[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 48 - Moonrunner

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Thirded.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Every part of your subconscious self begs you not to enter the Door Beyond, so you hold back and spend one of the most fearful hours of your life, waiting in that haunted chamber of darkness. You are beginning to fear for your sanity when Mawn Pretoragus returns. Looking aged and weary, he says, "Take the settlement and begone." The front door opens - you are only too glad to make use of it. You hurry out of Divil's Lane, hoping you will never have cause to go there again. Make a note of the word "Q'yann" and add the Hand of Glory to your Adventure Sheet. As well as being useful against Gruul, this Ward emits a constant aura of sleep. If you fight a battle while carrying the hand (you may get rid of it at any time by crossing it off your Adventure Sheet), you must deduct 1 point from your opponent's Skill score for the duration of the battle, but you also have to deduct 1 point from your own Stamina at the start of the battle. If fighting more than one opponent, you need deduct only the 1 Stamina point. Now add 3 Hours and return to 200.
Time Track: 7/9 Hours. Where to next?
Kiennar's Curiosity Shop? (turn to 340)
The Shrine of Belthegor? (turn to 334)
The Olde Gaol? (turn to 385)
Willie Johnson, Private Dick, Liberator of the Insane, the Merciful, Cop-killer

Skill 11/11
Stamina 17/21
Luck 09/10
Gear: Sword, backpack, clothing, Inmate's Locket, 2 Provisions, 25 Golds
Skills: Acrobatics, Climb, Disguise, Lockpicking.
Special:
- may visit Alcham Lugosh at Priestsgate by turning to page 64 (SPOILER: it sucked)
- Freed the inmates of Craven Asylum
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil
- The Skull of Mora Tao
- The Shroud of Angevin
- The Hand of Glory (Q'Yann)

Death Count: 1
- Drowned in the embrace of a dozen corpses at the doorstep of Alcham Lugosh.
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Shrine! Shrine! Shrine!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Personally, I'd prefer the Curiosity Shop. But I'd be willing to go the Shrine first.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

You run through the Professor's words a final time: "At the Wayside Shrine of Belthegor - an ancient deity associated with the power of second life - you will find a marble mask set prominently in one of the walls. It is said that he who removes and wears the mask will receive Belthegor's Gift, but therein lies the problem. All attempts to free the mask have ended in disastrous failure. I believe that the answer lies in the odd runes which adorn the Shrine. Understand these forgotten symbols, and the mask will be yours."

When you reach the crowded Southgate Bridge, you feel someone press a note into your hand; who, it is impossible to tell in the shuffling masses. The note reads: "Gruul. The Cabal. Sanger's Beacon. Now. Make sure you are not followed." Will you continue on your way to the Shrine of Belthegor (turn to 210), or go to meet your mysterious contact at Sanger's Beacon (turn to 380)?
OK, here's where I'm starting to have problems with the narrative. The Wards of Notura were supposed to have been recovered from Gruul's tower after the war, but... it sounds like the mask has never been removed from the Shrine. And the Skull of Mora Tao... well, some old dead guy built a freaking vault for it and came back every hundred years to use it. How long ago was this war again?

Skill 11/11
Stamina 17/21
Luck 09/10
Special:
- may visit Alcham Lugosh at Priestsgate by turning to page 64 (SPOILER: it sucked)
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil
- The Skull of Mora Tao
- The Shroud of Angevin

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Eh, a lot of these narratives have problems if you look at them too closely, so I can't give them too much crap about it.

Go to the beacon. It's probably not a good idea, but hopefully it'll be fun. There's a real chance we'll miss something cool, too; when we didn't pursue the assassin at the beginning, we apparently missed both Jason Voorhees and an abandoned theater that would have made our Disguise skill kick ass.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We have 3 wards remaining and only 2 hours left. We're already running short of time and can't afford to waste any more on sidetracks. I say stick to the business at hand and continue to the shrine.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yeah, I don't think 3 out of 6 wards will cut it. Even 4 are almost (?) as bad.

Plus, I smell an ambush and/or time wasting. I vote to continue on.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

To the untrained eye, the Wayside Shrine of Belthegor is little more than a pile of overgrown bricks with a few "funny" carvings on them; to you, however, the Shrine is a window into a distant past when savage mutant beings gave sacrifice to the god of second life. Just as Van Heldenghast had described it, the Mask of Belthegor is set in a huge slab of worked stone and is easy to find. If you have the Tracking Special Skill, turn to 358; if you do not, turn to 159.
We aren't rangers - we're bounty hunters!
Satisfied that yo uare alone, you follow Professor Van Heldenghast's advice and set to studying the slab that bears the Mask of Belthegor. (Take a look at the illustration opposite this paragraph). The runes on the stone are a complete mystery - yet one which you must solve if you are to claim Belthegor's Gift. If you can decipher the ancient runes, you will know where to turn to next. But, if you, like so many others before you, are not up to the task, you may either try to remove the mask by force (turn to 31), go to meet your unknown contact at Sanger's Beacon (turn to 380), or simply abandon this part of your quest by adding 2 Hours and returning to 200.

Skill 11/11
Stamina 17/21
Luck 09/10
Special:
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil
- The Skull of Mora Tao
- The Shroud of Angevin

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Saw this in a videogame.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

^What he said.

