3.tome via Skype recruiting.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I strongly suspect he means the feat listed here

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=28831#28831

Frankly, a few posts down [EDIT: in the other thread you linked i mean] K defends the feat over For Valor's rewritten version, and I think he does it pretty well. It's a solid feat, even if it's not technically a "scaling" feat.
Last edited by Lokathor on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

that one looks fine
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Kallukka was an ancient Finnish prince, 3rd son, who wandered off into the northern forests when he didn't appreciate his family being tremendous dicks to him. He lived out in the forests for about a year before a particularly bad snowstorm buried him, and he passed out, probably to die. Then he was visited by Auril, who had chosen him as a champion for some unspecified reason, and gave him a bunch of cold magic powers.

He walked back south to brutally murder his older brothers with ice magic and usurp the thronereclaim his kingdom, only to find out that he was not in KansasFinland anymore. He now wanders the world looking for the thing that Auril chose him as a Champion for, but he has as yet, had no actual direction, because Auril is a frigid bitch who won't even tell him what he is supposed to do.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Hadn't actually seen that Cold Dude class before. Cool stuff, ha ha ha, etc.

A few questions:
[*]Flaws? I might have to pick some of those out. I think that your Strong Spell, and Shaped Spell feats don't seem to do anything for you for at the moment. Is Ice Shards supposed to be a Spell-like ability instead of a Supernatural one? Even if it were, you'd need to be a 3rd level character before you could use them if Ice Shards counted as a 1st level spell. Is that right or am I reading things wrong? I honestly don't know what the expectations on Tome Metamagic are, so I'm assuming that the +ML stuff is like the +slot level stuff before, but you keep the normal slot and you're just limited that the normal slot and +ML can't be above your actual slot cap. Or Something.
[*]The Darkleaf Armor and Crystal Shield have check penalties still, right? And weight and stuff too. I mean it's fine if we skip that part of the rules, but I'll drop my Str to 8 also and pick up some Con points if we're doing that.
[*]When Product of Infernal Dalliance gives you the fiend subtype it also gives you the Freedom of Movement and Poison Immunity automatically? I thought you had to take a level in True Fiend for that?

Overall, the Cold Dude (and Fire Mage, and others) makes the Sorcerer look pretty small in the pants, because the Sorc has no sort of auto-attack, not as many skills, and doesn't get armored casting until later on. I'd say that your character is about spot on for a Tome character, and that the Sorcerer probably needs some sort of boost at the low levels to make it keep pace properly until some of those higher level spells start coming in.

EDIT - not a real question:
[*]5'11" and 200 lbs? And Str8? I'm 5'10" and 130 and probably Str 8. Damn, does he have 70 lbs of ice hair or something?
Last edited by Lokathor on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

If you want to take flaws, then it has to be not-tome feats you get for them.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

AndreiChekov wrote:If you want to take flaws, then it has to be not-tome feats you get for them.
That is a weird thing to say given that you banned all non-tome feats.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lokathor wrote:I think that your Strong Spell, and Shaped Spell feats don't seem to do anything for you for at the moment. Is Ice Shards supposed to be a Spell-like ability instead of a Supernatural one? Even if it were, you'd need to be a 3rd level character before you could use them if Ice Shards counted as a 1st level spell.
They aren't doing anything for me, and won't for a long time. But I have nothing else to do with feats since everything is banned, so I just picked feats that would vaguely be useful several levels from now. I think the break point it pretty much level 6 where I would want to take two feats if I had no flaws.
Lokathor wrote:The Darkleaf Armor and Crystal Shield have check penalties still, right? And weight and stuff too.
I hate and don't understand the stupid Tome system with skill check penalties that don't apply to stuff and stealth check penalties, and everything is reduced by BAB by some amount. So... while those might exist, I don't even know what the fuck they would apply to. But certainly not any skill I have ranks in, so fuck if I care.

