"off topic"

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

fectin
Prince

"off topic"

Post by fectin »

Does TGD even have a rule about sticking with a thread's original topic?

Personally, I always preferred Count's burger rule anyway:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:1. The off-topic rule is retarded. It was retarded on wotC, it was retarded on Nifty, and it continues the legacy of retardation here. If the thread goes off topic, it's off topic. If no one can manage the Diplomacy check to get it back on topic, then they should have invested in more diplomacy, or not have taken Charisma as their dump stat. If the thread was about the Duskblade, and five paces later people are talking about burgers, the thread is now about burgers.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Like most things, TGD does not have an actual rule. People are always free to redirect things back to the topic, but that is purely based on convincing other people it is worth talking about so...
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Conversations are organic. Topics drift. Shit burgers happen. As a matter of simple civility, I think you should be willing to take it to a new thread if you catch enough flak to suggest that the original topic is alive and well and you're murdering it in its own home. We also have some very helpful mods who sometimes perform thread-splitting surgery in order to save both, as opposed to having one conversation suffocate the other. Things seem to work out okay with what we're doing now.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Good. That's what I thought.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

If the original topic is still trying to be pressed, then taking the off topic part to a new thread is polite. I'll occasionally report a thread if that's not happening.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.