3.tome via Skype recruiting.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

AndreiChekov wrote:Because tome armours are annoying. This makes so that there are more than 2 options, and I can still keep my head around it.
"Annoying" here just means "Are things players want. And fuck those guys."
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

I don't hate you guys, I just want to have some expectation of what I can throw at you without killing you. which means that I have to be able to remember what sort of armour stuff you guys can do. and your ewapons, spells, abilities and armour seemed the safest place to trim that to make it possible for me to do so.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Okay, but I think it would be possible to come up with armor types that are both simple to remember (one ability each) while also remaining a little more interesting (one cool ability each).

Particularly, some of the entries I saw removed the "classic" abilities of an item and put on some weird ability. Such as the Buckler: the buckler's special deal is that you can wear a shield and also use that arm for non-shield things while taking a -1 to attack. Here you've given it an unarmed damage bonus and made it not take proficiency. That's not very good, because most anyone who'd use a shield has the shield proficiency, and no one really cares about unarmed damage.

So it seems like it'd be easy to have an armor list that's more interesting while also staying simple enough to remember.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

AndreiChekov wrote:I don't hate you guys, I just want to have some expectation of what I can throw at you without killing you. which means that I have to be able to remember what sort of armour stuff you guys can do. and your ewapons, spells, abilities and armour seemed the safest place to trim that to make it possible for me to do so.
There are two problems with what you said.

The first is that nerfing us to make sure you don't kill us is really dumb, and is basically just saying that you want to play 4e because you hate us having interesting cool things that win encounters so if you get rid of them all you can have the boring number grind fest that you want.

The second is that yes, I agree. if you want to nerf us, the easiest thing to target would be all the things we have. You literally listed everything in the game that isn't HD. That is not narrowing it down, that is just saying that you are going to nerf everything.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

thats meant to say "out of your weapons, spells, abilties and armour, armour seemed the safest place to do it"
As in, armour is the only stuff I'm nerfing. And that is it.

Also, the buckler that you get in DnD would actually be a small shield. A buckler is meant to be a punching weapon. Like steel boxing glove that you can punch people with. And is basically a little larger than one's fist.

I agree that they could be worked on, but I still don't see a need for more than about 5 armours in each category, and I don't think that they should have particularly powerful abilities either, because they will get those abilities by enchanting anyway.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Yeah, but the only thing that actually matters in DnD is DnD stuff. If you want a glove thing that lets you punch people harder, we call it a "gauntlet" or a "spiked gauntlet". A buckler in DnD doesn't match up with historical bucklers, it just does its own thing.

Anyway, I forgot to say in the summary, the group leveled up to level 3, so Kaelik you should make your level 3 changes. I don't think the Curator player has been reading this topic, but he should too if he has.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lokathor wrote:Anyway, I forgot to say in the summary, the group leveled up to level 3, so Kaelik you should make your level 3 changes. I don't think the Curator player has been reading this topic, but he should too if he has.
I missed a week because I forgot. Then I missed a week because I was busy. I think I'm going to miss all future weeks because I don't want to be involved anymore.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Incidentally, I'm not going to be able to make it tonight due to family crap I'll have to take care of in the morning.
bears fall, everyone dies
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I think i'll be a little late but I should be available.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

So, I checked out the shields pdf and I still have some misgivings about the tower shields. Basically, to-hit is super important and fighter types hate giving it up for obvious reasons. On the other hand, if if the shield is buffed to 6 ac AND 1/2 cover and built a soldier stance around dealing with the armor check penalties then I could easily end up bad touching the rng for several levels, which isn't ideal either.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Alright, so I'm trading in my steel shield for a kite shield since we can afford that so easily. Also, just double checking here: We've got 1 magic item each now, right? Just making sure I didn't miss out on any goodies in the session I missed where we returned that helmet to the hobgoblins.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I am a level 4 character and I have a single magic item (Traveler's Cloak with a Saves bonus).

EDIT: I've got guests in town, so there's an almost 100% chance that I won't be able to play today.

Further EDIT: I've decided that Luminous Bolt and Arcane Blast should absolutely be Supernatural and not Spell-like Abilities, on the grounds that they're attack actions, not standard actions, so you do full attacks with them when your BAB gets high enough and stuff.
Last edited by Lokathor on Mon May 26, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.