[Dom5] EA Uetés version 0.95

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

[Dom5] EA Uetés version 0.95

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I've been working on a bunch of Native North American nations for Dom5 for a while now. This is the first one to be ready for alpha testing, and I'd appreciate any feedback; playtest, theory, or other.

UPDATE: Version 0.95
• Fixed up a few details on the heroes.
• Replaced a few more generic spells that affect only animals with national spells that are not so restricted.
• Tuét bear-form leadership reduced from 40 to 10.

Experimental overhaul, to-wit:
• All Miogat are now 2 RP and recruit-anywhere
• All troops are now recruit-anywhere
• All titillu troops are now #reqlab
• Fortcost +500%

The previous overhaul rendered the nation nonviably weak, attempted fix, to-wit:
• Miogat can be recruited *in the capital only* for 1 CP and cannot be recruited in forts (except for the capital).
• Greatly reduced the RP cost of troops.
• Added a special PD-only commander with extra troops.
• On a side-note, I found an okay fix for the Coyote pretender's shapechanging triggering cheat messages.

UPDATE: Version 0.91
• Some minor cost reductions for porcupine and beaver warriors.
• Bear warriors given a 1/turn reclimit.
• Tuét had one random path removed and their cost increased.
• National heroes and multiheroes added.
• One national pretender added.
• Set the nation to prefer Cold 1.
• Replaced certain generic spells that affect only animals with national spells that are not so restricted.
• Added some national events, some for the nation itself, some to add flavor to heroes.

Version 0.9

Nation Overview
ImageImage
Troops
Human militia-grade chaff.
All of the Titillú have animal abilities and also the equivalent of a low-grade Nature spell effect (much as elves have a Mirror Image effect). The bird-Titillú have Eagle Eyes.
Both quill attacks have weak poison. I'd really like these guys to have the poison barbs ability, but it seems to be bugged. When units have night vision, it's at 50%.
The Vine Arrow weapon is identical in effect to the Vine Arrow spell. It has 1 shot and they can't use their regular bow in the same round.
The Sleep Ray weapon is identical in effect to the Sleep Ray spell. It has 1 shot. Raccoon-Titillú also have Stealth +10 instead of +0 like all the other stealthy troop-level units.
The wolf-Titillú nature effect is the Construction 0 Hardwood Club.
Commanders
Only RP1 even though they're a caster, because Uetés forts max at Palisades.
The raccoon-commanders are Stealth +20 to other commanders' +10, and I threw on Spy because it makes sense, even if it would be a very inefficient use of a caster.
These guys actually have seven different shapes, being able to take on any of the other common Titillú kinds. Each shape has some #magicboost, offering one or two bonus paths, so long as the Tuét has any of that path naturally. These bonus paths are equal to the Miógat paths for the shape, -2 Nature. So...
ShapeMagicboost
Bird+2 Air
Fish+2 Water
Porcupine+2 Earth
Beaver+1 Water, +1 Earth
Raccoon+1 Air, +1 Earth
Wolf+1 Death
Bear+1 Nature

Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Nice!

-Considering that composite bows are kinda high-tech, feels weird seeing them in a faction which is still stuck with stone weaponry. Even EA Ulm that are supposed to be master crafters is limited to normal bows.
-That's a lot of quite expensive low-protection shieldless infantry with just a bit of extra HP and defense to show for it, feels like they would suffer heavy attrition from battle besides the wolf dudes. And that's before anybody starts bringing damage spells that ignore MR. Speaking of which why so high MR?
-Mages are all only 1 recruitment point when they should be 2 minimum.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

