[LP] Lesser-Known Gamebooks: The Cretan Chronicles.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

That is the most oddly specific simile ever.

Let's go to bed.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Not participating in this one because I played it, but man, is the writing utterly batshit crazy hilarious.

I hadn't noticed that in the French version. Wonder if it's because I was young, or if the translator said "screw it" and went with a more down-to-earth prose.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Aren't we expected for another bull-leaping lesson? I'm afraid going to sleep here might close that option off. Investigate.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

True dat. Look for the old woman.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

You slip out of the room into the deserted corridors, and prowl the passages until you come upon a scurrying slave.

• Ask where Ariadne's rooms are?
• Seek directions to the labyrinth?
• Follow her to the slaves' quarters to listen for useful information?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Ariadne. We need to make her fall in love with us (although how bumbling Altheus is going to achieve that feat I can't imagine) and so that she will give us a ball of string for the labyrinth.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Ariadne.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yeah, the way this story goes, Ariadne's mitos will probably be ruined by a cat (or a leopard) and trap Altheus in the labyrinth forever.

ETA: Forgot to vote. Ariadne, why not.
Last edited by Sirocco on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The slave directs you to Ariadne's rooms and then goes about his business.
Ariadne's privacy is guarded by a heavy door, but you manage to open it by leaning with all your weight. You stumble inside and come face to face with an Amazon warrior. 'Hello, Altheus,' she says.

• Have you been to prison in Crete? x
'How do you know my name?' you ask.
'I am Lembra, trusted Amazon guard of the Princess Ariadne. What do you want with her? Or is it me you're looking for?'

'I was hoping to talk with the princess,' you reply confidently.

'The princess is in my care: she speaks to no man. So leave now, Altheus.'

• If you have a golden amulet...
• Depart?
• Refuse to leave?
• Take a hint?
Altheus the Adventurous, Son of Aegeus
MIGHT: 8 (4 Natural +4 Divine Sword)
PROTECTION: 21 (10 Natural +2 Rusty Helmet +1 Greaves +4 Divine Shield +4 Divine Breastplate)
HONOUR: 15
SHAME: 9
ENDURANCE: 32
INTELLIGENCE: 4

Possessions
Mother's Gem
Antiope's Brooch
Father's Documents
Rusty Helmet (Protection 2)
Greaves (Protection 1)
Shield (Protection 2)
Harpoon (Might 3)
Divine Breastplate (Protection 4/6*)
Divine Shield (Protection 4/6*)
Divine Sword (Might 4/6*)

The Gods
Zeus (Listening)
Aphrodite (Patron)
Asclepius (Favour)
Hera (Favour)
Athena (Favour)
Dionysus (Favour)
Hecate (Disfavour)
Hephaestus (Favour)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Take a hint so that Altheus can somehow get the idea of using the obvious plot tokenhe received from the Amazon Queen Antiope into his thick skull.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Hint.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

• If you have a golden amulet...
• If you have a jewelled brooch... √
• If you have neither...
You square your shoulders defiantly and the folds of your tunic move to reveal the brooch. 'Your Queen Antiope gave this to me and bade me tell you I was a friend of the Amazons.'

'This must be true, for this brooch is only given to those who have honourably defeated an Amazon queen in combat,' says Lembra. She unpins the brooch from your shoulder and her demeanour becomes more friendly. Have 1 Honour point. 'You may, after all, speak with the princess. The friendship of the Amazons is hard to win, but once gained it is a key that unlocks the sturdiest door.' She leads you into the inner room.
Ariadne's bedroom is sumptuously, but scrappily furnished, as if its designer had known what it was to look like, but had lacked the will to carry it through. Ariadne is lounging on a large cushion, bored, chewing her nails and picking at some needlework. As she sees you enter, she looks up at Lembra with an expression of wild surmise and hope.

'This is Altheus,' the Amazon tells her, 'son of Aegeus, ambassador from Athens.'

Ariadne nods emphatically. 'Yes, I remember him from the feast last night.' She brushes a strand of hair out of her mouth. 'Wait outside, Lembra.'

'My lady, no. After Eliduros, it's more than my head's worth.'

'Don't be silly, Lembra. I wouldn't touch this stripling. Outside.'

One glance at the princess is enough to dispel any notion that Minos might not be her father. There is the same steely authority when provoked, an authority that even the proud Amazon recognizes. She leaves.

Stripling? Ouch.
I'm prepared to talk to you,' begins Ariadne, waving aside your attempts to talk, 'because you're my only hope now. When you leave Crete I want you to take me with you.'

She misinterprets your silence as unwillingness. 'I'll make it worth your while,' she adds with a trace of contempt.

'No, I'll take you with me. I was surprised, that's all.'

'Can you imagine what my life is like in this satin cage, waiting for my father to marry me off to some foreign princeling? I mean nothing more to him. This is no life. I tried to get with child by Eliduros to escape this, but we were discovered and he only got away by chance. After that, I have Lembra watching my every waking moment. Take this.'

She reaches into a fold in the cushions and pulls out a ball of thin wool. You turn it over in your hands.

'What's this for?'

'At the start of the labyrinth, tie this thread to a rock and ply it out behind you. That way, you may be able to find your way out again.'

'How do I get into the labyrinth?'

'You'll be thrown into it tomorrow, like it or not.' And then: 'Don't be naïve. If you imagine that Minos has been intending to do anything else, ever since you arrived, you're being very foolish indeed. Crete can't afford to abandon the tribute, or we would all perish.'

You ponder this grimly.

'The secret of travel in the labyrinth is simple,' continues Ariadne. 'Daedalus told it to me in a rare moment of indiscretion. Follow in the footsteps of...'

Lembra hurries back in. 'Altheus, there's someone coming. You must leave now.'

