[LP] Robin of Sherwood : The King's Demon

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

You strike out on foot for the villages most likely to have been used as places to rest or eat by Sir Jean. The soil of the forest feels soft and springy and you run for a wehile, heading for Fenigley. There is a good tavern there, run by a man called Warin. Once, you and Little john saved his son from being caught for poaching. Warin has been friendly to you ever since and is bound to have noted the passing of Sir Jean.

It is late afternoon when you approach the village. You are crossing a field when you see a stranger in a tattered cloak, running from osmeone or something.

You have to approach the stranger across a field. The stranger sees you coming, turns and runs away from you towards a nearby spinney. You sprint down the field yourself and follow the stranger around the clump of trees.

You practically run into two burley men, who wear rough clothing and each carry a staff. They look like serfs or villeins, men who work the land for themselves and their lord. The fugitive has been grabbed by one of them and you see that it is a peasant woman. Her tattered clothing and wind-blown hair now hang limply and she looks quit defeated. The other man eyes both you and the woman carefully.

'Well, Tom, I think we've found out what was disturbin' my 'ens. This lass's been trying to steal my eggs. I'll warrant you. And this wild chap,' he says, pointing at you, 'looks like 'e's up to no good neither.' The man brandishes his staff at you.
DO YOU:
  • FIGHT HIM TO TRY TO RESCUE THE WOMAN?
  • TRY TO PERSUADE HIM NOT TO ATTACk YOU?
Last edited by zach on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corsair114
Master

Post by Corsair114 »

Let's fight 'em.
The rules are the game, without them you're just playing cowboys and indians with a side of craps. Image
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Robin is a friend to the common man, and so will give them a chance not to be thrashed. Talk.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Talk it out.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
zach
1st Level

Rescue Ellen

Post by zach »

'I am Robin Hood,' you declare. 'You have no quarrel with me, my friends. What has this poor woman done for you to treat her so?' You hope you calming words will defuse this volatile situation.

(Robin rolls 2 and a 4 on two dice, subtract our Charm skill of five gives us a Charm Roll Result of 1)

'Robin Hood, eh?' the farmer replies. 'Well, I've 'eard a lot of good said about you. You've done us ordinary folk more favours than the Sheriff has, that's for certain. And that girl didn't seem to 'ave stolen anything, so I s'pose she might as well be left alone. No, you're right, we've no quarrel with you.' He turns to his friend. 'Come on, Ralph. May Herne protect you, Robin.'

The farmers stride off. When you turn to the woman, you see that she has fainted.

You realise that your special skill can relieve some of the exhausted woman's pain and fatigue. You swiftly gather some herbs and she soon appears ready to move on again. You help her to her feet. She sways slightly, and you steady her with an arm.

'There,' you say. 'Don't be alarmed. I'm a friend. I'm Robin Hood.' The woman gasps as if surprised, then hope seems to come back to her and lights her eyes.

'By Our Lady's graces. She has led me to you. I am Ellen, from Nottingham Castle. Lady Marion's friend. But we must get away from here, Robin. There are guards looking for me...'

You take her by the hand and run with her away from the scene of the confrontation. As you run, pausing every so often to let Ellen catch her breath, she slowly unfolds her tale to you.

Ellen tells you why she has had to flee Nottingham Castle:
     'Well, it's all down to that Sir Jean de Melusine. Nothing's been the same since he arrived. He got the Sheriff all upset by telling him all sorts of schemes he knew about, like his attempt to claim some of the King's land in the forest near Fenigley. Old Sourface has been in a foul mood and no mistake.

'Anyway, last evening there was this feast for Sir jean, and Abbot Hugo, the Sheriff's conniving brother, came over. Well, we served up these three roast lambs, lovely plump and juicy ones they were, with the meat just falling off the bone. The Abbott mentioned, rather boastfully, that they came from "his" demesne of Haxhey. Not that it's his, but it is administered by one of the Abbey's priests. Then he adds that they will be celebrating Haxhey Ram Day there very shortly, it being the season, if you get my drift.