maglag wrote:-Considering that composite bows are kinda high-tech, feels weird seeing them in a faction which is still stuck with stone weaponry. Even EA Ulm that are supposed to be master crafters is limited to normal bows.
I read a lot of sources that differed on when native North American bows became composite. In the end, I rounded towards the more generous interpretation, especially since the Titillú are meant to be generally cleverer than humans. That said, I don't have strong feelings about the decision.
-That's a lot of quite expensive low-protection shieldless infantry with just a bit of extra HP and defense to show for it, feels like they would suffer heavy attrition from battle besides the wolf dudes. And that's before anybody starts bringing damage spells that ignore MR.
In my limited experience, that's not the case. Test armies of various compositions expand easily with almost no casualties against most indies, and in pitched battles against the AI they tend to shred the opposition before they can suffer much. I was very concerned about their low protection, but right now I'm actually more concerned that they aren't vulnerable enough.
-Speaking of which why so high MR?
Titillú are very much intended as the Amerindian elf-equivalents, so I gave them the same MR as elves.
The faction's forts top out at Palisades. Giving them 2 RP cost would make them all effectively slow-to-recruit. It does become an issue if they conquer a higher-level enemy fort, but I'm not sure how to address that. I considered a custom event to downgrade captured forts, but the event system can't detect fort level, AFAICT.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
The faction's forts top out at Palisades. Giving them 2 RP cost would make them all effectively slow-to-recruit. It does become an issue if they conquer a higher-level enemy fort, but I'm not sure how to address that. I considered a custom event to downgrade captured forts, but the event system can't detect fort level, AFAICT.
You make fair arguments for the other points, but this one isn't. There's no reason to top out at Palisades in dominions 5. Primitive nations like Yomi and Machaka can upgrade to fortresses now and even Pangaea gets custom bramble forts. It's pretty much hardcoded now that you'll need to spend extra time and gold to get full mage recruitment, basic pallisades aren't enough anymore.

It gives your nation a massive unfair advantage that you don't need to pay/wait for fort tax to get full mage recruitment and just gets silly if/when you start capturing somebody else's forts and get have double mage production.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

How come the fish dudes have 30 morale?

Bird Miogat wants to be a thug so bad. Give them a lion pelt, some holy water and a coral blade. Script mistform, personal regeneration, attack rear. It flies, it cloud trapezes, it comes so cheap.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

maglag wrote:You make fair arguments for the other points, but this one isn't. There's no reason to top out at Palisades in dominions 5. Primitive nations like Yomi and Machaka can upgrade to fortresses now and even Pangaea gets custom bramble forts.
If it were possible for the nation to top out at no forts at all, I'd have done that instead. They represent a culture region that seemingly did not build fortifications at all.
It gives your nation a massive unfair advantage that you don't need to pay/wait for fort tax to get full mage recruitment and just gets silly if/when you start capturing somebody else's forts and get have double mage production.
To be fair, lots of nations have massive unfair advantages, or things that look like them. I'm going to wait for more playtest data on this one because it's not occurring as a huge deal in my test games.
Grek wrote:How come the fish dudes have 30 morale?
Fish have 30 morale.
Bird Miogat wants to be a thug so bad. Give them a lion pelt, some holy water and a coral blade. Script mistform, personal regeneration, attack rear. It flies, it cloud trapezes, it comes so cheap.
Well, now I have to try that.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

maglag wrote:You make fair arguments for the other points, but this one isn't. There's no reason to top out at Palisades in dominions 5. Primitive nations like Yomi and Machaka can upgrade to fortresses now and even Pangaea gets custom bramble forts.
If it were possible for the nation to top out at no forts at all, I'd have done that instead. They represent a culture region that seemingly did not build fortifications at all.
And Pangaea's what, castle builders? Was the civilization that inspired Machaka renowed for their mighty lines of sky-high fortifications?

There's Uruk too that is supposed to be the nation that only ever has their starting city and gets most of their stuff as foreign recruit everything yet they don't have recruitment 1 mages either.

