Zero Buzz on 5E...Is It Dead Out The Gate?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Do you think that it's too early to start a D&D Deathwatch thread?

I mean, between Dungeonscape getting completely cancelled, the DMG being delayed two months, and no clear release schedule it's obvious that the edition is in its death throes.
This is an absolute disaster. I don't know much about that Dungeonscape thing, but its termination doesn't sound favorable. And the DMG looks like it's going to be full of garbage.

But maybe craziest of all... what the fuck is up with the release schedule! As you mention, it's got nothing. I don't think I've seen anyone else talk about this, but seriously what the fuck? I know core books are the most profitable, but I'm surprised there isn't anything else.

What about all the promised modules for customizing the game? Isn't there supposed to be a bunch of stuff, like tactical combat and dramatic storytelling and crap like that?

Conveniently enough, you will note that none of the old Legends & Lore articles seem to be available after the latest WotC website makeover. For example, Mearls' article where he talks about the modules they were going to make, which is supposed to be here, is now a dead link.

So they have erased evidence of Mearls' promises. But we still know the bullshit promises he made, because I quoted them in another thread:
Mike Mearls wrote:An optional tactical combat system, with rules for using miniatures, rules for combat that operate like 3rd Edition or 4th Edition in that they remove DM adjudication of things like cover, and expanded, basic combat options to allow for forced movement, tanking, and so forth, as options any character can attempt. This optional system will look a bit like AD&D’s Player’s Option: Combat and Tactics book with key lessons learned from 4th Edition. Its goal is to present combat as a challenging puzzle that pits the players against the DM, capturing the best parts of 4th Edition.

An optional dramatic system that emphasizes D&D as a storytelling activity. This system treads ground that D&D hasn’t formally embraced in the past. It casts a gaming group as collaborative storytellers, with the DM managing the action and everyone contributing events, plots twists, and sudden, dramatic turns.

An optional system that cranks up character customization by allowing players to build their own subclasses. This system is really more of a set of guidelines that let you mix and match abilities pulled from subclasses within a class. You can approach it as a DM tool (“In my setting, the wizards of the Burning Isle combine illusion and necromancy”) or as a way for players to have more choice in building characters. We’re making this system optional because we know that some players want a lot of ways to customize their characters, but more customization invariably leads to broken combos. We can manage combinations and fairness at the subclass and feat level, but slicing things much finer than that goes beyond what we can reasonably expect to playtest.

A campaign system that extends the action beyond the day-to-day adventures, focusing on what we’ve called downtime. This includes managing a domain, running a business, playing politics on a grand scale, and so on. Things like mass combat would naturally slot into this system.
Now, make no mistake -- 5e sucks and all of these modules would have been terrible. But these modules were part of the sales pitch for 5e. Some people who like 5e probably want this stuff, and expected it. MODULES! CUSTOMIZE! AWESOME! These are things 5e was supposed to deliver. It's not happening.

5e has failed.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I'm am shocked that it is failing right out the gate. It is very eerie to me that they couldn't even launch the core of the product before goofing up so noticeably. I didn't have high hopes for 4E before it came to shelves but damnit they got the product out without nearly as much doom and gloom as this one. How is it that they are actually getting 'worse' at this?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Are they getting worse? Or have they simply failed to improve after burning through all their goodwill?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chamomile wrote:Are they getting worse? Or have they simply failed to improve after burning through all their goodwill?
I think MGuy is right. I mean, the 4e game was a clustefuck on release - the Skill Challenge rules had never been playtested and the numbers given were on the wrong side of complete insanity. As written, the skill challenges were so ridiculously hard that even if you min/maxed the fuck out of it and only had one character spam the party's best skill over and over again you still almost always failed. Anyone who playtested that piece of shit even three times would have noticed that the outputs were fucked. But the thing is... they did release something. There was an actual product which appeared to be complete within its own standards that they sold for money. People who didn't know math were out there defending that piece of garbage because it looked like a complete game.

D&DN hasn't managed that. They don't have a pack of 4vengers telling us that whatever hot garbage is in the books is real and whole and complete and the future. Because there fucking isn't a complete book set out yet, and everybody knows it.

