Shit You Wish Was Better

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I have no idea whatsoever why "the multiplayer elder scrolls game" plan is MMO style.

It seems UTTERLY clear that the obvious strategy should have been "almost exactly like standard elder scrolls games only the campaign mode is for a co-operative party of 2-4 players".

Flat out co-op PVE open sandbox campaign. Borderlands, only elder scrolls. Clearly.

The MMO angle is... more like "Hey we want to enter the 'Next WoW' Lottery and this IP looks like a fairly large ticket, clone awaaaaay!"
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Pretty much that last bit. Enough people are still convinced that MMOs are essentially a license to print money. Even some of the less successful ones generate sufficient dollars over the medium term, and Elder Scrolls is known enough to be a contender- one of the benefits of shoving the games onto the console market (regardless of the resulting quality issues).

Now, I think its pretty damn likely that there will be an initial rush followed by abandonment, and then 'suddenly' a free to play model just like Star Wars the Old Republic. Largely because of the largely single player storyline, the mass battles PvP with no other options (no arenas, 1v1, small groups or even dueling) and a shitload of features that just won't be in a launch, but people expect from anything with 'elder scrolls' in the title (including the dark brotherhood and thieves guild). But after a shitty an acrimonious transition, the exploitative f2p model will, like SWTOR, make them money.

Their main advantage at the moment is they are self-publishing (Zenimax Online is a separate studio from Bethesda Softworks, but both are direct subsidiaries of Zenimax Media), rather than going through one EA or one of the other major fuckers.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Shrapnel wrote: I also wish Fallout:NV was more like FO3.
This I don't get, Fallout: New Vegas was pretty good, definitely a step up from Fallout 3. The game works as a good "gateway-Fallout" to get you into the series, and might be refreshing if ye go back to it after playing New Vegas, but not better. That said, Fallout 3 had some cool weapon inventions ye could made, and New Vegas did have infuriating stuff in there (Invisible Walls,Have to plan character out in advance, Padded Sumo as final boss).

There are many things I would wish from games, including remaking them, but with better design/story decisions.

I wish Bethesda took lessons from Obsidian in regards to how New Vegas faired, and made their 5 years far more productive in other areas just not the story. That Skyrim made more DLC, Akavir, or least solving whatever Thalmor plot among things. That it took lessons from Morrowind more, and didn't try to destroy parts of their setting, cooler swag, and wounded people in camps or temples with Healers/Healing-Potions nearby.

I wish Alpha Protocol allowed ye to Aim a gun that didn't need to be a Critical Hit.

I wish Square Enix would stop being Dumb, and just milk Final Fantasy VII more (seriously, like a FFVII MMO should've been a thing). From a Marketing standpoint that is, since I don't care for that game at all.

That Capcom would stop being dumb, and actually release games its fans are GUARANTEED to buy from them! Speaking of, that Asura's Wrath wasn't diluted from its original form, such wasted potential for example of high-level non-caster.

Does wishing Rare being cooler, and therefore release another Conker game fit here?

Castlevania Reboot was done with a better story, and familiarity to its past (opposed to only its base essence and practically only one by name).

Snowblind Studios would make a Champions of Norrath 3, for some reason, that series still kinda holds up as good experiences to me.

Other M never happened, and Nintendo continues Star Fox/Metroid/Kirby series with new stories somehow. Hell, make a Walugi game, give him more of an Identity, than just sport appearances.

I wish they'd stop making "prequels" with games, either continue the story or move on.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Aryxbez wrote:
This I don't get, Fallout: New Vegas was pretty good, definitely a step up from Fallout 3. The game works as a good "gateway-Fallout" to get you into the series, and might be refreshing if ye go back to it after playing New Vegas, but not better. That said, Fallout 3 had some cool weapon inventions ye could made, and New Vegas did have infuriating stuff in there (Invisible Walls,Have to plan character out in advance, Padded Sumo as final boss).
Many of the mechanics of NV were better, but for me, the world of Fallout 3 was much better. The continued existence of a huge city in rubble studded with all kinds of things if you looked around was a huge up point.

