Ars Magica

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Daniel wrote:Everything in rpg land boils down to personal preference on some level.

And no Virgil I said earlier in this thread:" This is a very important part of MY Ars Magica fun**.".

No backtracking, 'cause no tracking.
Fuck your fun: it gets in the way of having a game everyone can get on the same page with, or even use parts of the rules effectively.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

I'd like to point out that with my group (for a game of 2 years) Aristotelian vs Newtonian physics never even became a thing because I mainly just ignored anything like that in Ars Magica in the first place and used common sense. None of my players read the rule book to the point where they would even notice I wasn't explicitly following the rules.

If I ever come across a big chunk of change, I'd buy the Ars Magica IP and try and make a better game, it's really not that hard to. The game needs mechanical simplification in many places, reworking combat, and a reworked setting that is logically consistent with simple and much improved, believable explanations on why magi haven't changed the world.

The main appeal of the game is to play wizards in a fantasy version of medieval europe with a dose of logistics thrown in. And as said by others, many other games can do that quite well already. Ars Magica needs to give a credible reason why it should be chosen over other games.
Last edited by Heaven's Thunder Hammer on Fri May 13, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Journeyman

Post by Daniel »

Mask_De_H wrote:
Fuck your fun: it gets in the way of having a game everyone can get on the same page with, or even use parts of the rules effectively.
:nonono:
No Mask, I'll defend my right to have fun against you and Virgil and Frank and the rest of the micropenis brigade here on the Den.

I believe in the having a talk about the expectations people have for a given rpg campaign school of making things work. Rules are important, but they are a tool, not the first and last resort.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Daniel, I complained about objective flaws in the rules. I was neither talking nor caring about how you run your game. You come in trying to explain that it's supposed to be like that, and I should go play GURPS if all I wanted was wizards in medieval Europe. That is not the rhetoric of someone who feels their arbitrarily enforced personal biases of half-remembered medieval history is just a personal campaign preference.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

virgil wrote:Yes, it does say something about the game. You made the claim that inconsistently applied Aristotelian physics is necessary for Ars Magica to be Ars Magica. You seem to have back-tracked this statement to be that of personal preference, where it belongs.
I don't think that's what Daniel is doing. They are sitting in the safe shell of personal preference, but then pretending personal preference is applicable to a game as a whole in order to get a word in. It's a win-win situation if you don't call Daniel out for being dishonest, because they can feel good about the response and retreat to "personal preference" as soon as you reveal an obvious flaw in their argument/

An analogy might be something like "House painting companies should bring ladders because houses can be tall" to which Daniel would respond "BUT MY HOUSE IS SHORT". The argument is obviously nonsense, and it can be safely ignored.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Fri May 13, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

...You Lost Me wrote:An analogy might be something like "House painting companies should bring ladders because houses can be tall" to which Daniel would respond "BUT MY HOUSE IS SHORT". The argument is obviously nonsense, and it can be safely ignored.
I'm going to try to remember this analogy for future use. As a mnemonic, Daniel is going to be known as "short house" in my mind from here on.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

HTH wrote:If I ever come across a big chunk of change, I'd buy the Ars Magica IP and try and make a better game, it's really not that hard to. The game needs mechanical simplification in many places, reworking combat, and a reworked setting that is logically consistent with simple and much improved, believable explanations on why magi haven't changed the world.
Here's the thing: what does the Ars Magica IP actually get you? Many of the games from the eighties actually own basically nothing. You can't own game mechanics; and you can't own stat, skill, or spell names if they are normal words. You could rewrite the entire Ars Magica book in your own words and sell it for money as long as you changed what proper names aren't historical. And you know what? The Order of Hermes is historical!

The Ars Magica IP, and I mean the whole thing, entitles you to use... some of the house and covenant names. Not even all of them, because some of them have historical names you could use anyway and some of the names were permanently transfered to White Wolf. Everything else you might want to put into an Ars Magica edition is something you could put into your own heartbreaker. You can even have a House Flambeau if you want because that is a normal word.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Honestly, the solution for Daniel is to just play natural philosophers and rattle off his 12 facts in character when applicable, and no one giving any shits about it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

FrankTrollman wrote:
HTH wrote:If I ever come across a big chunk of change, I'd buy the Ars Magica IP and try and make a better game, it's really not that hard to. The game needs mechanical simplification in many places, reworking combat, and a reworked setting that is logically consistent with simple and much improved, believable explanations on why magi haven't changed the world.
Here's the thing: what does the Ars Magica IP actually get you? Many of the games from the eighties actually own basically nothing. You can't own game mechanics; and you can't own stat, skill, or spell names if they are normal words. You could rewrite the entire Ars Magica book in your own words and sell it for money as long as you changed what proper names aren't historical. And you know what? The Order of Hermes is historical!

The Ars Magica IP, and I mean the whole thing, entitles you to use... some of the house and covenant names. Not even all of them, because some of them have historical names you could use anyway and some of the names were permanently transfered to White Wolf. Everything else you might want to put into an Ars Magica edition is something you could put into your own heartbreaker. You can even have a House Flambeau if you want because that is a normal word.

