending. Fury Road though, that film was invigorating to watch. I hope it leads to a new slew of post apoc manga like Road Warrior did.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

Anybody seen the magic mechanics for TitansGrave yet? I watched episode 0 and most of episode one, didn't see any mention.

I ask because while I like the theory behind the *Age rolling system (3d6 with degrees of success based on the one off-color d6 in that mix) it seems like the magic/technology power stuff could completely shit on everything, and they were going to drastically change things from how they function in DragonAge.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

So the ennies are a popularity contest that don't really mean anything. We all know this. It's still kind of interesting that shitmuffin's new book did so well. It beat out the 5E player's handbook for best writing as well as some other stuff. Obviously said handbook is not a good book. But it still carries the hallowed D&D name and brand.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.