Ars Magica

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

zasx wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:What criteria do you use to determine if a trait is or is not part of nature?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_idealism

PS - Adversarial story guides are a plague. They don't leave any wiggle room for fun.

PPS - Maybe you should bring that question to the Ars Magica forum if you want intelligent answers and not some passers-by.
Oh fucking fuck. If you're going to try to use Platonic Idealism as a measure of what changes can and cannot be made, how many teeth can you make a horse have?

Secondly: whether or not you've successfully imposed sufficient groupthink on a dedicated Ars Magica forum to give consistent answers to basic questions isn't remotely the point. The point is and has been that Ars Magica does not and cannot give enough information about how its magic system works for any question about spontaneous magic to have an unambiguous answer. Thus, it is actually impossible to use spontaneous magic in that game without a long and stupid discussion with your storyguide about what he thinks predicates are. The fact that the "passers-by" who claim to be fans and storyguides of Ars Magica have been unable to consistently or coherently answer extremely simple questions about how spontaneous magic works proves me right.

Because when you actually play the game, you do not get the combined groupthink of a ten year old forum, you get one specific "passer-by" as a storyguide. And the fact that "some random dude who really likes Ars Magica" describes only people who belong to the set "can't consistently or coherently explain what the limits of Ars Magica spontaneous magic are" means that the discussion was over before it began.

All of the Ars Magica fans who popped up to claim that Ars Magica was in fact internally consistent and that spontaneous magic could be easily and unambiguously ruled upon have backed down. They backed down because they were fucking wrong. Ars Magica has many positive traits, but its spontaneous magic system is a fucking mess defined by guidelines that do not actually make any sense.

-Username17
zasx
NPC

Post by zasx »

FrankTrollman wrote:Oh fucking fuck. If you're going to try to use Platonic Idealism as a measure of what changes can and cannot be made, how many teeth can you make a horse have?
Well, do you expect some game rulebook to do better than Plato?

Why do you ask for the impossible?
Kurt Goedel killed Bertrand Russel's plans for maths, I think that's proof enough to kill perfect magic.

And as I said, adverserial story guides are a plague.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Can you honestly tell me what exactly adversarial storyguides have to do with anything? It's totally out of left field.

The contention is that Ars Magica's spontaneous magic system is a clusterfuck that no one can explain or delineate satisfactory boundaries to even when given unlimited time to check sources and respond on a fucking message board - and that by extension your ability to use it spontaneously in play is limited by your ability to guess what number the storyguide is thinking of. That's a whole lot like not having a system at all, and I actually think that spontaneous magic would be better if it didn't have a system. At least then it would be upfront about being a negotiation between the player and the storyguide, rather than pretending to have rules but actually not having any because the definitions are weak and contradictory.

Whether your storyguide is out to get you or not doesn't really mean dick, because the point is not whether any particular storyguide is cruel or kind or good or bad, but merely that without reading your storyguide's fucking mind or having a long and boring discussion about predicate logic, there is absolutely no way to know what your spontaneous magic is capable of in any particular session. No two people who came to defend the coherency of Ars Magica's magic system came to the same conclusions of what Muto was even capable of, and all of them who put more than a cursory amount of words into it also contradicted themselves.
zasx wrote:Well, do you expect some game rulebook to do better than Plato?

Why do you ask for the impossible?

-Username17
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

zasx wrote:Well, do you expect some game rulebook to do better than Plato?
Of course we all know that Plato's Idealism is the Platonic Ideal of Platonic Idealism.
Lich-Loved
Knight

Post by Lich-Loved »

Setting aside the obvious issues with the spontanious casting rules, can we get back to discussing the rest of the system?

Where can I get some reasonable non-wanky reviews of the system that might intrigue me to give it a try? Is there anything else a burned out d20 player should know before delving in? Are there any essential books to obtain / stay away from when investigating the system?
- LL
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

Frank I hate to break it to you that the spontaneous system is he same as the formulaic system. The examples you cite as potential problems are theoretical edge card I've never seen in play myself.

