Dreamscarred Press, ToB:Bo9S and Pathfinder

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:It's still third-party material, so who gives a shit?
Tome is third-party material, you fucking heretic.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

I'm shocked with how bad the Book of 9 Swords thing is, considering how easy it is to port into Pathfinder, if it even needs porting, as the classes seem strong, balanced and fun (at least for physical combatants).

Furthermore, I thought these guys did a nice job with WOTC psionics material and even managed to breathe new life into formerly intriguing yet piss weak to the point of being unplayable classes like Soulknife.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

nockermensch wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:It's still third-party material, so who gives a shit?
Tome is third-party material, you fucking heretic.
Tome is homebrew material mate, the only thing lower on the totem pole than third-party material.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Haven't checked out the PoW classes yet, but I took a look at the maneuvers.

Some are a straight-up improvement on Bo9S - the Scarlet Throne 9th is +100 damage and paralyze for d4r, for instance.

However, some of them seem less potent - I can't be sure, since there's no direct mirror to Devoted Spirit, but the healing maneuvers don't seem to be as good. Which would fit with Pathfinder's "unlimited healing is the devil" stance.

And I'm not seeing anything multiplicative like Time Stands Still or War Leader's Charge.

Teleportation maneuvers still exist, I was wondering if they'd feel compelled to nerf those, but they haven't.

On the new side, actual ranged maneuvers!
Last edited by Ice9 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Ice9 wrote:Haven't checked out the PoW classes yet, but I took a look at the maneuvers.

Some are a straight-up improvement on Bo9S - the Scarlet Throne 9th is +100 damage and paralyze for d4r, for instance.

However, some of them seem less potent - I can't be sure, since there's no direct mirror to Devoted Spirit, but the healing maneuvers don't seem to be as good. Which would fit with Pathfinder's "unlimited healing is the devil" stance.

And I'm not seeing anything multiplicative like Time Stands Still or War Leader's Charge.

Teleportation maneuvers still exist, I was wondering if they'd feel compelled to nerf those, but they haven't.

On the new side, actual ranged maneuvers!
Yes, things in PoW are randomly stronger or weaker than in the B9S. Pounce is a 2nd level power (and a boost, IIRC), but their IHS is very nerfed.

I dislike how sloppily edited the thing is. The text for Maneuvers Readied from a Warlord literally begins with:
PoW literally wrote:A warlord can ready four of his six starting maneuvers, but as he advances in level and learns more maneuvers, he must choose which maneuvers to ready.
Do you see the strangeness there? Warlords already need to choose maneuvers to ready starting from level 1 (4 of 6). The "but" is there because the authors copied and pasted from the warblade, that starts knowing and readying 4 exactly maneuvers. This is a very bad sign about their quality, right at the start.

On the good side, the Black Thorn Knights and their infernal discipline are very flavorful (for villains), and I'll be stealing them for the next campaign.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

mage hunter characters are always kind of funny because you don't see "fighter hunter" PrC's, largely because the skillset to stop a fighter in its tracks is available by default to most classes.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

nockermensch wrote: On the good side, the Black Thorn Knights and their infernal discipline are very flavorful (for villains), and I'll be stealing them for the next campaign.
I do agree on the flavor and read them when you mentioned them.

On a side note, it cracks me up that in the SRD, the word "initiative" (used in a sentence like "agenda") was hyperlinked to initiative in the combat section of the SRD. Also, "judgment" (as in "sound judgment") links to an Inquisitor class ability.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.