Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #25: Beneath Nightmare Castle

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which book should I run first?

#3 The Forest of Doom
No votes
#25 Beneath Nightmare Castle
100%

Total votes: 3

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #25: Beneath Nightmare Castle

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Copied from a post of mine in Shrapnel's Transformers LP:
Once I finish a couple of final papers I might start up another FF LP. Kind of hard to top Spectral Stalkers, but I do have Peter Darvill-Evans' first FF book: Beneath Nightmare Castle. I also have Ian Livingstone's first solo book, The Forest of Doom, which was the other book I put up votes for (but it repeatedly lost.) Details for both are spoilered below:

Fighting Fantasy #3: The Forest of Doom
The Forest of Doom wrote:Only the foolhardy would risk an encounter with the unknown perils that lurk in the murky depths of Darkwood Forest. Yet there is no alternative, for your quest is a desperate race against time to find the missing pieces of the legendary Hammer of Stonebridge — fashioned by Dwarfs to protect the villagers of Stonebridge against their ancient doom.
Being Ian Livingstone's first solo book, this is a totally linear fetch quest set in an unusual location. In this case, it's a dungeon crawl in a forest, as opposed to a city (or dungeon.) Unlike Livingstone's later (or earlier) works, if you miss one (or more) of the required plot devices you can New Game+ with all your gear, loot, etc. to try and find the other(s). The New Game + rules are not terribly clear.
Fighting Fantasy #25: Beneath Nightmare Castle
Beneath Nightmare Castle wrote:Creatures from your worst nightmares lie beneath Neuberg Keep!

In this book, you find yourself in Neuburg, once a pleasant town in Khul, but now home to the vile monsters begotten of warped sorcery. An age-old horror has been re-awoken deep beneath the Keep, and it is up to you to face it and free the town and your friend, Baron Tholdur, from evil enchantment. But beware! Deep underground lie hideous traps and terrors, waiting to ensnare you! Will you succeed? Only if you are the resourceful hero you claim to be ...
This is basically Lovecraft meets Conan. There's a Willpower mechanic (a cross between Will Saves and Sanity Points), some genuinely scary moments, and shitloads of really disturbing and drawn out deaths (which are kind of half the fun of it.) There are also a plethora of interesting potential opponents (not all of which are evil), my favorite being a gang of starving children.
Well, those aforementioned papers are finished. So, which will we go with first, Denners?

EDIT: Beneath Nightmare Castle wins 3-0, so we go with that. Next post will be the beginning of the book.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

BENEATH NIGHTMARE CASTLE
You are a travel-weary hero, returning to the town of Neuburg in Khul to visit your old friend Baron Tholdur, when a moment of carelessness lands you in captivity. Will you escape? And even if you do, what will you find in Neuburg? For things have changed there; all is not as it seems, and beneath the Keep lie hideous horrors, which you must face if you are to free the town from the ghastly hand of grim sorcery, and rid it once and for all from the resurrected terror of the past.

Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are a computer is all you need to embark on this thrilling adventure, which is complete with its elaborate combat system and a score-sheet to record your gains and losses.

Many dangers lie ahead and your success is by no means certain. YOU decide which routes to follow, which dangers to risk and which monsters to fight!
YOUR CHARACTER
You are a warrior, a skilled and hardy adventurer. Your last escapade was less than successful, and you face your adventure with little money and no food. Your abilities, however, are as noteworthy as ever; you will use dice to determine your exact attributes.[references to the book's character sheet cut]

Skill, Stamina, Luck, and Willpower

Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. This is your SKILL score.

Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result. This is your STAMINA score.

Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. This is your LUCK score.

Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. This is your WILLPOWER score.

These are your Initial scores, and you must keep a permanent record of them. Any of your scores may change during your adventure, but they will exceed their except on very rare occasions, when you will be instructed on a particular Initial amounts only very rarely. You must keep a record of all changes to your scores—so write small or use a rubber.

