Prak's Fantasy Art (and stuff)

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Prak's Fantasy Art (and stuff)

Post by Prak »

Others have made threads to share their art, so I figured I'd do the same, since I had old sketchbooks out to find my rokugon dragons pic.
I'm basically just uploading random fantasy stuff I've drawn, which is pretty much everything I've drawn, to be honest, but I'm not uploading everything, not even likely going to post everything that's on my DevArt page. So if you want to see other stuff I've done, including my Stage Makeup class work, go here.

Rokugon Dragons
Nukuru, Half-Pan Lung Necromancer (Mahootsukai no Shi)
"Lowly dead, I am Nukeru, the Defiler, I command you to rise and serve me"
Norse Harpy
Nezumi Samurai
Nasturtium
The character I played in Koumei's Disgaia campaign, probably much to her chagrin. She was an Alraune Pirate Princess. And she was awesome.
Muibzer, Aberrant Blooded Goblin Warlock/Spider Sworn
Meme
A Mutants and Masterminds character I created once. I can't recall if I ever got a chance to play it, but I liked the design. An evil AI who made a body for itself, but could jump back into computer networks and such.
Jivebot
One I'm posting for Shrapnel. Basically, he's a Beast Wars era cybertronian who works as a pimp and has a peacock as his alt form. If I recall, the idea just sprang fully formed into my mind, and it was so glorious, I had to draw it.
Ice Necromental
One of these days, I want to play a Cold Necromental, because the image of a skeleton encased in animated ice is just awesome to me.
Hobbes, Jack whose class I forget
Cham's character from Koumei's Disgaia game.
Hex 2.0
In Discworld, the wizards academy Unseen University has a magitech computer/ai named Hex. It's a huge extended joke and plot device all in one, because it's RAM is an actual ram skull, it's calculations are performed by ants crawling around inside, as of Hogfather, if it doesn't have the Teddy that Death!Hogfather gave it, it refuses to work, etc. I was sitting in a starbucks and started sketching Hex as an android, and liked the result.
Baragos, Wood Elf Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker/Berserk
My favourite D&D character. Ignore the awkward left hand in the first pic. The sword is totally as large as I draw it, though, he looted it from an Ogre Mage for whom it was actually too big. The horns and red coat come from a minotaur he killed--the party came to a door, he listened, cracked it open to find a minotaur and a bunch of goblins, and chucked in a bundle of alchemist's fire and oil pints. The minotaur came staggering out pissed as all hell amidst the dying burnt goblins, and ignored the entire party to charge Baragos, pinning him to the dungeon wall. So Baragos took his gigantic sword and hacked through the conveniently placed neck.
Storm Crow
A crow that got ahold of Mjolnir. My answer to Thor Frog
Surilis
A tiefling true demon made using stuff from Tome of Fiends who abuses limb counts.
Half Red/Black Dragon Drow Warlock
It's perfectly legal for a character to have the half dragon template twice. No one really knows how the fuck that works, but whatever. At least she's not a troll.
Ratfolk Assassin
Strictly he's a member of that rat people race from Scarred Lands, I think they were called Slitheren... ok, checking, yes, they were, but they were also called Ratmen. The tear drop things are glass balls filled with alc. fire, poison, that short of thing, launched from the crossbow thing he's holding.
Goblin Hell Rider and Warg
Goes with my Hell Rider PrC.
Vrockling of Fire and Ice
Another Tome of Fiends creation, a tiefling with Vrock traits and ice and fire themed spell likes.
Stage Makeup stuff
Figured I'd show a couple of my stage makeup things that are on topic:

Eye of Gruumsh
Overall, it's shitty, and not well blended enough in any sense of the word. But I really like that I pulled off an empty eye socket with beginning techniques.
Lich
One of our final four makeups required a nose prosthetic to give us experience in sculpting and casting. So I did a skeletal nose for a lich makeup. People loved it, with a couple people doing skeletal noses of their own after seeing mine. I particularly liked the ad hoc arcane runes:
Cenobite
I think I got the idea from our "trauma day."
Last edited by Prak on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Re: Prak's Fantasy Art

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak_Anima wrote:Jivebot
One I'm posting for Shrapnel. Basically, he's a Beast Wars era cybertronian who works as a pimp and has a peacock as his alt form. If I recall, the idea just sprang fully formed into my mind, and it was so glorious, I had to draw it.
I totally dig it. :thumb:
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Awesome effect with the screws on the cenobite costume
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Heh, thank you. That was a fun makeup to do.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The character I'm playing in Rad's Tomefinder game, Tek the vampire tengu warmage
I'm kind of slowly teaching myself to make my art more polished and less sketchy. I wish I could have started with a better quality picture when colouring, but my scanner apparently wants me to go Office Space on it, because it's stopped working at all. So I had to take a photo with my phone.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Couple of things, this post.

First, drawings I've done of the characters in my Greyhawk game:

Stormblade, Half Giant Soulknife
Hrethric, Dwarf Ranger

Next:
COMMISSIONS
So, I haven’t been able to pay my cell phone bill for a while, and T Mobile is trying to collect. I have literally no money. I mean… I've got like $3 they could have from my pocket… I guess….

But, yeah, I need to raise some funds so I can get out from under this before it becomes an even huger debt. I seriously need ~$600 (two months of bill, plus late fees, device balance and termination fee).
So, since I’ve been drawing more lately, I figured it could be worthwhile to do some commissions? Maybe?

Prices I'm thinking, for a single character piece:
$15 for a pencils sketch
$20 for an inked line drawing
$25 for flat colour
$30 for colour and shaded
+$5 per extra character
+$5 for an actiony scene
$20 Tattoo Designs
ALSO: $5 small sketchs! I will pull out an index card or something, and sketch whatever you want, $5.
I’ll even print up the coloured works on nice glossy photo paper for you., and mail them out, if you want (shipping being extra).
If you’re not looking or able to commission, maybe mention it if you know someone who is?
Seriously, anything you want, I’ll draw it (well, a few caveats, but I mean, I’ll do pretty out there or explicit stuff. Just no scatological/etc. Whatever)

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

How would you accept payments? Paypal? Check? Gold-pressed latinum?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Paypal works. If you want to commission something, PM me, and we'll sort it out, and I'll give you my paypal account info.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Thaddeus Tightfist
M Goblin Rogue
Picture Tyler Durden if Brad pit was 4'6", green and had ears longer than his head is tall. Thaddeus Tightfist is a seventh level rogue that Paizo named as the proprietor of The Checkered Circle, an underground fighting ring in The Free City of their Age of Worms Adventure Path. Age of Worms totally takes place in Greyhawk, they just don't call it such. There are a lot of matching place names, though. So I dropped the Checkered Circle into my game.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Arturus "Mimsy" Yuelimb
M Wood Elf Rng2/Brd3
Arturus is the most trying character in my game, as his player is of the bullshitty flightly type which rubs against my own personality, and seems to be stubbornly opposed to learning how to make a good character, and too dedicated to trying to replicate an early character in a completely different game.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Also, I coloured Thaddeus, since I already had my tablet out.
I'm kind of liking the colouring style I'm developing with FireAlpaca and a tablet...

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

That looks pretty cool. However, I think the nipple should be a bit less circular as he isn't facing straight ahead.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hm, good point.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

My arts has forsaken me of late. Or I realized I wasn't really very good. Whatever.

But I've been writing more. I post little bits of stuff on a wordpress blog

A tumblr post inspired me to write a little... not really a story, more like a vignette. It's the second fiction vignette I've been directly inspired to write by stuff on tumblr. Thought I'd post it here where people might be interested-

Inspiration- "Are gods really gods if no one believes in them anymore?"
(since it's hard to read with her theme, here's her bit that inspired mine)
Marissa Dakin wrote:Zeus takes walks in the rain and tries to talk up joggers in central park. When they bolt, or only return his advances with polite smiles that look like fence posts too high for even him to jump, he sighs. He tells them he is a god, and his words echo back to him, accompanied by laughter. No one believes him
He picks up his wife, who might be his sister in this time, in a beat up car with a beautiful flame job, Hera is a marriage counselor with peacock feather bags under her eyes, her advice falls on her own deaf ears as her jealous eyes roam over every girl they pass, and she is right to. She knows this. She has always known.
Poseidon’s hands are rough and calloused, he raises cargo too heavy for a man his age, the young ones say. He laughs his fisherman’s laugh, all depths and riptide, because no one should be his age. He reminds himself he is one of the lucky ones, he gets to be around what he loves. He may not have his dominion any more, but salt water and sun still weather his face.
Hades stalks the streets at night, women cross the street to avoid him, and he smiles with his needle-teeth, they are right to. This winter he is without a bride, and he still wants to usher souls into the afterlife, the pistol hangs heavy in his pocket, his tongue glints gold, the coin to pay his Charon, his most loyal employee. He brings knives to gunfights and guns to fistfights, he stands with his arms out like their new God, these fickle humans, he welcomes the bullets. He dares them to kill him. They try.
Ares and Athena spit curses laced with whiskey from across dive bar floors, they are moving human pawns across a chessboard. They were strategists before they were gangsters, but it doesn’t matter now.
Apollo sings in a nightclub, his crooning voice from a forgotten time. He has his sister’s blood under his fingernails, from stitching up wound after wound, Artemis forgets she is not invincible anymore. He sings about the moon and wonders where she is, picking a fight with some would-be rapist, maybe it’s Zeus. It’s probably Zeus. Again.
Dionysus drinks away their shared pain, dealing LSD in dark alleyways, he whispers sweet promises and his followers believe him, he was human once and he can be again, like wine, he knew nothing so sweet could have lasted forever. Icarus sidles up to his side, asking if he’s got anything that can make you feel like you can fly. In this life, he is a junkie, and Daedalus watches with ancient, sad eyes. Icarus is melting and Dionysus is letting him.
Hestia sits by the hearth and waits for her family to come home. And she listens while they all curse their immortality. She shakes her head slow and clicks her tongue, I know, my darlings, I know.
Are gods really gods if no one believes in them anymore?
Does it matter?
And of course, part of me felt the need to write a different version of Hades, because I'm driven to defend death gods who were seldom evil, more just feared. So I wrote this-
me wrote:Hades steps into the small washup area in the basement of the coroner’s office and sighs.

It’s winter, his wife is away, visiting her mother down south. No one understands arranged marriages anymore, but he always tried to treat her well, and there was love that blossomed there. But her mother feared her lost to his realm forever. So in the winter, she flew south to her mother, and he stayed north, where his job was.

An involuntary laugh, dry like a crypt, escaped his throat in a rasp. If only Demeter had known what it would come to.

Hades washed his hands, toweled them off, wiped the remaining moisture on his scrubs, and sat down, flicking on the small radio in what passed for an office.

A song came on and he instantly recognized the voice. A tear came to his gold-flecked eye as he retrieved a pomegranate from his lunch bag. Orpheus was the only who’d done truly well. Even after a car crash that nearly crushed him, he’d moved onto a modest success as a singer. Even Apollo had to envy as Orpheus’ tracks sold in small numbers but wide distribution. Hermes had helped build the website.

“It’s all information,” the messenger had said, “the more things change, the more they stay the same,” Hades mouthed as Hermes’ voice echoed in his head.

He slipped a pomegranate seed between his lips, the taste bringing vivid memories of Persephone. It was always hard to truly remember her in the winter. Things were different now, though. There’s nothing quite preventing him from visiting Demeter with her, they’re just immortal, not bound by divine law anymore. He could go.

If he was wanted. If his mother in law didn’t do as much as she could to keep him from her daughter’s mind in the winter.

He was needed there, in his office, anyway.

He may no longer rule the underworld, but he still has his duty to the dead. He no longer oversaw an eternal lake of souls, or the Elysium Fields—now he watched a dimly lit chamber of little doors, each holding or waiting to hold a body to be examined. He performed no small number of the examinations himself, but mostly he was there to watch over them, and receive any bodies brought in during the night.

Kharon had long ago traded his boat for a van. Instead of ferrying the dead to the underworld, he now couriered corpses to the morgue. He had another job as a hearse driver too—thank someone for the immortal lack of sleep-need.