I'm a harsh critic, I have high standards for calling an RPG product "good." But I don't have high standards in calling something "complete." This shit isn't complete. It's not up to the incredibly low criteria of "does it exist?" We're talking Onyx Path levels of vaporware here. I mean, I got a lot of flack for my prediction that 5e was vaporware, by which I meant merely that there wasn't ever going to be real design work done and the wild promises they had made about what the product was going to contain were in no way going to be delivered on. I never really dreamed that they wouldn't have a physical product at all. I mean, that's a level of dereliction of duty that exceeded even my most pessimistic and hyperbolic predictions from 21 months ago.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

It was only delayed a couple weeks to my knowledge; which makes the release pattern wonky, but not exactly vaporware, using the definition of "never actually released" since I'm certain that it will be released. Not that it invalidates the point you're making, since your definition is different, and by that rubric it's true.

What about advertised product release schedules? What were they like at the core book release stage for the prior two editions?
Last edited by virgil on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

http://tribality.com/2014/10/31/mike-me ... on-reddit/

So hey, this thing.
subreddit RPG will be hosting Mike Mearls (one of the Lead Designers of D&D 5e) for an Ask Me Anything (AMA) on Monday, November 3rd, 2014. The exact time has not been set, but it should kick off around 10:00 AM Pacific Time.
I know reddit has a reputation in the rest of the Internet as being Image central. But! Here's my proposal.

The TGD comes up with a list of hard-hitting questions and we have people from this board each ask him one. They'll be tough but non-trollish questions. Nothing like 'so when are you going to go back and finish Iron Heroes' or 'what compelled you to make Bruce Cordell your 2nd-in-command for so long?'. I mean questions like...

[*] What's the release schedule for 5E D&D looking like? What major books do you plan to release in 2015 and in what month?
[*] What kind of sales numbers will Hasbro be happy with in 2015?
[*] What are you doing for digital tools now that Trapdoor has been let go? Will there be PDF releases of 5E D&D?
[*] What were the two biggest reasons 4E D&D had the hammer brought down on it and how does 5E D&D fix that?
[*] Does 5E D&D have any promotional media lined up for it such as movies, games, television shows, etc.? Your exclusivity contract with Atari expires in 2015; will you renew it or do you have another partner in mind?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

virgil wrote:It was only delayed a couple weeks to my knowledge; which makes the release pattern wonky, but not exactly vaporware, using the definition of "never actually released" since I'm certain that it will be released.

What about advertised product release schedules? What were they like at the core book release stage for the prior two editions?
Well, 4th edition went a bit overboard, with "core" products advertised for every month of the remaining year (remember: even shit like Open Grave and Draconomicon 1: Chromatic Dragons were labeled as Core), and the PHB2 and DMG2 proudly penciled in for the following year. But yeah, 3.5 and 3e had materials on the schedule for a pretty distant horizon on release (but a lot of 3e's materials were softcover books like Sword & Fist).

Looking back at my Vaporware predictions, the game that Monte Cook was promising in 2012 actually did get wrapped up and sold for money. It just happened to be called Numenera and none of the money went to Wizards of the Coast. It had all that stupidity where you add up the bonuses and divide by a number and add up all the difficulties and divide by the same number and then subtract the divided bonuses from the divided difficulties and then multiply the result back by the same fucking number again and add the result to the DC - which seemed completely pointless when he was talking about doing it for D&DNext and still does (he changed the scalar from 5 to 3, but it's just as dumb). But he did do that and he did kick that book out the door and sell it for real money.

Mearls isn't putting out the books he said he was putting out last month.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:The TGD comes up with a list of hard-hitting questions and we have people from this board each ask him one.
It's an interesting idea, but I don't believe for a minute that the questions won't be screened. Ostensibly to very reasonably keep out questions about dickbutt, but also just happening to filter out anything that isn't feelgood pap.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

A pushed-back release schedule is unfortunate, but not end-of-the-world. I'm a bit confused as to why these products - PHB, MM, DMG - weren't finished and released at the same time (even if that's later than what they wanted), since their designs inform each other, which points to some unfortunate business decisions leading this: get something out, generate buzz, lock in the PHB design, then do MM and DMG to suit. If the schedule was too compressed and they end up with an inferior product because they wanted to shave a few months off the schedule, that'd be very unfortunate for a TTRPG with an expected life of four-five years.

