Shit You Wish Was Better

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

It'd be nice if the Elder Scroll games didn't require mods to make characters that aren't massively ugly (but then the modding community would have less to do...) There's great American fantasy artists out there, just none of them work for bioware. The animation is also really bad, yet this thing can sell 10+ million, it's maddening.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OgreBattle wrote:It'd be nice if the Elder Scroll games didn't require mods to make characters that aren't massively ugly (but then the modding community would have less to do...) The animation is also really bad, yet this thing can sell 10+ million, it's maddening.
It's almost like people care about things like gameplay instead of just pretty pictures.

It is maddening that you consider this maddening.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I wish companies would make new games, instead of rereleasing old ones. I mean, seriously, Earth 2140 HD Remake?!
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I think I hate most TES mods aside from SkyUI. I can't decide what is worse, really, the lame color filters or the tremendously generic female skins--it's like the modders draw their inspiration from real dolls.
bears fall, everyone dies
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I wish Hideo Kojima would learn how to write, instead of doing constant infodumps and "X, huh?"
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Yeah, I haven't found any really satisfying mods either.
Whipstitch wrote:--it's like the modders draw their inspiration from real dolls.
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

That's a game that was completely honest to their fanbase
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Longes wrote:I wish more games were made for PC, instead of consoles. Or at least ported.
They can't port console games, because we'd play on their servers using mouse and keyboard and make everyone on those fucking controllers feel like two-year olds. Even the AI has to be massively upgraded to cope with people who have a functional control system, the jumps and stuff have to be harder, everything's just wrong.

Like, there's hardware that lets you use mouse and keys on the PS3 and XBox and the people on top of their ranking systems are all using it. The games aren't even fun any more when you're not trying to aim with your fucking thumbs.

It's why console games are all basically rail-shooters, and those feel really shit on the PC because you expect to be able to go west and do that other thing instead.

But making games for PCs doesn't work either. It's nostalgia. People still think X-Com is a good game, when really they just played it at a formative time in their lives. If you clean up the UI and fix the controller issues with it there's really nothing left, it's just not any fun once you remove that artificial challenge. HoMnM or whatever are the same deal.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I wish that Level 5 would making Dark Cloud 3. I wish that Irem was making Steambot Chronicles 2. I hate that Master of Orion 3 was a terrible game since I loved 2.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

tussock wrote:
But making games for PCs doesn't work either. It's nostalgia. People still think X-Com is a good game, when really they just played it at a formative time in their lives. If you clean up the UI and fix the controller issues with it there's really nothing left, it's just not any fun once you remove that artificial challenge. HoMnM or whatever are the same deal.
Nah, that's a really dumb thing to say. The games you're talking about here are turn based. The interfaces can and certainly do make them more tedious, but they don't really add to the difficulty in a meaningful way.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

X-com's interface isn't really all that bad anyhow. It could do with losing a couple of extra buttons, a slightly better next guy button, and letting you scroll to an empty segment of the ground inventory screen, but it's pretty solid overall.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Time units and quickly estimating how many you were about to use was probably the biggest issue. My biggest pet peeve was squaddie loadouts.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I never had a big issue with time units, though mostly because I autoreserved them. But yeah, the start-of-mission inventory shuffle can burn in hell.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

tussock wrote:But making games for PCs doesn't work either. It's nostalgia. People still think X-Com is a good game, when really they just played it at a formative time in their lives. If you clean up the UI and fix the controller issues with it there's really nothing left, it's just not any fun once you remove that artificial challenge. HoMnM or whatever are the same deal.
Wait, what?

By that logic, making games for consoles doesn't work, because PS1 existed at some point. What does nostalgia has to do with Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and inFamous not existing on PC?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Question: why, then, platformer aces use gamepads?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Starmaker wrote:Question: why, then, platformer aces use gamepads?
Because precision jumping is easier on an analogous controller than on digital one.

But really, there is no point in arguing controllers. Both gamepads and keyboard+mouse have their merits and weaknesses.
Last edited by Longes on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Analog sticks clearly have some advantages over wasd in some games, but the margin of victory isn't at all comparable to mouse pointing vs. analog stick pointing. In fact, I'd rather have qwerty and friends at my side if we're talking about a game in which it's feasible that you could benefit from having more than a half dozen hotkeys/standard commands.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

In my experience, wasd is shit for driving, but decent for foot travel. I was fine on foot in SR3 with keyboard and mouse, butthe driving, especially motorcycles, made me wish I had a gamepad.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I couldn't give a shit about controller wars, I just want to get better at La Mulana / Rogue Legacy, and quite a lot of people insist the one true way to achieve it is to [learn to] use a controller [and take some turds in the face now for ultimate power later]. However, both games seem to require fast movement and precise timing of attacks. Why, then, would it benefit me, as a righty, to learn to control movement with my left thumb (vs. arrow keys)?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Analog sticks give theoretically finer control if you know how to use them, since they aren't binary.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Starmaker wrote:I couldn't give a shit about controller wars, I just want to get better at La Mulana / Rogue Legacy, and quite a lot of people insist the one true way to achieve it is to [learn to] use a controller [and take some turds in the face now for ultimate power later]. However, both games seem to require fast movement and precise timing of attacks. Why, then, would it benefit me, as a righty, to learn to control movement with my left thumb (vs. arrow keys)?
I've beaten both Rogue Legacy and Meatboy with a keyboard. The controller is a true way to ultimate power because it allows for more precise jumping/running. With practice you can be good enough with a keyboard.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

A mouse is better than a thumbstick for control, and movement is almost always tied to camera direction, so as a general rule if you are expected to control both your character and the camera simultaneously you should use m+kb. The gains from thumbstick>mouse on the camera outweigh the losses from thumbstick>wasd on movement. But if you only control character movement with, say, a fixed camera, then the controller's better. Not that I've ever bothered to develop my thumbskills. I just stubbornly bash away at wasd.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

tussock wrote:But making games for PCs doesn't work either. It's nostalgia.
The original is still played to this day by an avid fan base. It has a functional strategy layer, unlike the new one WHICH IS WAS MADE FOR CONSOLES YOU IDIOT.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I wish Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup didn't kill me on level 1 so many times.

And I wish Doom monsters couldn't see you through the walls.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

They're doing an Earth 2140 rerelease? I hope they get to 2150, that game ruled when I was like ten.

I'd echo some complaints about Borderlands 2's loot system. They made purples and oranges waaayyy rarer than in Borderlands 1, and whites and greens waaayyy more common. They also made it so that stores have almost nothing good in them ever. I guess they really wanted to play up gathering a group of four and taking on a raid boss, because people liked Crawmeraxx back in General Knoxx. But most of the time it just means I have a bunch of low-variety garbage.
-JM
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Jigglypuff and Ganondorf in Brawl. It pisses me off to no end that they nerfed my two mains from Melee to the point of uselessness.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).