-Username17
Frank......... Good point actually, I don't really have a rebuttal at all, I guess the spell names are trademarks/copyrighted? But as you say, the mechanics aren't. Most of the house names are stupid anyway, though I'm not sure my own would sound any better.

From the 5th ed Core book:
Copyright 2011 Trident, Inc. d/b/a Atlas Games. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this work by any means without written permission from the publisher, except short excerpts for the purpose of reviews, is expressly prohibited.

Ars Magica, Mythic Europe, Covenants, and Charting New Realms of Imagination are trademarks of Trident, Inc. Order of Hermes, Tremere, and Doissetep are trademarks of White Wolf, Inc. and are used with permission.
Some of the supplements trademark other names related to the game:
Ars Magica, Mythic Europe, The Mysteries, Houses of Hermes: Mystery Cults, Covenants,
Guardians of the Forests, Houses of Hermes: True Lineages, Realms of Power: The Divine,
The Broken Covenant of Calebais, and Charting New Realms of Imagination are trademarks of
Trident, Inc.
That's the titles of the supplements, and I do believe the word "Covenant" as a name for a group of wizards produces more confusion than anything else. Of the few people I've played with who actually knew the word thought it was an archaic legal term for agreements/contracts and is in a religious context as well.

If I win the lottery , or for whatever reason, can't work a regular job every again and can afford to make elf game rules and am ok making $200 if I'm lucky, I'll do it. ;) The most I might do realistically is post my house rules on the board here and on atlas's game site and let people rip them up.
Last edited by Heaven's Thunder Hammer on Sat May 14, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

HTH wrote:That's the titles of the supplements
Yes. Intellectual property kicks in for two things for Ars Magica: Copyright and Trademarks. Copyright is for exact text. You can write rules and setting that are similar or even exactly the same as Ars Magica's, but you have to write it. If you copypasta the exact text from an Ars Magica book, that's plagiarism academically but it's also legally a Copyright violation. Trademarks are for identifiable product identity. You can write a book that covers the same topic as a specific Ars Magica book by Atlas Games, but if you don't make it clear that it is in fact a different book by a different company you are violating their trademark.

So you could have your fourth estates called "Covenants" (not that you'd particularly want to, but you could), and you could write a book about them for your game. And that book could provide all the same information as the book "Covenants" by Atlas Games and even have a similar order of provided information. It just has to be readily identifiable that it is not this book:

Which should be easy enough to do. That's a very specific and quite bad looking cover.

-Username17
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Frank - thanks for the pointers. Really, I think the biggest value of purchasing the Ars Magica IP would be for the name "Ars Magica" itself. Given that the line has been losing a small amount of money for long enough that Atlas Games is no longer going to publish books for the game, I'm not sure that the name is in fact, worth much at all. I've been on many an other RPG board where people have heard the name, but have never bothered to look up the game.

In some ways, I might be better off (were I to do so), just riffing on the title and making an RPG called "The Art of Magic".
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Heaven's Thunder Hammer wrote:Really, I think the biggest value of purchasing the Ars Magica IP would be for the name "Ars Magica" itself.

Fun fact, Ars Magica is just a Latin phrase. You can totally use it as long as you don't use Atlas' specific font/logo/whatever.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Fun fact, Ars Magica is just a Latin phrase. You can totally use it as long as you don't use Atlas' specific font/logo/whatever.
I don't think that's how Trademarks work. "Apple" is just an English word, but you can't use it just because you changed the font.

I think the big deal is using the same name as an existing product in the same industry. You could totally make an "Ars Magica" food processor or whatever, but if you make an RPG you would need to buy/lease the rights to the name from the company that owns the IP.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

You might be able to get away with making an Ars Magica game that was clearly distinct from the existing Ars Magica IP, for example if you made it a vaguely Call of Cthulhu-esque game about modern day occultists digging up ancient, forbidden secrets, with no grogs, no wizard monasteries, a completely different magic system, etc. etc. But then, y'know, you'd be working on a completely different project.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

phlapjackage wrote:I think the big deal is using the same name as an existing product in the same industry. You could totally make an "Ars Magica" food processor or whatever, but if you make an RPG you would need to buy/lease the rights to the name from the company that owns the IP.
Bingo. You can use the Latin phrase "Ars Magica" anywhere and in any way you want so long as it does not infringe on the trademark. And that means you can't use the term in the same context nor can you imitate the appearance of the logo. So you can't call your fantasy RPG "Ars Magica," but you could call a roller coaster "Ars Magica." You could call your fantasy RPG "Art of Magic," but you couldn't call it "ARTofMAGIC" in a font that looked like the font that Atlas Games wrote "ARS MAGICA" on their front covers in.
For example, this did not fly as it violated the trademark of Dungeons & Dragons.
This, on the other hand, was fine even though it's very obviously derivative of D&D. Different words, different font. Gygax lost both fights because that is how trademarks work.

-Username17