[TomeRefDoc] Request for contributions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lokathor
Duke

[TomeRefDoc] Request for contributions

Post by Lokathor »

So we're working on the next iteration of the Awesome Tome, the "tome stuff compilation PDF" thing.

You can find it here: https://github.com/SqueeG/awesomeTome

(We don't have any new releases yet, so right now our "releases" section is just the older PDF versions.)

Anyway, this is where you all come in! The old AwesomeTome didn't actually get contribution credits for a whole lot of the things that it included. We're trying to not go that route, so we want as many of you as possible that have written Tome things to give us the go-ahead to include your stuff in the PDF compilation. When we put in your thing you'll get a credit in our OGL copyright section and everything.

Right now all we've actually got in terms of proper crediting and author permission is this tiny list:

Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
System Reference Document Copyright 2000-2003, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Rich Baker, Andy Collins, David Noonan, Rich Redman, Bruce R. Cordell, John D. Rateliff, Thomas Reid, James Wyatt, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Tome of Necromancy Copyright 2006, Frank Trollman and K
Tome of Fiends Copyright 2006, Frank Trollman and K
Dungeonomicon Copyright 2006, Frank Trollman and K
Races of War Copyright 2006, Frank Trollman and K
Book of Gears Copyright 2007, Frank Trollman and K
Koumei's Compiled Tome Stuff Copyright 2006-2014, Koumei

So clearly we need more content. If you want your stuff included just post one or more links to what we can include and if you want us to credit you under a real name or your username or what.

If you know anyone who used to post here that doesn't any more but that put Tome stuff up, please ask them about this. Lots of things that we take for granted, such as a lot of the [Skill] feats and the [Elemental] spheres and such have been posted by posters that don't seem to come to this site any more. If we can't get a credit and author permission, we can't really include it in the next version of AwesomeTome. If they've already posted at some point that people can use their stuff in other things then please link to where they said that.

Please Be Aware: Once you have a thing included it becomes Open Game Content, which means that other people could pick up and edit your stuff and include it in their own OGL work as well (they'd have to carry over the credit though, just like we have the SRD credit in our PDF). The AwesomeTome project might even edit your things to make them fit in with the rest of the PDF (probably just formatting, but if we for example rewrite the Leadership rules then any class that gives a Leadership feat or Cohort might need a change).

If you're wildly averse to the idea of people potentially editing your works, then please don't have us include it.

EDIT:
The following folks have said to have their stuff included
  • Avoraciopoctules (any)
  • erik (Tome Rogue)
  • fbmf (any)
  • Frank Trollman (any)
  • Hicks (everything in signature)
  • Iaimeki (Skill feats)
  • IGTN (Wiki stuff, according to his page)
  • Josh_Kablack (any)
  • K (any)
  • Kaelik (any)
  • Koumei (any, but with the note to attempt to preserve non-OGL references where possible)
  • LR (any)
  • Manxome (any, but with the note that almost none of it is tested)
  • Prak_Anima (various)
  • Quantumboost (revised Path Sorcerer, initial work was by Frank)
  • RadiantPhoenix (any)
  • Shatner (any)
  • SunTzuWarmaster (Weapon of Righteous Destruction)
  • Wiseman (various)
Last edited by Lokathor on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:52 am, edited 11 times in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Any full class Kaelik ever made. I think there's like 3 of them.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

According to the Community Repository there are in fact 7 or so: Cartharz Conduit, Elemental Siphon, Favored Souls, Force Potentate, Invoker, Storm Lord, Warlock. Along with some Tome of Trees stuff.

Which is great, but what we need is a post where Kaelik actually says something to the effect of "yeah people can use my stuff" the same way that Frank, K, and Koumei have.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:Any full class Kaelik ever made. I think there's like 3 of them.
Fuck you asshole. There are lots of those.
Lokathor wrote:According to the Community Repository there are in fact 7 or so: Cartharz Conduit, Elemental Siphon, Favored Souls, Force Potentate, Invoker, Storm Lord, Warlock. Along with some Tome of Trees stuff.

Which is great, but what we need is a post where Kaelik actually says something to the effect of "yeah people can use my stuff" the same way that Frank, K, and Koumei have.
Also Cold Dude and Shadowcaster off the top of my head that aren't in that list.

But Warlock is actually not finished. and arguably not Elemental Siphon (in the sense that there are 10 and 15 level classes, but no PrCs).

And while it probably exists somewhere else: Yeah, people can use my stuff.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Classes that only go to 10 or 15 are perfectly fine even without PrCs specifically for them. Other PrCs can usually be adapted if needed, and honestly I doubt that most games go much beyond level 10 anyway. Anyone who is running games above level 10 probably knows enough of what they're doing to make things work out.

Thank you, and noted.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Go ahead and use my stuff. I haven't made much, and most of it is just exercises in, "huh, is this possible?"

The things I think you might conceivably be interested in: (I might have forgotten some things)
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Also thanks. Though, that +16 power on the Ludicrous Shot feat might be a bit much >_>
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Lokathor wrote:Also thanks. Though, that +16 power on the Ludicrous Shot feat might be a bit much >_>
If you're a sniper, you want to be able to snipe people from at least as far away as they can charge into melee with you from in a single round, and at 17th level, that means, "anywhere in existence".
erik
King

Post by erik »

Can use my Tome Rogue if you want.