'Well, when this French nobleman casually remarks that he'll pay them a visit, I got a bit interested and was sort of hanging about near the high table. Suddebly, Sir Jean looked round, straight at me, and gives me this horrible look. Ooh, I shuddered, I can tell you. It was like somebody walking over my grave. And he asked why I wasn't filling his cup and doing my job.

'I was frightened then. I mean, the Sheriff never would care what happened to us and after being given that look by him I was sure it was time to get out of there. My sister's always said I could go back to her village and live with her - you never know, I might even marry - so I went off to the steward and told him as how I'd be leaving.

'But I couldn't stop myself from having a peep into Sir Jean's chamber before I gathered my things up. And the stuff in there - weird it was, and not all of it natural, I should say. Funny candles and bits of metal. I thought I'd bring you something, so I opened this chest and there were all these fancy cloaks and things in it, and between two I found this.'

She hands you a disc-shaped slice of bone or horn, which is engraved with five interwoven branches. It is fairly worn, and looks old. Around the edge are strange markings.

'Then, as you know, I had to flee the castle, with guards following behind because of what Sir Jean had discovered, although how he found out I don't know. But thank Our Lady I'm here and safe now, and soon I'll be back with my own folk.'

Ellen goes off while you consider your options. Sir Jean de Melusine has mentioned the village of Haxhey, but you don't know what it can mean to him. Perhaps, if he is going to Haxhey, you could set an ambush for him.

MARK IVORY DISC ON SPECIAL POSSESSIONS LIST.
DO YOU
  • HEAD STRAIGHT FOR HAXHEY?
  • VISIT SOME OF THE VILLAGES HE MAY HAVE PASSED THROUGH?
  • SET A TRAP FOR SIR JEAN, IF YOUR FRIENDS ARE WITH YOU?
    [/i]
Last edited by zach on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

Robin decides to go to Haxhey:

You soon reach the village of Haxhey which lies beyond the eaves of Sherwood in the rolling fields of the countryside.

The villagers are not in the fields today, however, but are bustling about the village from house to house, evidently preparing for some special event. Most look happy, but there are one or two worried brows, and one woman has a marked face, which she tries to hide from you. You're curious to find out more, and see if it has any bearing on the recent strange events.

(Robin is with his companions)

Outside the church you meet an old friend, Father Cedric, the priest of this village. His arms are full of blossom-laden branches, which he drops in surprise when he recognizes you.
     'Well bless my soul!', he exclaims. 'Robin Hood! How good to see you again. And on such an auspicious day - we're all busy getting ready for tomorrow.'
     He continues chattering while he collects up the scattered branches. He realizes that you aren't completely aware of what's happening.
     'Haxhey Ram Day tomorrow - that's our feast day. Sort of holiday.' He grunts as he unbends from picking up his flowers. 'There's the Parade of the Lamb in the morning, then the Hood Game in the evening the Fire of Banishing is lit on Hoden Hill. But I'm sure you'll stay, won't you?'
DO YOU:
  • WANT TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ABBOT HUGO'S INIQUITOUS TAXES AND HELP THE PEOPLE OF HAXHEY?
  • GO OFF AND TRY TO SET AN AMBUSH FOR SIR JEAN ON THE NOTTINGHAM ROAD? (This links to the same destination as the similar option in the posting above)
  • DISGUISE YOURSELF AND GO TO NOTTINGHAM ALONE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT SIR JEAN DE MELUSINE?
Corsair114
Master

Post by Corsair114 »

Guess we can afford to be a man of the people and find out about those taxes.
The rules are the game, without them you're just playing cowboys and indians with a side of craps. Image
zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

Once you are inside the house, Father Cedric talks about the celebrations tomorrow and complains of the Abbot's imposition.

'For some reason he's taken it into his head to put an extra tax on us this year, especially for this holiday. I really pity the villagers. Many of them barely scrape a living as it is, what with the annual tithe, the rents to the Abbey, the hundred tax the Sheriff takes and all the special levies raised by the King to fight his waes in Normandy. There's many as'll go hungry this year, or end up as serfs, unable to pay their debts.'

You ask Father Cedric for more information about the tax-collectors, telling him you might be able to think of a way to get the taxes back for the village.

