New Spells

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

New Spells

Post by Wiseman »

So I decided to create some new spells for use. Are the levels about right for these?

Mia's Personal Rainstorm
Conjuration [Water]
Level: Clr 1, Druid 1, Sor 1, Wiz 1, Wuj 1
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One Creature, Object, or Point in Space
Duration: 1 Minute/Level
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: No

Originally created for use as a shower while away from civilization, Mia found that this spell had uses on the battlefield as well.

Upon completion of the casting, dark clouds form over the head of the target of this spell, and an intense downpour begins. This can have several effects. First the target of this spell suffers a 20% miss chance on all it's attacks. If centered on a point in space, all attacks through it suffer this miss chance. Additionally, at the casters option they can make temperature of the water, anywhere from super-cold to boiling, dealing 1 cold or fire damage respectively. Creatures adjacent to the target are subject to splashing, and also take 1 damage of the respective type. As a move-equivalent action, the caster can alter the waters temperature. The water remains after the casting, five gallons per minute the spell was active.

Mia's Explosive Summoning
Conjuration [Summoning (see text)]/Evocation [Fire, Cold, Acid, Electricity or Sonic (see text)]
Level: Drd 5, Sor 5, Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect or Area: 30ft. wide burst
Duration: Instantaneous and 1 minute/Caster Level (see text)
Saving Throw: Reflex Half
Spell Resistance: Yes

After engaging in several large scale combats, Mia designed this spell to be able to simultaneously disrupt enemy formations and call allies to where they were needed most.

Upon completion of the casting, the target area is subject to a burst of energy (1d6/caster level), of which leaves an elemental in it's wake. The elemental can have a CR no higher than the casters level -2. The type of energy used determines the elemental summoned. Fire summons a Fire Elemental, Cold summons an Ice Paramental, Acid summons an Ooze Paramental, Electricity summons a Lightning Quasimental, and Sonic summons an Air Elemental. (In the case of sonic damage, the damage dice are d4 instead). The newly summoned elemental remains for one minute per caster level. The spell also gains the subtype of the elemental it summons.

Hotherain's Explosive Duplication
Conjuration [Light]
Level: Sor 6, Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M,
Duration: 1 Minute/Caster Level
Saving Throw: Reflex Half and Negates (See Text)

Always the shrewd tactician, famed wizardess Hotherain-Metana used this spell to mislead her enemies into their own destruction.

Upon completion of this spell, 1d4 duplicates of the caster appear, plus 1 additional duplicate per 3 caster levels. These duplicates look exactly like the caster, and possess any movement modes they have, and can be damaged by any attack but otherwise, have all the statistics of an Unseen Servant. Should they be destroyed, the duplicate explodes in a burst of light dealing 6d6 light damage in a 10ft. burst and forcing the victims to make a successful reflex save or be knocked prone and blinded for 3 rounds. A successful save halves damage and negates the proneness and blindness. At the casters option, they may detonate one of their duplicates early as a move action. Any duplicate caught in anothers explosion simply vanishes.

Material Component: A tiny doll in the shape of the caster, filled with explosive powder.

Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)

Exactly what it sounds like.

This spell functions like Black Tentacles except that every creature who fails their grapple check takes an additional 1d4 piercing/slashing damage per caster level, is nauseated for 2 rounds, and takes 1d6 Wis damage.
Material Component: A piece of tentacle from a giant octopus or a giant squid with needles inserted in it.
Last edited by Wiseman on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:22 am, edited 7 times in total.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

I was going to give more feedback on these, but your mouse pointer thing is annoying the fuck out of me so it's going to be brief.

Mia's Personal Rainstorm
Cast spell on foe, run away. 10d6/level damage is not really appropriate as a 1st level spell, and it's not like foes have many options at that level to deal with it. Also, if it leaves water behind, you should say how much water.

Explosive Summoning
Better than Summon Monster as far as the strength of elemental, especially at higher CL. That's not necessarily a problem, but it might be; run the numbers I guess.