Post Apocalypse seems wasted on the frontier. Look at New Vegas (the city) and Megaton. How much better is what New Vegas gave you compared to what Megaton gave you, but look how much of the world they take up. Megaton is tiny and just sort of exists, New Vegas basically incorporates all the biggest city into it, so you don't really have the sprawling ruins feel of Fallout 3.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I wish my HTC Desire Z had a larger screen, so I could play "The World Ends With You" and "Devil Survivor 2" easier :( #firstworldproblems
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Aryxbez wrote:
What Kaelik said, and the fact that a) you're a gopher in the main quest no matter who you side with (even in independent, you're mostly following Benny's plan and being told what to do and how to do it by Mr. Happy) and the fact that the game had a set ending (I like my sand-box, open world RPG's to keep going, thanks very much).

Also, some of the endings were real fuck-you's (the space bound ghouls are an excellent example of this. No matter what you do, their plan always fails and they always return to Earth for some reason or another, making the whole quest and story around them pointless.)
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I like the gameplay of DoW2, but it does turn into musical chairs too easily. Some of the design decisions were also odd, like orks being able to throw grenades further than they can shoot.

The Eldar were also a mess, they felt more like Imperial guard with their fortification building basic infantry and vast array of immobile artillery.

How I'd do DoW2 Eldar...
HQ units
-Farseer- support
-Autarch- melee/ranged weapons
-Warlock- psychic explosions

Tier I
-Dire Avengers- Exarch adds heavy melee or suppressive shootiness
-Guardian Jetbikes- shooty dudes that can kite melee, gains a shuriken cannon at tII
-Rangers- stealth snipey guys

Tier II
-Striking Scorpions- stealth heavy infantry, exarch upgrades to kill vehicles
-Vyper Jetbike- mobile suppressive fire or anti-vehicle
-Wave serpent- all around great transport with good firepower
-Wraithlord- smashes stuff and absorbs fire
-Warp Spiders- shooty killer teleporter guys

Tier III
- Fire Prism- tank with super laser
- Wraithknight- super unit with super weapons
- Court of the Young King- Squad of killy Exarch's with array of weapons
and Orks...
HQ
-Warboss
-Big Mek
-Kommando Nob

Tier I
-Shootas: shooty dudes, can get big shootas for suppressive fire
-Sluggas: melee dudes, can get stikk bombs to hurl
-Trukk: cheap ass transport

Tier II
-Looted Tank: ramshackle fire support
-Kommandos: Stealth dudes with specialty grenades
-Tankbustas: anti vehicle boyz
-Deff Dread: melee robot ork

Tier III
-Stompa: giant ork robot super unit
-Biker Nobs: fast, durable, choppy
-Battlewagon: transports huge amount of orks, shoots everything
I liked using Tyranids in the brief early game where ripper swarms were tier I and way overpowered. Then they took them out of the game (as a unit you could directly build)
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Shrapnel wrote: What Kaelik said, and the fact that a) you're a gopher in the main quest no matter who you side with (even in independent, you're mostly following Benny's plan and being told what to do and how to do it by Mr. Happy) and the fact that the game had a set ending (I like my sand-box, open world RPG's to keep going, thanks very much).

Also, some of the endings were real fuck-you's (the space bound ghouls are an excellent example of this. No matter what you do, their plan always fails and they always return to Earth for some reason or another, making the whole quest and story around them pointless.)
Uh, you're also a gopher in the Fallout 3 main quest, except that what you're told to do is positively insane and stupid.

As for the space-bound ghouls, they're, uh, obviously insane and their quest is doomed on first principles. The rockets clearly aren't intended for interstellar travel or even settling into a stable orbit.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
FaerieGodfather
NPC

Post by FaerieGodfather »

This is going pretty far back, but I wish Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace had been a real D&D game, like the Gold Box games before it or the Dark Sun games after it.
  • I wish you had the ability to generate an entire party.
  • I wish the combat system didn't combine up to 5 characters into a single square.
  • I wish confusion effects (in a game chock full of Umber Hulks) didn't make characters helpless.
  • I wish you could gain more than one or two levels and find all sorts of good loot.
  • I wish you could play Spelljammer races.
  • I wish you could adventure on the planets.
  • I wish the game included real quests.
I could probably think of more, given time. I just wanted that game to be good so badly, and I even still play it sometimes, wishing it would magically become good.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

name_here wrote:
Shrapnel wrote: What Kaelik said, and the fact that a) you're a gopher in the main quest no matter who you side with (even in independent, you're mostly following Benny's plan and being told what to do and how to do it by Mr. Happy) and the fact that the game had a set ending (I like my sand-box, open world RPG's to keep going, thanks very much).