I'd also assume that the optional stuff that Mearls' was talking about would be a separate release from the core products.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

mean_liar wrote:A pushed-back release schedule is unfortunate, but not end-of-the-world.
It is when:
[*] You're coming off of an edition that was already cancelled early for failing to live up to standards.
[*] There's a four-month lag in between when the first core rule book came out and the last core rule book came out.
[*] The well is already dry on official material to distract people with until its release.
[*] You had to drastically cut back on project scope just to hastily meet the deadlines you did have.
[*] You've been working on this shit for over two and a half fucking years, during which you released no new material.
[*] Your lead designer is a dumbass who thinks that MC Killzalot is an appropriate character for a high-level infiltration campaign, completely fucked up the signature mechanic of 4E D&D after who knows how many revisions, and hired: A.) a dude who only wanted a paycheck from its rival while he worked on his real product, B.) Mr. 'I killed Dark Sun and Forgotten Realms, lulz' Cordell, and C.) another dude who stuck his dick in every d20 Modern product and made that product line an epic fail.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:The TGD comes up with a list of hard-hitting questions and we have people from this board each ask him one.
It's an interesting idea, but I don't believe for a minute that the questions won't be screened. Ostensibly to very reasonably keep out questions about dickbutt, but also just happening to filter out anything that isn't feelgood pap.
It's unlikely the mods would do any such screening, but the AMA format basically specifically allows the Responder to answer only the questions that they care to answer.

That being said, I like ALL of Lago's questions, and I've already got reddit credentials and have been active in /r/rpg; if nobody objects, I'll hapilly post each of those questions Monday morning in hopes that they get enough upvotes he and the community feel they have to be answered.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:[*] What's the release schedule for 5E D&D looking like? What major books do you plan to release in 2015 and in what month?
[*] What kind of sales numbers will Hasbro be happy with in 2015?
[*] What are you doing for digital tools now that Trapdoor has been let go? Will there be PDF releases of 5E D&D?
[*] What were the two biggest reasons 4E D&D had the hammer brought down on it and how does 5E D&D fix that?
[*] Does 5E D&D have any promotional media lined up for it such as movies, games, television shows, etc.? Your exclusivity contract with Atari expires in 2015; will you renew it or do you have another partner in mind?
We're very happy with the ambitious release schedule, confident in our partners, and hope to announce new things soon. We can't speak for our parent company. We're working on our digital options and hope to announce new things soon. 4E is a great game, so is 5E, we're very happy with both of them. We're very happy with our media, and hope to announce new things soon.

I mean, if he's at all competent at PR, that's what all the answers to everything will look like. The fans lap that shit up. He'll probably even have something to confirm or announce.

A tough question would be one he doesn't want to say he's OK with, and can't pass the buck on.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Rather than "What were the two biggest reasons 4E D&D had the hammer brought down on it and how does 5E D&D fix that?" you'll want to phrase it a little more neutral to positive. Something like:

"What were the two biggest reasons 4e D&D was discontinued, and how does 5e address those issues?"

-Username17
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

Or even just "What are the two biggest areas in which 5e succeeds where 4e did not?"

But as Ferret points out, he doesn't have to answer any of the questions posed if he doesn't want to, no moderation necessary. AMAs are filled with orphaned questions, either too off-topic or too similar to other questions, and some of which that are just bad faith questions. It's designed to let you, the "interviewee", pick out the softballs and advertise the things you're there to advocate for, generate some net cred by revealing something special or by giving a particular fan something nice or otherwise, and then maybe address a tough thing or two so that you can say you were actually engaging with the internet.

Naturally, addressing a tough thing only requires that you write your own side of the story. And this is Mearls' best skill; he can turn a phrase that appeals to the gaming audience, make promises that sound like they're way more likely than they are, and set himself up as an expert by making up reasons that most gamers are unable to see are paper thin. No matter what we ask, he's not there for a dialogue, he's there for little more than a drive-by sermon, and that's all you'll get out of any AMA.