Your SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. Your STAMINA is your health, fitness, and ability to survive wounds and physical hardship. Your LUCK score shows how lucky you are. WILLPOWER is a measure of your mental stability and determination; the higher it is, the more you can cope with pain, despair and unpleasant surprises.
(Rolled SKILL 11, STAMINA 18, LUCK 9, and WILLPOWER 10.)
COMBAT
During your adventure you will meet other people and creatures. Some of them will attack you; others you will decide to fight. The procedure for resolving battles is described below.
SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face. Write these numbers in the first vacant Monster Encounter Box on the Adventure Sheet. Make a note also of any special abilities or instructions that are unique to this particular opponent. The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: go to step 4. If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: go to step 5. If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows—start a new Combat Round from step 1.
4. Deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. You may be able to deduct extra points if you use your LUCK (see below) or if you have a special weapon. Go to step 6.
5. Deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA. You may use your LUCK to reduce the seriousness of this loss (see below.)
6. Make sure you have recorded on the Adventure Sheet all adjustments to the STAMINA and LUCK scores of either yourself or your opponent.
7. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

You may from time to time be given the opportunity to escape from your opponent. If you decide to do this, the battle ends—but the enemy automatically wounds you once as you turn your back and flee. Note that you may use LUCK to minimize this wound, as for any other (see below.)

Often you will have to fight more than one opponent at a time. Sometimes you will treat them as a single opponent; at others, you will be able to fight them one at a time; and sometimes all of them will be able to attack you, while you defend yourself and may attack only one of them. Specific instructions will be given whenever you meet more than one opponent.

Using Luck in Combat
You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck: roll two dice. If the total rolled is equal to or less than your LUCK score, you have been Lucky. If the total is higher than your LUCK score, you are Unlucky. (Whatever your result, you must deduct 1 point from your current LUCK score.) If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. (Remember to deduct 1 point from your LUCK whatever the result.) If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.
HINTS ON PLAY
Skill
Your SKILL will not change much during your adventure, and you should change it only if given specific instructions in the text. As SKILL is a measure of combat prowess, it can be reduced by losing your weapon or by the effects of poison, for instance; acquiring a magical weapon could increase your SKILL—but remember that you can use only one weapon at a time!

Stamina
Your STAMINA will change frequently during your adventure as you suffer wounds and then recover. At various times you will be given opportunities to eat meals and to buy provisions. Eating a meal normally restores up to 4 points of STAMINA; you may only eat one meal at a time, even though you have more in your backpack. Unless specifically stated, your STAMINA may never exceed its Initial score.

Luck
There will be times when the success or failure of your exploits will depend entirely on your LUCK. You will be instructed to Test your Luck, the procedure for which is as follows. Roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. As you will see, the more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky. There will be occasions when you will be able to recover some points of LUCK; however, unless specifically stated to the contrary, your score cannot exceed its Initial value.

Willpower
WILLPOWER works in exactly the same way as LUCK, and the procedures and comments described above for LUCK apply equally to WILLPOWER. As with LUCK, you must remember to deduct a point from your WILLPOWER score after each time that you Test your Willpower. There is, however, one extra pitfall: at the start of your adventure you are already tired, and you are about to meet a succession of horrible and unnatural creatures. If your WILLPOWER drops below 6 points, and you then Test your Willpower unsuccessfully, you will lose your grip on sanity, and your adventure will be over.

Equipment
You trudge down the hills with only your armor, your sword and your backpack. You have no food and very little money.

Getting Started
Neuburg is a dangerous place, and you are very unlikely to succeed in your mission at the first attempt. It is recommended that you make notes and draw a map as you explore. There is a way to succeed that involves little risk of death or madness, even if you start with low Initial scores. There are many more routes that lead to failure and unpleasant fates.
BACKGROUND
Captured! Netted, strung up and helpless! You curse yourself for an inattentive fool.