Seriously though - you actually think having green skin is a normal standard part of being a human? Really? You seem to be confused about people who develop green skin vs actually being born with it. Your interpretation of natural is not how people who play the game think about it.

Gangrene is an infection. Perdo corpus. Dying your skin with leaves is creo herbam or aquam. external. Anemia is an affliction. Pedro corpus. You are blowing the level ambiguity all out of proportion. I bodybuild and eat lots of GLV and have never heard of anyone ever getting good green skin from that offline and online.

A new edition of the game really could give a bit more clarity absolutely. Especially for 13th century natural vs 21st century natural. Go to rpg.Net and as people of they have these problems with Ars. or the ars magics forum... But this "SPONTANEOUS MAGIC IS BROKEN" Is just absurd and makes me embarrassed for you.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Heaven's Thunder Hammer wrote:But this "SPONTANEOUS MAGIC IS BROKEN" Is just absurd and makes me embarrassed for you.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Heaven's Thunder Hammer wrote:Frank I hate to break it to you that the spontaneous system is he same as the formulaic system.
Frank's not saying that the systems are inherently different. His argument, as I understand it, is that when something is that subjective and flimsy,
a) it takes a long time to resolve whether or not a given effect is possible and what atrs/level it is if so, and
b) that question may have a different answer each time it's brought up.

When using the formulaic system, you're necessarily defining the spell during downtime, so the extra time spent negotiating with the MC is less annoying, and you're only ever defining a spell once, which you will then have pre-approved for any adventures you decide to take it on. The argument isn't that formulaic casting has a different, usable system; it's that formulaic casting is the only way that the system is usable.

(Again, assuming I understand him correctly.)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Momo has the right of it. It basically doesn't matter how vague the spell creation rules are for the pre-made spells. I mean, in Ars Magica they are very vague and totally open to interpretation. But it doesn't matter, because spells are created during downtime and you don't have to interrupt the flow of the game to discuss the nature of platonic ideals and shit.

Now what's especially hilarious about HTH's tirade is how thoroughly he "own goaled" himself.
HTH wrote:Seriously though - you actually think having green skin is a normal standard part of being a human? Really? You seem to be confused about people who develop green skin vs actually being born with it. Your interpretation of natural is not how people who play the game think about it.

Gangrene is an infection. Perdo corpus. Dying your skin with leaves is creo herbam or aquam. external. Anemia is an affliction. Pedro corpus. You are blowing the level ambiguity all out of proportion. I bodybuild and eat lots of GLV and have never heard of anyone ever getting good green skin from that offline and online.
Here's the thing: turning someone's skin green is an example in the book of something you can do with Muto on the grounds that it is "not natural." You can count the number of actual Muto examples on the fingers of one hand, and that is one of them. HTH's task was to explain a rubric to define how a trait which could very plausibly appear in a real live human under a variety of circumstances would nevertheless be defined as unnatural. That was fucking it.

Instead what he did was to rant about how disease states and vegetable dyes were the province of other magic categories altogether. So apparently his claim is that Muto can do absolutely fucking anything, on the grounds that any effect you might want to accomplish with any other magic category would therefore not be natural and would therefore be a thing you could apply with Muto. So since it is not in your nature to be sick, you can apply the effects of any disease state with Muto. And since it is not in your nature to be covered with plant products, you can cover yourself with plant products with Muto. And so on.

HTH lost the plot and started arguing the exact opposite of what he was supposed to argue, which was that Muto had clear boundaries. Instead, he effectively argued that it has no boundaries.
Lich Loved wrote:Setting aside the obvious issues with the spontanious casting rules, can we get back to discussing the rest of the system?

