[ArM: BtB] IC: In Which We Begin

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The Unnamed Covenant. 26 March 1220. Spring. (Morning)
Nidratr considers a moment before asking the wolf "Do you know of any animals which obey different members of the group on different concerns? Say, a group where one member is the best hunter and everyone defers to them in hunting, and another is the best at fighting other groups and everyone defers to them in that, and a third is the best at caring for the young and everyone defers to them for that? ...also, do you have a name?"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

A man can be seen approaching on foot towards the encampment. He is wearing a fine black woolen tunic and a cape with a fur collar, as well as fine leather gloves.

As he comes nearer, a grog approach him and enquire about the intentions of the stranger.

-What bring you you here, stranger ?, says the grog, wary of the suspicious stranger.

-Salve ! Would be be so kind as to inform your masters of the arrival of a new guest ?, answer the stranger in Latin.

-
Last edited by JeanPat on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Enjoying the thread. Keep it going.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

"Animals which have different leaders in different activities?" The Wolf looks puzzled. "I know no such thing. It is strange idea, yes? But if humans want to do it..." the Wolf makes a gesture which might be the lupine equivalent of a shrug. "I say still ut is Orsen."

"My name? I am only The Wolf. To be spelled with a The, please."

At that point a servant enters the room. You can hear a snatch of gossip from outside - befriending wolves and bears, summoning buildings from the ground and consorting with freaks like those Italian twins, who knows what'll happen next, you mark my word - and then the door closes and the servant addresses everyone.

"Begging your pardon sirs, but there's another person to see you. I can't make hide nor hair of his speech but it sounds like Latin or Italian or somesuch. He hasn't got shit all over him either so he must be either a king or a wizard. Since he isn't riding a horse I think he's a wizard. Shall I show him in?"
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Camille nods. "Please do, thank you."
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

momothefiddler wrote:The Unnamed Covenant. 26 March 1220. Spring. (Morning)

Camille nods. "Please do, thank you."
The stranger is shown in; the servants eye him suspiciously but make no move to interfere in the affairs of their masters.

Outside in the great hall a group of off-duty grogs have bought a keg of cider from the Ruthenians and are busy drinking it with much merriment. The multiple languages flow together and can be heard faintly through the door.
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

The stranger, who appears to be in his early twenties, enters the council room, aknowkedging everyone at gathered at the tableby slightly bowing his head, slightly raising and eyebrow while crossing the sight of the wolf sitting on a chair. He then begins to speak in Latin, with what seems to be a light venetian accent:

-Salve Sodales ! I must say it is quite pleasant to finaly arrive after such a long journey. But where are my manners, my name is Mathei Ex Bonisagus and it is my honor to meet you.

Mathei then start to remove his cloak and gloves, and continues :

-It is a shame I wasn't able to meet you in time at Three Lakes, but I was delayed... *He pauses* But here I am today, and furthermore with an interesting proposal. *He stops thee, hoping to have piqued the curiosity of his hosts.
Last edited by JeanPat on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

Seing he has now the full attention of his fellow magi, Mathei continues :

- As you may know already, this is a wild and dangerous land. People are bound to get sick or gravely injured... and the closest trained medicus, if one can be found really, is probably at a few days of travel.

Mathei, then smiling warmly:

-Fortunatly, I am well versed in the arts of healing and it would be my pleasure to lend my talents to my fellow sodales in need if you would grant me membership in this covenant. What do you say ?
Last edited by JeanPat on Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"Oh, thank wyrda. I'm much better at causing damage than fixing it."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

Mathei smiles and respond :

-Most of us does... *Pausing before continuing* And it will be my pleasure to heal you should others decide to cause you harm....hesitate and stops* What is your name, for I like to know the name of my potential patients?
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

"I for one would not turn down a fellow maga, or a practiced medicus," Virgil says, drinking deeply of his cider, "To have both is an unprecedented boon. You may call me Virgil, good sir."
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

"Practically, it's hardly a difference, but would you all like Mathei here to be a signatory founder or shall we vote him in after we sign? And have we all agreed to my second draft, then?" Camille nods toward the tablet in front of Petrus.
Last edited by momothefiddler on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"You may call me nidrattr."

JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

Smiling warmly and visibly more comfortable :

-It is a pleasure to meet you all Nidrattr, Camille, Virgil and Petrus. If you don't mind, I would be grateful if you included me as a founding member, after all this is a rare opportunity for a magi out of apprenticeship to participate is such a noble endeavor.

Mathei take the closest empty chair and sits at the council table. He then stare at the wolf for a few seconds and then asks him, slightly hesitant :

-And you, my friend, must be of the house Bjornaer ? A pleasure to meet you as well.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

The Wolf looks up blankly, then tilts its head to try to make sense of this strange term. "Wolves don't live in houses. Did your mother drop you on your head as child?"
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

Surprise, Mathei thinks for himself "What is then ? A shapeshifter ? No that can`t be, the other Bjornaer would never allow one to sit with them, this is well know, whatever the reason they have... Hum... All things being equals the simplest solution must the be good one, he must be a wolf, a magical wolf, but a simple wolf nonetheless."

Mathei then raison an eyebrow, and responds visibily insulted :

- You are either insinuating my mother wasn't a careful woman, or that I'm am some kind simpleton. My mother was a saintly woman and my mind is as sharp as your teeth can be. You would be well advised to remember that, Lupo.
Last edited by JeanPat on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

The Wolf grows deep in its throat, a deeply atavistic warning. "Lupo? I don't know what that means but I dislike sound of it. If this was not council chamber I would rip out your throat.