So yes even if you went and did everything foreign recruit, you still wouldn't be justified with recruitment 1 mages.
To be fair, lots of nations have massive unfair advantages, or things that look like them.
And the advantage of being able to start pumping mages faster because of cheaper faster forts was precisely one of the things that was curbed from Dominions 4 to 5.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I mean, if the nation proves to be overly strong, making all the mages slow-recruit would be an easy big nerf. But that's not something I'm going to do based on vague 'its-just-not-done' theorycraft.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

New Units
Coyote Pretender

Fox Prankster Hero

Hare Runner Hero

Wolverine Hero

Weasel Sorceress Hero

Skunk Sorcerer Hero

Bighorn Sheep Miógat Multihero

Cougar Assassin Multihero
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Mechanically I see nothing wrong with the units. Because what jumps out and smacks my eyeballs is your Theaming: Thematically, why did you make a Native American nation where all 7 native units are literally called out as stupid half-animals in the description who are sometimes cannibals? That is a trifecta of racist bullshit.

Spiritual, connected to nature, kinda still noble savage? But at least that is positive. Literal stupid half-animal cannibals steeped in appropriated native American culture... like did you set out to do that or did you just never step back from the project and realize that theme is tone deaf racist, copy pasta'd 7 times and assumed in the nation description?
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I made a Native (north) American nation because I felt there weren't enough of them. Ideally, I'd like to make thirty (3 Ages x 10 culture groups). As for why the Titillú are like that, it's because that's how they are in the myths (or at least the ones that I read).
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

That is a deeply unsatisfactory defense of, "Oops, I did a racism."

You read a few myths. That's it. Then you appropriated those myths to make a Native American inspired nation where all the leaders are stupid dehumanized cannibals, and every human that follows them is too young or dumb to know any better.

Look. I know you already put a lot of work into it, and the sprites look nice. But srsly. Call a tribe and talk to a goddamn human native who actually knows those myths and find one where the they aren't depicted as young and stupid for following their religion you ripped off.

Or don't? I can't make you change anything. You'll believe what you want to believe, but now you'll know that at least somebody pointed it out. And hopefully you can't unsee it bad enough that you post it someplace more public without all the, most likely, accidental racism.

Talk to an expert. Chances are they would love to talk to you about their myths and history to a nom-explotative end.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Stuff I've Made
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions. I did not simply 'read a few myths. That's it.' I have done substantial research into the comparative mythologies of the various regions, including talking to more than one 'human native.' I certainly don't think I'm beyond pitfalls of insensitivity, but I have done my homework.

To address some of your specific complaints:
• The Titillú are not dehumanized. They have human and also animal traits because they predate the distinction. They are, in fact, superhuman.
• The Titillú are not stupid. They are generally cleverer than humans. They do have some specific blind spots because of their nature, like having trouble telling humans apart from deer.
• The Titillú are not cannibals, because they don't eat their own kind. And in general they only eat humans by mistake. (In the mod's events, they pay a death-price in apology.)

If you have a problem with my depiction of the Titillú, try reading the myth that's my prime inspiration. You'll find that I applied very little creativity.

• The humans who join the Titillú armies are not 'following their religion.' The Titillú are not figures to be followed according to their religion; they are selfish, dangerous, and sometimes monstrous. These humans are, in fact, acting against the advice of their elders, and depicted as the kind of young fools who do such things in the cautionary tales. The majority of humans who live in Uetés pay their taxes and otherwise have as little to do with the Titillú as they can, happy to have someone to keep away the ice-giant-witches of Kas mu das doosek and other powerful magical creatures that dominate the EA.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Yeah, I have no idea what Hicks is smoking. This is Dominions, a game where Hinnom uses actual Jewish religious titles and imagery applied to baby eating horned monsters. You have to accept that presenting demonic/monstrous creatures dressed in the trappings of the culture that imagined them is not equating them to that culture or you never get past the nation selection screen.

Anyway, Uetes looks nice sprite-wise with interesting lore and playstyle. No sacreds, no non-mage leaders and no non-cap priest is certainly not your average Dom nation! I'd prefer it if the commanders had different names purely because currently they will all be lumped together in battle reports, but thats a minor thing. More of an issue for me is the 1RP commanders that maglag already brought up. I get that this was done so they aren't hamstrung by only having access to palisades, but to me this is missing the point of the new fort system. Mages in Dom5 cost 2RP as a pretty hard rule, and there is good reason for that.