As to weight... No, they don't. I don't mean they weigh nothing, I mean I don't know how much they weigh, because I don't know whether to use armor weights or ice weights.
Lokathor wrote:When Product of Infernal Dalliance gives you the fiend subtype it also gives you the Freedom of Movement and Poison Immunity automatically? I thought you had to take a level in True Fiend for that?
Why on earth would you think that. If it didn't give you the abilities you get from being of that subtype then what abilities did you think it gives? Because if not, it literally does nothing.
Lokathor wrote:Overall, the Cold Dude (and Fire Mage, and others) makes the Sorcerer look pretty small in the pants, because the Sorc has no sort of auto-attack, not as many skills, and doesn't get armored casting until later on. I'd say that your character is about spot on for a Tome character, and that the Sorcerer probably needs some sort of boost at the low levels to make it keep pace properly until some of those higher level spells start coming in.
The sorcerer gets to choose better spells and buff spells and ignore theme to get them. He doesn't feel small in the pants when he can get Wings of Cover, Wings of Flurry, Web, Polymorph, Calling Magic, and whatever buff spells you think you want.

Now maybe you personally feel small in the pants at level 1 Casting Color Spray 4-5 times a day instead of doing 1d6+5 damage every round, but if that is how you feel you can just play a Fighter.

Lokathor wrote:EDIT - not a real question:
[*]5'11" and 200 lbs? And Str8? I'm 5'10" and 130 and probably Str 8. Damn, does he have 70 lbs of ice hair or something?
Or alternatively, he is fat because he lives in the cold all the time.

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I mean if we are using flaws, but flaws only buy standard feats not scaling feats, then I'll still pick up Skill Focus (Concentration) and Improved Initiative. You could get Skill Focus in both Spot and Listen if you wanted or one of those and Improved Initiative, or whatever else.

Ice Armor And Shield: Okay, well, the tome system is actually pretty simple, but not easy to do in Mythweavers. (feel free to make a copy of this Blank Sheet here if you'd like to use it, it handles all the ACP/ASP stuff, among other things.)

The Armor Check Penalty applies to all the normal skills EXCEPT for hide/move silently. The Armor Stealth Penalty applies to Hide and Move Silently. It's that simple. All the other stuff about high BAB doesn't matter for you right now because you get wizard BAB so you'll not even see any effects from any of that until at least level 4 (when you have BAB +2). Of note is the fact that currently your movement is reduced to 20ft and you can't Run because your ACP total is 4, and your BAB is 0. You'll be able to run at least next level, and if you just drop the shield you'd also be able to move at full speed (the shield is 3 out of that 4, the darkleaf is only 1).

Now, given that there's a specific paragraph about armors needing to be made of the correct material, it seems pretty sketchy to make Darkleaf Armor out of ice and then get the Fast Healing bonus, since your armor looks like darkleaf and all but is actually ice, so there's no darkleaves to root into your skin and give you the Fast Healing. The Ice Armor should just be its own armor type probably.

At the same time, the Crystal Ice Shield is totally made of ice, so that makes sense that you could make it with your ability, but it's technically using the Great Shield proficiency (aka Tower Shield proficiency), not just the normal Shield proficiency. You could probably have a normal Shield that's made of ice instead of a Great Shield, but it'd probably be its own thing.

As to weight, my SuperTome PDF has weights in it for the normal armor types. Weight is basically based on material, so, use Icey weights for things. But yeah, you should probably make "Ice Armor" and "Ice Shield" as totally being their own item types.

Product of Infernal Dalliance: I mean the point of taking the feat is that you get what it says you get:
[*]You can take [Fiend] feats (powerful, and should also allow you to become a True Fiend though technically it doesn't)
[*]You radiate faint evil (useless)
[*]You have either two claws or one bite natural weapon (minimal useful, these should count as Magic too, then they'd be nice)
[*]You have Cold Resistance 5 or Fire Resistance 5 (nice for a first level feat)
[*]You also gain the [baazetu], [tanar’ri], [yugoloth], or [demondand] subtype.

The first level of True Fiend is that you get the distinctive abilities of your subtype, which obviously means that it's assumed that not all creatures of that subtype have those abilities.

Sorc Spells: Yeah, I guess. But that's only one spell per level and they draw all from the same spells per day pool. I guess the big thing is that you're missing out on an auto-attack option. Unlimited cantrips sorta helps in my particular case because i get a minorly scaling cantrip (up to 5 dice), but it should probably just be a class feature or something.

