[3.Tomefinder] Beer & Pretzels PbP Recruiting

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

If you're looking up systems to add to your flash viewer, you might want to add some FOV. This page outlines a very effective FOV system that is, most importantly to us, symmetrical (all squares can either see each other or not, but vision is never accidentally one-way) and precise (no weirdness from floating point rounding errors, which is incidentally the source of asymmetry bugs).

Calculating Cover on top of just FOV would be a little complicated, but probably doable. Recall that Cover in DnD is basically based on the attacker picking a corner of their square (or any corner of any of their squares if they're Large or larger) and then running lines to all of the corners of their target (again, if the target is Large or larger this can also end up being more than 4 target corners); if any line passes through or along the border of a blocking square, the defender has cover (Bonus complication: creatures in the way give cover against ranged attacks but not melee attacks). So the "cover" vision would probably involve activating cover mode, then when you move around the mouse instead of it showing circles of distance, it'd highlight clear squares in green, covered squares in grey, and blocked squares in red (or whatever colors). The biggest snag is that normally a FOV system has either all of a square or none of a square as blocking/non-blocking, but DnD sometimes has walls/doors that block the boarders between squares while not affecting the squares themselves. Which isn't a huge problem because that's relatively rare, and we could just handle those situations "manually" when they come up.
Last edited by Lokathor on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Sorry, been kinda busy. Some school stuff combined with spending some extra time with a friend who's moving out of the country. I'll get back to this soon hopefully.

Coding related stuff:
I've been experimenting with supporting the circle grid thingy at multiple altitudes simultaneously (i.e. have it bleed over into platforms at different heights) and have had some success (it works as long as each platform in a specific altitude is completely flat). I think I can also do uniform slopes, and I'll try to come up with something for supporting unusual terrain. I've got some ideas floating around, but I don't know if they'll work until I try coding them. At some point, I think I'll want to switch from isometric to proper 3D (terrain anyway, with minis and other stuff being billboards), which should be okay if I minimize the number of polygons with quadtrees or something, but that's later on.

At the moment, the squares don't really exist as objects (it's just one drawing), and the minis on the screen are just pictures without any code representation. In flash, I basically place pictures on a 2D screen. However, I could add some code so that the stuff I place on the screen automatically adds itself to an array depending on their screen coordinates and the altitude of whatever surface they're on. Thanks for the link. I'll look into FOV soon.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I want to hit the ape from where I'm at, by the way.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Okay, added narrative text boxes for all visions of the past and condition icons. The text history wasn't working in fastswf.com for some reason, I have no idea why, but my Dropbox is working again so I'll stick to that from now on I think.

Camilla stabs the Ape for 8 damage.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/u3m1 ... tled-1.swf

Ogrebattle, you're up.

Initiative:
Tek: 24
Yoshida: 18
Voloc: 17
Lich: 13
Apes
Camilla: 11
Ghost 2: 9
Kinniku Kaiser: 8
Zombie 1: 7
Wahid: 5
Ghost 1: 3
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I... Don't know how to make that open directly. IE/Chrome/etc seem to think that I just need to save it and open it in a different program. You should setup an HTML page that displays the swf file (both in your drobox) and then put both in your Public folder and link to the HTML page, like how I did with the party summary thing.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Those status emblems are somewhat less than self-explanatory, as well...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Fixed. The html route wasn't working for some reason, but you should now be able to view it just by clicking it.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I can indeed. Though, in the current "frame" of action both apes are labeled "1"
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Whoops. Good catch. Fixed.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Kinniku Kaiser charges at the ape lifting Tek [-3 -6] to send it flying with an awesome blow... so what happens if I knock someone holding someone into the air?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Um, can we get that answered before you commit to that action? Because I imagine there's at least a chance that the low hp wizard of the party will also catch fire and go flying.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I would guess that the holder would make a grapple check or strength check or reflex save to maintain the hold. probably against a very easy DC. if you were dropped, itd probably be only 1d6 damage (like falling off a horse).
Last edited by Lokathor on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

For now, I'll go with the lifted creature gets to make a free grapple or escape artist check with a +4 bonus to break free of the grip (Tek succeeds with a natural 20) if the launched creature isn't knocked prone (it wasn't) in which case it would have been an auto drop. I'll post this on the Awesome Blow thread in IMOI to see how Wiseman feels about it.