Uh, you're also a gopher in the Fallout 3 main quest, except that what you're told to do is positively insane and stupid.
How the fuck is what your told to do in Fallout 3 and more insane or stupid than NV? Or any video game plot for that matter?
As for the space-bound ghouls, they're, uh, obviously insane and their quest is doomed on first principles.

What? Is "it's insane" they only argument you have?
The rockets clearly aren't intended for interstellar travel or even settling into a stable orbit.
Where the fuck did you get that from? Did you even do the quest? At no point is anything said about the SPACE rockets not being able to go into SPACE. Nor is anything said about interstellar travel; they're trying to get to the moon.
Half asleep upon my knee
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Shamus Young sums up the mangled absurdity of the Fallout 3 plot:
The story so far: A water purifier that has no reason to exist was overloaded by a man to prevent it from falling into the hands of people trying to fix it and released radiation it shouldn’t have, thus killing Colonel Autumn, who had no reason to be there. Then later we got through a village of children who fdso gah frrzlmpr blaaa huygggnl asdf;lj so we could enter vault 87 and recover a GECK, a device which would be better put to use in virtually any possible manner besides the one for which we had acquired it. Then Colonel Autumn, who shouldn’t be alive, captured us with a flash grenade that shouldn’t have worked and thrown by soldiers who had no way to reach us.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Chamomile wrote:Shamus Young sums up the mangled absurdity of the Fallout 3 plot:
The story so far: A water purifier that has no reason to exist was overloaded by a man to prevent it from falling into the hands of people trying to fix it and released radiation it shouldn’t have, thus killing Colonel Autumn, who had no reason to be there. Then later we got through a village of children who fdso gah frrzlmpr blaaa huygggnl asdf;lj so we could enter vault 87 and recover a GECK, a device which would be better put to use in virtually any possible manner besides the one for which we had acquired it. Then Colonel Autumn, who shouldn’t be alive, captured us with a flash grenade that shouldn’t have worked and thrown by soldiers who had no way to reach us.
Granted, Autumn's "death," the railroading capture of the PC by the Enclave, and the village of children (especially the village) were all really stupid, but why the fuck would there be 'no reason' to make a water purifier in a world where almost all water is irradiated? I literally cannot think of a better reason to make a water purifier.

And it doesn't strike me as unreasonable to want to prevent a group that wants to kill the bulk of the Capital Wasteland's populace from fixing a water supply that they're planning to poison in order to carry out their aforementioned genocide. Now, I don't know whether or not James knew that, but James is a idiot anyways given that he leaves his child with Big Brother and expects said child to be perfectly OK (I'll give him that his choices for "safe city" are fairly limited, since Megaton is literally unstable, but it is impossible to say that Vault 101 would be a safer place to live than Rivet City.)

Honestly, the greater absurdity of the plot to me was being unable to use a radiation immune super mutant (who is apparently both super good and super grateful to you for freeing him) in the irradiated reactor in vanilla Fallout 3, but that's by no means a dealbreaker (and one corrected by Broken Steel anyways.) The whole Vault 89 portion of the main quest was very poorly thought out, from the village of annoying children to the introduction of a radiation immune super mutant used to resolve one problem (who can't later be used to resolve a very similar situation he would be perfect for) to the being railroaded into Enclave captivity. The rest of the plot isn't airtight, but is far from terrible.

And as for the Fallout 3 vs. Fallout New Vegas debate I felt like my actions didn't matter nearly as much in New Vegas than 3 (determining who gets to control one city seems much less impressive than either saving or killing off 90% of the people in the DC area). Also, the whole "story of political intrigue with warring factions" has to try a hell of a lot harder to make me a power player than one that's standard (but enjoyable) "save or destroy the world" in order to make me give a fuck. And it also fails more as a sandbox because of the aforementioned set ending "for story reasons." So I feel that Fallout New Vegas tries to be two things and fails as both, while Fallout 3 is a very good sandbox game.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:why the fuck would there be 'no reason' to make a water purifier in a world where almost all water is irradiated?
Because the water purifier is non-functional and has been for twenty years. The villains have no reason to believe this has changed just because the people who tried and failed to get it working decades ago are having another go. Also it's weird that they sat around waiting for twenty years for the protagonist to show up instead of just using their space marines to claim the project while it was abandoned.