'Robin!' he exclaims. 'The Abbot is my superior. Although his commands are hard on the villagers, I would damn myself as a sinner if I were to aid you in a villainous deed, even if your intentions were good.'

DO YOU:
  • SEEK SOME OTHER VILLAGER TO HELP YOU FIND THE TAX-COLLECTORS?
  • TRY TO PERSUADE FATHER CEDRIC? IF SO, MAKE A CHARM ROLL:
         0 OR LESS     =     SUCCESS
         1 OR MORED     =     FAILED TO CHARM
Robin's charm skill is a 5 so we would need to roll 5 or less on 2 dice to be successful.

Corsair114
Master

Post by Corsair114 »

Let's poke about and see if one of the other villagers can help us.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, let's look for other villagers.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

Out in the village square, where tables and benches are being set, you spy the woman with the bruised face. You approach her and sperak kindly to her, asking who struck her.
     'Twas those men,' she says vehemently. Your guess is correct - she was assaulted by the Abbot's hired tax-collectors. 'I tried to stop them taking the money. It was all we had, me and my man Perric, and he's sick. We were going to save it and give it to the monks at Croxton in the hope they'd make him well again with their holy cross. . .'

The woman starts crying and you comfort her. Then you ask her if she knows where the tax-collectors might be found.
     'Yes, that I do. They were going on to Calnestone and Hockton before getting themselves back to their abbey. I overheard them. You might just be able to meet them on the other side of Hockton.'
     You thank her for the information and start planning. You wish to help all the villagers and this poor woman in particular.

(Robin gives the lady a Silver Crucifix to gain 1 Power Point

(Robin is with his companions)

You set off immediately for Hockton. It is not far, and after skirting the village you soon find the road again and look for somewhere to set an ambush for the tax-collectors.
     While you search close to the shadow of Sherwood Forest, your sight is drawn to the majestic trees on the rocky slopes. Suddenly there is a mysterious glow, which grows brighter until in its midst you discern the horned figure of Herne the Hunter.
     'Robin i' the Hood. Do not be afraid to face the evil in the fire. Use the Power of Light and Darkness that is in you. Who holds the skull? Where you see one, there will be two. Bright steel and brighter spirit in turn shall overcome them.'
     Herne is gone. Pondering his words, you continue your preparations for an ambush.

You find a good site, and not a moment too soon. In a couple of minutes you hear horses coming along the road from Hockton. There are three mailed guards flanking a cart drawn by a mule and driven by a black-habited monk.
     With whispered commands, you direct your companions' fire against the two outriders, while you shoot at the leader.

MAKE A RANGED COMBAT ROLL: RANGE NUMBER OF THE MAN = 4

Robin rolls 8 (5 and 3) subtract 8 = 0. Using the Combat Roll Table with Range Number of 4 gives the man damage of BB (Two body hits),

So Robin does't knock him out - Robin and his companions rush out and attack the man:
Robin rolls 9 (3 and 6) subtract H-t-H skill of 9 = 0.

Robin receives one body blow. The Man receives two body blows and is knocked out...

The rider slumps unconcious to the ground. You leave him and turn your attention to the monk, who is cowering in the cart. He practically thrusts the tax money into your hands from where it was concealed beneath some sacks of grain which are also being taken to the Abbey.
     You have no quarrel with the monk and you let hom on his way; after all, he'll be able to tell Abbot Hugo exactly who robbed him, which adds to the enjoyment of a good piece of work. Two bags of silver will keep the villagers for a long time.
     Suddenly you get a tingling sensation in you spine and you feel something is wrong.

Robin makes a Perception roll and needs to score zero or less.

(Robin rolls and scores (2+4=6) less his skill of 4 gives a result of 2:

You arrive back in Haxhey in the early evening. You hand over the silver to Aelmer, the headman of the village. He thanks you and says, 'I'm sorry I wasn't here to greet you earlier, Robin, but we've been collecting wood for the bonfire and setting it on Hoden Hill ready for tomorrow. Why don't you come in for some of my wife's lovely mutton hotpot. We cab all afford to eat a little better now, thanks to you.'
     After the excellent meal, he sees to the redistribution of the tax money, leaving you to swap tales around the fireside.
     You sing a humerous tale of King Richard and Prince John, which you once heard recited by a troubadour you assisted, Alan a Dale. The villagers love the song, and even the children laugh at the sardonic portrayal of feeble, wicked Prince John.
     The merriment is interrupted by the sudden slam of the door. There in the doorway is Father Cedric; he is out of breath and there is an ugly weal across his scalp.
     'Help me, Robin,' he gasps, staggering into the room.