"I agree to second draft."
Last edited by Laertes on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

Mathei, is visibly unsettled by the not so subtle threat uttered by the wolf, sitting too close all of a sudden. He fell silent for a few seconds, trying to regain his composure, he then answer, pondering each word carefully, looking directly in the eyes of the wolf:

- You could try to rip my throat, Lupo. And I could try not to scorch you with searing fire.

He stops for a second before continuing :

-And how would you like to be called then ? I've never seen a wolf taking offense as being called as such, for that is what Lupo means.
Last edited by JeanPat on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

[[ooc note: the vocative, which you use when addressing someone, for lupus is Lupe, but I don't remember if the vocative had fallen out of fashion come 1220 or not. In any case (hah) Lupo would only be used when talking about the wolf as an indirect object (give to, etc) or when conjoining the wolf with most prepositions. The wolf as a subject is lupus (lupus ate a dude), the wolf as object is lupum (nidratr pets lupum), and as possessor is lupi (lupi's teeth). I don't actually care if you decline the noun properly, but just to let you guys know.]]

Petrus' eyes light up as soon as the words "Magi Bonisagi" fall from the newcomer's lips. "I must admit, I would never have thought to find another scion of our noble house in such a place. I am Petrus, and your skill as a healer will be most useful; my talents lie in the form of Vim, so I am sure we will have much to learn from each other. Camille here has a singular skill in the construction of buildings, so I am sure she will see you outfitted."

Petrus summarizes the lay of the land, and the meeting with the kulak.

"Currently, I believe it would be prudent to secure material resources, and subsequently, once I have refined enough Vim vis for an Aegis, move against these diabolists. Not only will it secure us allies in local villagers, gain us magical resources, and eliminate a threat; it will also improve our standing in this tribunal amongst those who hold the... correct view on diabolism, namely that it should be burned out, as bad flesh is excised from a wound."
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

[[OOC: I sused Lupo, the italian word for wolf as I plan to use italian words from time to time, like in this case when irritated. Latin is so complex, but I learned something new today :)]]

Mathei reponds to Petrus, visibly more at ease now:

-This valley and in fact this entire countryside is indeed less civilised than I am used to. But I am of the opinion that there is much knowledge to be discovered here, for the benefit of the whole Order !
-As for my residence, and I don`t mean that as an insult to your talent Camille, but I was planning on conjuring a tower, like the Founder once did in Durenmar.

Mathei then frowns a bit.

-Unfortunatly, I don't as much vis or silver as I did when I arrived in Three Lakes and would appreciate if one of you could lend me two pawns of Creo or Terram.

-As for material and magical ressources, I do have prepared a few spells over the last year that should facilitate the search for vis and locations aligned with the magical realm.

Then, when diabolists are mentionned :

-Diabolist you say ? *suddently worried* They must indeed be dealt with swiftly....
Last edited by JeanPat on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"I am able to spontaneously cast the relevant detection spells without effort, so I believe we are adequate in that area. I am afraid that vis is generally held in common in this particular covenant, so we would need to know what, exactly, you plan to use said vis for, and why we could not preserve our vis via Camille excavating you a structure."
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

"I mean no offense to Camille, but the magic she uses to raise building from the ground can only produce mundane results, whereas the tower I plan to conjure, similar in many ways to the original that stand proudly in Durenmar and in many other covenants throughout Europe, could be adapted to the the pursuit of magical studies, without archictecural constraints."

"Furthermore, I plan to reside there with my dear wife, and if God permits, our children, install therein my laboratory. It shall also serve as living quarters for my loyal servants, who followed me all the way from the italian peninsula."

Speaking of vis, I remember you mentionned earlier that when you arrived, you found skeletal remains containing infernal corpus vis. If we are to combat the infernalist the resides in this land, I might be able to help. I know of a spell that enables the caster to speak to those beyond the veil of death. Surely, a person that met his ends at the hands of those devil worshippers would have a lot to say..."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"We have yet to do much searching for Vis, as we are still establishing ourselves. We were actually just sussing out the management of Vis, which... I believe Wolf has suggested that Orson be treasurer. I don't know how Orson feels about that himself, however." Nid takes a long pull of cider, "I don't know about others, but I have no vim to speak of to loan out*."

They, in the safety of fellow magi, hardly conceal an eyeroll at the mention of God, and look around the table, "I believe we're all capable of reliably sensing Vim, yes? Perhaps we should do some searching over the next week to see what we can find within our territory?"

*((Is it expected that we start with some Vim? Looking it up in the book reminds me of trying to suss out "resonance" in Mage))

momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

"Actually, it's rather difficult for me to detect vis, and even harder for me to analyze it or examine magical effects.

If you wish to be responsible for the creation of your own tower, that is of course your prerogative. I have no vis to lend for such an endeavor, though. I will draw your attention to this building in which we sit - it is a sample of my work."
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

-And it is quite impressive Camille, rest assured. Very well that settles it, I shall contract a loan with a redcap whenever they should decide to visit us or if someone was to change his mind, I would gladly spend a season teaching his an art or magical theory, as I have become quite skilled in teaching during my stay at the university of Salermo.

*After listening to a recapitulation of the arguments of all sides concerning the distribution of vis.*

-I the covenant where my parens resided, the vis was held in common, but small handouts of vis were given to each magi each year from the covenant's reserve. A different magi had the first choice each year and everyone seemed quite content of this way of spliting the magical ressources.

However, as you graciously offered me residenship, I will abstain and accept your decision on the matter.