[3.Tomefinder] Beer & Pretzels PbP Recruiting

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

The Book of Gears does suggest getting rid of WBL, but I didn't see an alternative in there. Which part of the Book of Gears has magic items by level though?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

radthemad4 wrote:Avoraciopoctules: I'll take your sheet as a vote for Favored Class Bonuses (that is how you got the extra +1 to HP right?). I think you can still max out one more skill 4 (from Tome Monk), + 1 (from Human). Where'd you find the Blindsense and Scent fighting styles though? Acrobatics (Balance, Tumble and Jump) still uses Dex (marked as Str on your sheet). Athletics (New made up skill that combines Climb, Jump and Swim) (use whatever would be higher for Jump) uses Str. Or did you mean that to max both Acrobatics and Athletics?
Yes, the extra +1 HP per level was from favored class bonus.

Thanks for the skill clarification, I'll correct that momentarily. I'd like to invest skill points in stealth, perception, athletics, acrobatics, and I guess survival or something. I'm thinking this guy was some kind of athlete before he fell into whatever the adventure ends up being.

I found the blindsense fighting style here:
http://dndwiki.com/wiki/Monk_(3.5e_Class)

Fighting Style Abilities[edit]
- While Active, your Fighting Style provides a +4 Dodge Bonus to AC.
- While Active, your Fighting Style provides a +4 Dodge Bonus to Saving Throws.
- While Active, your Fighting Style forces any opponent struck by your slam attack to make a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Wisdom Modifier) or become stunned for one round. This can only affect any single opponent once per round.
- While Active, your Fighting Style allows you to make an attack of opportunity against any opponent who attacks you. This attack of opportunity must be a trip or disarm attempt.
- While Active, your Fighting Style provides you with concealment.
- While Active, your Fighting Style provides you with blindsense and scent.
- While Active, your Fighting Style provides a +30' Insight Bonus to your movement rate.
- While Active, your Fighting Style allows your slam attacks to ignore hardness and DR.
- While Active, your Fighting Style provides any bonuses it gives to your slam attack to any attack you make with any weapon.
- While Active, your Fighting Style causes your slam attack to inflict piercing damage and to inflict 2 points of Constitution damage.
- While Active, your Fighting Style causes your slam attack to inflict slashing damage and to reduce your opponent's movement rate by 10' every time they suffer damage from it. This movement rate reduction can be healed like ability damage (treating 5' of movement as 1 point of ability damage).
- While Active, your Fighting Style allows you to move through occupied spaces as if they were unoccupied and you provoke no attacks of opportunity for your movement.
I am fine with Tome items or Pathfinder wealth. If we go with the latter, I am probably going to invest heavily in potions, plus a cloak of resistance.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Thanks, the Tome pdf doesn't have that. I didn't know the monk was updated. I'll use the wiki monk instead of the pdf one from now on.

Could you tell me what the Tome items system is though? ubernoob's gone offline.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I haven't played Tome in a while, but a couple minutes of searching turned up these threads:

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51231
http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=53704

Basically, there doesn't seem to be any one system, just a bunch of ways people take the unfinished rules in.
EDIT: so we need to decide what we want items to do in the game. Is finding a magic sword going to be a big deal? Should we have all 8 slots filled as the game starts, and just switch out for better stuff as we find it? Are both going to apply?
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Thanks, I'll look through those.

I'd like to have the party start out with the kind of items a level 3 party probably should have, and have the party get more through looting monsters and dungeons, or as quest rewards. Finding your average Magic sword might not be a big deal, but finding say, Tamed Lightning or a Mirror Shard sword would. Magic items won't be rare, but I'd like to make them scaling and/or situationally useful, so you might want to swap out for a different 8 item set once in a while, or occasionally bring up old items again.

Oh, you might find this useful: More Monk Fighting Styles
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Sweet!
* While Active, your Fighting Style allows you to toss powerful energies at your opponents. You may count this energy as fire, cold, acid, or electric damage but you must choose the type at the time you first gain the style. As a standard action this energy may be projected out to close range (using your monk level as your caster level), requires a ranged attack, and deals 1d8 damage per 2 caster levels
Eye lasers!
*While Active, your Fighting Style grants you an additional slam attack at your highest base attack bonus
* While Active, your Fighting Style causes your slam attack to inflict bludgeoning damage and to inflict 2 points of Dexterity damage.
A debuff combo that might actually work on undead!
Thanks for the link.