No, wait, sorry, that's a completely different piece of plot absurdity from the one you asked for an explanation of. That one is actually a reference to a bug (which Shamus didn't know was a bug) that caused the basin to provide clean water even before you finished the plot, so you got a bunch of people talking about needing to clean all the water that you can totally go out and drink from right now without getting any radiation poisoning at all. Of course, Fallout 3's problems with bugs are entirely separate from Fallout 3's problems with plot.
And it doesn't strike me as unreasonable to want to prevent a group that wants to kill the bulk of the Capital Wasteland's populace from fixing a water supply that they're planning to poison in order to carry out their aforementioned genocide.
The water is already poisoned for everyone, so the worst the villains can do with a water-cleaning device is nothing. Also, the villains' plan is not elaborated upon until the very last scene of the game, long after the scene where the villains show up to steal the purifier and idiot dad sacrifices himself to stop them from, uh...Cleaning water.
Last edited by Chamomile on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The plot was to spike the water with modified FEV to kill everyone who possessed the slightest taint of mutation. Except that Autumn opposed that plan on the grounds that it was suicidal for him, so unless you want to kill yourself and everyone, there's no need to go after him once Eden dies.

Now, Eden says you'll survive, but he thinks that you're a purebred vault resident and you are not.
Last edited by name_here on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Because the water purifier is non-functional and has been for twenty years. The villains have no reason to believe this has changed just because the people who tried and failed to get it working decades ago are having another go. Also it's weird that they sat around waiting for twenty years for the protagonist to show up instead of just using their space marines to claim the project while it was abandoned.
That's the kind of plot problem that's a non-issue to me.
Of course, Fallout 3's problems with bugs are entirely separate from Fallout 3's problems with plot.
Bethesda has always had massive problems with bugs, and it seems to get worse with every game they make. It's my biggest beef with them.
The water is already poisoned for everyone, so the worst the villains can do with a water-cleaning device is nothing.
10-30 rads (or whatever the fuck irradiated water normally does in the game) isn't as bad as "instant death." Poisoning an already polluted thing can generally make it worse.
Also, the villains' plan is not elaborated upon until the very last scene of the game, long after the scene where the villains show up to steal the purifier and idiot dad sacrifices himself to stop them from, uh...Cleaning water.
I couldn't remember whether or not he knew that. I will concede the point.
name_here wrote:The plot was to spike the water with modified FEV to kill everyone who possessed the slightest taint of mutation. Except that Autumn opposed that plan on the grounds that it was suicidal for him, so unless you want to kill yourself and everyone, there's no need to go after him once Eden dies.
Autumn captures you, interrogates you and tries to kill you (he does kill you if you tell him the activation code for the purifier when he asks.) Also, your crazy dad died trying to stop him. So I think it's fairly reasonable to want to go kick his ass, even if there's no need to stop him.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Bethesda has always had massive problems with bugs, and it seems to get worse with every game they make. It's my biggest beef with them.
I'm not sure that Skyrim or Oblivion counts as more buggy than Morrowind. Same for Skyrim/Oblivion.

While the future games don't feel better than Morrowind, I'm pretty sure the Bethesda is getting less buggy.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Kaelik wrote:I'm not sure that Skyrim or Oblivion counts as more buggy than Morrowind. Same for Skyrim/Oblivion.

While the future games don't feel better than Morrowind, I'm pretty sure the Bethesda is getting less buggy.
It could just be the nostalgia talking, then. I haven't played Morrowind for years.

EDIT: posted prematurely
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Kaelik wrote:
Darth Rabbitt wrote:Bethesda has always had massive problems with bugs, and it seems to get worse with every game they make. It's my biggest beef with them.
I'm not sure that Skyrim or Oblivion counts as more buggy than Morrowind. Same for Skyrim/Oblivion.

Skyrim has a HUMONGOUS amount of bugs and glitches, more so than any previous Bethy game. They also took longer in getting around to fix them for all.
Half asleep upon my knee
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Shrapnel wrote:Skyrim has a HUMONGOUS amount of bugs and glitches, more so than any previous Bethy game. They also took longer in getting around to fix them for all.
I'm sorry, what the fuck is your definition of a bug, because here are some short ones from Morrowind:

1) You can't finish the main quest ever at all without either cheating or bypassing 90% of it.