Oh, and Silent Wayfarer:
When this is over, would you mind giving an example of how you managed to get all 6 wards in 9 hours? I've never been able to get away with more than 5. I didn't think it was possible at all.
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

what is this I don't even
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Sirocco wrote:what is this I don't even
An easy substitution cipher.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Well. I grow old, ever learning. :educate:
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Many apologies, I was going to reply much earlier.
Congratulations! The moment you finish translating the runes, the Mask of Belthegor falls into your hands. You may wear the mask and claim Belthegor's Gift at any time, except during a battle. If you decide to do so, you will gain one extra Special skill of your choice: pick a new Special Skill and tick the appropriate box on your Adventure Sheet. However, once you claim Belthegor's Gift, the mask will disappear and you must cross it off your Adventure Sheet. Now add 2 Hours and return to 200.
We return to 200, and we're at 9 Hours!
it is eleven at night when you return to Harbour Row. Professor Van Heldenghast greets you warmly and serves you a splendid supper; restore up to 4 Stamina points. As you eat, she says, "At midnight tonight, the Eternal Fraternity of the Rosy Chalice - a mystical secret society - is meeting at the Last Octopus. The Fraternity is a front for the Cabal. You must watch the tavern and see what you can do. I myself am leaving Blackhaven, as I have now done all I can to help you. Maybe we will meet again."

You thank Van Heldenghast for all her help, then you leave for the tavern; but as you arrive... "Murder! Help! The Shocker! Murder!" The cries are coming from some men in a street near by. Will you go and see what has happened (turn to 86) or stay and keep an eye on the tavern (turn to 253)?

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 09/10
Special:
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil
- The Skull of Mora Tao
- The Shroud of Angevin
- The Mask of Belthegor

Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Obvious distraction is obvious. Stay and keep watch on the tavern.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Spocker or gtfo. The shocker isn't worth our time.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yeah, let the local fuzz handle it.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

All roads, it seems, lead to the Last Ocotpus - and not only for you. From a safe hiding place, you see a number of horse-drawn coaches pull up outside the tavern; they unload a variety of passengers, then drive away. Another carriage arrives, the door opens and a proud-looking woman steps out. If you have the Inmate's Locket, turn to 219; if you don't, turn to 376.
Ding ding ding!
With a shock, you realize that it is this woman whose portrait is inside the locket given to you by the man at Craven Asylum! You remember the inmate's words: "Find my lady and give her the locket. She must know." Despite the risks, you rush over to the woman and present her with the locket. You tell her exactly where and how you found it. As you speak, the woman's haughty demeanour gives way to sadness. "Karl said the Cabal was being misled, but I didn't believe him." she murmurs. "Now i know he spoke the truth. They told me he was dead. We have all been betrayed. If you want Gruul, go to Hope's End. You'll find him skulking in the ruins of his Tower of Inquisition. Now I must go to free my husband."

You thank the lady for her priceless information, then begin your long trek northwards. Restore 1 point of Luck and turn to 19.
Spoiler warning: this option skips a visit to a zombie-infested town, much like how successfully tracking down the Shocker would have as well.

Anyway, insert overworld travel music...
It comes as no surprise to learn that Gruul is at Hope's End, for it is there that the few broken walls, all that remains of his Tower of Inquisition, stand - the villain has returned to the scene of his greatest infamies! Why he should do so, however, is another matter; Hope's End is little more than a rocky desert scarred with pools of steaming brown sludge, and Gallantarian soldiers patrol there regularly.

Dawn breaks, and you are less than a kilometre away from the ruin when you hear the rumbling sound of at least a hundred horses skirting a hill behind you. Will you dive for cover in one of the sludge pits (turn to 164), run up the hillside and hide behind some rocks (turn to 215) or wait by the roadside (turn to 280)?

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 10/10
Special:
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil
- The Skull of Mora Tao
- The Shroud of Angevin
- The Mask of Belthegor

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Hide behind the rocks; it's the only option that doesn't seem like it'd have a chance to kill us.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Hide in the rocks and hope we can get there before the cavalry spots us.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Hide behind the rocks.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

You barely have time to reach the cover of the rocks when the rumble becomes a roar and four hundred riders thunder into view! Orcs, Trolls, Werebeasts, Brician nobles - a veritable rogues' gallery of war criminals passes in front of you and their ranks are thick with banners and armbands bearing the emblem of the Cabal of the Werewolfl The entire organization is here, going to meet its leader at Hope's End You wait for the dust to settle, then set off in pursuit. Turn to 29.
SPOILER: Jumping into the sludge is a DNS. Standing by the road is a DNS if you don't have Acrobatics.
When you finally reach Hope's End, you can see no sign of the Cabal, but you do see something else, which shocks you lo the core: Zombie slaves are everywhere hard at work in their task of rebuilding the Tower of Inquisition! And some of the Zombies wear Gallantarian uniforms...

To reach the loathsome ediffice, you will have to cross half a kilometre o[ desert which is swarming not only with Zombies but also with Orcish overseers, wielding their whips with relish. That said, the plain is broken
by lines of trenches and by work posts which may offer you some shelter. If you wish, and only if you have the proper costume and Special Skill, you may disguise yourself as an Orc rogue (turn to 349) Otherwise, if you have the Disguise Special Skill, tum to 298; if you have the Sneak Special Skill. tum to 59; if you have neither turn to 153.
So yes, once again Disguise users can't have nice things.
The best thing you can think of at such short notice is to disguise yourself as a Zombie slave, so you tear your clothing, powder your face with some whitish sand, then shamble on to the plain with your mouth hanging open... CRACK!!!l You feel a stinging whiplash across your back - deduct 2 points from your Stamina. "Yoo lazy moron!" shouts an overseer, standing behind you. "Yoo're in the wrong place. Now get that rock lifted and take it to the tower." He points to a huge block of uncut stone which must weigh a ton! Nevertheless, the Orc is waiting. WIll you do as he says (turn to 265) or pretend you don't understand (turn to 69)?

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 10/10
Special:
- Rotkod
- Lishek's Warning
- Kehsil
- The Skull of Mora Tao
- The Shroud of Angevin
- The Mask of Belthegor