Based on a quick skim, using Red_Rob's system means we'd each start with 2-4 Lesser items, plus some combination of potions, scrolls, and magical dust. That feels a little on the high end for "level 3 adventurer" for me, but it still leaves plenty of room for getting excited about finding a glowing ring in a chest.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

ubernoob wrote:Iirc, book of gears says you can equip up to your level in magic items max 8. I've been using that rule so long I don't even have a citation. I think it was in the original write up by frank, but don't hold me to that. I would very strongly prefer not using wbl at all. If we are using wbl instead of scaling book of gears stuff that means I have to dumpsterdive and play accountant. Frankly I just don't want to do those things. One of the design goals here at the den is to make char gen faster. Wbl fucks with that and I hate it so very much.
Seems reasonable to me. I'm in a phase where I kind of enjoy the fiddly accounting part of D&D character creation, but I'm certainly willing to go with a set number of scaling items as well.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Okay, a number of scaling items equal to your ECL (otherwise Prak would be missing one if he takes the Fey template) is fine.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Okay, resistance to saves, enhancement to punches, enhancement to armor. Nice and simple.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

ubernoob wrote:Iirc, book of gears says you can equip up to your level in magic items max 8. I've been using that rule so long I don't even have a citation. I think it was in the original write up by frank, but don't hold me to that. I would very strongly prefer not using wbl at all. If we are using wbl instead of scaling book of gears stuff that means I have to dumpsterdive and play accountant. Frankly I just don't want to do those things. One of the design goals here at the den is to make char gen faster. Wbl fucks with that and I hate it so very much.
While it's fine to use Scaling items and the 8 item limit, it's still best to stick to some sort of approximate wealth guidlines. A magic cloak of Endure Elements is clearly not the same market value as a Cape of the Mountebank. Even though they both give a scaling bonus to saves, the non-numeric portion of the item is a big difference. And a Mechanus Gear suit is clearly better than Full Plate, which is why it's worth over 7 times as much money.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I usually have scaling items cost the amount that a +1 version would cost in normal D&D. So a magic sword costs 2000g, magic armour 1000, etc.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Does everything that enhance STR or CON also enhance the other? Like enhancement bonuses or a racial bonus.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

ubernoob wrote:I'm not talking about medium/major items. Just straight +1/3 levels bare bones stuff. As far as mechanus gear or not, a simply "you can't have that yet. You need to go to mechanus and get it," would be a perfectly sane answer. Either way, the idea is to go full tin can paladin. +/- 2 AC isn't a game changer.
Alright. You can't start with Mechanus armor. You can go with Full Plate for now, and I'll let you loot something better sometime into the game. I wouldn't mind the next arc involving plane shifting to Mechanus, a Dragonmech city mech, or something like that (I'll let you respec your character if you want after the first arc).
OgreBattle wrote:Does everything that enhance STR or CON also enhance the other? Like enhancement bonuses or a racial bonus.
No. That's only for initial stats before racial bonuses. They're treated as completely separate from then on.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I'm really confused about what our items should look like. 3 scaling minor items? Three items that just have the scaling bonus, no minor property? What about mundane items and consumables? Are we using Rob's rules for wands and potions?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Horses are fine.

As for starting items, as far as I can tell you can have 2 lesser magic items at Level 3. Red Rob classifies them according to lesser, medium, and greater.

You can find them here. I'll throw in free handy haversacks and bags of holding for everyone, mostly because I don't feel like bothering to check encumbrance.

As for potions, wands and mundane items, I don't know how many you're expected to have at level 3, so I'm open to clarification or suggestions.

Red Rob changed the Tome equipment though. They don't have the Tome feat structure anymore (i.e. this many ranks unlock this feature). Some of them still have scaling bonuses though.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

My reading of it says that you get 8000gp worth of equipment by level 3 and that, presumably, any of the following combinations are valid:
  • Spear of Returning & Helmet of Fire Resistance
  • Sword of Flame & 15 charge/day Wand of Fireballs
  • Codpiece of Strengthful Striding & 40 Potions of Enlarge Person
  • Gloves of Ramming Resistance, 10 Scrolls (1st level), 1 Dust of Deep Slumber & 5 Potions of Mage Armour
  • Serpentine Owl Figurine & a Ring of Frost Resistant Fire Breath
  • 8 Linked Daggers
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

My bad, I didn't see the item prices for potions and stuff right there in the post I linked earlier. Thanks.

Okay then. Two lesser magic items of your choice and 8000 GP to spend however you like. Feel free to go outside those threads and take anything from 3.X or Pathfinder if you're in the mood for dumpster diving, otherwise just take two more lesser magic items.

Okay, time for another vote.

1) Vanilla Tome equipment stats, i.e. they kinda work like scaling feats.
2) Red Rob's equipment stats, i.e. a more focused enhancement, sometimes scaling.
3) Gestalt the two.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=833226

Should have adjusted to the new starting items, with 1000 GP left over for rope, lantern oil, etc. I might throw some potions of Ant Haul in if I'm carrying a lot of stuff.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

That looks mostly alright.

Your Acrobatics skill is still using Str where it should be using Dex, and still you have 3 more skill ranks to place. I'll assume your Climb skill represents your Athletics skill. Btw, minor thing but you get a +2 to Grab On Maneuvers from 5 ranks (2 PF ranks) in Climb.

You also get one free Handy Haversack and one free Bag of Holding. You could still go with some Ant Haul potions if you want.

ubernoob: As a favored class bonus (Pathfinder), you can choose an extra 1 HP or an extra skill point for every level in Soulborn you have.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.