Hotherain's Explosive Duplication
Really not sure than 39d6 (average) plus six saves or be blinded and prone is really appropriate at level 12. I like the concept though.

Evan's
Nauseated for how long? A round a level? This one won't work on everything, but when it does work it's pretty much "SoD, no save".

TL;DR - They're all kind of overpowered, and Explosive Duplication is my favorite. And your sig is annoying.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

That first spell's duration needs to be in rounds to be a lvl 1 combat spell. Also, Prestidigitation is already an instant shower and beauty salon.
Last edited by Dogbert on Thu May 22, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

The first spell is too powerful for level one. If they fail the save, it will kill them before the duration expires. It also acts as a debuff and can create water for harsh conditions.

Most summoning spells don't scale, so that spell will often be better than a higher level spell even without the blasting component. It also has quicker casting.

Basically, I agree with Ice9
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Mia's personal rainstorm is basically Power Word Pain with a save, but available to Clerics & Druids. I'm not sure they really need a SoD at low levels, and Power Word Pain is already pretty gonzo for a 1st level spell.

Explosive Summoning seems pretty fair, although as a summoning spell it should have a One Round casting time to prevent summoning an Elemental and having it immediately take an action. Okay it scales unlike other summoning spells but you can never summon more than one creature, which could be relevant. From the Elemental Wildshape debacle it's pretty clear you need to specify when you say Elemental Creature - do you mean the creatures called Elementals, creatures with the Elemental type, or anything with the 'Elemental Creature' template (i.e. any creature in the game)? The last one means this can summon any creature the caster can think of at any time (subject to CR limits), which seems pretty insane.

Explosive duplication allows you to summon all the copies clustered around a target within close range and then immediately detonate them as a Swift action, for an average of 137 no-save damage at level 12 and six save-or-suck effects. That seems... abusable. Maybe having them appear 10' away in a circle around the caster and making the detonate a Move action might be safer, although I'd be tempted to just say any duplicate caught in another's detonation simply ceases to exist.

Evan's is just a rape joke, which I'd be real careful about springing on your players unannounced. Also it seems a little confused. Black Tentacles references the tentacles making a grapple check to deal damage on their turn, whereas Spiked Tentacles references the target taking damage on them failing a grapple check. Does this mean if you don't make a grapple check to escape you don't take the damage and the forced second check? Also there's no duration on the nauseated effect, and D4 damage/2 levels at level 11 is just pointless rolling.

On a wider level I'd question whether a spell that nauseates and deals DoT in one package is a good thing, as it seems to lead to a pretty severe death spiral. Once you fail a check and get nauseated you can't then make further checks to escape, so you just get to sit there taking damage until the spell runs out. Given how hard Grapple checks are for some characters that could be a little harsh.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Okay, I did some edits.

Also I'm not so sure about having the water vanish after casting, Create Water is a zero level spell after all.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

I don't think the water needs to evaporate, it's just that if it creates water, you need to say how much water, because that's a question people will ask.

And - I guess it's ok now. 10 damage/level is still deadly against some foes if you have the room to run away, but it's not going to kill anyone within the time of a normal fight. Now it's kind of a strange mix of stuff that's very good in the right situation but crappy in the wrong situation. But it is a 1st level spell, and multi-purpose, so - probably fine.

Alternate version - the spell does a total of 1d6/level damage over the duration, to a maximum of 1d6/2 levels/round. After that, it stops being hot/cold enough to do damage any more. That way you're dealing damage that's actually relevant (kind of weak, but it's combined with a debuff), but without the "run away for a minute or two, dead enemy" factor.