So much for the peace and quiet of civilization! It was daydreaming about the comforts of home that got you into this mess. But even the hardiest adventurer can tire of life in the wilderness and begin to yearn for a soft bed, and it was difficult to think of anything else as you trudged to the summit of the last of the foothills and glimpsed the town of Neuburg basking in the afternoon sun.

You know Neuburg; you have been here once before. It is not a large settlement, but you remember it as peaceful and prosperous. The black battlements of the Keep of Neuburg seem to loom threateningly over the little town; but Baron Tholdur, the Margrave of Neuburg Keep, is an old friend of yours. He is more than a friend, in fact—he is a comrade-in-arms. The two of you fought side by side at the Battle of Helm Hill, a renowned victory which has, so far, prevented any further incursions by the Southerners of the steppes. You had been looking forward to seeing the old warrior again; and instead you have let yourself be caught by a band of those very same southern barbarians.

Nearing the end of a hard trek down from the mountains, with the roof-tops of Neuburg in sight and your head filled with thoughts of a hearty meal, you failed to notice the warning signs. The bushes at the side of the trail rustled—and not quite at the same time as the wind gusted across the hills. Bird-song broke out as you approached a solitary tree, and you should have noticed that it was not entirely like any bird-song you had heard before. At any other time you would have stopped and looked around before stepping under that overhanging branch—it was such an obvious place for a trap.

And then the ground gave way beneath your feet. Voices shouted in an unfamiliar tongue. You struggled, but could hardly move. And here you are. It's dark: you're in a pit. The ropes about you are pulled tighter. You move upwards, out into the light. You are in a net, hanging from a branch, and you are surrounded by silent swordsmen swathed in flowing robes. As you spin slowly, their glittering eyes and gleaming blades seem to circle you. You glimpse the lowering shape of Neuburg Keep, and then something very heavy hits the back of your head. Pain…flashing lights—you lose all consciousness.
NOW TURN OVER

You wake. A particularly insistent Dwarf blacksmith seems to be using your head as an anvil. Your hands and feet are tightly bound, and a blindfold covers your eyes. You cannot move, you cannot see, and you can hear only distant, indistinct sounds.

Time passes. The pain in your head subsides to a dull throb. Nothing else happens. Then you hear a voice, an urgent whisper: 'My friend! Hush! Say nothing! I have a sharp knife, but I dare not stay long. I cannot enter through this small space; you must pull yourself a little to your right and I will sever your bonds. Hurry!'

Do you trust this unknown voice and shuffle nearer in the hope that your ropes will be cut? Or do you reject this offer of help?

[Name to be determined]
SKILL 11/11
STAMINA 18/18
LUCK 9/9
WILLPOWER 10/10
Equipment: Sword, Armor
Provisions: None
Gold Pieces: Very Little

EDIT: tried to fix fucked up spoiler tags
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

It looks like we're not in a position to distrust anyone now. Shuffle nearer.

(Nightmare Castle arrived over the weekend, along with 32 pounds of other stuff, including four(!) copies of Forest of Doom and a beautiful, nearly pristine Spectral Stalkers. Portal of Evil is in another package, and Bajinga stays unavenged so far.)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Congratulations! Out of curiosity, are the Forest of Dooms four different covers/editions or are they all the same? The early Ian Livingstone and UK Steve Jackson books went through a shitload of editions; I have the US version.)

You shuffle awkwardly to the right, encouraged by the mysterious voice: 'That's right, my friend, that's right, just a little further now, but please hurry; I dare not be found here. I am in mortal fear for my life, but perhaps you are the one we are expecting, and I cannot let those Southerners take you. That's it, that's it; I have your ropes now—so!' And you feel the bonds falling from your wrists.

You tear off your blindfold and wrench the ropes from your ankles. You are in a cellar; a little light enters from an open door at the top of a steep flight of narrow stairs. Of your rescuer there is no sign. There appears to be no other door. Do you want to search the cellar, or will you escape up the staircase?
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Search.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yes, find things. We need things.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Search. We have our sword, but more stuff wouldn't hurt.