Where can I get some reasonable non-wanky reviews of the system that might intrigue me to give it a try? Is there anything else a burned out d20 player should know before delving in? Are there any essential books to obtain / stay away from when investigating the system?
Well, as you can tell from all the dumbasses who jump up to "defend" it, Ars Magica attracts the worst sort of naval gazing hipster bullshitters you can imagine. Ars Magica was made by the people who became White Wolf before they were White Wolf, which means that you're basically dealing with White Wolf fans who liked White Wolf before it "sold out" with Masquerade. Holy. Fucking. Shit. Pretentious hipsterism at a level you can't even imagine. The pretentious bullshit gets worse with every new edition because the fanboys have more to remind you about how they liked the game when it was on vinyl or some shit.

That being said, it's basically Cyberpunk 2020 in fantasy format. I'll probably get a lot of flak for that comparison, but there really aren't that many twists you can pull on a d10 system against a variable TN. It's not super crunchy, but it's pretty fast.

The magic system is, as we've established repeatedly by the testimony of fanbois trying and failing to claim otherwise, a clusterfuck. It's evocative and thematic, but even five editions in no one can tell you what the fucking spell schools do. It's kind of a problem. For the spontaneous magic, it's a huge problem because you're supposed to write the spell effects in the middle of the action and that doesn't fucking work. For the premade spells, it scarcely matters at all.

The Troupe system is very innovative and cool. By rotating through playing Quadratic Wizards, Linear Fighters, and piles of Mooks, the game manages to solve the Linear Warriors / Quadratic Wizards problem. Wizards get to be better than you, but the game as a whole remains balanced. That's an achievement worthy of high praise.

-Username17
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Here's the passage I was arguing about - just for clarity since Ars 5th lacks some of that.
FrankTrollman wrote:So because Ars Fan is being extremely thick, let's open up the actual page 78 definitions:
Muto, 5th edition wrote:By using Muto magic a magus can grant or remove properties something cannot naturally have. Thus, Muto can give a person wings or turn her skin green, or turn a person into a wolf. The difficulty of the magic depends on the extent of the change, so that turning someone’s skin green is easy, but turning someone into a golden statue is difficult.

Muto magic cannot affect the properties that something has naturally, although it can add other properties to them to mask their effects. Thus Muto magic can neither injure nor kill someone directly, although it could render her immobile, by turning her to stone, or kill her indirectly, by turning her into a fish on dry land so that she suffocates.
Now, those of you who aren't mouth breathers will notice that that description contradicts itself repeatedly despite its brevity. Also you'll note that since it has everything to do with "properties" (undefined) and whether or not they "can be natural" (also undefined), that there is essentially no chance whatsoever of finding two storyguides who agree on what you can and cannot do with Muto. No two people agree on what is and is not a predicate, nor can you find two people who agree on what properties are and are not things that can occur.

We could get into deep philosophy of time dependent traits or traits of number to get really weird arguments ("What happens if I give myself the trait of 'only surviving member of House Anjou?'"), but it actually falls apart way earlier than that because of the whole "naturally" thing. Any trait you don't have is one which in this particular time line is one that you can't have had at this moment. But we're pretty sure that's not what the book is talking about, and that it's actually talking about some sort of alternate history hypothetical. That being the case, holy fuck why does it list green fucking skin as something that could not occur in nature? There are lots of natural ways to get green skin, from hypochromic anemia and gangrene to just eating a lot of dark leafy vegetables or soaking yourself in dye. What is or is not natural would seem to be horribly confused and impossible to untangle even from the examples in the book, but it's actually worse than that, because not only are the limits of nature undefined in the game but you could very plausibly be talking about nature as understood by 13th century Christians. Or more precisely, the limits of nature in an undefined hypothetical of different events occurring in a context of natural laws that are to an undefined degree based on the limited knowledge of actual physics and medieval philosophy of the person sitting in the storyguide seat.

Muto is a badly defined thing. If you wanted to defend Ars Magica as not being a clusterfuck of incomprehensible gibberish, Muto is not the hill you want to die on.

-Username17
I actually had to reread the thread to figure out why Frank thought I was missing the point - this is the last time I get into debates while posting from my smartphone. (hint - they don't make you smarter.)

Frank, do people normally have green skin? No, they don't. Not normal = unnatural in to me.

