Minor game stuff from around the web for commentary...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

erik
King

Post by erik »

Koumei wrote:Sea captains do not innately have that power. You could be a sea captain and gain that power by also getting the license, but it's not just part of the deal. They don't just automatically gain full legal powers over international waters or whatever
This conversation just rekindled a memory from an old gaming session (I had to go digging to find my gaming session quotes archives)
Mark's character is about to get up and speak at the funeral of a prince he has never even met.

Erik: Wait. How will you know what to say?
Mark: Erik, I was a chaplain on a pirate ship. I've probably made shit like this up hundreds of times.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei wrote:Sea captains do not innately have that power. You could be a sea captain and gain that power by also getting the license, but it's not just part of the deal. They don't just automatically gain full legal powers over international waters or whatever - you might be thinking of either the Submariner, Aquaman, or Harold Holt.

But depending on where you live, it can be pretty easy to get that power and you could just be an Elvis impersonator or "some dude who decided he wanted the power to wed people".
Depends on the country of registry. Several cruise lines have their ships fly the flags of countries that do allow Captain's Marriages on the grounds that they can then offer Captain's Marriages to customers.

So it's actually surprisingly easy to get a legal marriage officiated by a ship's captain these days. Even though most countries in the world have various restrictions on captain's marriages or don't allow them full-stop, you can just book a cruise on Princess, P&O, or Cunard and their ships fly the flag of Bermuda and that empowers the captain to perform weddings. And Bermuda is a UK Overseas Territory, so those are Commonwealth marriages and for the moment, EU marriages as well.

-Username17
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

radthemad4 wrote:It's probably for Pathfinder since it has Linguistics and Stealth. Pathfinder has Climb.
And Acrobatics (instead of Jump/Balance/Tumble).
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

http://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2018/07 ... h-edition/
"I can answer this pretty straightforward and honestly," Stewart said. "I don't think there's any plans for original new campaign settings in the near future because we have so much stuff that we haven't explored in a meaningful way."

Stewart explained that over D&D's 43 year history, the game has explored many worlds and settings, but that oftentimes the worldbuilding for those settings were a bit sparse. Stewart said there was so much content and existing campaign settings that haven't really been explored yet, he didn't want the D&D creative team to build a new world quite yet. "I really want to see things brought to their full potential before we start creating new stuff," Stewart said.
Official word: no new content, but reprints and rehashes on the horizon. I am Jack's total lack of surprise.
WiserOdin032402
Master

Post by WiserOdin032402 »

And no new modules either. Man the 5e team must hate money or something.
Longes wrote:My favorite combination is Cyberpunk + Lovecraftian Horror. Because it is really easy to portray megacorporations as eldritch entities: they exist for nothing but generation of profit for the good of no one but the corporation itself, they speak through interchangeable prophets-CEOs, send their cultists-wageslaves to do their dark bidding, and slowly and uncaringly grind life after life that ends in their path, not caring because they are far removed from human morality.
DSMatticus wrote:Poe's law is fucking dead. Satire is truth and truth is satire. Reality is being performed in front of a live studio audience and they're fucking hating it. I'm having Cats flashbacks except now the cats have always been at war with Eurasia. What the fuck is even real? Am I real? Is Obama real? Am I Obama? I don't fucking know, man.
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

Not that this should surprise anybody, but this is making the rounds about a certain someone who is summoned by typing his name. I think we went with shitmuffin as an acceptable alternate? To give this thread some closure.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... 1027572040
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This is the third post about Shitmuffin being an abusive shitheel, but I do respect posting it on a thread that started with talking about his RPG shit.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

I have to say that I'm not totally surprised. Disgusted, and glad she's out of there, and generally enraged at the state of our world (again), but not surprised.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I am mainly angry that people go on to believe in the concept of someone who's only horrible to certain people. People who engage in abusive behaviors towards a specific outgroup the abuse of which is condoned will also be engaging in abusive behaviors every other time they think they can get away with it.