In terms of theme, I don't think that the ability to go "off theme" is really a power advantage. Your Ice class has Major Creation (as a standard action, and 8 levels early), Grease (with 4 times the normal area, one higher range category, a 1 round bonus immobilization, and unlimited duration), a weird action denial effect, and Wall of Ice (2 levels sooner than normal), and then the Grease effect upgrades into a higher damage Incendiary Cloud [ice], all at will, and all "in theme" with the cold thing. Then you also pick up automatic Raise Dead on yourself and turn yourself into a Construct. Again, all in theme.

I mean, the classes should be comparable at all levels, not just later levels. There's like a bajillion essays floating around on why "low power now high power later" is shitty design. Some of them are written straight into the Tomes themselves. So all the classes should have a way to do a thing even at level 1, just like all the classes should have ways to do things at higher levels as well. I suppose my musings on this point are more of a general "how to fix a caster at low levels" thing than a specific issue i'd like to add to this character.
Last edited by Lokathor on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lokathor wrote:I mean if we are using flaws, but flaws only buy standard feats not scaling feats, then I'll still pick up Skill Focus (Concentration) and Improved Initiative. You could get Skill Focus in both Spot and Listen if you wanted or one of those and Improved Initiative, or whatever else.
Except you can't take those feats, because they are banned.
Lokathor wrote:Of note is the fact that currently your movement is reduced to 20ft and you can't Run because your ACP total is 4, and your BAB is 0.
I refuse to believe that Tome nerfed armor move speed. That is just too fucking dumb.
Lokathor wrote:Now, given that there's a specific paragraph about armors needing to be made of the correct material, it seems pretty sketchy to make Darkleaf Armor out of ice and then get the Fast Healing bonus, since your armor looks like darkleaf and all but is actually ice, so there's no darkleaves to root into your skin and give you the Fast Healing. The Ice Armor should just be its own armor type probably.
The ice can grow into me and do the same thing. I can explicitly make cloth ice or wood ice, and mimic any armor with ice. Therefore, icearmor can mimic other armor.
Lokathor wrote:but it's technically using the Great Shield proficiency (aka Tower Shield proficiency)
Which doesn't matter, because I am proficient with it.
Lokathor wrote:Product of Infernal Dalliance: I mean the point of taking the feat is that you get what it says you get:
[*]You can take [Fiend] feats (powerful, and should also allow you to become a True Fiend though technically it doesn't)
[*]You radiate faint evil (useless)
[*]You have either two claws or one bite natural weapon (minimal useful, these should count as Magic too, then they'd be nice)
[*]You have Cold Resistance 5 or Fire Resistance 5 (nice for a first level feat)
[*]You also gain the [baazetu], [tanar’ri], [yugoloth], or [demondand] subtype.

The first level of True Fiend is that you get the distinctive abilities of your subtype, which obviously means that it's assumed that not all creatures of that subtype have those abilities.
You are an idiot. 1) This has gone over a thousand fucking times. If you believe the designer intent was not to grant the abilities you get from the subtype, you are an idiot, because they both stated that was their intent several times. 2) if you believe the feat does not have the effect you are an idiot, because the subtype grants FoM to everything that has it, no exceptions. 3) If you believe Cold or Fire Resist 5 is nice for a first level feat, you are a fucking idiot, because that is a worthless piece of shit ability that counts for less than nothing. The Tomes state that feats are worth more than levels. I'm pretty sure Frank is on record reviewing one of the 3.5 books explicitly saying that Fire Resistance 5 is worth less than nothing as a mechanical effect. I know for a fact that Frank is on record lecturing people that first level feats are not less valuable than other feats. 4) If you think it is appropriate to have someone take a feat that does nothing but let them take a non shitty feat later, then you are an idiot, and by the way, this feat doesn't let me take a non shitty feat later, because all Fiend feats are banned.
Lokathor wrote:Sorc Spells: Yeah, I guess. But that's only one spell per level and they draw all from the same spells per day pool. I guess the big thing is that you're missing out on an auto-attack option.
And what I am saying is that giving up the ability to do 1d6+5 damage at will for Color Spray once per encounter is literally the Wizard vs Fighter distinction, so if you have Fighter envy that bad, just play a Fighter, and then retire your character at whatever level you start wanting to be a Sorcerer instead.

