[Kickstarter] Petals and Thorns

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Chamomile
Prince

[Kickstarter] Petals and Thorns

Post by Chamomile »

I am Kickstarting a thing. Specifically, I am Kickstarting an adventure for levels 3-5 in which you must defend a town from an assortment of nasties on a giant wilderness map with several attached dungeons while several factions bicker over who gets to have their way over various inflection points that crop up along the way.

Something that this community in particular will quickly notice is that this is a 5e adventure, which brings the immediate question of why you would ever want to buy a 5e adventure. Most GMs don't seem to actually run the adventures they buy, though, so I figure most of my sales from this forum are going to come from people who don't plan to ever actually run it, just read it as a curiosity and maybe cannibalize a few of its concepts for games run in other systems. The adventure is designed to work with 5e's limitations (in some cases by finishing the game like I'm a modder tweaking a Bethesda release), and I figure some people might find that entertaining for the same reason that Five Nights at Freddy's was really popular as a streaming game.

It's also worth noting that Kickstarter gives visibility to projects based on number of backers, not total money raised, so $1 backers are a lot more helpful than you might expect. If you want to support my efforts to make a living on creative projects but don't want to actually buy the product, a $1 pledge will hit way above its weight level in terms of expressing support (regarding the viability of making a living on creative work by going through TTRPGs, I certainly didn't expect TTRPGs to be the most successful wing of my multi-pronged efforts to get the internet to pay me for making stuff up, but here we are).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

G'luck, C.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Funded in under a day! Congrats Cham.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The first day raised over $500, which was very encouraging. The second day looks like it's gonna struggle to raise $50, which is less encouraging. Still, I've at least got enough to make the minimum viable product.

EDIT: And then someone dropped a link on GitP and I got another like $300. So that's the first and second days that have gone much better than expected. Probably things are gonna slow down on day three, but I said that about day two, so hey, who knows.
Last edited by Chamomile on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Congrats on going way past your goal
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

"I am a professional GM running a thriving business on Roll20, where my standard rate is $15 per player, per session. At $100 for an expected twelve session play through of Petals and Thorns, backers at this level not only get a chance to play the game as run by its creator, but do so at a discount of over 40%. The Medici-grade $400 backers get an even better deal, not only being able to reserve an entire playthrough for your own gaming group, but getting an even bigger discount on every player past the fourth, to say nothing of having almost single-handedly hit the original funding target."

Wait, I want to hear more about this.

How many professional DM's are there out there? Is this in an industry? Side hustle or full time for many people?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

There are at least a half-dozen-ish others on Roll20. I'm not sure how successful they are, but they charge pretty similar rates. People asking for $30/session have pretty much all withered away. For me, it's a side hustle, but a solid enough one that it could provide a foundation for becoming a full-time professional creative if I can get some other revenue streams going. This adventure I'm Kickstarting will hopefully be the start of one of those revenue streams.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Huh, interesting. Thanks for answering.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Oh, cool! Sure, I’ll back this. Have you plugged it on Something Awful yet?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Nope. I don't have an account there. They still require payment to register, right? Feel free to drop a link there if you're part of that community, though.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showt ... t488743972

There ya go. I hope it gets you some more pledges! Last I checked the public paywall was down, so hopefully you’ll at least be able to SEE the thread.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

2959 bucks and going up, update those stretch goals!

Getting money for doing what you like is the best.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.