Example:
1st level - deals 1d6 for one round.
4th level - deals 2d6 for two rounds, or 1d6 for four rounds.
10th level - deals 5d6 for two rounds, 1d6 for 10 rounds, or somewhere in between.
Last edited by Ice9 on Thu May 22, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Re: New Spells

Post by TiaC »

Wiseman wrote:This spell functions like Black Tentacles except that every creature who fails their grapple check takes an additional 1d4 piercing/slashing damage per caster level and must make an additional grapple check. If a creature fails this check one of then that creature takes an additional 1d4/2 caster levels piercing/slashing damage and is automatically nauseated for 2 rounds. They then must succeed on a will save or take 1d6 points of Wis damage.
Material Component: A piece of tentacle from a giant octopus or a giant squid with needles inserted in it.
This is going to take too long to resolve. Resolution looks like this:
1. Opposed Check (if all defenders win, that's it)
2. Black Tentacles damage
3. 1d4/level damage
4. Opposed Check (if all defenders win, that's it)
5. Caster picks a target for secondary effect.
6. 1d4/2 levels damage
7. Will save.
8. Repeat next round.
That is way too many dice for one action.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Hotherains Elastic Enhancement
Transmutation
Level: Druid 5, Sor 5, Wiz 5
Components: V
Target: One Willing Creature
Duration: 1 Minute/Level
Saving Throw: None (harmless)

The subject of this spell gains the ability to maniuplate their body's dimensions. This has multiple effects.
First, they gain 5ft. to their reach per caster level, though they only threaten out to half this new area.
Secondly, they gain a bonus to their balance, climb, escape artist, and tumble checks equal to caster level.
Finally, they gain DR5/slashing as their body can resist impacts better.

Lyra's Air Lance
Evocation [Air]
Level: Druid 2, Sor 2, Wiz 2, Wuj 2
Effect: Lance of Air
Duration: Instanteous
Saving Throw: Reflex half and negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

Created to demonstrate the basic principles of air magic to her students, this spell compresses the air into a "lance" and blasts opponents over

The caster fires a "lance" of compressed air towards a target as a ranged touch attack. On impact, the target takes 1d6/CL points of magic bludgeoning damage (max 15d6) and must make a reflex save or be knocked prone. A successful save halves the damage and negates falling prone. Creatures adjacent to the impact area must merely make a reflex save or fall prone (but no damage). If the lance misses, it still explodes, forcing a save as normal but no damage is inflicted.

So, I've edited the spells up above and added some new ones.
Last edited by Wiseman on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Hotherains Elastic Enhancement
Interesting one. It's weaker than Polymorph, but so is anything sane. No individual part of it is that great, but the versatile nature could be pretty useful (well, the reach boost is pretty badass if you can make it last longer). Possibly should be 4th level, it seems a touch below 5th.

Lyra's Air Lance scales unusually high for a 2nd level spell, but on the other hand, comparing it to Scorching Ray, it seems about right. Like Scorching Ray, it's good fodder for metamagic shenanigans.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Generally, blasts need either an attack roll or a save, not both. I might make the save only against prone and ditch the half damage. If you don't change that, "Saving Throw: Reflex half and negates (see text)" should probably be "Saving Throw: Reflex partial (see text)".
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

I wouldn't remove the save. Comparing it to Scorching Ray, it has a save, but it's also a damage type that will face usually DR 10 at most, whereas Scorching Ray faces triple fire resistance (Resist Fire 10 is enough to almost negate it, Resist 15 does negate it most of the time). And it knocks people over - no major, but handy.
Last edited by Ice9 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Yes, that would likely make it stronger than Scorching Ray. However, Scorching Ray is hardly a good spell. Also, this sometimes deals less damage, DR is more common than Fire Resistance, and it can't be split to hit multiple targets. It could stand to be a bit stronger.

Hotherains Elastic Enhancement will be very nice for the right druid build. It's a pretty cool spell.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Scorching Ray is pretty solid. It's not amazing impressive when you get it, but it scales up to being pretty effective, especially when combined with metamagic.