2) You can finish the main quest (and it's the only way to do so) by just levitating into the sky in Vivec and killing the guy there and then finishing the quest, thus bypassing the glitched part, and also 90% of the rest of it.

3) You can, on a fucking Xbox or on PC without using the console, have any stat at any absurdly high value, such as 5000 speed, that allows you to run insanely fast, so fast you can literally run into a wall and die and/or clip through it to anywhere else.

4) If you try to sleep while levitating, sometimes you just die instead.

5) And god fucking help you if you turn into a vampire or werewolf, because those come with entire piles of glitches and bugs, for example, if you transform into a werewolf in front of anyone, then literally every single NPC in the game will refuse to talk to you ever again, and your entire fucking world is fucked.

6) You can literally clone the entire island of Morrowind (technically, Vardenfall) into two islands of morrowind by fucking around on the mainland. Like, two fucking islands, that have the same people on it.

And those are just the catastrophically terrible bugs that were never fixed by Bethesda after two expansions, god knows how many patches, and a Game of the Year Edition.

What is wrong with your Skyrim bugs? Do the Dragons sometimes clip through the ground. Yeah, we had land sharks in Morrowind too, but they were so common, they aren't even worth bringing up.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Glitches

I never said that the glitches in Skyrim were worse than the ones in Morrowind. I just said that they were more numerous.
Half asleep upon my knee
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Shrapnel wrote:http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Glitches

I never said that the glitches in Skyrim were worse than the ones in Morrowind. I just said that they were more numerous.
And you are wrong. Those are just the ones I personally ran into and remember from Morrowind. If you think Morrowind doesn't have tons of niggling minor glitches like "Pausing during dialogue while an NPC is talking will cause the NPC to skip to the next line if enough time has passed for the voice clip to be finished." like Skyrim, then you are an idiot.

I mean, wikis weren't even a thing when Morrowind came out and stopped being a major thing, and that same wiki has a comparably long page talking about a bunch of Morrowind glitches, and it is missing a fuckton of them because it is a best a portion of some of the forum threads from Morrowind.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Glitches
Last edited by Kaelik on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Kaelik wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Glitches

And you are wrong. Those are just the ones I personally ran into and remember from Morrowind. If you think Morrowind doesn't have tons of niggling minor glitches like "Pausing during dialogue while an NPC is talking will cause the NPC to skip to the next line if enough time has passed for the voice clip to be finished." like Skyrim, then you are an idiot.
Okay, so I was mistaken; I never played Morrowind as much as I did Skyrim, so it felt like the glitches were more numerous. Do you feel big in the pants now?

Also, is "you are an idiot" your only insult, or are trying to have a catchphrase? Try some variety, for Christ's sake.
Half asleep upon my knee
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Shrapnel wrote:Okay, so I was mistaken; I never played Morrowind as much as I did Skyrim, so it felt like the glitches were more numerous. Do you feel big in the pants now?
Pants would just get in the way of jacking off my huge epeen all over your face.
Shrapnel wrote:Also, is "you are an idiot" your only insult, or are trying to have a catchphrase? Try some variety, for Christ's sake.
I already have a catchphrase, it is "monkey fuck retarded" and you've seen me say it hundreds of times if you read this forum at all. You are an idiot is variety.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Kaelik wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:Okay, so I was mistaken; I never played Morrowind as much as I did Skyrim, so it felt like the glitches were more numerous. Do you feel big in the pants now?
Pants would just get in the way of jacking off my huge epeen all over your face.
Ooh, I love it when you talk dirty; just ravish me already.
Shrapnel wrote:Also, is "you are an idiot" your only insult, or are trying to have a catchphrase? Try some variety, for Christ's sake.
I already have a catchphrase, it is "monkey fuck retarded" and you've seen me say it hundreds of times if you read this forum at all. You are an idiot is variety.
To be honest, I mostly just skim or skip over your posts. No offense.
Half asleep upon my knee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

The worst "bug" of fallout 3 was the fact that just being the usual fallout fan meant you could, on accident, bypass 80% of the game, simply by doing what most fallout fans will do when they discover a vault:"mine!" *runs in and grabs loot*
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.