(Whoops, it's five Forests of Doom: a star (2nd), a green zigzag (20th), a bronze unnumbered, and two identical copies of the American version. It better not suck.)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(We actually don't have our sword on us, something I should have probably clarified; I got a bit overzealous with the copypasta. Also, missing our weapon is not mentioned in the text until later, which might be another reason why I forgot to mention it.)

The cellar contains little except for the straw on the floor and several broken boxes. You search for some time; you find no secret doors and no weapons. You are still on your hands and knees sorting through the straw when you hear the sound of approaching footsteps.

Six robed figures march down the steps; they are amused to find you untied, and enjoy chasing you around the cellar. You have no weapon and, in spite of all your struggles, you are doomed to lose this unequal fight. The swordsmen want to capture you alive, it seems, and they bludgeon you into unconsciousness.

(Cue the Benny Hill music.)

You wake up in a cavernous, vaulted dungeon. You are spreadeagled on a cold stone slab. There are manacles around your limbs and tight straps across your body. All you can do is watch the wildly dancing shadows cast by the light of flaring cressets.

Eventually, your solitary confinement ends. A crowd of silent, barely human forms enter the chamber. Their hideous deformities are so repellent that you cry out in disgust. They are carrying a selection of very sharp knives. They kill you slowly, and take ecstatic pleasure in your agonized writhings. You go completely insane before you die.

(Or not. This ending is bullshit, but I do love the "you go completely insane before you die" bit. Let's see what happened if we went upstairs.)

You emerge into a circular stone room. There are no guards, and your sword and pack are lying on the floor. You collect them, and then peer through the slits that pierce the thick wall. You realize that you are in the ground-floor room of one of the towers of Neuburg's East Gate. One of the slits gives you a clear view west along the main street leading to the center of town; the sun has set behind the buildings, but the whole scene is lit by a beautiful red sky. Everything is peaceful—too peaceful! The streets are almost deserted. There are no shouts from the riverside wharves, no priests chanting in the temples, no dogs snuffling in the piles of refuse, and no revelers stumbling from the inns. The silence is eerie.

You are determined to investigate; but first you must escape from this gatehouse. The one door is of solid oak, banded with iron, and is locked from the outside. You will have to try to force it open. Add together your SKILL and STAMINA scores. Roll one die eight times and add the results together. (22; the result is less than our combined SKILL and STAMINA.)

You attack the door with your shoulder and your sword. Suddenly it opens. You stagger through the doorway and slump to the dusty ground to catch your breath in the shadow of the dilapidated tower. You realize that your captors could return at any moment, and you decide to try to find shelter in the town. Picking yourself up, you head straight for the Southern Star tavern, which you remember as a large, hospitable establishment in a prominent position on the market-square.

As you head west to the market-square, you notice that the few householders you can see are hastily barring their doors and shuttering their windows. When you reach the Southern Star tavern, it appears to be closed. Pounding on the boards with the pommel of your sword brings the innkeeper to the door. It is easy to rent a room, as there are no other guests. You eat a solitary meal by the light of a candle in the gloom of the inn's shuttered common room. Recover up to 4 points of STAMINA, if you have lost any so far.

You decide to ask the innkeeper what is going on in Neuburg. You have to choose whether you will reveal your past association with Baron Tholdur, or whether you will keep this information to yourself.

SKILL 11/11
STAMINA 18/18
LUCK 9/9
WILLPOWER 10/10
Equipment: Sword, Armor
Running Total of Deaths: 1

EDIT: I didn't notice that I forgot the very important "eight times" in the door-busting-down roll.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Keep it to ourselves.