Now, while people will nod along with what he says the same way they have for all the Legends & Lore articles and 5e itself, he will definitely say things that are utterly ridiculous under scrutiny. There will be plenty to criticize with or without him responding to any carefully-constructed neutral-sounding criticism.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

You can actually imply that 4e was good and you expect 5e to be even better while still asking a hard question, like so:

"The cost of switching from an old edition to a new one is pretty steep, since characters have to be converted, you have to buy and learn a new set of rules, any custom monsters or spells you've made need to be converted, etc. etc. Can you point to at least two reasons why 5e is significantly, not just marginally, better than 4e, to justify making the switch?" That at least sounds like you're legitimately on board with 5e in principle and are only deterred in practice by logistics.

This doesn't provide any solution to the foundational problems that Stubbazubba pointed to, though. If Mearls doesn't want to answer a question, he doesn't have to, and he can hide behind the very reasonable defense that any given AMA provides overwhelmingly more questions than he can reasonably answer. It'd help if it managed to get upvoted high. Leaving a question near the top of the page dangling would more point to dodging a tough question than judiciously rationing time.
Windjammer
Master

Post by Windjammer »

"In late 2008 you called Player's Handbook 2 for 4th edition D&D your best design work to date. Would you revise that judgement, now that 5th edition's Player's Handbook is out? If yes, why - and if not, why not?"
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I don't think the task should be to make every question immune to spin, that's an impossible goal and a waste of time. We should accept that there will be a lot of spin and our goal should be to ask as many generally tough questions as possible to increase the chance of him slipping up and saying something real. If it happens it will be a mistake, but we can make those mistakes more likely by making our own content relatively biting and upvoting it enough that it gets seen. If we can get just a few hard hitting questions through he'll either fuck up and say something relevant or we can mock him for speaking in meaningless platitudes again like the coward he is.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Ferret wrote: I'll happily post each of those questions Monday morning in hopes that they get enough upvotes he and the community feel they have to be answered.
So considering the perhaps modified form on some of the questions, how's the questioning Mearls thing going today? I skimmed and saw quite a bit of people asking already.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

I'm catching up on the AMA right now, look for me posting as /u/forumferret

I'll be dropping each one as it's own post.

Edit: Dropping tidbits here as I find them interesting:

ademonicspoon 11 points 2 hours ago
You've mentioned that you were going to stay away from the splatbook-a-month model of 3.x, and that most of the monetization would come from settings and APs. It's also been said that you would expand character options with books on things like psionics.
Could you explain in a bit more detail what kind of books we'll see in the future and what kind we won't? Will we see the same kinds of books as in 3.x, but with more time for editing and more care given to avoid bloat?

[–]mikemearls Head of D&D R&D 6 points 44 minutes ago
I'll give you an example of a theoretical expansion.
Let's say we wanted to do psionics. We'd tie that to a campaign you can play, maybe one centered on mind flayers or a similar foe.
The psionic sourcebook would be the player's companion to the DM's mind flayer campaign. The sourcebook would have all the info for creating psionic characters, along with world material for players who are creating characters for the mind flayer campaign. The player's book might also have a chapter written from an in-world perspective on psionics and psionic monsters, the kind of information that a character might have access to or have heard.
You can expect us to do one or two such products a year, to give people enough time to play through a campaign without overwhelming them with new options.

[–]GunnerMcGrath 8 points 3 hours ago
A couple questions about passive skills. As I understand it, they are used when someone is passively doing something rather than actively, so passive perception is used as a baseline for how much a character notices when he's not actively looking around.
So if a character with a passive perception of 13 is actively looking around for something that can be seen on a perception DC of 10, and he rolls a 2, does he not see it? Or should passive perception be considered the minimum possible value for that character?
Passive Investigation is mentioned in the Observant feat, but I have not seen anything else written on how you passively investigate something, or what situations warrant using this skill. Are there other skills that can be done passively?

[–]mikemearls Head of D&D R&D 14 points 3 hours ago
Any skill can be used passively - it's up the DM to apply that as needed.
For perception checks, you passive result is always in effect. If you could see something with a DC 10 check and your passive is 11, you see it without rolling.
Keep in mind, though, that a DM might rule otherwise. Passive checks are a tool that groups can use to speed up the game or move past die results that slow things down or lead to a grind.