You rush to his aid. As you cradle his head in your arms, he manages to crak out a few words.
     'Soldiers, Robin. Two of them. They're . . . in the house. I wouldn't tell them where it was . . . ah . . . stop them . . .'
     He passes out and you leave him to the gentle ministrations of Aelmer's wife. Calling the others, you rush over to Father Cedric's house. A number of the villagers bravely follow you.

DO YOU:
  • RUN INTO THE HOUSE AND TRY TO SURPRISE THE PRIEST'S ASSAILANTS?
  • WAIT OUTSIDE FOR THEM TO EMERGE, THEN AMBUSH THEM?
Corsair114
Master

Post by Corsair114 »

Charge!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Ambush!
zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

I favour the ambush . . .
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sure then, let's ambush.
zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

There is plenty of atmosphere in this story isn't there ?
zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

When you are outside the house, one of the villagers warns you that the priest's house has a back door as well as the entrance you are watching. You send a few of the abler men round the back to keep watch. If you have your companions with you, pick one to go with them.

The sounds of bashing and tearing go on for some while, then stop. Everything goes quiet and you strain your ears.

Robin sends Nasir round the back.

MAKE A PERCEPTION ROLL TO BEAT -1.

(Robin rolls a 6 and a 3 = 9) Subtract his Perception of 4 gives 5.

Only when cries of alarm and then screams of pain echo from behind the house do you realise that the guards have evaded you.
     You run as fast as possible to the back of Cedric's house, where you see a sprawled figure among cowering villagers.
     'Two soldiers.' he explains. 'They just burst out t'house and rushed us, afore we could do anything, a-wielding their swords like devils.'

THE COMPANION YOU SENT ROUND THE BACK HAS BEEN STRUCK DOWN AND BADLY WOUNDED.

DO YOU:
  • STOP AND TRY TO HEAL THE VICTIM?
  • PURSUE THE GUARDS INTO THE NIGHT?
zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

I am going to Pursue the guards into the night as feel Robin needs to get to the root of what is going on around this part of Nottingham . . .
zach
1st Level

In the Village

Post by zach »

Changed my mind... Robin puts his friends first....

MAKE A HEALING ROLL. YOU MUST DO THIS WITH YOUR OWN HEALING SKILL: NO ONE ELSE CAN HELP THIS TIME

Robin Rolls 3 and a 1 then subtracts healing score of 4: gives 0 which amounts to healing 1 body and 1 other.

He begins to recover. If he is one of your companions remove him from your list: he will be to ill to help further. (Nasir removed from list.)

Robin decides to follow the soldiers...

The guards are nowhere in sight; the dark night obscures all. However, the two men appear to have run off through rough land and trees towards a nearby road. You crash through the undergrowth, relying on speed rather than stealth, and hoping Herne will guide you.

You soon reach the path you remembered, but there is no sign of the fleeing men. Your only chance is to scout around for some track or trail.

Robin makes a Woodcraft roll to get -1 or less

Robin rolls 4 and a 1 then subrtracts his woodcraft skill of 4 to give a result of 0.

We have the choice of using a point of Power but I choose not to...

There is no sign of the guards and you have to return to the village before you become lost in the night-shrouded countryside. Still, perhaps you managed to disturb the men before they found what they were looking for.

Back in Haxhey, you encounter Aelmer's wife putting Father Cedric to bed. She has a healing ability score of 9 and will aid you if no one better is present. Then you fall into a bed yourself - a pile of rugs by the priest's hearth - and hope for a better day tomorrow.

The next morning you awake feeling somewhat better. Aelmer's wife has a Healing ability score of 9 and will help you if no one better is present. You have spent the night, at least the remainder of it, in Father Cedric's house. He has tried to tidy it up after the previous night's raid, but comes to you after you have breakfasted on honey scones and small beer.

'It's gone, Robin - they must have taken it. The horn of Cernunnos. I hid it behind a stone in the bedroom hearth and it's gone. How can we have the festival without the horn?' Father Cedric is almost distraught with grief at the loss of what is obviously a revered relic of the village.

The morning is bright and augurs well for the festival planned by the people of Haxhey. Few stir in the village: they are making their own preparations in their homes.

Robin is with his companions

You confer with your friends, sitting at one of the oaken tables which have been set between the houses in the middle of the village, ready for the afternoon's feast.

Aelmer joins you with a couple of the other villagers. You wonder what else might happen after last night's attack, and some are in favour of hunting down Sir Jean before he can get here. Others, including Aelmer, would rather see you stay in case more trouble arrives.

As you sit and talk, you notice Father Cedric going across to his church for the morning service. He has to use a walking-stick, but otherwise seems much better.

• STAY IN THE VILLAGE?
  • SEEK OUT SIR JEAN?
Last edited by zach on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

After all this trouble in Sherwood Forest I think we will stay around in the village for a while. Hope you agree, here is how it panned out:

It is now mid-morning and, after a litte light refreshment provided by one of the goodwives, you notice the children of the village assembling in front of the Moot Hall. Aelmer's daughter Cerys, looking pretty in a yellow smock and ribbons, goes to the pen in the centre of the square to take out the lamb. She has been granted the privilege of leading the Parade of the Lamb.

All the villagers stand outside their homes, watching the gay procession move off. The children walk in pairs with branches and flowers held high. Some beat drums or ring little bells, and a couple of older children play flutes.

As you stand watching, someone touches you on the shoulder. You turn around and see Alison of Wickham. Alison looks very distressed: 'Robin - it's Matthew and his friends. Edward's gone away to the Hundred Court at Leaford to give evidence and now Matthew's vanished. He and his friends have been running off quite a bit this last week or so, and Jane's son told her they were planning to play a trick on Sir Guy of Gisburne when he goes through the forest on his way to St Mary's. I don't blame you, but you've put ideas into his head and now I don't know what trouble he'll end up in. Oh Robin, I'm afraid for my son.' Alison looks strainesd and on the verge of breaking down. One of the village women, Elizabeth, comforts her.

DO YOU:
  • STAY TO PROTECT THE VILLAGE, TRUSTING TO MATTHEW'S LUCK TO KEEP OUT OF TROUBLE?
  • GATHER YOUR FRIENDS AND LEAVE WITH ALISON?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We've stayed in the village long enough that I think it's worth protecting.
zach
1st Level

Stay in Haxhey Village

Post by zach »

While it goes against Robins motto of helping the underdog, we stay in the village as I think this might be a trick by the gamebook to try and get us to leave.

You explain to Alison the need for you to stay here and protect the village from the malevolent attentions of Sir Jean de Melusine. She looks put out and a little upset, but realises that Haxhey's need may be greater than her own. Gisburne is unlikely to catch the boys and even if he does, they will probably just be thrashed - as Edward will thrash Matthew anyway, once he learns of his misbehaviour.
     However, you could send one of your companions into the forest to track down the boys before Sir Guy runs into them.

IF YOU DECIDE TO SEND SOMEONE, MARK THEM OFF YOUR CHARACTER SHEET.

I like the way we get the option of sending someone after making the choice not to help ! - Robin sends Much to help...

Alison leaves and you turn your attention back to the parade. Cerys and the other children have already walked around the square and past the church, and are now heading down a lane towards some of the nearer farms. The adults follow from the square and you join them.

The lane passes between two rows of pollarded willows. As Cerys walks ahead with the beribboned lamb, a dark-robed figure suddenly jumps out from behind the trees and snatches the silken leash from her.

The figure is a maniac-eyed man, dressed in the manner of a travelling monk or preacher. His wild hair and extravagant gestures draw all eyes to him, as he roughly hauls the lamb over and grabs it.

He holds the bleating creature aloft and cries out: 'People of Haxhey. This is an idol - a blasphemy in the eyes of the Lord. When ye worship an animal, ye sin and profane. Deny it not, worshippers of Satan! The Evil One takes many guises, of which this creature is but one. See its hoofed feet! These be feet of the Devil!