DR may be more common, but it also comes in smaller amounts and - most importantly - doesn't apply three separate times. Also, splitting the rays of Scorching Ray is usually a bad option; knocking people over seems much more useful.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Hotherain's Sky Goddess
Transmutation [Air, Electricity, Water]
Level: Drd 9, Sor 9, Wiz 9, Wuj 9
Casting Time: 5 minutes
Range: Personal
Duration: 10 minutes/caster level
Saving Throw: No

Ordinarily, Hotherain preferred subtle tactics, applying her magic towards subterfuge and misdirection. But sometimes, only direct force will suffice. Thus she crafted this spell, to wipe out entire armies in an awesome display.

The caster of this spell is under a constant control weather effect, with a radius of 10 miles, shaped as desired. They may change the type of weather as a 1 round action (which provokes an attack of opportunity and forces a concentration check if interrupted), and it takes effect immediately. The type of weather is not limited by the season, and if there are any unusual or special weather forms in the area the caster is in, they may create those as well. They gain control of the temperature, and may alter it between unearthly cold and unearthly heat. They may also alter the speed and direction the the wind within the area and the presence or absence of clouds. The area of these abilities may be shaped as desired, possibly creating one area subject to certain effects, and another with different weather. The caster also suffers none of the negative effects of weather or wind and does not need to breath.

Hotherain's Storm Goddess
Evocation [Air, Electricity]
Level: Drd 9, Sor 9, Wiz 9, Wuj 9
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Personal
Duration: 10 minutes/caster level
Saving Throw: Fortitude Half (See text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (See Text)

The caster gains immunity to electricity, gains a 120ft. fly speed with good maneuverability and protective winds whip around them, causing all attacks against them to suffer a 25% miss chance.

They may call a bolt of lightning anywhere within line of sight as a standard action. This is a mile long bolt of lightning, striking anything in it's path (15d6 damage, reflex half). Once it reaches the impact zone, it explodes in a 40ft. radius, damaging anything in it's radius. Creatures in both areas are not damaged twice. Creatures who take damage from this effect must make a fort save or be staggered for 1d4 rounds.
Last edited by Wiseman on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Wiseman wrote:Hotherain's Sky Goddess

Too much?
Yes.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

How much?

EDIT: Did some edits myself, toning it down. How about now?
Last edited by Wiseman on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

If this is the toned down version, I'm curious what the original was like.

It still seems a bit strong - mostly the fact that it lasts all day. For destroying an army, it's fine. For an all-day buff it grants really good kiting ability and shuts down anything that can't handle a tornado hard. And while the bolts it gives you aren't anything you couldn't already do, the Wizard is already great at kiting and this makes them even better and unlimited.

For army destruction, I would go with a shorter cast time and a shorter duration. For an all-day buff, I'd tone down the weather and lightning potency.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Wiseman wrote:How much?

EDIT: Did some edits myself, toning it down. How about now?
My default position on spells is that each spell level can be about 2x better than the level before it (this ties in with power growth of characters, and how every two levels (1 spell level) you're supposed to get about twice as strong). You do this with some combination of increasing area, duration, range, secondary effects, etc. Damage explicitly does not work in this framework though, you just get level appropriate damage and a rider effect or other bits to make it work out.

Anyway, control weather is where you start, so we'll work from there. I think control weather is a pretty weak 7, and drop it to 5 instead in my games. So by my estimates, you have about 4 spell levels of increases to work with initially, to get it to 9. But you've dropped the duration a bunch, and that might get you an extra spell level to work with. You've also cut the cast time, but it's greater than 1 round and so doesn't earn you anything (I'd put it back to 10 minutes).

Multiplying the radius by 1.5 approximately doubles its area (it's really 1.414, but then you deal with weird numbers). Your area increase alone is already 4 area doublings, or 4 spell levels. Tossing in the area control and the season independence is probably reasonable given the level and the duration drop. I'd have stopped at 6 miles radius and gone with the old 4d12 hour duration instead, but that's me. The instant effect seems unnecessary in any usecase I can think of.

And I'd stop there. A 9th level plot spell that is noticeably better than the original control weather. To get any better would need a better base effect IMO.

