Farcast "review"

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Things pick up a bit once you get into the 100s, I was really feeling my way the first few months.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Coming in to say this thread is pure gold. Im planning a EP campaign and it cuts me time to go straight to the best materials in the Farcast blog.

Keep it coming, fectin. :thumb:

(and congrats Ancient, for the awesomely evocative stuff! )
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

The Exsurgent virus is one of the big setting conceits. It's a software-nano-memetic-biological virus - get infected by any of those vectors and you start spreading it through all of them. IIRC it's either TITAN or alien in origin, but I don't think there were any clear official answers about it.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

silva wrote: (and congrats Ancient, for the awesomely evocative stuff! )
Danke.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

If I do a 2015 yearblog, I think I need to collect it in a more digestible format.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

No, no, I didn't even finish reviewing the Doctor Who game (granted, for different reasons); it's more that my time that's useful for reviews is sharply limited.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Fair enow. I've just got the 2015 thing on my brain. I kinda want to do it, I'm on my third revision of an outline for the thing - it would be Call of Cthulhu based - but I don't know if I'm going to do it. Because I want to do it better than Farcast, y'know? And I don't know if I could pull it off, or if it'll be worth it even to try.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

If fectin's not going to finish it, anyone else interested?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

fbmf? Anybody?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Hokay.
The lawn is mown, the latest batch of wood is stained, and I have a BLTini. it's time for 085: The Pearlworks

I'm a little torn on this one. It's good; it's evocative; there's absolutely no reason for a group to care about it.
Roughly, there are these organisms living in an undersea river that slowly build a mineral sphere and live around the surface. The organisms are beautiful and pearlescent, and live only in one river. That's all really cool, but so what? Worse, the first seed just uses them as an especially uninteresting Chrono-Crossed Macguffin.
However, the second seed goes pretty far towards redeeming it: $MEGACORP has found that the pearls have started building spheres with platinum, and (obviously) started bulk harvesting them. $SOMEGUY would really like the megacorp to not kill off this species, and proposes using them to trace back to the actual platinum lode. "Blow it out your ass," suggests the megacorp. So now, Some Guy wants to raise capital, trace the lode, and mine it out, thereby earning $TEXAS, saving the pearls, and sticking it to the man right in the back of a volkswagen. That's fantastic. It's expansive, easy to hook into, easy to feel good about, and provides ongoing motivation for escapades.
Without that hook, B; with it, A-.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Pearlworks was the beginning of a theme week built around aquatic Eclipse Phase settings.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Oh, neat. That wasn't obvious to me, but in a Europa-specific campaign I'd value Pearlworks more highly.

086 First Spawning
Europan festival based around a carefully coordinated mass birth of biomorphs tailored to the Europan environment. Neat backdrop, but not independently compelling. I think this could have been a fantastic adventure backdrop, and could easily be expanded to a very compelling campaign sourcebook, but in isolation I am seized by a profound apathy. A+ potential, C+ for this specific realization (consistent with awesome, but doesn't deliver).
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

087: Tam Uisge
Neat, but bland. It's a guy adapted for ocean living. He might be a guide for the PCs. It's possible that "futura morph" conveys info I am not privy to and makes this neater. Otherwise, it's most interesting for being evocative of a short story I read once that made me care about cat people.

Overall: B. Bumped up for having a clever hook where instead of finding Tam when he disappears, you need to find the crazy stalker who went looking for him first.

Edit: from the comments, the name is a clever Irish pun. "Uisge" sounds like whiskey, and Tam is a common name, so I'm guessing 'man of the water'? Either way, brownie points for that.
Last edited by fectin on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Ancient History wrote:anyone else interested?
I'll take 50 or so closer to the end. I very much did enjoy reading the daily entries, and can scarcely appreciate the effort involved in their production.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

088: Sharktooth
It's a clever and evocative shiv. Easy to conceal.

Solid B.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Ancient History wrote:fbmf? Anybody?
I plan on doing more. I've just been very busy lately with summer travel and preparing upcoming child's nursery.

Sorry for the delay, AH.

Game On,
fbmf
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

089: The High Pools
It's a sauna-as-Randian-public-work. Could definitely use an actual layout to make this an easier drop-in. This would be good as part of a setting book.
I like that it calls out the operators, and mentions their priorities.

Overall, B
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

090: Otta Tvash
Blind dino-penguin as flying explorer. She certainly has a lot going on, but most of it seems more suited to 'rich inner life' than 'interesting NPC.'
Notes suggest using her to get players thinking about their extra sense, but I'm not sure how that would work.

I assume she's well built and easy to drop in though, so B-.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

091: Seanav
It's a bio- inertial nav sensor. Justified as an excuse to keep play going.
That requires a certain amount of foresight though, so I'm not 100% confident.
Mostly mechanical, so hard for me to evaluate, but looks like a B+.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

092: Nagog Hill
"[A] bizarre pseudo-fractal recombinatorial extrapolation of Schloss Neuschwanstein..." Nice.
It's a writhing squid of a building on a hill, filling a crater. Inside, it's a comic-con of competing cosplay ideas, writ large.
Great and plausible excuse for genre bending, and could be dropped in fairly easily.
Overall, A-, because there were no specifics, just an overall concept. Would be interested to see this expanded to a mini-setting though.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

093: Skeeters
Mosquitos as drones. Good, solidly written, and some implications explored. Easy to use, but no compelling reason to do so.
Overall, B.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

094: Ulf Vargsnev
Garbageman with a good backstory. Useful as a contact, or as an excuse to smuggle in somewhere, and potentially has prices more interesting than just cash or Macguffins.
Somewhat heavy on the violins though. A-.
Last edited by fectin on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Schloss Neuschwanstein is the Bavarian castle that served as a model for Disney's castle.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I know.
:pleased:
Last edited by fectin on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

095: Orcamorphs
I'm not sure what to think about these guys. They're large critters that are super-smart, and adapted to swim like whales. They're usually quadrupeds, and look funny. Apparently, a huge minority of them are autistic.
It's evocative, even if I can't picture it, but was this what people were clamoring for? (Again, no basis for judging balance)
Overall B