[Name suggestions, anyone?]
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Korgan0 wrote:Keep it to ourselves.
Agreed. Keep secrets.
[Name suggestions, anyone?]
In the spirit of previous characters, Holden McGroin.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Fuck, I thought the mysterious helper said to hurry to emphasize his own inability to stay but that he actually expects us to equip up here and take the fight to the enemy, and the book would be a dungeon-crawler. I mean, it's in the title. I'm not particularly pissed at the death, but it might have made the book less scary.

Spill it. If this guy doesn't profit under the presumably mundane Southerners, he might be an ally.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I suggest the name of "Fukkerjack." Also, you should totes tell him what your friends are about, because that makes no sense and this book tortures you to death for looking for a weapon rather than wandering around when the proximal problem is that you are unarmed.

-Username17
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(There is a dungeon crawl, but there is also a "rest up and gather information and/or supplies in town" phase first.)
The "escape from the watchtower" portion kind of feels like filler, and it doesn't help that you only have a 25% chance of getting out of the basement; if you don't accept the offer to cut your bonds the guards drag you off to be tortured and killed as if you stayed. (This book is heavy on the insta-deaths, but they get better, as does the book in general.) Then you have to roll 8d6 vs. (SKILL+STAMINA) or get into 6 (!) one-on-one fights. If you survive that you get to where we are (which is why you get the heals; 4 STAMINA actually seems really stingy if you had to fight the 6 guys)
(So it's 2-2 for not telling the guy about our past. To break the tie I'll roll a d6. Odds we don't talk, evens we do. Rolled 6, we talk.)

'You know Baron Tholdur! Any friend of our Margrave is welcome here. You must try a glass of our very special Neuburg brandy! No? Perhaps you have experienced it before...But wait!' The innkeeper looks at you sharply. 'How can I be sure you are not trying to trick me? You say you were at Helm Hill, but that battle is common knowledge. Can you prove you know Baron Tholdur?'

Concealed in your belt you keep a bejeweled gold ring inscribed with a comradely message from the Margrave. It would prove that you know him—but it is immensely valuable and would tempt all but the most honest of men.

If you want to show it to the innkeeper
If you would rather drop the subject of Baron Tholdur (This leads to the same section as keeping our past relationship with Tholdur to ourselves would have.)

(Also, this is the second time the book has told us about an item that we do or don't have during the start after the introduction that normally tells you these things. My theory: bad editing, since the guy who wrote Beneath Nightmare writes well; he did Portal of Evil and Spectral Stalkers.)

SKILL 11/11
STAMINA 18/18
LUCK 9/9
WILLPOWER 10/10
Equipment: Sword, Armor, Bejeweled Gold Ring

EDIT: I'll wait to decide on the name, in case anyone else wants to weigh in on it.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Right, I was wondering how you got 22 on a single d6. No, you can't go ahead and say it's a 25% chance because the choices are not blind; on the one hand, I doubt a noticeable percentage of readers would refuse the help, on the other hand, three (vs zero) people voted to search. To illustrate: suppose the second choice had been "you find a sword, do you take it? - yes - haha lol it's cursed and you die". 25% is a good estimate, though.

Show him the ring. If he was evil, he would sell us out, ring or not, and now we know he doesn't.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

'A pretty gift indeed! The Margrave plainly thinks highly of you.' The innkeeper's heart manner disappears and he addresses you earnestly. 'It is clear you are a mighty warrior. I beg you, in memory of your friendship with Baron Tholdur, to rid this town of evil. Why our Margrave does not help us I cannot guess—no doubt he has good reason. We are afraid of strangers these days. The Baron returned from his last trip south with a retinue of foreign swordsmen. They treat the town as if it belonged to them. But, worst of all, people are simply disappearing; and at night, there are things roaming the streets. But if anyone wanders outside after nightfall, he never returns home. Sometimes we find pools of blood, and the tracks of a large beast.

'I can offer you little advice. Above all, do not venture outside after dark. Do not even open the shutters in your room. Tomorrow, you should seek our Old Huw at the ruined temple to Oiden. He is the oldest man in Neuburg. People say he is half mad, but I have found that his words contain much wisdom. Now you should sleep. Remember what I have told you, and please help us if you can.' The innkeeper shows you to your room.