This highlights the lousy definition of Muto - which I agree with.

But again, proves your point that GM discretion will result in differing levels of effects in an Ars game you ran vs games I run. The rule book is emphatically clear that different groups in undefined areas will come up with different spell levels. Page 111
The system gives sensible levels in the vast majority of cases, but storyguides should not let players use the system to force things past common sense.
All gruops / GMs will have a different idea of what common sense is. Point taken about these discussions coming up in the middle of combat - it isn't the time for huge philosophical discussions.

I'm not sure how you got that I argued that Muto can do anything. I think we're arguing past each other on that one.

Also, point taken about my lousy arguing abilities. I don't get into debates on the internet much and that is obvious to me.

That said - in play, my player's use of Muto has been very straightforward. "I want to make myself bigger or smaller. I want to turn into a goat for a day. I want to turn that idiot into a toad for a couple minutes. I want to change my appearance into some feudal lord's. I want to turn that patch of earth into mud. "

And also, as I've said earlier in this thread or are another - the ACTUAL disappointment my players have with the spontaneous system is that a starting Magus's arts are so low most worthwhile spells are not castable spontaneously at all. They want to cast a level 25 spell spontaneously, which requires a tech+form+sta+stress die >=50 which is simply not in reach for most starting characters unless serious optimization is used - and even then - they will be good for only ONE technique and form combination.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Lich-Loved wrote:Setting aside the obvious issues with the spontanious casting rules, can we get back to discussing the rest of the system?

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?692 ... Ars-Magica

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15020.phtml

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10968.phtml

http://rpggeek.com/rpg/1044/ars-magica-5th-edition

http://www.amazon.com/Magica-Fifth-Edit ... merReviews

http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2009/10/2 ... -part-one/

Theoretically, the game is very playable with just the core book - I've never actually done that myself. The virtue flaw system does reward optimization - but you're not necessarily punished for not having kewl powerz. With new players I"ve been very upfront about letting them redesign virtues and flaws later - and it has happened a couple of times.

If I were to recommend one book, it would be Covenants, but that's 'cause I love making them. Setting wise, the Rhine Tribunal book is considered one of the best for story seed/ saga ideas. But there several 5th ed tribunal books - each one with a very different flavor.

Mechanically - some of the books, Ancient Magic, Hedge Magic, the Arabian book, Mysteries, Rival Magic can add a lot of mechanical complexity if you use the new magic sub systems.

Here are a couple threads about other new players looking for advice on which books to get:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?701 ... nts-to-buy

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?565 ... prioritize

(my own from 4 years ago - I have since bought almost every book in print)

http://forum.atlas-games.com/viewtopic. ... oks#p88156

Depending on what made you burn on out on D20, Ars Magica may or may not be the game for you. I hope all the references are helpful.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

HTH wrote:Frank, do people normally have green skin? No, they don't. Not normal = unnatural in to me.
The thing is, this is the strongest definition of Muto I've ever heard of anyone putting forward. I honestly thought when you originally implied that, that you were making a mistake. If the "unnatural" clause in Muto simply means "unusual" then Muto can essentially do anything, and is clearly the best form of magic. I mean, honestly no other magic comes close.

People don't normally fall in love with their mortal enemies (acquiring the trait "star-crossed homosexual lover"). People don't normally find a hundred thousand dinars (acquiring the trait "fabulously wealthy"). People don't normally burst into flame (acquiring the trait "on fire"). People don't normally exsanguinate all over the walls and ceilings (acquiring the trait "in hemorrhagic shock"). And so on.

If simply being a trait people don't normally acquire is enough for it to count as unnatural, then Muto can by definition mimic the effects of every other type of magic plus do some other stuff that none of the other kinds of magic can do. Spots on the ground don't normally have impenetrable walls of flame rising out of them, so Ignwhat? Muto, bitches!