'Repent ye now, before ye're damned through all eternity! Give up these practices and bow down before the one true God.'

The man looks ready to throttle the poor lamb, and has frightened all the villagers with his fiery speech.

DO YOU:
  • RUN AT HIM TO PUT AN END TO HIS ANNOYING INTERFERENCE IN THE PARADE?
  • TRY TO SHOUT HIM DOWN AND PERSUADE HIM TO LEAVE HAXHEY IN PEACE? IF SO, MAKE A CHARM ROLL:
    (SUCCESS ON A 0 OR LESS)
  • IF TUCK IS WITH YOU, YOU MAY LET TUCK ARGUE FOR THE VILLAGERS.

Robin lets Tuck argue for the villagers - Robin will struggle to make the CHARM roll and the Tuck option is the most gentle one for dealing with this crazy guy

Tuck tries to reason with the malicious preacher: 'By St Thomas, Brother, you know not what you say. These folk are good and mindful of the Lord above. They do not worship any false gods.'

The preacher puts down the lamb, but turns upon Tuck: 'Fie upon ye, hedge priest! How can ye defend these renegades and heretics? Unless ye be one of them yourself. For I knew of monks who've consorted with devils and demons. . .'
     The preacher's words fan your anger, especially when you remember Tuck's help in defeating Morgwyn oof Ravenscar, the Hounds of Lucifer and the evil Baron de Belleme.

DO YOU:
  • INTERVENE IN THE ARGUMENT?
  • THREATEN THE PREACHER YOURSELF?
  • LET TUCK CONTINUE?

Robin lets Tuck continue:

Tuck answers the preacher ably, telling him of the battles he and you have fought against evil manifestations of the Devil in many parts of the country, from the north of England to the southern borders of Wales. When he runs out of breath you step in, speaking commandingly. Revealing who you are, you shame him and refute his base accusations.

From this point on is where we would have been directed if we had rolled a 0 or less on the earlier CHARM roll

The preacher is taken aback by your stern words and appearance, He looks uncertain as to what to do next, so you grasp him firmly and tug him over to where Aelmer and his wife wait with the villagers.

'Are these people idol-worshippers and demons?' you ask.

The children shuffle their feet; dressed in their best, bright clothes, they resemble nothing so much as a choir of cherubs. You march the preacher down the lane to the church just behind the village square. Father Cedric emerges; he is surprised to see another priest, and especially one being roughly held.

'Bless you, Brother, and you, Robin, but where's the need to hold a man of the faith thus?'

'There,' you say to the preacher. 'Do you still imagine you have business in this village?'

The preacher looks shamefaced and straightens his habit. Muttering goodbyes, he walks stiffly out of the other side of the square.

You restore the lamb to Cerys, and the parade continues.

MAKE A PERCEPTION ROLL:
  • SCORE 1 OR LESS

Robin Rolls 2 and 4. Subtract 4 gives 2. So robin misses on the Perception roll.

You have the irritating sensation of having failed to notice something important. Shrugging it off, you follow the children's parade back to the Moot Hall, where they are reclaimed by their parents and shepherded back to their homes, well out if the rough-and-tumble of the Hood Game. The players are already assembling for the game, with the Haxhey men being joined by those of Elsdon, Calnestone and Torneshey.

Suddenly a shout goes up: 'Silence for the King Boggan!'

A hush descends on the assembled villagers, who stand expectantly. All eyes rest on a figure in scarlet who leaps on to a table and bangs it with his huge shepherd's crook. The baggy breeches with yellow stitching proclaim his ceremonial importance. His face is covered by a hood and mask with eyeholes, but when he speaks you recognise the voice of Aelmer, Haxhey's headman.
     'Listen ye all to the telling of the rules. When the game shall begin, ye shall strive to carry the Hood to your village;s alehouse. Ye shall carry no weapon, nor shall ye use one. The village that captures the Hood shall win the Hood Game. if ye be tapped by a Boggan, ye shall desist, lest ye be beaten senseless. These are the rules of the Hood Game. Let it now begin.'