Include this image with Ludicrous Shot and then it cannot be omitted.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

erik wrote:Can use my Tome Rogue if you want.

Include this image with Ludicrous Shot and then it cannot be omitted.
Really shadowy. I think I like it. It's different enough that we might just include it along side the normal Rogue (as "Shadow Rogue" or something).

Sadly, I don't think the Monty Python pic will make it in...
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm cool with any and all of the following being included, if they're wanted:
Hulking Berserker
Spectral Lantern (I finished the spheres, added White/Life, changed it to be non-copyright infringing-ish, and will do some descriptive stuff and a skill list momentarily)
Negative Energy Infused
Swarmshifter
Net of the Pirate Kings
Acquire Familiar feat
Implacable Stride feat
The Iron Suit, Starry Shield, and Mjolnir to compliment Hulking Berserker, if you want specific items in the tome.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Yes... we have to come up with some sort of item model situation. Not sure what it's going to be at the moment though. I'm pretty sure there's at least two different "complete reworks" that are mutually exclusive floating around at the moment.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

You could put them all in as options the way the Tomes currently list the different economies, how undead can be inherently evil or just risky, etc.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:[*] Champion of Lolth ("Spiderman")
Hey, my first thread here. That brings back memories :)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I humbly submit everything in my signature (except for the Avatar RPG, it's not d20); especially the Mage and Scaling Magical Weapons.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm working on converting the War-Arrach to tome so that it actually interacts with the Spherelock, rather than the old, shitty 3.5 Warlock. Someone will of course need to look at it to make sure my changes didn't fuck the balance.

Here's the Tome War-arach

If a version of Warlock other than the Spherelock is put into this, then I'll need tweak the war-arach again, but I'll probably just divorce it somewhat from the warlock.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

If you want to use any of my stuff, go on ahead.

Game On,
fbmf
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

I'd strongly suggest looking at Red Rob's magic item supplementary rules, and seeing if they can be included. They're somewhere in IMOI.

edit: and, possibly, Kaelik's Tome Errata
Last edited by Korgan0 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Hit up Red Rob and ask him about his magic items and tome armor.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Hicks wrote:I humbly submit everything in my signature
Cool.
Prak wrote:If a version of Warlock other than the Spherelock is put into this, then I'll need tweak the war-arach again, but I'll probably just divorce it somewhat from the warlock.
Seems unlikely that we'll put the Sphere-lock into it, because Ceiling Cat doesn't post here any more as far as I know.
fbmf wrote:If you want to use any of my stuff, go on ahead.
Wonderful.
Chamomile wrote:Hit up Red Rob and ask him about his magic items and tome armor.
Project work is honestly quite slow at the moment, so there's plenty of time for him to finish his complete thing before we try to work that in too. Last I checked he was still working on iterations.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lokathor wrote:
Prak wrote:If a version of Warlock other than the Spherelock is put into this, then I'll need tweak the war-arach again, but I'll probably just divorce it somewhat from the warlock.
Seems unlikely that we'll put the Sphere-lock into it, because Ceiling Cat doesn't post here any more as far as I know.
Ah, fair. Any idea which version of Warlock is going to be put in? I mean, the only function call it makes is the Eldritch Blast, and that's simple enough to change (fuck, I forgot to add something to it anyway...), so it could even be a standalone PrC.

edit: honestly, I think Kaelik's warlock is kind of dumb. Given the way he wrote, that almost seems to be the point. I'm sure mechanically it's great, but the fluff, in my opinion, needs to be rewritten (not demanding that you personally rewrite the fluff, Kaelik, because I know you don't care). Also adding yet another type of ability to D&D probably isn't the greatest idea.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak_Anima wrote:edit: honestly, I think Kaelik's warlock is kind of dumb. Given the way he wrote, that almost seems to be the point. I'm sure mechanically it's great, but the fluff, in my opinion, needs to be rewritten (not demanding that you personally rewrite the fluff, Kaelik, because I know you don't care). Also adding yet another type of ability to D&D probably isn't the greatest idea.
As previously stated, the Warlock is mechanically incomplete. It literally does not have abilities past like 5th level, and the abilities it gets before 5th level include a super broken no save fear effect. It should never have been included at all on that list, and I have no idea why it was, while he simultaneously also never included the classes I requested he include.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, right. I'd forgotten that comment.

I might do a remake of Ceilingcat's Spherelock so that something like it can be included.

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I assume that you're talking about some previous inclusion request to someone else, because we haven't even started to make any changes since this topic was opened.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lokathor wrote:I assume that you're talking about some previous inclusion request to someone else, because we haven't even started to make any changes since this topic was opened.
I'm talking about the Tome Community Material Repository. You know, the one you linked to earlier in this thread as containing my Warlock.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

It'll be sad if the Spherelock doesn't make it, it was easily the best warlock build available since forever.
ah, right. I'd forgotten that comment.

I might do a remake of Ceilingcat's Spherelock so that something like it can be included
Thank goodness.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...