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

FrankTrollman wrote:
HTH wrote:Frank, do people normally have green skin? No, they don't. Not normal = unnatural in to me.
The thing is, this is the strongest definition of Muto I've ever heard of anyone putting forward. I honestly thought when you originally implied that, that you were making a mistake. If the "unnatural" clause in Muto simply means "unusual" then Muto can essentially do anything, and is clearly the best form of magic. I mean, honestly no other magic comes close.

People don't normally fall in love with their mortal enemies (acquiring the trait "star-crossed homosexual lover"). People don't normally find a hundred thousand dinars (acquiring the trait "fabulously wealthy"). People don't normally burst into flame (acquiring the trait "on fire"). People don't normally exsanguinate all over the walls and ceilings (acquiring the trait "in hemorrhagic shock"). And so on.

If simply being a trait people don't normally acquire is enough for it to count as unnatural, then Muto can by definition mimic the effects of every other type of magic plus do some other stuff that none of the other kinds of magic can do. Spots on the ground don't normally have impenetrable walls of flame rising out of them, so Ignwhat? Muto, bitches!

-Username17
Perhaps, much like games with lots of complicated options; only very few are actually worth taking; and most people will never see it.

However across large groups multiple opinions will see different possibilities.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

On a change of subject of Ars Magica,

There's a thread started by Cam Banks, one of the few permanent staff of Atlas Games (it is a pretty small shop)

http://forum.atlas-games.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30389

which was an outgrowth of

http://forum.atlas-games.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30386

Frank - we do not see eye to eye on interpretations of Ars Magica rules, but I think this would be a great opportunity for some input like yours and from other members of this forum. It would be good to get some critical game theorist opinions when the company is looking for some feedback.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Heaven's Thunder Hammer wrote:It would be good to get some critical game theorist opinions when the company is looking for some feedback.
I've heard that one before. Does someone have an appropriate image macro for that?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Like this?
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

I know Pathfinder and D&D 5E have a bad rep for their open playtest - this is not what is going on. It's just a friendly "what do you want" thread.

The game is just too small for them not to listen to their fanbase. Rather than be negative nellies, some feedback is better than nothing. The guys here think very different than many of the typical posters on the Atlas forums, and I think their feedback is a good idea.

I've been around for a while in the Ars community, and I recall threads I read/participated in from 2003, 2004 that were very influential on the development of 5E Ars out of 4E. The same people who talked about the game also were in the playtest, which seems to have made a good effect. The transition to 5E from 4E was overall very smooth and now 9-10 years later the large majority of ars players online agrees that 5E is the best edition by far.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

I know Pathfinder and D&D 5E have a bad rep for their open playtest - this is not what is going on. It's just a friendly "what do you want" thread.

The game is just too small for them not to listen to their fanbase. Rather than be negative nellies, some feedback is better than nothing. The guys here think very different than many of the typical posters on the Atlas forums, and I think their feedback is a good idea.

I've been around for a while in the Ars community, and I recall threads I read/participated in from 2003, 2004 that were very influential on the development of 5E Ars out of 4E. The same people who talked about the game also were in the playtest, which seems to have made a good effect. The transition to 5E from 4E was overall very smooth and now 9-10 years later the large majority of ars players online agrees that 5E is the best edition by far.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

http://bundleofholding.com/index/current
Available for the next 5 days, apparently.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

How about this for Muto? You give the subject new, intrinsic properties; traits strongly associated with other Forms/Techniques have them as requisites. For example, green skin is plain Muto, but green skin with photosynthesis will include an Herbam requisite. Plain fangs require no Animal requisite, but do when you include Adder's venom. As a result, on fire cannot be bestowed with Muto because the flames require the uninterrupted presence of air to persist (and thus not intrinsic); and even then, MuCo/Ig would be notably harder than CrIg.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I think you're still stuck with competitive bullshitting then, you just add another level.
It's not photosynthesis, I just inherently generate my own energy."
It's not 'on fire', it's just spewing oxygen and arbitrary heat.
It's not snakes' venom, I'm just injecting massive amounts of pure adrenalin.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

