Interest Check - Ars Magica Play By Post

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Korgan0
Duke

Interest Check - Ars Magica Play By Post

Post by Korgan0 »

So, I'm interested in running an Ars Magica Play-by-Post, and this is to see how many of you guys would be interested in playing. I'm a college senior who's going to graduate very soon, and I'm in the midst of writing my senior thesis, so I won't be able to start GMing for another month at least, and even then after that my schedule is in flux to a sufficient degree that I'm not sure when we could commence play. On the bright side, you'll have plenty of time to think up characters/plan out a covenant, and I'd like to check just how many people are interested.

I've never GMed a PbP before, nor have I GMed Ars Magica before, but I think I'll be able to adapt to the challenge, especially since I have a bit of a background in medieval philosophy and history. I don't really have any set ideas as to location/plot hooks/type of covenant, but I'd be psyched to run a byzantine covenant if you guys are interested. I envision y'all throwing out ideas and me running with them to whatever degree, and we'll certainly have plenty of time before the actual game begins.

If you're interested, post in the thread and we can start brainstorming.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I have wanted to try Ars for basically ever, but it's always seemed like a better thought experiment than a game. I'm down.
Kurama314
Journeyman

Post by Kurama314 »

This sounds great, I'm all in.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Tentative interest. I picked up Ars Magica years ago, and I barely remember the rules. I'll have to see if I can dig up the books from wherever I left them, and then maybe I'd be willing to give it a try.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Sounds interesting, I'd like to join.
I'm not very familiar with the rules, but I'm thinking Tremere with that druidic virtue, that helps with spontaneous spellcasting. I'd appreciate any advice on making a warmage.
Last edited by Longes on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Longes wrote:Sounds interesting, I'd like to join.
I'm not very familiar with the rules, but I'm thinking Tremere with that druidic virtue, that helps with spontaneous spellcasting. I'd appreciate any advice on making a warmage.
What kind of a warmage? Like, what do you want it to look like when he throws down?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I'll need more time with the books, but Deidne Magic and Elemental Magic look very good.
What kind of a warmage? Like, what do you want it to look like when he throws down?
Hard to say right now. Either some kind of a magical duelist, or firestorms and massive overkill.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Diedne Magic is not really useful in either of those styles of combat. Against other Magi, spontaneous spells still have sub-crap Penetration. For generating big fire, it still doesn't make very high-level spells. And either way it still winds up fatiguing you out.

Elemental Magic is interesting, I think you could get some cool Vilano-style indirect attacks going with that.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Diedne Magic is not really useful in either of those styles of combat. Against other Magi, spontaneous spells still have sub-crap Penetration. For generating big fire, it still doesn't make very high-level spells. And either way it still winds up fatiguing you out.

Elemental Magic is interesting, I think you could get some cool Vilano-style indirect attacks going with that.
Vilano?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

It's the name of the style of magical combat where you bypass the opposition's magic resistance by using indirectly-targeted effects. Elementalist means you have a very easy time turning the ground into a pool of acid or transmuting air into stone above someone's head.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

It still requires an aiming roll, so it's not a certain thing.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Depends on the effect. Opening holes under people is neither resisted nor aimed, for instance.

But upon reflection the transmutation effects are not as cool as they could be because the transmuted substances are themselves magical and therefore resistable. You would have to get pretty creative to take real advantage of Elementalist that way.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

The chapter on House Flambeau in Societates has a bunch of really useful information on this style of fighting, including a bunch of spells that focus on indirect attack, a spell mastery ability that makes it easier to aim the spell in question, and a section on using Rego spells to propel projectiles.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

So, if we're doing this in the Theban Tribunal, they require all of their wizard-frats covenants to have a stated purpose, and also a supernatural patron.

I've always wanted to try one of those big crazy Hermetic Project-type deals, so here's my suggestion: our Covenant has been founded to build a city in the sky, to take up the role of fallen Constantinople. Our patron can be the Titan Atlas – he's famously easy to con into stuff.