Sorcerers don't have an auto attack ability, on the other hand, Cold Dudes don't have anything else but an auto attack. Because they are at will casters, so there at will stuff has to be worse than what a Sorcerer is doing, like throwing down Color Spray once per fight.
Lokathor wrote:In terms of theme, I don't think that the ability to go "off theme" is really a power advantage. Your Ice class has Major Creation (as a standard action, and 8 levels early), Grease (with 4 times the normal area, one higher range category, a 1 round bonus immobilization, and unlimited duration), a weird action denial effect, and Wall of Ice (2 levels sooner than normal), and then the Grease effect upgrades into a higher damage Incendiary Cloud [ice], all at will, and all "in theme" with the cold thing. Then you also pick up automatic Raise Dead on yourself and turn yourself into a Construct. Again, all in theme.
And all of those are way the fuck worse than what a Sorcerer can do at all those levels. The theme prevents calling magic, polymorphing, Major Creating poisons, which is the one offensive thing it is ever used for, And while it is certainly possible for the theme to justify being as good as the best spells, I didn't do that. Color Spray is way better than Grease. Web is was better than Grease. Incendiary Cloud is a joke spell that no one has ever used seriously ever. Getting access to Clone before the Sorcerer does, but after the Sorcerer's Cleric buddy does is just flavor, and yes, you get to be a Construct permanently before PaO comes online, but so what, the Sorcerer still has Calling Magic at that point, not to mention Polymorph and Wings of Cover 8 times a day, which is probably a more powerful defense than some immunities.
Lokathor wrote:I mean, the classes should be comparable at all levels, not just later levels.
And they are. Aside from the utterly stupid Sorcerer setback that shouldn't exist, they are comparable at all levels. Because, and I cannot stress this enough, Being able to cast Color Spray 4-5 times at level 1 is just as good if not better than being able to do 1d8+5 damage when you hit on an attack roll. And if you disagree, then just play a Fighter for as long as it take before you think that a Sorcerer catches up to a Fighter.

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Except you can't take those feats, because they are banned.
Yeah, but he just said that feats from flaws would be non-tome feats. So those would be the ones you'd pick from.
I refuse to believe that Tome nerfed armor move speed. That is just too fucking dumb.
Races Of War unified the armor movement system. If your ACP is greater than your BAB, you get 2/3rds normal movement. If your ACP is greater than your BAB +4 you can't run. If it's greater than your BAB +10 you can only stagger around.
The ice can grow into me and do the same thing. I can explicitly make cloth ice or wood ice, and mimic any armor with ice. Therefore, icearmor can mimic other armor.
Well that's totally stupid because it's still made of ice even if it looks like it's not ice. Whatever.
Which doesn't matter, because I am proficient with it.
Oh, huh, so you are.
<long rant>
Wow man chill out. Have your freedom of movement if you want it, sure.
this feat doesn't let me take a non shitty feat later, because all Fiend feats are banned.
Not absolutely, he just said you gotta ask about them and probably make them into scaling versions.
The theme prevents calling magic
How does it actually prevent the effect of that though? The effect being "and now you have a summon". Because you can make your own body into living ice, and you can make an ice pet, so why can't you make an ice summon?

And if you can make an ice body, why can't you throw a layer of living ice all around you until you polymorph into any other creature that's your size or larger? with like, your actual body left in the middle. Like the vine bender guy in Last Airbender. So sure you can't turn into things smaller than you are, but whatever.

And you can arbitrarily create darkleaves and cloth and wood and metal and negative level ice, so why can't you arbitrarily also create poisons?

You could even fucking make a Color Spray type effect with a Snow Spray that gets in people's eyes and blinds them and stuns them with a brain freeze and shit.

I'm not saying the class should be able to do all these things necessarily, I'm saying that the theme and abilities you've shown so far wouldn't prevent any of those other things from existing. Maybe you get them all at level 13, I dunno.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Here's the bulk of a sheet. Idea is to use the Tome Soldier class and skill feats to start out as a reasonably durable strong man (the ability to be treated as a size larger does wonders for your lifting capacity) and turns into the team scout/skill monkey once he's got another stance to blow on utility. I didn't write in any equipment other than a big honkin' sword yet because I was unsure if we were using the core, scaling or Red Rob armor lists.

Here's what I'm thinking for a background so far: Mike Owens was a young videographer and technician involved in the Naica Project, a crew of scientists and support staff documenting the formation of enormous crystals deep in a cavern system beneath the Chihuahua Desert. Plentiful groundwater and the close proximity of a magma chamber created one of the most hostile environments in the world--without specialized equipment a healthy human could expect to die of hyperthermia after 30 minutes of exposure to the sweltering air, a fact Mike was painfully aware of when his respirator failed dangerously far from the research base. The last thing he remembers of Earth was the way enormous crystals seemed to be crackle with energy as he tried to stagger home.

As you can imagine, Mike was quite shocked when he awakened in the snow, of all things, but that wasn't nearly astonishing as the man who had roused him: an elderly half orc hermit by the name Trask. Oddly, Trask didn't seem to find Mike's tale terribly implausible, apparently believing that people were known to end up on other "planes" upon dying, a statement which only begged even more questions, many of which Trask couldn't answer. Luckily, Trask was far from ignorant in other matters--he had been an able adventurer in his day, and proved to be an able if intimidating teacher. Soon Mike could muddle his way through several bizarre new languages. More importantly, he was taught the "first secrets of battle," the basics of a strange but undeniably effective form of magical combat that allowed him to perform feats of strength he would never have believed possible. Hopefully these new talents would serve him well as he struck out on his own for Marinthia.

Anyway, I guess if we're allowing flaws I'd probably just go for Pathetic and Improved Initiative and take either Spot or Intimidate as his background skills--being a camera jockey taught him to have a sharp eye for details and Trask taught him to fight like an orc first and foremost.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Alright, cool, I was hoping one of you two would be a melee guy that I could Enlarge Person with (Kaelik I can still Reduce Person on though).
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, your Enlarge Person briefly had me a bit on the fence as to what maneuver to take. Gaining DR as an on-hit effect isn't terribly impressive, but an Enlarged greatsword is often dangerous enough that another d6 tacked on would be overkill anyway.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

The other player is a http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=49091 curator. This is the first time he is playing anything other than a dwarf cleric. XD
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Alright, cool, I've seen those in the PDF forever but never played as one or with one, so this should be interesting.

But I'm absolutely fiddling with the sorcerer class to have a magic based auto attack instead of a crossbow based auto attack, even if it's basically a flavor distinction.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

What, exactly, is absolutely fiddling? If it does the same average damage as a crossbow, I don't really care how you do it. If you do 2 damage every round without failure, that is about the same as a light crossbow... eh. the math is beyond me right now. I am drunk. Ignore everything I post.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

forum seems to have eaten up my post from before, let's try this again

Now there's an "arcane blast" option on the list of sorcerer secrets. They can pick a secret at level 1, but they don't get an automatic familiar.

So basically, compared to what I had before, I traded my wolf for a fire blast thing.

Full Text:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sorcerers are proficient with all Simple weapons. They are not proficient with any form of Armor or Shield, and such things can interfere with their spellcasting as well (see Arcane Spell Failure).

Spells: A sorcerer casts Arcane spells from their path list, as well as spells from the Wizard spell list. Any spell that the sorcerer knows can be cast as long as they have a remaining slot available, Sorcerers do not need to prepare their spells ahead of time.

To cast a spell, a sorcerer must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a sorcerer's spell is 10 + the spell level + the sorcerer's Charisma modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a sorcerer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Sorcerer. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma score.

A sorcerer's selection of spells is extremely limited. They begin play knowing all the 0th and 1st level spells of their Path. At each level above first they can select an additional spell off of the Wizard Spell List of any spell level that they have available.

Unlike other arcane spellcasters, a Sorcerer does not need to provide materials components for any of her spells unless there is a costly material component price. The Sorcerer's path provides the additional energy to replace any minor material components.

Cantrips: In addition to their normal spells per day, each Sorcerer knows three can trips according to their Sorcerous Path. These cantrips can be cast as often as the Sorcerer desires. At third level the Sorcerer can select one additional Cantrip to know, from the Wizard Spell List.

Sorcerous Path (Ex): At 1st level a Sorcerer must select what Path their sorcery comes from. Each sorcerer path grants a special ability, some additional class skills, and a list of automatically known spells. Here are some Paths, though you could probably write others if you wanted:

<giant path list stuff that i'm not going to include here it's basically the same>

Sorcerous Secret: At every odd class level (1st, 3rd, etc), the Sorcerer selects a Sorcerous Secret from among the following list:

[*]Armored Casting (Ex): The Sorcerer can now cast her spells in Light Armor without Arcane Spell Failure, and she gains Light Armor Proficiency. This ability can be selected a second time, granting Medium Armor Casting (and Proficiency), and a third time to grant Heavy Armor Casting (and Proficiency).

[*]Arcane Blast (Sp): As an attack action, the Sorcerer can make a Short Ranged Touch Attack that deals 1d6 damage per level. The damage is of a type determined by the Sorcerer's Path, either Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, or Physical.

[*]Arcane Piercing (Su): When dealing damage of any kind, the Sorcerer can choose to ignore an amount of Energy Resistance, DR, and/or Hardness equal to their character level. If she selects this a second time she can even pierce through an Immunity to a damage type, dealing half damage to targets that would normally be immune.

[*]Chaotic Soul (Su): When the Sorcerer casts a spell of any spell level other than her highest, she may subtract 2 from its effective caster level and then add 1d6 to its effective caster level. If the die rolls a 1, a completely unexplained magical effect occurs instead of the spell, as though she had used a Rod of Wonder (the spell slot is still expended). The targeting for the effect is as close to the spell's original targeting as possible within the parameters of the wondrous effect.

[*]Claws of the Ancestors (Ex): The sorcerer's heritage manifests as pointy bits made of the sorcerer's own body. She gains two primary claws and a secondary bite as natural weapons, which deal damage appropriate for the sorcerer's size (1d6 for medium Sorcerers). These are magic weapons (with a +1 enhancement bonus per three character levels, rounded up) and they use the Sorcerer's Charisma bonus instead of his Strength bonus for all purposes. Once per round, if the sorcerer hits with any of her natural weapons, she may apply one touch-range spell he knows with that weapon (expending the appropriate spell slot as normal).

[*]Extra Spell (Ex): The sorcerer learns one additional spell from the Wizard spell list. This spell can be of any spell level except for the Sorcerer's highest spell level. Every time the Sorcerer gains a level they can re-select what spell this ability grants, including selecting a higher level spell if their maximum spell level just went up. This ability can be selected more than once.

[*]Familiar (Ex): A sorcerer can turn a normal Animal into a familiar. Doing so takes 24 hours and uses up magical materials that cost 100 gp. The sorcerer chooses the kind of familiar she gets. She can select any Animal of a size smaller than her own as the base creature. The creature's type becomes Magical Beast, and it gains an Intelligence score of 6. The animal familiar can speak one language, selected from any of the Sorcerer's automatic languages according to their race. The familiar always has at least as many hit points and hit dice as the Sorcerer does, though if it would normally have more than that it keeps the higher amount. Its class skills are Listen, Spot, Survival, and all of the Sorcerer's Path Skills. It can also use the Sorcerer's base saves in place of its own if that would give it a higher total save bonus.

The familiar is probably pretty useless at fighting, and doesn't count as a Cohort. The main benefit of the familiar is that it can put all its skill points into a skill you don't have and then use that skill for you. Also it can fly or climb or whatever based on its animal type, so it can also do some simple scouting. If the familiar dies, it can be returned to life in any of the normal ways, or the Sorcerer can obtain a new one by performing a new ritual. The sorcerer can also dismiss a familiar to get a new one if they need to, without having to kill the old one. It goes back to being just a normal animal.

[*]Improved Familiar (Ex): (Requires Familiar) The Sorcerer's familiar improves greatly, becoming a full Cohort. Advance the familiar as necessary in whatever way you like to give it the proper CR. Unlike a normal familiar, an improved familiar always uses its own Hit Dice, Hit Points, and Saves according to whatever progression you're using for it. It can also be any animal of the Sorcerer's size or less (instead of having to be one size smaller). It's still a Magical Beast with an Intelligence of 6 that can speak at least one language though.

Since this option required another, your Improved Familiar also gains a Resistance Bonus to Saves and an Enhancement Bonus to Natural Armor (both equal to one third its level, rounded up). An Improved Familiar can also hold items in their paws and/or mouth (depending on animal) and use them just as well as if they had thumbs and crap, so they can fire little bows and use daggers and whatever, like they were in a Redwall book. It's totally adorable really, and it gives them +2 on Charisma Checks. The Sorcerer must be at least 6th level to gain an Improved Familiar.

[*]Planar Cohort (Ex): The Sorcerer can gain some sort of extra-planar creature (an Outsider or Elemental) as their Cohort. It uses all the normal rules for Cohorts. The Sorcerer must be at least 6th level to select this option.

[*]Shield Casting (Ex): The Sorcerer can now cast her spells while using a shield without chance of spell failure. She must still have one hand free to perform the Somatic component of the spell, if any, so she either needs to use a Buckler or not hold a weapon in hand to cast spells while using a shield.

[*]Skill Mastery (Ex): The Sorcerer can Take 10 with her Path Skills, even if the situation would not normally allow her to do so.

Ultimate Sorcery (Ex): Whenever a 20th level Sorcerer cast a spell, she automatically wins the game.
Last edited by Lokathor on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

First session tonight. Just a reminder.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Funny story guys:
This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement . . . The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt[.]
If only I had freedom of movement. Oh wait.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

...You know, I had just recently made a demodand typed character in another game precisely for that reason too.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

The big deal wasn't the Entangle, though that drew things out for sure, the big deal was that the two "main" enemy goblins were getting their con score to HP like we were, and so it turned things into basically a 4th edition fight. I used at least 3 arcane blasts, 1 burning hands, and all of my fireballs. That's at least 10 rounds of stuff, which is super long in 3e terms. I think it'll work itself out as we move up a few levels and the level 1 hp boost becomes a smaller percent bonus compared to the normal expected hit points of stuff.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lokathor wrote:The big deal wasn't the Entangle, though that drew things out for sure, the big deal was that the two "main" enemy goblins were getting their con score to HP like we were, and so it turned things into basically a 4th edition fight. I used at least 3 arcane blasts, 1 burning hands, and all of my fireballs. That's at least 10 rounds of stuff, which is super long in 3e terms. I think it'll work itself out as we move up a few levels and the level 1 hp boost becomes a smaller percent bonus compared to the normal expected hit points of stuff.
O no, I agree, I just thought it was funny, because we encountered literally both the things FoM protects against and in neither case did I remember that I had FoM.

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

On a side note, I think that things that prevent other things from happening should probably generally not work if the thing it's trying to block is a higher level effect, such as a level 5 druid's entangle spell being able to grab on to a level 4 demodand. Or a level 17 cleric's Harm spell being able to affect a level 10 creature with Death Ward. Though level 1 FoM protecting you from level 1 Entangle would of course still work.

Lately I seem to be wanting level to play a bigger part in the game than it already does. Probably been watching too much anime.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lokathor wrote:On a side note, I think that things that prevent other things from happening should probably generally not work if the thing it's trying to block is a higher level effect, such as a level 5 druid's entangle spell being able to grab on to a level 4 demodand. Or a level 17 cleric's Harm spell being able to affect a level 10 creature with Death Ward. Though level 1 FoM protecting you from level 1 Entangle would of course still work.
Then you are a fucking idiot.

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

As far as being a DM goes, I am a bit of an amateur. So if anything seems bad/notfun, let me know and I will try to do better.

So far that is
1. Lower HP on enemies, but maintain them using abilities and things.
2. Actually remember to give you guys a decent documents of my homebrew, not just try to write everything in the first post.

Next week, same time. I posted it on roll20
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x