You survey your chamber with a cautious eye. It looks clean and comfortable. You search beneath the mattress and behind the door: nothing. You secure the door with its strong iron bolt. Crossing to the window, you slowly unlatch and push open one of the heavy wooden shutters. The night is completely silent. You step out on to a small balcony. It would be only a jump down to the street, and you could clamber back easily. What will you do next?

If you want to drop to the street and explore the town
If you would rather go up the hill to Neuburg Keep
If you decide to return to your room, secure the shutters, throw off your cloak and boots and go to bed
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Going outside without supernatural protection and getting eaten by unspeakable horrors sounds like a plan! Wait, no, it doesn't.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Sleep.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You wake up. What time is it? It is still dark; no daylight fills the cracks in the shutters. You shudder as you remember: you were dreaming, a terrible nightmare of horrors lurking in dark places deep below the ground.

And then, like an echo of your dream, an appalling yelping rends the quiet of the night—right outside your window! Silence follows; and then the sound of a cumbersome creature slinking away. You lie awake, but hear nothing more. Eventually you sleep again.

You eat an early breakfast in the common room of the Southern Star. It is a hearty meal, brought to you by the innkeeper's wife. You regain up to 4 points of STAMINA, if you have been wounded. After paying the innkeeper, you have 5 Gold Pieces remaining in your purse. Record this on your Adventure Sheet.

You return to your room to collect your sword and backpack, and then step out into the market-square. The sky is leaden, and the Southern Star's name-board clatters to and fro in the gusty, drizzly wind.

If you decide to go straight to Neuburg Keep
If you want to walk about the town

SKILL 11/11
STAMINA 18/18
LUCK 9/9
WILLPOWER 10/10
Equipment: Sword, Armor, Bejeweled Gold Ring
Gold Pieces: 5
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Walk around.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yeah, maybe we can find out what a gold piece is worth.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

There is no market today. The square is empty, except for a few grim-faced townspeople who scurry across the cobbles. You spot a notice-board nailed to a post between the stocks and horse-trough; you walk over to it and find that, among proclamations about the permitted prices for meat pies, there is a tattered map flapping in the wind. It is a plan of the town:
A Neuburg Keep
B East Gate
C Market Square
D Riverside quarter
E Merchants' quarter—Bridge Street
F Temple quarter

Which part of Neuburg do you want to explore?
Go north, to the Merchants' Quarter
Go east, to the Temple Quarter
Go west, towards the wharves and warehouses at the riverside

(Forgive the really bad scan job; but to be fair, I wasn't the one who did it. My copy of Beneath Nightmare Castle would probably fall apart if I tried to scan it. I typed out the key, which is the most important part. If anyone needs help reading anything on it just ask.)
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

East, to the Temple Quarter.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Temple, maybe we can meet a divine spellcaster
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The Temple Quarter of Neuburg is one of the oldest parts of the little town, and the most peaceful. It contains a number of walled residences as well as the fairly humble shrines and temples to the northern gods that the ancestors of the Neuburgers brought with them when they settled this area by force several centuries ago. The newest and grandest temples, dedicated to the currently fashionable gods and goddesses of commerce and farming, occupy large parks along the magnificent New Wall Street. From here, narrower avenues climb the lower slopes of Castle Hill and provide access to the smaller and older shrines and temples. You find that walking up these winding avenues is like travelling backwards in time, into the history of Neuburg and its once barbaric peoples. But as you climb up past the ever more dilapidated temples of ever more ancient and forgotten cults, you begin to despair of finding anything useful in this part of the town. You head for an unusually grand building that looks as if it is the oldest temple of all; but as you approach, you see that it is virtually derelict and apparently deserted.

If you want to press on and visit this last temple
If you would rather turn back to the center of town
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Ancient temple? In a horror story? Nothing could possibly go wrong. Press on!