My magus will be the bright young lunatic in charge of actually putting the buildings and such up in the air. My companion will be our connection to the Titan.

Thoughts?
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Since I'm not that experienced with the game I'd rather us not do something so grand and complex- I was thinking having you guys be either just out of your gauntlet or a few years out of it, and as either part of a small spring covenant or part of larger autumn covenant, since then it'll be easy for me to work in suitable plot hooks (acquire vis/money/food/grogs or getting ordered around by senior magi), and I figure something as substantial as a flying city would entail someone other than a mage that junior being put in charge. That having been said, if you guys have your heart set on a floating Constantinople free of that pesky Latin Empire (which is going to fall in another 40 years in all fairness), I can definitely roll with that.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Is it possible within the system to have an adventuring mage, and a scholarly companion who sits in the tower and researches new stuff for me?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Second idea: Ex Miscelania diplomat with a Gentle Gift and an animal companion.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Longes wrote:Is it possible within the system to have an adventuring mage, and a scholarly companion who sits in the tower and researches new stuff for me?
Depends what you mean. Your companion can totally be a scholar who studies old legends to discover plot hooks and whatnot. But they can't advance your magical abilities. I think the closest you can get to that sort of thing is an unGifted hedge wizard companion who gets furnished with magic items by the actual magus.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Rough outline:
House: Ex Miscellania
Virtues: Adept Laboratory Student, Strong Faerie Blood, Gentle Gift, Deft Form (Mentem), Second Sight, Mercenary Captain, Hermetic Magus, Wealthy, Book Learner, Inspirational, Well-Travelled
Flaws : Twilight Prone, Optimistic (Major), Proud (Major), Curse of Venus, Magical Animal Companion

Characteristics: Int 3, Per 2, Str -3, Sta 1, Pre 3, Com 3, Dex -2, Qui -2

Abilities:
Tribunal (Area) Lore (Politics) 3, Bargain (Magic related) 2, Charm (Authoritah) 3, Etiquette (Nobility) 2, Folk Ken (Magi) 3, Guile (Fast-talk) 3, Intrigue (Politics) 2, Leadership (Inspiration) 1, Native Language (Byzantine, Eloquence) 5, Artes Liberales (Ritual Magic) 2, Civil and Canon Law (Byzantine) 3, Common Law (Witchcraft) 2, Latin (Eloquence) 5, Theology (Heresy) 1, Code of Hermes (Muggle relations) 1, Magic Theory (Mentem) 3, Parma Magica (Mentem) 2, Second Sight (Illusions) 2

Arts:
Intellego 5, Muto 5, Perdo 5, Rego 5
Corpus 5, Imaginem 5, Mentem 5, Vim 5
Any advice?
Last edited by Longes on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Just on point of rules, magi can't be Wealthy, and characters can't have two major Personality Flaws, nor two Story flaws. Also, your virtues and flaws don't add up, and neither do your stats.

Which of your virtues and flaws are part of your Ex Miscellanea tradition?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Just on point of rules, magi can't be Wealthy, and characters can't have two major Personality Flaws, nor two Story flaws. Also, your virtues and flaws don't add up, and neither do your stats.

Which of your virtues and flaws are part of your Ex Miscellanea tradition?
Adept Laboratory Student, Strong Faerie Blood, Twilight Prone
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stats: +1 Presence from Strong Faerie Blood (Sidhe)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Ah, that makes sense. And Second Sight's from SFB as well.

You probably don't want Common Law, that's an England-only thing.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Ok.
The reason I took Wealthy and Mercenary Captain was to have a reliable retinue of trained warriors to protect my physically frail body. :)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Oh, that's not necessary. Most Covenants have a body of armed men for that purpose, so bringing your own isn't necessary unless you want to use them for dubious activities the other magi wouldn't approve of. And as a Gentle Gift, they'll probably take your side against the other Magi anyway.