But then you go and add on a better Call Lightning Storm / Chain Lightning effect, one with a range of "sight" that . There's a strong case to be made that those spells suck and are overleveled, but you could build something quite similar to what you have here as a standalone 9 that wasn't a joke. And then there is a buff effect as well... because it wasn't already doing too much.

You could probably make a buff that combined an offensive lightning thing and a wind barrier and flight that didn't exceed 120' per round. But it doesn't tie well to a plot spell about making crops die in a larger area or setting up permanent ice fortresses in the desert. You've got your combat spell mixed in with your plot / utility spell here, and then need to be untangled.

One last thing - the focus. I'm sure it's meant to be a balancing factor, but it's just annoying. Balancing factors don't work, they're just a fun challenge to work around in your quest for moar powers.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

The focus was intended to be more flavor than actual balancing.

That being said, I'll take your advice and divide the spells at some vague, undefined point in the future.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

I'm not completely sure, but I think it's fine now. It still gives you a lot of power while it's in effect, but not quite as absolute, and the duration+casting time means it's hard to use defensively. So - looks good, I think. :thumb:

And I wouldn't go with splitting the combat/other uses of it. Spells with different possible uses are fun. And sticking the plot away from the combat is one of the places 4E fell down.
Last edited by Ice9 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Ice9 wrote:I wouldn't go with splitting the combat/other uses of it. Spells with different possible uses are fun. And sticking the plot away from the combat is one of the places 4E fell down.
4e removed a lot of the plot stuff from pc hands, and I'm not suggesting doing that at all. And this isn't giving a spell different uses, it's giving a spell two parts and making you pay for two parts when most of the time you'll only care about one of them.

A 9th level spell can only power so much actual effect without blowing up the game, and sacrifices have to be made to accommodate bolting different things together. So you could absolutely keep them tied together, if you wanted weaker versions of each one. Thing is, sometimes you want a level appropriate combat buff, sometimes you want a level appropriate plot effect. Rarely do you want both, and in those cases when you do you can just use two slots - because you have more than one slot. Tying both together and paying the cost of that union is simply an inefficient use of magic.

If you want to give them different possible uses, you write those different uses into the spell. But they're the same type of uses, not two disparate things that you get both of even if you don't want them.

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

I will point out that as written, you can surround yourself with a tornado with heavy snow to no detriment. Pretty much nothing can get to you or even see you and the winds do decent damage.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Mia's Mental Mastery
Enchantment (Mind-Affecting)
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 Round
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D) (see text)
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)

The caster of this spell gains telepathy out to long range. At will as a free action they may activate a detect thoughts effect on anyone within this area (gaining information as if they had spent three rounds concentrating and you do not need to see them). Anyone who makes their save gains immunity to the detect thoughts portion of this spell for 1 hour. Creatures aren't usually aware the mind reading (regardless of save success or failure). If a creature fails it's save against the detect thoughts part of this spell, they take a -3 penalty to any mind-affecting abilities you cast on them for the remainder of this spells duration. (The telepathy part of this spell isn't mind affecting, but the detect thoughts is.)

Material Component: A piece of brain matter from a [Psionic] creature.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Lightning Strike
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Druid 6
Components: V, S
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Reflex half

The caster of this spell gains the ability to call down bolts of lightning from above as a standard action for the duration of the spell. Each bolt is a column with a radius anywhere from 5-20 feet, a height of 5 miles (if inside the height is as tall as the ceiling) and deals 1d8 electricity damage per caster level. Creatures who fail their save start Jittering for 1 round per caster level. The caster may call a bolt of lightning down as part of the action of casting this spell.

If you are outdoors and in a stormy area—a rain shower, clouds and wind, hot and cloudy conditions, or even a tornado (including a whirlwind formed by a djinni or an air elemental of at least Large size) the damage is upgraded to d12 damage and targets take a -3 penalty to their save.
Last edited by Wiseman on Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RadiantPhoenix wrote: