[3.Tomefinder] Beer & Pretzels PbP Recruiting

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

[3.Tomefinder] Beer & Pretzels PbP Recruiting

Post by radthemad4 »

Very very inexperienced MC here thanks to player scheduling conflicts so I'm badly in need of practice. Figured I'd try jumping in the deep end and seeing what happens. Whether or not this game succeeds, I figure it'll be a valuable learning experience for me at least. I'd really appreciate honest feedback about whether or not you guys enjoy the game. I'm going to be making it up as I go along based on your characters. So, if you're interested, put up your characters and I'll put up a pitch once (if?) I get maybe threeish PCs.

I'm intending to run a very high balance game. You can use whatever 3.5, Pathfinder, Official Tome (i.e. original Tomes by Frank&K), Tome based homebrew (Tomebrew?) (IMOI here, dnd-wiki.org/dndwiki.com), or pretty much any homebrew on any site, as long as at least half of the other players are cool with it.

House rules:

Ability Score generation
Allocate a total of 56 points (average 14 per score) into these (no more than 18 in a stat):

Str/Con, Dex, Int, Wis

Your stats before racial modifiers will then be:

Str=(Str/Con), Dex=(Dex), Con=(Str/Con), Int=Int, Wis=Wis, Cha=18

From then on they'll be treated normally

If you want your character to be ridiculously attractive/hideous, put it in their description and it will be MTPd. Also, you're allowed to have a character with an Int of 8 who doesn't speak in broken English and drool. Same with Wis.
HD: Max at first level. Lokathor's house rule of rerolling each Hit Dice during every level up and keeping the higher score.

Skills:

Pathfinder base: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills

No synergies

No Fly. Replace Climb, Jump and Swim with Athletics for rank purposes.

Reduce the number of ranks required to unlock the benefits of Tome skill feats by 3

Putting ranks in any of the skills on the right on the table below gives you free knowledge ranks.
Arcane> Spellcraft / UMD
Dungeoneering> Spellcraft / Survival
Engineering> Appraise / Craft / Disable Device / Perception
Geography> Perception / Survival
History> Appraise / Linguistics
Local> Bluff / Diplomacy / Sense Motive
Nature> Handle Animal / Survival
Nobility> Appraise / Diplomacy / Sense Motive
Planes> Spellcraft / Survival
Religion> Spellcraft
Feats:
1 Every odd level. I recommend converting non Tome feat chains to scaling feats.

Other stuff:
You can use Pathfinder or homebrew races if you want. Buff non Pathfinder races to Pathfinder levels if you think it's necessary. Also, alternate racial traits, spells, archetypes (even on non Pathfinder classes and races as long you swap out equivalent features. If there are no equivalent features, you can convert an archetype into a scaling feat and take that instead). If you want to use a Monster race, I'd recommend converting it into a playable race, but I'll allow it if the other players are okay with it. You can take a Tome background and two Pathfinder traits, or three Pathfinder traits.

Favored class bonuses are in.

If you have any objections or can think of anything here being problematic, let me know. I'm open to changing any of the above.

Feel free to join in even if you don't think you can post regularly and/or are new to 3rd edition.

Current Characters: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118 ... mmary.html

Current Battlemap: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/u3m1 ... tled-1.swf
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Wait - 1 score for Str & Con? Spend it on only 4 ability scores with 56 point buy?

I might be doing my calculation wrong but that means

Str/con - 17
Dex - 17
Int - 17
Wis - 17
That's only 52 points spent so far and I can turn one of the above into a 18 and waste one point.

Unless you mean start at zero for the 4 scores and it's straight 1 point per ability point up to 18.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Cynic wrote:Unless you mean start at zero for the 4 scores and it's straight 1 point per ability point up to 18.
Yes, that is what I mean. You can still maximize 4 stats (including Cha) if 2 of them are Str and Con.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I vote level three, and I'd totally be up for this. Much easier to make Rocket Raccoon here than a PFS game.

Actually, hell, I've got a few character ideas:
  • Rocket Raccoon (tiny or small race Wizard with the "I'm a gunslinger too" acf)
  • Lord Meow, Gentlecat Sorcerer (awakened cat sorcerer, possibly with a humanoid attendant)
  • Tek of the Devildrinker Clan (Spellstitched Nosferatu Tengu/Kenku Warmage)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Glad to have you on board. Any of those is alright. I haven't picked a theme or tone yet, but it'll be one that works well enough for all PCs who join.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Sure. Welcome aboard.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I forgot to say I'd like to play as well. I was thinking virgil's Force Mage class.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Awesome. I'll keep thinking of a tone and setting, but I need to get some sleep right now. I'm thinking 'Ghostbusters' as a first arc, as Force Mage and Soulborn are already equipped to handle the incorporeal, and Prak's characters are versatile enough. Still, I'll wait and see if anyone else wants to join and if their characters give me more ideas.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Level 3 as Den pbp and the honor system is perfectly fine with me.
Lokathor
Duke

Re: [3.Tomefinder] Beer & Pretzels PbP Recruiting

Post by Lokathor »

radthemad4 wrote:HD: Max at first level. Lokathor's house rule of rerolling each Hit Dice during every level up and keeping the higher score.
I don't know if I can handle this level of fame. Note that we also later decided that "you always get at least +1", since rolling low on a level up and not getting anything at all is poop, even if you're only not getting anything because of a high roll last time.
Last edited by Lokathor on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

A play-by-post game here on TGD? Sure, I'm interested. If Tome classes are on the table, I'd probably go for a Monk. Haven't played one in a while, and it's pretty simple to put together. I think there's a scaling feat for shanking ghosts if the campaign is going spooky places, so I could probably keep in the same level of effectiveness as a force mage and soulborn.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I'll play a Jester. Grease as a Cantrip in a Pathfinder game? Yes, please!
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:28 am, edited 16 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh man, I'm kind of tempted to make Lord Meow a fear-based caster, like a Conduit of the Lower Planes with the Fear sphere, and his spell likes are all triggered by just meowing or hissing, so no one knows what's going on, just all the enemies apparently have horrible feliphobia.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I'd like to play.
vote for lvl 3 start (two Tome feats, whee!)