Back in Dom4 a fort was a fort, their prime function was giving access to national recruits and only the (relatively unimportant) wall defence and siege supplies differed as they advanced in tech level. As your default fort, and therefore the cost and time taken to build, were based on your tech level this meant that more primitive nations actually had an advantage in having cheaper and faster recruitment centers. Late age nations like Ulm and Marignon that spent time and gold building Citadels were chumps next to Mictlan that got 90% of the same functionality from a palisade at half the price and build time. This was all kinds of ass-backwards and was thankfully fixed in the new fort system. Nowadays the advantage of investing in industrialisation and citybuilding are that your nation can recruit more troops and mages in a concentrated area. So far, so good. However, by having a nation with palisades and all 1RP mages you go back to the bad old days.

Uetes, a "primitive" nation, gets the advantages (in Dom terms) of advanced civilization without having to bother with actually doing any of it. Most factions build a Palisade and then have to suffer half speed mage recruitment until they spend more gold and wait for a fort upgrade. Uetes can get a fully functional recruitment center up more quickly and cheaply than any other nation in the game. But wait, there's more! When they do get access to a fortress, which to be real will be most of their forts by mid-late game as you tend to capture rather than build after a while, they take to it like a duck to water. They can use them to churn out mages at twice the efficiency of other nations! I guess wild animalistic spirit creatures are just really at home in an urban environment?

Having them just be the best at infrastructure and go into turbo mode when exposed to advanced fortresses seems odd and unintended. I'd advise rather than using 1RP mages instead moving to the Fortified village > Wooden Fort line used by Rus and a few other more primitive nations in vanilla. Alernatively suck up the slow mage recruitment in forts and give them some other thematic benefit related to decentralised living such as a suite of foreign recruit troops and mages. If you are really serious about the no-forts thing you could give them Palisades at +500% cost and lean heavily into foreignrecruit. Not having forts would be quite a defensive penalty though.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

In my experience, the quick-production thing is a purely theoretical advantage. In practice, Uetés is so gold-limited that actually taking advantage of additional production sites is pretty challenging. Maybe a better player could get asymmetrical results, I don't know.

Now, I would actually be 100% down with your suggestion of overexpensive forts and foreignrecruit. It's a pretty radical shift in the gameplay, but I think it fits. I'll give that a try once I've worked out the latest round of bugs.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I have done some preliminary experimentation with RP2 casters and most units as recruit-anywhere. I have decided to make all the titillú units #reqlab, with the lab representing the unfortified settlement (as well as the usual mystic resource).

First impressions:
• My Pretender, all the casters being effectively slowrec is slow. Early research in particular is abysmal – the nation may just demand an awake research pretender.
• I think the troops need their rpcosts reduced, recruiting them is very slow going without forts.
• Uetés was already heavily biased to attacking over defending, and that's much more the case now. They seem super vulnerable to being rushed, and I'm wondering what I can do about that.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

What scales did you take in your test game?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Fluff note: Do petty magics come less easily to the commanders? Because "the petty magics that once came so easily to them" implies that their capability with those petty magics has been reduced, and I'm not sure if that's the intention.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Grek wrote:What scales did you take in your test game?
S3G3 and just G3. I'm going to try a proper scales build today.
Chamomile wrote:Fluff note: Do petty magics come less easily to the commanders? Because "the petty magics that once came so easily to them" implies that their capability with those petty magics has been reduced, and I'm not sure if that's the intention.
Yes. The idea is that actual paths replace their 1/battle spell-likes. You'll see that the bird-commanders don't have the faux-Eagle Eyes accuracy bonus, the wolf-commander's club isn't magic, the raccoon-commander doesn't have his Sleep Ray anymore, and so on.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

New version up. Changelog in OP.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Red_Rob wrote:Yeah, I have no idea what Hicks is smoking. This is Dominions, a game where Hinnom uses actual Jewish religious titles and imagery applied to baby eating horned monsters. You have to accept that presenting demonic/monstrous creatures dressed in the trappings of the culture that imagined them is not equating them to that culture or you never get past the nation selection screen.
No? Appropriating cultures and linking them to racial stereotypes are bad things to do. The designers of Dominions made a nation that appropriates Jewish culture, and then made their leaders literally so greedy they crave human flesh; that is as racist as it is wrong. They did a bad thing.