fectin wrote:I think you're still stuck with competitive bullshitting then, you just add another level.
Add a caveat for Corpus/Animal that it can only be gross physical characteristics unless you start adding requisites?
It's not photosynthesis, I just inherently generate my own energy.
Generating additional motive energy (and very much not a gross physical property) has been shown to fall under the auspices of Creo, so this makes it CrCo/Mu.
It's not 'on fire', it's just spewing oxygen and arbitrary heat.
It's still enough heat to create fire, and heat is still covered under Ignem, which makes it MuCo/Ig.
It's not snakes' venom, I'm just injecting massive amounts of pure adrenalin.
I'm fairly certain 13th century wizards don't know what adrenalin even is, and non-animal poisons are already established as falling under the auspices of Aquam.
Yes, that still permits Muto to be used for all of them. I'm not worried, because AFAIK, MuCo/Ig is notably harder than CrIg.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I gave quick answers to demonstrate my point. They were intended more as caricatures than as actual bullshit. For example, on the fire rock, you might instead say that the rock is radically and unstably hypophlogistonated, letting you fall back to any of several different reasons you could get the effect you want. I think the dodge in that explanation is not as obvious though, which is why I stupidized it.
Either way though, my explanation for why rocks burn with muto and your explanation for why they don't are still competitive bullshitting; it's just at a more meta level.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

fectin wrote:I gave quick answers to demonstrate my point. They were intended more as caricatures than as actual bullshit. For example, on the fire rock, you might instead say that the rock is radically and unstably hypophlogistonated, letting you fall back to any of several different reasons you could get the effect you want. I think the dodge in that explanation is not as obvious though, which is why I stupidized it.
Either way though, my explanation for why rocks burn with muto and your explanation for why they don't are still competitive bullshitting; it's just at a more meta level.
Again, is this not solved by adding the "gross physical characteristic without requisites" caveat, making the subsequent MuCo/Ig notably harder than CrIg?

The game provides a list of spell effects that act as guidelines for each of the Techniques & Forms. How far do you need to define it at this point before the meta-competitive bullshitting becomes as valid as Pun-Pun?
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I have never had any GREAT difficulty in judging spontaneous magic, but in play it can be annoying to figure out on the fly. It's true that it's only playable if you establish some kind of consensus understanding which will not hold for other groups, but in my experience that's never been a hindrance to actual play. The spell guidelines aren't meant to define the bounds of Platonic Ideals, but they do need you to come to grips with them in some manner that's mutually agreeable.

This is a different task for a group to take on than the feel and frequency of non-combatant casualties in a superhero game, but only in name. It's a communal experience and it need concurrence from the players for that aspect of the game to work. If someone is going to demand that orange is a natural color for people, you're going to have to work something out, just like if Ed wants to play a fucking ninja again, well, you'll have to work something out.

Transportability of the experience is not really a big deal. It isn't like ArM5 is designed for convention play.
tussock wrote:It's full of wank about pre-scientific naturalism because that's the only bit of the game most of the players cared about. Messing around with trying to fuck up the game world by abusing stupid implications of ancient ideas...
This part can be true. For me it's generally a feature, not a bug.

Anyway, as for the game's positive parts:

...it encourages interesting story dynamics in that it's pretty rare to have lots of magi with overlapping skill sets in a single story. More often, it's one or two magi and a horde of mundanes played by the other players, leading to a necessary sharing of the spotlight.

...it has a really extensive Pretty Princess Dress-up components, from lab design to spell research to item creation to downtime/labtime utilization. If that isn't your thing then you're not going to like the magi part so much.

...I enjoy the constant call-backs to Western post-Hellenic/Roman myth. Anime-fuelled high fantasy is awesome but I appreciate the shift in genre tropes, what with the feel of the Divine and Infernal. Again, if you're not into medieval theology or myth, or romanticism about those topics, the game isn't going to charm you as much.

...the scope is temporally long. Seasons and years of character's lives allow a progression and arc of character development that most games don't explicitly encourage.

Those are the high points, for me.
Last edited by mean_liar on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.