*Which source for Tomes is the most up-to-date. The DnD wiki? A PDF to download?

So with the stat distribution, this would be legal right?:

Str 18
Dex 18
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 18
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Avoraciopoctules, Grek and Ogrebattle, welcome on board.

Level 3, play by post on the Den. You can do your own rolling.
Lokathor wrote:I don't know if I can handle this level of fame. Note that we also later decided that "you always get at least +1", since rolling low on a level up and not getting anything at all is poop, even if you're only not getting anything because of a high roll last time.
You'll get used to it. That sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

ubernoob: Humans get a +2 to any stat in Pathfinder. Then again, a bonus tome feat is already a lot, so I'll allow the +2 to whatever if the others don't object to it. Also Acrobatics is one skill that covers Jump, Balance and Tumble. I'm also going to merge Climb, Jump and Swim into Athletics (Str) (use whatever you have more ranks in for Jump). Perception combines Spot, Listen and Search (though I like to say Spot as it has a better ring to it).

In pf, you don't start with 4X skills, but you get a +3 to all class skills. Cross class skill ranks don't cost extra.

That would make your skills: acrobatics, bluff, diplomacy, know(engineering), perception, umd, so you can pick 3 more if you max them all out.

Prak_Anima: I don't have any objections, go right on ahead if you want. Not sure about the stats for a sapient cat, maybe something like:

-4 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Wis
2 claws (1d2) + bite (1d3)

Tiny

Low-light vision, scent

Use Dex for Athletics

+4 on Athletics, Stealth (+ 8 in tall grass), +8 on Acrobatics

Ogrebattle: Perhaps starting with a Dungeoncrawl is a good idea. We'll work out how they got there later.

I need to go run some errands right now. I'll check on the thread later.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

OgreBattle wrote:Which source for Tomes is the most up-to-date. The DnD wiki? A PDF to download?
This is the most recent complete PDF, but it's from 2010. One is in progress here.

Most of the original Frank & K material hasn't been changed much as far as I know. Some classes like the Fire Mage, Thief Acrobat and Green Mage have more recent revisions here in the den: Fire Mage, Thief Acrobat, Green mage. Same with most of Koumei's classes. However, Frank's Bard was updated by TGCid on the wiki. I think you're probably going to have to go through both if you want to see everything. If you're unsure of whether or not there's an updated version of whatever you pick, post a link to it here, and if any of us knows of one we'll post a link.

The wiki has scaling feats, but I think I'll ask for a second opinion from the other players here before allowing some of those. Also, Maxus is updating the Tome Community Material repository. You can probably find some stuff there.
OgreBattle wrote:So with the stat distribution, this would be legal right?:

Str 18
Dex 18
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 18
Yes. It's legal.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I think I've got the skeleton of a character done. I heard something about undead, so I stayed clear of stunlock options. Wahid currently has a spear, but no other items.

Wahid
Male Neutral Human (Pathfinder) Tome Monk 3, Level 3, Init +0, HP 31/31, Speed 30 ft.
AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 19, CMD 22, Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +10, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus +3
ASTONISHED ALLIP PUNCH +10 (1d8+9, 20 / x2) (ignore hardness/DR, +4 Dodge to saves)
Longspear, Slam +8, +5 (1d8+7 , 1d8+4, 20 / x3, x2)
Armored In Life (+5 Armor, +4 Misc) (applies against Touch Attacks and Incorporeal Touch Attacks)
Abilities Str 20, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 18
Condition None
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

radthemad4 wrote:I don't have any objections, go right on ahead if you want. Not sure about the stats for a sapient cat, maybe something like:

-4 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Wis
2 claws (1d2) + bite (1d3)

Tiny

Low-light vision, scent

Use Dex for Athletics

+4 on Athletics, Stealth (+ 8 in tall grass), +8 on Acrobatics
That would probably work pretty well. I'm also tempted to do a Fey Cat, which would make the ability bonuses -4 str, +8 dex, -2 con, +2 int (Fey Animal makes animal int 12), +4 wis, +2 cha.

Of course it also gives, essentially, a sphere at basic access, and some other stuff.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

it really probably should be, since it also makes the animal a fey, gives +1 na, DR 5/cold iron, and SR=CR+11

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Avoraciopoctules: I'll take your sheet as a vote for Favored Class Bonuses (that is how you got the extra +1 to HP right?). I think you can still max out one more skill 4 (from Tome Monk), + 1 (from Human). Where'd you find the Blindsense and Scent fighting styles though? Acrobatics (Balance, Tumble and Jump) still uses Dex (marked as Str on your sheet). Athletics (New made up skill that combines Climb, Jump and Swim) (use whatever would be higher for Jump) uses Str. Or did you mean that to max both Acrobatics and Athletics?

ubernoob: Mechanus Armor (Tome) costs 10000 GP, which is beyond Pathfinder's Wealth by level of 3000 GP at level 3. Mechanus Gear (planar handbook) is 1750 GP, but doesn't have a Strength Boost and reduces your speed by 15 ft.

Prak_Anima: Yeah, treating it as level adjustment is probably a good idea if you make it Fey. If you're okay with being a level behind, you can go for the Fey template.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.