Let's make evil OP...

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Dogbert
Duke

Let's make evil OP...

Post by Dogbert »

...after all, it's not like players would ever want to be ev41, would they?

I just wanted to share that, one month ago, I played a lvl 2 necromancer with a retinue of 5 shadows (it all started as a hostile encounter involving 1 shadow and 6 tieflings...)

Is it just me or Rebuke Undead (or Power Over Undead in PF) kinda breaks the game as soon as viral undead enter the picture? Right now my necro is lvl 4 and has 22 shadows... I even deflected MC's attempt at dick waving by WTF0wning the Osylut he put there for his ubah NPC to beat while the PCs (were supposed to) just stare in awe from the kids' table.

...furthermore, he committed the mistake of providing us on session 3 with an indestructible scroll case made of handwavium, which I'll now use to safe-keep my shadow army (and future incorporeal undead in our way, but I somehow doubt we'll see more of them in game) so they won't just go poof at the first fireball.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So how did your level 2 Necromancer count as a level 10 one for the purpose of Turning in order to Rebuke -> Command a 2(+3) HD Shadow?

Other than that, yes, once you can command spawners it goes crazy and people who play the game tend to know that.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Doesn't work like that anymore Koumei, it's a charisma-based will save (10+1/2 level+Cha).

What is notable about the new rebuking is that intelligent undead get a save every day, but as they are treated as under control undead, I'm not sure if you can just arbitrarily command them to fail their saves. Pathfinder!
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Doesn't work like that anymore Koumei, it's a charisma-based will save (10+1/2 level+Cha).

What is notable about the new rebuking is that intelligent undead get a save every day, but as they are treated as under control undead, I'm not sure if you can just arbitrarily command them to fail their saves. Pathfinder!
Seems like you could just order the first one to make a spawn, then order him to order his spawn to always obey you, then kill the first one. Then you would not have daily saves for the second one, who is your new number one guy.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Don't spawn stop following the orders of their creator when their creator dies?
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

rampaging-poet wrote:Don't spawn stop following the orders of their creator when their creator dies?
I don't know, probably depends on the spawn. I know vampire Spawn get to be real Vampires or something, but not sure about Shadows. Replace it with "lock in a closet" if you really need to.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

I just checked the Pathfinder SRD, and it looks like Shadows are the only core undead that didn't get the now-standard explicit statement that spawn become free-willed after their creator's destruction. Shadow spawn are also the only spawn that don't get a bunch of penalities for being spawn. They are therefore the best choice for a necromancer creating a self-perpetuating undead horde. Wights are next on the list because they are easy to lock in a closet.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Sadly, it's hard to get a closet to lock a wight army in when you're a nomadic murderhobo.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

No one said you have to stay with the closet. Lock it in some random commoner's closet then leave town.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

"Honey, where's my coa— Oh sweet Pelor the pain!"
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dogbert wrote:Sadly, it's hard to get a closet to lock a wight army in when you're a nomadic murderhobo.
You don't lock an army in a closet. You lock the one monster you turned in the closet, and the rest all obey you forever without out question. So that one can be literally anywhere in the universe and you don't care, because you have a giant army that obeys you without question as long as that one is alive. So put him in a portable hole, and then just keep the hole closed forever.

Although, as mentioned, Shadows you can totally just kill the first one and have the rest follow your orders forever.

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Control Undead is arguable better. It has duration: yes, and there is no rolling involved.

But yes. Undead is Real Ultimate Power, and also available right out of the gate.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Kaelik wrote:You lock the one monster you turned in the closet, and the rest all obey you forever without out question. So that one can be literally anywhere in the universe and you don't care, because you have a giant army that obeys you without question as long as that one is alive. So put him in a portable hole, and then just keep the hole closed forever.
Ok, GREAT advice, thanks!