Hades hated the night shift. He never took glee in his role, it was a duty, and one his brother was too vain to step up to. But now he had to watch as Kharon brought in women beaten to death by their pimps or husbands or rapists, children caught in crossfires, boys not quite past childhood killed on one side or another in those crossfires… no one seemed to die peacefully in the night, or those who did seemed to always wait till morning. Family discover them in their beds, in chairs in front of TVs, or even witnessed them just- fall, and not move again, and they called the coroner and arranged for the body to be picked up in the morning. Only victims were brought in at night, after the police had come and canvassed and said it could be moved.

Sometimes, when it was a slow night, Kharon would sit with Hades on his break, or when he had no work to do. They would talk, play old games long forgotten by mortals and undiscovered by archaeologists, reminisce. Kharon had no wife in the before time, and it wasn’t easy for him to date mortals now—the gods may not be gods anymore, but he still carries the unnerving presence of death.

Sometimes he would see Hecate or Melinoe as he picked up a body. Kharon would smile, and then immediately wonder if he should be smiling. Melinoe always quickly turned away and left, Hecate would acknowledge him, but give no indication of whether the smile was appreciated or not.

Hades would try to advise his friend as best he could, but then- he married Persephone when courtship was asking the father for the woman’s hand and nothing else, so there was only so much help Hades could be.

In the winter, Hades would vacillate wildly between warmly welcoming Kharon in on these nights, and quietly saying he needed to be alone.

On those nights he would sit, and listen to the radio play Orpheus, and eat pomegranate seeds—and be glad that only the dead knew the silver tone of his tears.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So I decided to use the OotS minis I got as part of the kickstarter for my campaign I'm running. The fact that I'm using roll20 for all mapping means that, while it's slightly more work to do so, it also means I don't need to use actual paper and ink.

However, Burlew's nebulous illness has kept him from finishing out the seasons. Meaning that I only have tokens for half the elementals I need, and pretty much everything else is a "this'll do" with a palette swap.

However, I also started just making some fucking tokens in roughly the same style. Thought people here might be vaguely interested, so here are the Air and Earth Elemental, and Smoke and Ice Paraelementals:
(ignore the shitty artifacts around the outline, I'm learning Inkscape and didn't make the background transparent, so I had to use photoshop for that. It of course didn't get everything)

Air Elemental
I didn't size the canvas down for the first one either, because I'm dumb and used to adobe, so Air's huge
Earth Elemental

Ice Paraelemental

Smoke Paraelemental

Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

These are all nice pieces, and several of them verge into excellence. There are several there that, with coloring, would be quite suitable for incorporation into professional gaming products.

I do think you need a bit more practice doing faces. But faces are difficult at the best of times.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

And I'm pretty out of practice since leaving high school where I drew for most of six hours because the teachers were mostly boring and busy work doesn't keep me busy long.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Random thing I drew. I think I first drew it when Peridot started making the drill, colored it just now, and it seems even more relevant now that Peridot's drill machine has pierced the heavens Earth's core.

ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

Looks good! It's cool seeing some of your progression here. What did you draw that with? I'd be interested in seeing it with less uniform line weight.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I drew it with pencil. That image is from opening a photo of it in Photoshop and using the pen tool to ink it with paths (draw path, right click, stroke path, delete path, make new path). Then I colored it.

I know I need to vary my line weights, but I'm shit at it.

ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

Do you ever ink with a pen or brush? Most of my interest in drawing has been focused on cartooning so I'm a big fan of bristol board, blue pencil, and micron pens. I know I should take the time to learn to ink with a brush but I tend to slack off and use Sakura pigma brush pens. They are a lot of fun but tend to wear out. Do you use a mechanical pencil when you draw? A regular pencil or a graphite marker will probably lead to varying line weights naturally as you change pressure and angle.

When I taught a cartooning afterschool class I took the kids down to the copier, made xeroxes of their drawings at 50% tone or so and had them practice inking the same picture. It helped that they didn't have to worry about ruining their original piece. On the digital side of the coin, when I was briefly an art-monkey we would ink and color in Illustrator and use the pen tool. We'd basically make shapes for each segment of line. It was pretty tedious, but it looked OK in the end.