[–]PepticBurrito 7 points 3 hours ago
Does the DMG include wealth by level tables and magic item price for GMs who want to run very high magic games?

[–]mikemearls Head of D&D R&D 14 points 2 hours ago
We give a baseline of how many items are typical for a campaign, plus guidelines for creating higher level characters and their typical gear.
There are price ranges based on level for items, plus guidelines for buying and selling items.

And that's basically it for interesting answers. He's only hit 16 questions in the ~ 3 hours the AMA has been open.
Last edited by Ferret on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

3 hours in, 10 questions answered.
He is clearly only giving actual answers to softballs; otherwise giving non-answers.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

The Passive results always being in effect is a hell of a house rule. It completely changes the way the skill system works if they had actually intended that be the case. Every skill check ever would be Roll, then take 10 - compare both results to DC, choose the one you want.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Actually, he's answered a lot of questions, it's just that the vast majority of them are really stupid rules questions where the answer is 'you could do this, or this, whatever makes you happy.'

Cliffnotes, dropping the stupidly inane questions.
- Mass combat rules NOT in the DMG. 'Needed more testing'
- Rules for managing a domain/business as part of downtime in
- Support for 5 was"equally high across people who expressed an edition preference, regardless of that preference."
- Guidelines for miniatures, grids and tactical combat in the DMG
- Passive perception is always in effect, unless the DM decides otherwise
- Guidelines for DCs in the DMG, but active avoidance of set list of DCs
- Balance of learning tools/languages vs skills was 'soft' balanced explicitly for niche protection
- DMG has guidelines on what to do with money, like buying a keep.
- Buying/selling magic items/lands/titles is 'eyeball it.'
- Internal perceptions is "we beat our targets across the board" on success of the game
- Stuff is planned for 2015, moving away from monthly model, fewer releases overall, want to avoid splat creep and system bloat
- Building monsters is a chart for basic numbers and then eyeball it with some math to hopefully make it all work from there
- Marls would get rid of xp leveling and do story based leveling if he could 'couldn't learn to cast fireball until you've defeated a fire elemental and captured it's essence'
Intermission for this:
Mearls wrote:Here's what I'd do if I designed the game solely for myself.

More dice, fewer static modifiers. I'd use a die in place of the proficiency bonus. I like rolling dice and find it easier to teach that way.

A few more classes and races - goliaths, a fey race that isn't an elf, centaurs dropped to size Medium and made a playable race; for classes, really nail down psionics in a way that makes them fit with fantasy cleanly to the point that they can be in the PHB without confusing people. All this stuff comes down to time and focus - the more you do, the less time you have to polish what's there, so no regrets that it's not there. Just stuff I personally like.

I wish the MM could be an app rather than a book. Working in page counts sucks, to be honest. I would've loved to break out tables of bonds, traits, and flaws for every intelligent creature in the game. Don't get me wrong, I love physical books, but on the digital front there's so much potential in breaking out of physical restraints.

More domains. I love deities in fantasy, and I think I could've put another 12 domains on the list for the cleric.

More backgrounds by culture - delve into a few historical eras and bust out backgrounds to let you adapt the classes to play in fantasy takes on them.
- Looking at adding a guideline in the DMG to restrict characters to 1 additional book beyond the PHB when making characters
- Porting MtG to D&D: logistical and planning issues
- 1-2 source books such as the 3.5 ExPsiHB each year
- Base line for how many items are typical for a campaign, and high level characters and their gear in the DMG (question on Wealth by level and magic item costs)
Huh, side note:
Mearls wrote:Iron Heroes really needed another year or so to gestate before it was ready for prime time.
Long answer to 'I've moved on to Pathfinder. Why should I now consider looking at 5th Ed.?'
Mearls wrote:5th is designed from the ground up to account for everything we've learned about RPGs in the 14 years since 3e launched. Those lessons are expressed both in the design in the rules and will be apparent as we start to roll out the product line.

The biggest thing, IMO, is that 5th focuses a lot on delivering similar depth of play as the d20 system with a much more compact, easier to grok, and easier to handle system.