But here's the thing: you didn't design Dominions, you didn't do a racism and code it into a game, and nobody is forcing you to code a racism into a game, and therefore the fact that you didn't do that has literally nothing to do with repeating their gaff... so just don't do that? Nations could be anything and based on anything, but it is the designer's responsibility to not code in racist stereotypes.

In the fluff text of all places. There really is no good reason to do that. Either you just accidentally did a racism or you intentionally did a racism. The first you say, "My bad. I'll fix it so I don't insinuate the leaders of native Americans are sub human canibal monsters and anyone who follows their culture is too stupid to know any better because I appropriated their culture without thinking of what my work said or represented about their culture." OR naked racism is racism. Like that's it. Those are the two sides. Ignoring the problem once it is pointed out to you is just doubling down on racism.

And that's bad.
Last edited by Hicks on Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Hicks, it's very hard to take your criticism seriously when you just repeat your accusations without engaging with my response to them. I'm willing to have a discussion, but I'm not willing to have you threadcrap while ignoring me.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Angel, I'm not engaging with you defending a racist design choice because I do not engage with racist arguments defending racism, whether the offense was intentional or accidental. I do not care what you intended or what your inspiration was and nobody else should care; what matters are the real actions you took and what their effect is. My conversation with you on that topic has been over for three months. You either change it or don't, and that is the end of that critique. There is no meeting you in the middle of this, there is no discussion that could ever exist wherein I say what you did and continue to do is fine or justified.

You are wrong. And I could not care less that I called you out what was once twice in three months and today is now four times in three months.

My the third post was not engaging with you because it is specifically calling Red Rob out for making an argument that attempts to justify racist design choices due to the original game making racist design choices. A new challenger approaches with a new statement. And he is wrong. And I called him out too: writing racist material for a system with racist material is still a racist thing to do and does not excuse one's actions. One can always choose to not write racist material and there is no justification for doing so. And that is the end of that critique too.

And that brings us to this post and now the fourth time I have called you out. But since my second, third, and now fourth post are actually engaging with refuting specific posts with arguments addressed to and about me in this thread (and my first post was specifically in response to the OP), calling me a threadshitter seems incorrect.
Last edited by Hicks on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Hicks, Dominions 5 is a game where you play as nations based on mythical creatures from a wide variety of mythologies. Sometimes the mythology suggests a just nation full of heroes, like you see with T'ien Ch'i, Caelum and Rus, and sometimes the mythology suggests an evil nation full of monsters, like with Ermor, Abysia and Mictlan. Does this mean that Illwinter is racist in favour of the Chinese, the Persians and the Russians, but racist against the Italians, the Persians and the Nahuatl? No. It just means that some mythologies focus on how great and good and just their folk heroes are, while other mythologies focus on how evil and monstrous and doomed their foil characters are.

Some mythologies have mixtures of both elements. Notice how I had Persians listed as the cultural inspiration for both Caelum and Abysia? That was not a mistake. Caelum is based on the heroic Yazata of Zoroastrian mythology, while Abysia is based on the evil Daeva of Zoroastrian mythology. This is not intended to suggest that modern Zoroastrians are variously good winged people who make things out of ice OR evil hot-headed blood cultist slavers. It's just a game inspired in part by stories of the mythical battles between the Yazata and the Daeva in Zoroastrian mythology.

Hinnom is not "appropriating Jewish culture", it is a nation where you play as the supernatural creatures from Jewish mythology. Who are the bad guys, because Jewish mythology tends to put ordinary-but-pious humans in the role of the protagonist and casts the supernatural beings as the villains of the story. Contrast Ur, where the supernatural beings are wise priests blessed by the gods with magical power and divine authority. This doesn't mean that Sumerian culture is superior to Jewish culture, it just means that the Sumerians broadly had a more favorable view of the supernatural than the Jewish people do.