Zero Buzz on 5E...Is It Dead Out The Gate?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

If he becomes a regular, he could have the mods change his name to "Exactly Several Points to Make." It's both an inside joke and a stand-alone gag. Hurrah!
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Kaelik wrote:Except that now he is forever trapped. He has a username, so if he wants to post, he can. But if he ever does about anything else at all at any point, he immediately loses like 95% of the username's coolness.
I was assuming he would show up in other threads and repeat random snatches of linguistic discussion about the word "psionic" like a Pokemon.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Exactly One Point to Make wrote:And it's modern use that's important here.
And by 'modern use' I take it you mean you mean
someone at my table in the 80's
I have never in my life encountered "psi" as referring to a person with psionic abilities. "Psion", sure, but "psi" as a noun in my experience has only ever referred to psionics. MW gives me a single relevant noun usage, which is to the set of phenomena as a whole. Synonymous with "psionics". In nearly the same way as if it were an abbreviation. Gosh.

Has anyone else here had experience that leads to the sentence "she's a psi" being remotely valid? Because I sure haven't, and my dictionary lookup isn't gonna be relevant because we can only care about 'modern usage', which is apparently indistinguishable from anecdotes.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

momothefiddler wrote:Has anyone else here had experience that leads to the sentence "she's a psi" being remotely valid? Because I sure haven't, and my dictionary lookup isn't gonna be relevant because we can only care about 'modern usage', which is apparently indistinguishable from anecdotes.
If you want anecdotes - I've heard it used so. I wouldn't call it correct, but a lot of RL speech isn't correct.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I feel like I've read psi being used like that, maybe in the Federation Of The Hub series, but only as an in-setting slang term.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Orca wrote:If you want anecdotes - I've heard it used so. I wouldn't call it correct, but a lot of RL speech isn't correct.
name_here wrote:I feel like I've read psi being used like that, maybe in the Federation Of The Hub series, but only as an in-setting slang term.
Very well. I'm incorrect; psi is a valid term for users of psionic powers and, by extension, for various other aspects such as the power source as a whole.

"What is Psi?" works.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Psi seems to be commonly used in Sci Fi, and thus has very strong sci fi connotations, which otherwise uses the term psychic rather than psionic (generally speaking). Given that, I would suggest that it's better to stick to Psionic(s) or Psionic Powers for a fantasy game.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

Earthbound got me hooked on the idea of Psi as a self-contained term. At that age I was only vaguely aware of D&D Psionicists, mostly so I could figure out how the mechanics on that cute little evil platypus skeleton worked.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

momo wrote:Has anyone else here had experience that leads to the sentence "she's a psi" being remotely valid? Because I sure haven't, and my dictionary lookup isn't gonna be relevant because we can only care about 'modern usage', which is apparently indistinguishable from anecdotes.
I would say "She has psi." in the same way that I would say "She has magic." and not "She's a magic."

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think such constructions were used in Babylon 5, since psychics, or rather, telepaths, were basically all registered by Psi Corps. It's been a long time, but I'm reasonably certain that they were colloquially called psis individually.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

I've never heard of "psi" being a thing other than an abbreviation, FWIW. Not that "psionic" is all that common either - "psychic" would be the one that shows up the most.

"What are psychic abilities?"
"She's a psychic." / "She has psychic abilities."
And so forth. Could be "powers" instead of "abilities", for that matter.
Last edited by Ice9 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

TiaC wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Except that now he is forever trapped. He has a username, so if he wants to post, he can. But if he ever does about anything else at all at any point, he immediately loses like 95% of the username's coolness.
I was assuming he would show up in other threads and repeat random snatches of linguistic discussion about the word "psionic" like a Pokemon.
I was thinking something along those line and if I may be so bold as to suggest an avatar...

Prak wrote:I think such constructions were used in Babylon 5, since psychics, or rather, telepaths, were basically all registered by Psi Corps. It's been a long time, but I'm reasonably certain that they were colloquially called psis individually.
Nah. They had Psi Corps, and a Psi scale where they labeled telepaths by P-ratings for how strong they were (P1, P2, etc.). Individually they were called telepaths or referred to by their P-rating.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Like I said, it's been a very long time, so I wasn't sure. But the fact that they were referred to as just telepaths sounds about right.

Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

My table(s) have always used "psion" and 'psychic" relatively interchangeably to refer to characters with Psionic abilities - thinking about it, I'd bet it's largely due to the pop culture influence of late 80s and early 90s XMEN comics, since they so heavily featured Professor X and Jean Grey in their arguably most powerful incarnations ever. They were always referred to as "psionic" individuals, IIRC.
Last edited by Ferret on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exactly One Point to Make
NPC

Post by Exactly One Point to Make »

I don't have a copy on-hand, but I think GURPS Psionics, First Ed. (the one that had a world background with an organization called the Phoenix Project) used psis-as-people.* That's in the 90's, though, not the 80's. I have no texts at hand, at the moment, to note the behavior of myself and my peers back 'inna day.

The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, which has authority because it's on the web and written with a sober font, uses the term "Psi Powers."
http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/psi_powers

Alan Dean Foster's Humanx also used the term "psi," and I think it referred to people as psis, but I cannot possibly remember that for sure, and since GURPS did a version of that universe, there's a risk of misremembering on my part. His first Humanx novel dates to 1972, and the main(ish) character was a psi.

Anecdotally, I, personally, never ever used "psion" or even heard that used until D&D made that a thing, and I never heard that term used outside of D&D. Doesn't mean it wasn't in use, though outside that, though.
*It also had cute slang that caught on with absolutely no one ever:
teek = someone with telekinesis
freak = psi, someone with non-latent psionic powers
geek = someone with no powers
teek the geek = hurt a non-psi with psionic powers
DSMatticus wrote:If he becomes a regular, he could have the mods change his name to "Exactly Several Points to Make." It's both an inside joke and a stand-alone gag. Hurrah!
I acknowledge the username's limitations and suffer them gladly for the sake of a barely-noticeable joke. Indeed, this account shall likely walk into the sunset, its work complete.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Google search results:
"He's a psi": 10,200
"He's a psion": 14,300
"He's a psionic": 15,400
"He's a psychic": 148,000

"He's psi": 464
"He's psionic": 630
"He's psychic": 17,400

"He has psi": 103,000
"he has psi" -"powers": 70,200
"He has psi powers": 10,800
"He has psionic powers": 28,300
"He has psychic powers" 43,000

Psi looks a lot like a catch all for everything under the sun, provided all the things under that sun have something to do with psychic powers.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

psyker, psion, psychic, newtype, psychic to refer to users of psychic powers is what I'm familiar with. psi would be an abbreviation to refer to the power itself or "psi points" to describe game mechanics.

Psycom would be a neat abbreviation for a psychic commando or psychic command organization. I'm surprised 'psy-co' isn't an abbreviation in RIFTS for psychic commandos. It sure sounds better than Crazy to me.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Babylon 5 had telepaths, or 'teeps' for short. There were technically telekinetics in the setting, but most of them were insane to the point of being institutionalized, so it rarely came up.

'Psi' is occasionally an informal or slang term for a psychic. It's used to refer to people as as well as the skill, much like 'psychic' itself is.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
martian_bob
1st Level

Post by martian_bob »

Star Trek TOS used "Esper", a backformation from ESP. I think Final Fantasy might have appropriated the term too?

To control for gender differences in the Google searches...

"She's a psychic": 98,100 vs. 148,000
"She has psi": 51,100 vs. 103,000
"She has psi" -"powers": 28,100 vs. 70,200
"She has psychic powers" 11,600 vs. 43,000
"She has psionic powers": 17,600 vs. 28,300
"She's psychic": 113,000 vs. 17,400
"She's a psionic": 13,500 vs. 15,400
"She's a psion": 3,950 vs. 14,300
"She's a psi": 8,710 vs. 10,200
"She's psionic": 283 vs. 630
"She's psi": 357 vs. 464

I haven't run a regression, but it looks like there's a strong gender component to just that one outlier.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Final fantasy has since replaced esper with eidolon in remakes
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

martian_bob wrote:Star Trek TOS used "Esper"
Wait, they did? I'm not saying they didn't, I just don't remember it. I thought they used "telepath" and the like?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Esper seems to be the common name in Japanese fiction, but I don't see it much in English media. The first episode of Star Trek did use ESP as the term, but I don't recall them actually using Esper.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy Espers are unrelated. I always assumed that "esper" was chosen because it vaguely sounds like "spirit" and sounds quite a lot like "esprit." The Japanese release calls then"genjuu;" if they meant to reference ESP they would probably have done so in the original as well as the translation.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esper_(fiction)

Esper was used in the second pilot episode of the Original Series of Star Trek called "Where no man has gone before"
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

I just read the Mystic class UA article, and I noticed that all of the saves against psionic effects are INT based...which makes perfect sense because the game needs more INT saves and they have to go somewhere, right? right?
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.