For instance, let's take designing NPCs. In 5th, we don't assume that NPCs need magic items. Feats are optional. Skills are either a thing you have or you don't. If you want to make a 10th-level NPC fighter, it takes a sliver of the time as it does in d20 because those details are no longer necessary. As a DM, you can delve into them if you want, but you don't have to.

That philosophy is infused throughout the system. We've basically taken out hoops you had to jump through or elements of the system that evolved into barriers.

As another example - all characters now have a basic competence in two-weapon fighting. We eliminated the default penalties and the multiple feats needed to become good at it. Instead, we simply balanced core TWF against sword & board or two-handed weapons.

In essence, the game is built to move quicker, get results faster, and work in a compact manner that makes it much easier to mod or take apart.

Hope that helps!

That is all the important non-rules responses as of this post.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Continued:

- Some 'OGL like' thing in the works to allow people to create their own stuff
Mearls wrote:I think playtests are a great way to make sure that rules elements are hitting their mark. It's going to be a a process that we grow into, as testing requires a longer lead time, but it's worth doing as long as we do it right (rigorous data collection and analysis, as opposed to relying on reading forums).
- No maps in starter set because they drive up price. Were looking to hit 20$ for entry
- No 4e video games because licensing is tough and resistance to a new digital line
Mearls wrote:For influences: * 3e's core mechanics, and the concept of unifying things across the board * 4e's approach to a core math foundation, and emphasis on giving every class something cool and unique (might sounds weird to people due to AEDU, but dud classes were a big issue in 3e that 4e really curtailed) * 1e's emphasis on the DM as arbiter and referee, taking priority over the system * 2e's emphasis on roleplaying and storytelling, along with the 2e DMG's presentation of options and variants for the DM
- Living rules system starting next year
- Looking at PDFs and digital platforms, but no news yet
- Ideally would like to get 10-12 year lifespan for 5e
- No direct push back to diversity shown in the PHB
- Warforged and Kender not in the 5e DMG due to page limits, will be 'made available'
- Spelljammer is int he line for products
- Exploring options for Dungeon and Dragon magazines
- Richard Whitters and Adam Lee from the MtG side are helping art concept and writing respectively
- Conversion guides for previous version are already being worked on
- Eberron and Planescape on the radar
- Staggered core book release is so the same team can work on every book, 'lesson learned form 4e'
-"players don't want much complexity in combat. They're happy to just attack. AEDU forced everyone to the same level of complexity" "making it easy to get back encounter powers made each battle feel too similar"
- Sales numbers "Can't say exactly, but D&D is in a very strong, healthy place."
- Artificers will be with Eberron
- Setting searches 2 other settings not likely to be used. May have been cannibalized into Eberron
- 4e tactical video game is 'tricky' and couldn't been done during 4e, unlikely to see one now
- 600,000 followers on WotC facebook page
WTF:
Mearls wrote:IMO, a big drawback we face is that when we say we'll do something, people hold us to it. D&D is an order of magnitude larger than any other tabletop RPG. If we say we're going to do X and then don't deliver, we catch far more grief than any other publisher.
- 4e tools will remain up only so long as enough people are subscribed
- Favorite class to play is rogue r wizard, favorite setting is Greyhawk
- Wanted to use healing surges concpet in 5e, but too confusoin with 4e healing surges
- Will issue surveys starting next your to find issues and vet solutions for 5e
- Larry Elmore could not be contracted for more work
- No evil campaign in the near term
- Webcolumn will cover home-brewing classes
- 3e contruibted core rules, 2e in appraoch to world and roleplaying, 4e is 'embedded in a lot of the systems' and 1e gave empowering DMs.

I can't get the last ~68 comments to load, but it's clearly lost steam by that point.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

So all the modules live in the DMG, the book didn't meet quality standards, don't play 5th if you like characters to have the same qualities across games, and bounded accuracy "mplifies the math, speeds up the game, and makes it easier for all characters to have at least a chance of success in most situations. It also simplifies character creation and leveling."

Also the stealth rules seem to be in the PHB, maybe I should have clarified that question.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Night Goat
Journeyman

Post by Night Goat »

Oh god, why? Why would they bring back Kender?