She bustles you out before you can catch any further glimpse of Ariadne. You return to your room.

You wash your face in a basin of cold water, reflecting on the events of the afternoon. There is a rush of feet and excited chatter outside in the corridor. The door flies open, and Andra bursts in and seizes you by the arm, adjusting the white flower behind her ear with her other hand.

'You're coming to the dance,' she cries, and it is clear that, whether you wish to or not, you are. You submit to necessity, and are dragged through the passages to the throne-room with various young courtiers, none of whom you recognize.

The large hall is throbbing with people, lost in the ecstacy of the goddess, in the burgeoning spring. In the centre, a few courtiers are already dancing to the strains of a flute. Around the outside, people stand in groups, chatting and occasionally picking at the food that lies on the tables. Across the room you see Opris and Noa and you head off towards them, Andra dogging your footsteps. Before you can reach the two ephors, the drums start up.

The main dance begins and Andra encircles you round the waist with her eager left arm. Your right arm firmly grips her far shoulder and with your left, you seize hold of Psyche to complete the dancing circle around a ritual amphora full of wine. As the drums beat out, the ring moves one way, then the other, oscillating in time with alternate feet.

• Is Apollo your patron?
• Are you in favor with Dionysus? √
• Otherwise...
While dancing, you gaze, for want of anything better, at the amphora in the middle of the circle. To your astonishment, you sense that the figure of Dionysus is speaking to you.

'It would be a shame for someone of your spirit to die without a last drink,' the figure intones, seemingly audible to no one else. 'The man opposite is going to kick you and poison you with a weapon in his sandal. Beware.'

You think frantically, as you continue to dance; the tempo and the height of the kicks increase all the time. On an impulse, you lash out with a foot and knock over the vessel filled with wine which waits for the morrow when it will no longer be forbidden. The heady liquid flows out over the flooe and breaks up the circle, forcing all the dancers to leap back in fastidious shock. One man trips and falls, then writhes in silent agony before lying still. The other dancers move forward again slowly, curious, and examine him.

'He's dead,' one cries.

'Poisoned!'

Look, here, on the sandal...'

They have found a blade sticking out of the front of the sandal, which must have caught its wearer as he fell.

'Who is he?' someone asks, but no one seems to know. You return to your room.
Night falls and the last burst of crimson glory receds from the horizon. You gaze out of the window for a moment longer, and then consider your options.

• Go to sleep now, so as to be refreshed and ready for the next morning?
• Explore the palace?
• Take a hint?
• Take an anti-hint?

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Blue option FTW.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Bull-leaping time!
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

^ This.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

• Do you have a miniscule silver bull pinned to your shoulder? √
You go to the underground training-room, where Crabia again puts you through your paces. At the end of the session you are exhausted, but far more skilled than before. Crabia seems pleased.

'Still not as good as your brother, but not bad at all,' she concedes. She gives you a small gold bull to replace the silver one. 'As a star pupil,' she adds.

You have reached the top of the stairs down, and she turns to go. 'Good luck, Altheus,' she says, and is gone. You return to your room, and lie on the bed. Add 5 Endurance and 2 Honour points.
You sleep.
The morning of the third day is bright: you are woken by brilliant sunshine pouring in through the window. Today is the festival of Demeter and the day of your fight with Kremton; today Minos will decide on the continued tribute from Athens. It is with a sense of foreboding, accordingly, that you dress, wash, and prepare yourself for the day ahead.

• Go to the throne-room?
• Wait where you are for something to happen?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Throne room, just because.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Sure, go visit our "friend", the king.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Throne room sounds fine. Staying in our quarters will probably just give Altheus a Shame point.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

There is a very evident air of tension as you enter the throne-room. Polycrates is talking with two subordinates; he is evidently agitated. Opris and Noa are trying to console Psyche, who appears almost hysterically distressed. Lactris, seemingly oblivious, is chatting to Kremton and Miktros. Crabia, the tutor of the bull-leapers, Dipthis, and Minos are all absent.

• Approach Polycrates for training?
• See what ails Psyche?
• Try to patch up your quarrel with Kremton?
• Take a hint?
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Hints suck, I don't thing Kremton is interested in patching things up, and Polycrates does seem to be in a talkative or generous mood at the moment. Let's approach Psyche, who had at least been somewhat friendly towards us.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Talk to Psyche.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

'Late as ever,' greets Opris, but there is no humour in his tone.

'What's with Psyche?'

'Lactris has... thrown her over,' murmurs Noa, still trying to comfort Psyche.

'He always does this,' adds Opris exasperatedly, and then raises his voice a touch. 'You know Polycrates has arrested Dipthis and Crabia?'

'What for?'

'It seems they were plotting with the townspeople to stage a revolt this afternoon.' Opris pauses expressively. 'Not a good morning, all in all.'

You sit with Psyche, at a loss for anything to say.

• Is your patron Apollo or Aphrodite? √
You murmur soothingly to Psyche, aware that it matters little what you say as long as you say something, and eventually she ceases shaking and cries freely. You hold her and nod over her shoulder to Opris and Noa, who stand so as to cover your exit. You both leave the throne-room, and no-one seems to have noticed.
You leave Psyche in her room, calmer now, and return to the throne-room.

'It's all right,' you tell Noa.

Opris draws you aside. 'Are you going to see about Dipthis and Crabia?'

'Will it do any good?'

Opris shrugs. 'It might. Talk to him. Do what you want.' He turns his attentions back to Noa, and it becomes clear you are not wanted here.

• Go to Polycrates and plead for Dipthis and Crabia?
• Return to your room?
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Further the plot. (By not choosing inaction.)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We've been asked to do something to help Dipthis and Crabia, so doing nothing might lead to loss of Honour.

Go talk to Polycrates. It probably won't work, but we'd have tried.