Kinniku Kaiser charges the Ape, dodging the claw it sent his way (AoO from large area) and then sends it flying with 9 damage (1 on 1d10 + 7 STR + 1 magical fist bonus). The Ape is launched 10 feet but manages to avoid falling prone (made reflex save) and catching fire (made reflex save). It loses its grip on Tek, who lands on his feet.

Avoraciopoctules, you're up.

Initiative:
Apes
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Didn't see your posts. If you think this should have resolved differently, feel free to chime in. Lokathor's suggestion of treating it like falling off a horse makes sense. Rolled against DC 15 and Tek gets... another 20... Okay, I've been using the WOTC online dice roller. If you guys recommend a different one, I wouldn't mind using that instead.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

"Ah ha ha! Do you cower before Wahid, bag of bones? A wise decision, for I possess magic that puts your lichcraft to shame. I CAST FIST!"

Wahid moves to flank the nearest ape before striking, provoking attacks of opportunity if necessary. He maintains his current fighting style.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Wahid runs past the Ape's swipe, and lands a heavy blow on the ape (17 = 8 (1d8) + 7 (STR) + 2(1d6 acid). He spots the lich once more.

Also, Kinniku Kaiser does 3 extra damage (total 12) as I forgot to add his flaming 1d6 bonus.

Ghost 1 resurfaces and attempts to touch Yoshida, but he moves out of the way.

With that, our SECOND TURN IS COMPLETE!!!

Prak, you're up.

Initiative:
Apes
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Tek will move to square -3,-3 (moving diagonally for three squares, then straight two), and fire off a double magic missile at the resurfaced ghost for 6 force missiles each dealing 1d6+1

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I think the WOTC dice roller wants to get in your pants.

Roll(6d6)+6:
6,6,5,4,3,3,+6
Total:33

The ghost evaporates.

Lokathor's turn.

Initiative:
Apes
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Is there an attack of opportunity for Tek's movement?

Yoshida's Turn: Green Executioner and White Blinding Blow are rolled. Yoshida swings a Green Executioner attack at Ape 1 (+10 to hit, including flanking), for 1d10+4 damage. If any damage results, Ape 1 has to make a DC 15 Fort save [Death Effect], or Die instantly.
Last edited by Lokathor on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

The ape last used an AoO on Ogrebattle's turn. Are AoOs reusable at the start of the next round, or one round after their last usage (i.e. the Ape would be able to use them again on Ogrebattle's turn in this case)?

In any case, Prak, you have the option of not moving, 5 foot stepping, or moving and risking the attack.

The Ape makes the save and takes 12 damage. It's now at 0HP and is staggered.

Whipstitch, your turn
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Oh, well you're correct then.

AoOs are "You can make up to X between each turn of yours", where (under Tome rules) X is equal to the number of BAB attacks you can make. Even if you don't make iterative attacks because you've got natural weapons, you still get 1-4 AoOs based on BAB. So since the Apes have BAB 3 then they've only got 1 AoO per round. I guess there's no specific rule on when they refresh, but I've always played it that they refresh at the start of your turn.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I did in fact move.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Yeah, alright. Refresh on start of turn sounds reasonable and I'm cool with that. No AoOs were provoked as the Ape performed the AoO after its turn and hasn't had a turn yet. Hmm, so combat maneuvers are better performed after using up a foe's AoOs (though I guess you could choose not to take them and reserve them for emergencies). Interesting...

Whipstitch, your turn.

Initiative:
Apes
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Sorry, but I'm going to bow out of the game--I've got too much on my plate due to family stuff.
bears fall, everyone dies
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

No worries. I'm in a similar boat myself (hence the late response). If you get time later on and feel like rejoining, feel free to do so.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I'll get back to this as soon as I can (hopefully a day or two).

On the bright side, I found a repository of all the sprites from Age of Empires 2. I experimented a bit with them, and they look pretty good as long as you don't zoom into the units too closely. This'll also come in handy for towns and cities later. I think I'll put the grid options on the right click menu. I'm also planning to add a transparency adjuster to the right click menu so you guy's will be able to see through certain walls, floors and objects.

If you guys know about any other 2D games whose sprites have been extracted and posted online, or some software that lets you do that yourself, let me know.

Hope to get back to this soon.