Where's a good catalog of judeo-christian monsters?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Where's a good catalog of judeo-christian monsters?

Post by OgreBattle »

Burning wheel Angels, demons that teach you math, leviathans and ziz, and so on. If there's even more obscure stuff that appears outside of the bible that'd be even better.

The closest thing I can think of is the Shin Megami Tensei bestiary http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Angel which usually sticks to mythology with how they portray 'em.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

hah!
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Whichever dominions faction it is that has all the cool old testament angels might help.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

OgreBattle wrote:The closest thing I can think of is the Shin Megami Tensei bestiary
Oh HELL YEAH! I find that they make that mythology interesting, and/or showcase how awesome it COULD be. It's definitely material I would look at for ideas, if/when I'd do some God-of-war-esque one-shot/short campaign of taking down the Judeo-Christian Mythology (Though never played/read Feng-Shui, nor I know how "complete" material in that link is exactly).
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Somewhere in older editions, the three angelic choirs were stated out. They were updated here. (Scroll down a bit to find the angels.)

Though they are kind of crappy. Maybe I should do my own version...
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Wiseman wrote:Somewhere in older editions, the three angelic choirs were stated out. They were updated here. (Scroll down a bit to find the angels.)

Ho- Li- Shit-

And it's OGL too. Though with a rather insane Section 15.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

Testament has quite a few you could use.
Psychic Robot wrote:chock full of aspie
"BEEP BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE"
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Wiseman wrote:Somewhere in older editions, the three angelic choirs were stated out. They were updated here. (Scroll down a bit to find the angels.)

They are named after the choirs, but all of them are humans with wings wielding greatswords.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

To be honest, that's most angels in D&D.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
8d8
Apprentice

Post by 8d8 »

Yeah the angels in D&D have little in common with Judao-Christian angels aside from the name. And really, they aren't very interesting. I always thought the spirits in the Hindu/Buddhist tradition would make much more interesting D&D creatures.
TheNotoriousAMP
Journeyman

Post by TheNotoriousAMP »

Just take a perusal through the books of Ezekiel and Revelations. They aren't that long and are super freaking trippy. You'd get a better feel for the monsters than through more modern interpretation books.

Plus, big thing to remember is that when angels say, "I come in peace", in the bible, it doesn't mean they are nice guys. Its means "don't freak the fuck out, I'm not here to bring the hammer of God down on you like normal". In the old testament Jacob wrestles with an Angel and when the Angel can't win, he breaks his hip to gain an advantage. So classic Old Testament angels are actually perfect monsters to add in. Not to mention that theologically archangels are the weakest not strongest of the angels like most assume, so you can fuck with your players that way. They're messengers and a bridge between humans and the divine, not the rulers of angels like a ton of people assume.

Biggest thing to do with Old Testament monsters is to emphasize the impersonality of it all. You're being fucked and you don't really don't know why or maybe haven't even done anything wrong. The Book of Job is basically Satan (not evil Satan, but "tester of people Satan") and God arguing over whether or not Satan can cause Job to lose his faith by repeatedly crushing his life.

Anywhoo, Ezekiel, Job and Revelations, with maybe some genesis. You can read them all for free online and they are all great inspirations for some different monsters, who will truly seem alien to your players. Avoid using more modern books because they tend to bring the monsters into line with how modern Judeo Christianity views the divine, divine powers and the nature of punishment. The originals don't take that much time and are a great source.
Last edited by TheNotoriousAMP on Fri May 09, 2014 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »