Running [s]Started in[/s] a Red Hand of Doom campaign [lvl6]

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Running [s]Started in[/s] a Red Hand of Doom campaign [lvl6]

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I'll be refereeing this now; after talking with the existing MC (who really doesn't want to run)

So, a friend of mine decided to run a [Tome] version of RHoD, with Elite Array, DM-generated characters.

Right now; the campaign starts with the PCs being roaming band of adventurers on the make. Their spiritual leader (my PC), has recently received a vision from their patron about a vault full of magic items. Also, (now conformed) we've heard reports about an armed force of brigands in the area that threatens trade in the region; and are convinced we can draft them into our army (the old, dark ages classification of 7+ men; being the legal threshold of what a dark ages village should be expected to confront without their feudal lord's assistance).

As I don't have the character sheets myself, the PCs as best as I can recall are:

Deep Halfing Rogue
Commander of the Left Flank (Jade Dragon banner)
Notes:
Feats:Weapon Finesse, Expert Tactician, [something]
Magic Items:Items: We found a pair of Detect Magic shortswords; they're going to get one.

Sneak attacker; works amazing when flanking with the Bard in a melee (having +6d6 SA dice, due to a bard ability). Very sneaky. Able to easily shift between ranged and melee attacks.

Wants to: As a rogue; be sneaky, kill things, get rich. As a halfling; ride doggies (we have a pair of hellhounds in the group now; I think my "take prisoners, and recruit them into our army" policy became more palatable when "cute doggies" presented itself on the recruitment table)

Played by: The only person in the group who's possibly played TTRPGs longer than I have. Player uses a notepad to send the DM notes, so that the rest of the players don't know what's going on.
Orc Barbarian
Commander of the Right Flank (Diamond Tiger banner )
Notes:
Feats:Great Fortitude, Blitz, Whirlwind [I had originally thought TWF would be better; but Whirlwind is good too]
Magic Items: Greataxe, Animal spirit Armour

Fairly straightforward character; has been a solid melee shredder from the first encounter, and their Rage speed helped to keep an NPC cleric from escaping (the Hold Person my Cleric cast on them) and warning any allies.

Wants to: I can't say. They seem happy meleestomping things and being part of sneak attacks on enemies.

Played by: The newest, and new to TTRPGs, member of the group. Significant other of the Elf Illusionist's player
Grey Elf Illusionist
Commander of the Vangaurd (Topaz Snaket banner)
Notes:Barred Evocation, Necromancy
Feats:Subtle spell, Extend Spell, bunch of other metamagic feats
Magic Items:

Lots of Metamagic feats; due to item creation feats not being necessary to create items. The elimination of damage spells; and starting spell list chosen by a DM who likes the "Spell that fvcking kill people" and "Spells that win the game" threads; means that they almost always have something useful to throw at the enemy, or layer on themselves.

Wants to: Learn more spells (I'm assuming, only); also, not dying.

Played by: The second newest TTRPG player in the group
Human Bard;
Commander of the Main force (Ruby Phoenix banner)
Notes:Good at diplomatic oratory. Party healer.
Feats:
Magic Items:

Played by: The original owner of the RHoD campaign/adventure booklet the DM is currently using.
Deep Dwarf "Warlock"
Commander of the Rear (Hematite Turtle banner)
Notes:
Feats:
Magic Items:

I can't be certain which class this PC uses; but it seems like an effective class so far. I'm assuming it's a DM created one, as they've made some [Tome] content already, and their Ranger was in the earliest [Tome] versions of the Community Material chapter. This class will supposedly 50/50 the Same Game test, from what the DM says.

This PC deals great ranged damage; and deals themselves damage to use spell like abilities. They also get Lower Planes pets and have a constant Tongues effect active. Has the [Evil] subtype due to class; but is trying to play as a Neutral Good character

They've started (at lvl 6) with a Dretch who can be Invisible due to being a cohort with [Fiend] feats (i.e. Invisible on Stone); who is able to keep the rogue company on flank attacks.

Wants to: establish a good kingdom; even if their powers are inherently evil, and applied using evil-seeming methods.

Played by: A person who likes spellcasters; but really enjoys blasters as well (e.g. Fire Mage, Spherelock). Host for game sessions.
Aasiamar Cleric of Mask/Masque
Scion of the Ancient Emipre (Executioner's Axe, Gilded standard
Notes: Luck, Trickery, domains
Feats: Subtle Spell, Extend Spell, Zen Archery
Magic Items: Mask of Silence Bone Armour of Light; Dragonscale shield of Acid Resistance;

I am, like I have in many other games; going to use this as an opportunity to raise an in-game army. As leadership feats are prohibited. The other Players will take control of actual forces.

I'm also considering the access to Onyx that I've got, and will probably going to accidentally an undead army in the near future. Currently claiming to be a scion of a fallen empire. Is raising an army. Has appointed the other 5 PCs to be the commanders of the five imperial hosts , and the party's cart carries the ancestral banners (for now).

What I want: To achieve deception. To have my character bluff their way to creating the most deceptive thing possible; an empire that seems all about good and justice on the surface; but is all the opposite the whole time. I'm pretty sure the other players get it when my character goes on about how it's the PC's their moral duty in burying the enemy dead and giving them burial rites (as well as not forcing the just surrendered, living, to bury their freshly killed former compatriots); whether the other PCs will help, or not.

Played by: Me
blank character template; in case PCs die
Species Class
Role (Heraldric emblazon)

Notes:
Feats:
Magic Items:

Played by:
-------------------
Actual campaign thus far:

We've done the first encounter; and thoroughly crushed it. The Deep Dwarf warlock spotted the initial ambush at the start of RHoD; and we set up a counter ambush. The Warlock's Invisible-on-Stone Dretch, the Rogue, Bard, and Barbarian advanced along the side closest to the "house" on the starting map (we didn't actually consider the house in the plan, but this is what we would have done if we had as well). Meanwhile; the Wizard, Warlock, and my Cleric continued along with the parties cart and mules; coming to a pause just before the ambush point. At which point the Warlock's Dretch telepathically commnicates the "Go!" term for this attack. During our party's surprise round two casters sink some crossbow bolts into the closest hob that the rest of the party isn't near; the warlock vaporizes the second one; and the other three hobgoblins get attacked from all angles by the Dretch, Rogue and Bard who grants them +3d6 SA dice. The Barbarian was slightly further back to keep the odds of success higher; and whirlwinded through the three Hobs they were attacking (triggering their Rage on the first; gibbing the second, and badly hurting the last one. This pulled attention away from the Bard and Rogue, but that hardly mattered.

At the end of that surprise round, the PCs killed 4/6 hobgoblins; and the last two surrendered when the Bard made an oratory check to give up and join the imperial army; or be punished for their hand in the red doom.

Then came the next group of six hobs, two hellhounds, and two classed Hobs (knight (4) cleric (3)). The hell hounds scented the invisa-dretch and tried to play "fry the demon"; but did 1 pt of damage after Fire resistance. The armoured classed Hob issued a Knight challenge to the barbarian (and ate a lot of damage for it). The Wizard cast Glitterdust. I failed to Blind the Caster Hob; but they got panicked by the Warlock (who dealt 13 damage to themselves for the effect); and was able to Hold Person them with their lowered saving throws. The barbarian whirlwinded through the Knight hob, and cut down the cleric hob.

We Greyhawked the bodies (7x [+1 str] comp. longbows; longswords, chain shirts, hvy metal shields, arrows; 2x Detect Magic Short Swords; Heavy Armour of Light). Performed a funeral ritual over the now buried dead, to show our respect for the fallen soliders. However we didn't bury the commander NPCs, as we plan on "punishing them beyond death" for their crimes of leading their soldiers poorly, and wanting to waste their soldiers lives fighting the advance agents of such an obviously superior army.

I haven't actually read the adventure; but I'm thinking that more "kill the commanders" type goals will be effective; as could Charming them; over doing as much actual fighting as we've done so far.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

[Update]
I'm now running this; going to try to use the most ... "up to date" [Tome] content available. I'll be using pretty much anything in the repository (especially including Kaelik's [Tome] Errata b/c writing remotely passable [Tome] stuff is hard enough; and the issues that [Tome] leaves glare more around a decade of existence); although I'm banning any of my own classes/PrCs that aren't finished. As well as using Red Rob's Simplified Armour, Magic Item, & Magic Item Acquisition, Rules. Finally, I'm eager to see how Kaelik's skill groups system works; the idea has a lot of merit, and it's tighter groups are something I've been wanting to use to group After Sundown's "Active" and "Background" skills (30 broad background types seems fine

Right now things I need to do next are:

-recieve the character sheets at my After Sundown game tomorrow
-use Kaelik's skill groups on the character sheets
-apply Red Robs magic items rules
-see if any of Kaelik's Errata applies

The next session might not be until after Easter; or earlier if I can manage to get people together via skype.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Second Session Sunday May 10-ish 2016

So, the second and third sessions have come and gone; and the Players have made a lot of progress in the first "day" of the campain.

10:00~ Clean up after ending roadblock

-Loot the dead Hob commanders (haul their bodies)
-

12:00~ Arrive at the outskirts of Drellin's Ferry

-PCs leave their laden wagon, Hellhounds, Invisa-Dretch, and Hobgoblins

3rd Session
Alright update from the most recent session:

-The PCs demonstrated that they could kill [arbitrary] amounts of 6-Headed Hydras

-Non-attending PCs engaged in strategic campaign goals (travel to Drellin's Ferry, to sell loot, purchase supplies/equipment, and hire as many 1st lvl warriors as the town has (potentially hireable from the recently conscripted Drellin's Ferry Militia:

-55 1st lvl Commoners (10 gp Recruit)
-15 2nd lvl Commoners (20 gp Veteran)
-6 3rd lvl Commoners (40 gp Mercenary)
-14 1st lvl Warriors (10 gp Privately Equipped)
-8 2nd lvl Warriors (20 gp Corporals)
-4 3rd lvl Warriors (90 gp Sirgents)

If they're able to convince the Drellin's Ferry Commander, Soranna (Fighter 5), of their plan (advance on the Bandits in an aggressive counter-offensive while they don't realize they've underestimated the region and are being wiped out).

-Captured Hobs to target the other (4-6?) other Hobgoblin camps that are likely within the region
-Offer camps a chance to surrender (leave a gap, don't surround them totally)
-Attack camps with alchemical fire/lamp oil + lit torches
-Fend off defenders with polearm screens (They'll see the gap & run)
-Kill routed with massed crossbows (aim for the gap)
-Charm, Diplomize, Conscript all who surrender,
{Secret Party Objectives}
-Convert who you can to Mask [Loyalist troops],
-Non-converts must make Loyalty Oaths to the Shadow Empire [Confidence Game "points"]

With this tactic, each camp can easily be defeated in detail in the next two or three days, and any remaining Hobs can be dealt with as they try to escape across the two routes the Ranger Jorr has told the party about (the Woodcutter's path, Skull Gorge Bridge).

Of course; that's only if it's a few tribes sending out a warcamp each; and not part of the scouting force of a much larger incursion.

At which point you can unlock the town guard which number:
-14 1st lvl Warriors
-9 2nf lvl Warriors
-5 3rd lvl Warriors
-4 2nd lvl Fighters
-2 4th lvl Fighters
-1 5th lvl Fighter (Soranna Annitah herself)

If the PCs wish, the other high level NPCs in town they could tap to lend support for this plan to proceed in an n emergency Town Council meeting:

-Norro Winston (Ari 5) Leader of Town Council
-Brother Derny (lvl 5 Clc Pelor) Highest in-town Cleric
-Sertieren the Wise (Abjurer 5 [Currentlyy Crafting & Gem Procuring for PCs])Most Powerful Local Spellcaster
-Delora Zann (Rog1/Figh6) Ret. Adv. & Town Councilor
-Kellin Shadowbanks (Rog 5) Inn Keeper & Town Councilor
-Iormel (Ari 3) Miserly Merchant, Town Councilor

-Avarthel (Dru 7) Highest level Druid in immediate vicinity of Drellin's Ferry

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Making a list of Outsiders and Monsters that would fit in with the Mask-themed party

Spellshadow
http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/block/Spellshadow

Shadow Eft
[Stats]
http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/block/Shadow_Eft
[Image]
https://theshadowcitadel.wikispaces.com/Shadow+Efts

More RHoD campaign resources:
http://fallschaden.blogspot.ca/p/red-hand-of-doom.html
[HD Hand drawn (Tolkienesque style map of Elsir Vale]
http://abload.de/img/elsir-vale-handdrawnmpoq1.jpg
[HD Player's mam of Elsir Vale]
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IX-bK6EFz3o/V ... elrxrb.jpg

[HD Witchwood map; where the PCs are currently {i.e. Vraath Keep}]

http://abload.de/img/elsir-vale-witchwoodowsxl.jpg