Another fellow dressed in red passes him a hood, bundled up and tied with straps. It is made of well-worn leather and looks as though it might have been used for the first Hood Game, back in the darkness of ages past. The King Boggan holds it aloft for all to see, shouting, 'Behold the Hood!'

DO YOU HAVE THE HORN OF CERNUNNOS?

Robin does not have the horn of Cernunnos, I hope this is not bad news for him

The villagers are looking around expectantly, as if waiting for some signal, and seem taken by surprise when the King Boggan hurls the hood high over their heads.

You've never witnesses such chaos before! When the Hood flies into the air, pandemonium breaks out among the villagers, as they jostle one another to be under the Hood when it lands.

It descends into a writhing clump of men and a shout goes up. For a while, villagers pile themselves ever higher in an attempt to grab the Hood and make off with it. There is a frantic scrummage until a man crawls and elbows his way out from underneath the mass of Hood-chasers. He looks as though he has been trampled by a herd of wild oxen, but still manages to pass the Hood to a friend before collapsing. As the man with the Hood makes off, the scrummage falls apart and the cry goes up. The Hood has been captured by an Elsdon man, and others from the village now do their best to hamper pursuers, by tipping,tackling and grabbing. Their man is a fine runner, and makes off across the fields towards the nearest woodland.

A few villagers have been crushed too badly to continue the game, but the rest give chase, some splitting away to try to head off the Elsdon man. The Boggans, in their quaint red garb and carrying large clubs, also split up and hurry after the Hood-chasers.

DO YOU JOIN IN THE HOOD GAME WITH THE MEN OF HAXHEY?

OTHERWIISE IF LITTLE JOHN IS WITH YOU, HE JOINS IN, ASKING YOU TO LOOK AFTER HIS STAFF. NOTE JOHN'S STAFF ON YOUR SPECIAL POSSESSIONS LIST.

IF YOU HAVEN'T JOINED IN THE HOOD GAME, DO YOU:
  • SIMPLY TRY TO FOLLOW THE PROGRESS OF THE GAME?
  • STAY IN THE VILLAGE?

Robin stays in the village but does not join in.

As the Haxhey team was rather short on numbers, all your male companions have been drafted into the side, and have raced off after the Hood.

Meanwhile, preparations continue for the afternoon's feast. You reflect wryly that the Hood Game was probably invented only to keep the more boisterous elements of the village's population from under the feet of those making the really important contributions to the festivities! Already mouth-watering smells and the delicate aromas of herbs and seasonings are wafting through the air, tantalizing your taste-buds.

It's a beautiful day, and you pick yourself a comfortable spot on the banks of the stream which flows past the village. Butterflies flit, the stream gurgles contentedly, and the pleasant warmth of a spring morning lulls you into a well-deserved snooze.

When you wake, the sun is higher in the sky, and you can hear excited squeals and cries from the town. Obviously the preparations are well advanced. You wander back to the bustle of the village square.

DO YOU HAVE JOHN'S STAFF?

Robin has John's Staff

A shout goes up among the villagers. A sharp-eyed boy has spotted some men running towards the village. You rush with the others to see who it is, and whether they have the Hood. You quickly make out the hulking frame of Little John pounding across the fields, the Hood seeming very small in his mighty grasp.

As you watch, two of his pursuers try to tackle him. They cling on for dear life as Little John continues to run, but they drop off when he hits them with the Hood.
     John puts on a burst of speed which is quite remarkable for such a huge man, thunders into the village and makes straight for the alehouse. The villagers cheer, and you hear Aelmer loudly calling for ale. By the time you enter the tavern, John has already downed a huge tankard of ale. He gets steadily more and more drunk as the Haxhey men arrive back to the alehouse to congratulate their champion.

The victory celebrations last over an hour, and when you leave to take your place at the feast it is without Little John, who is snoring fitfully on the floor of the alehouse!

DELETE LITTLE JOHN FROM YOUR LIST OF COMPANIONS, AND LITTLE JOHN'S STAFF FROM YOUR LIST OF POSSESSIONS

The feast is laid out on wooden tables decorated with wild flowers set in clay jugs. It is everything good that the country folk can muster. Perhaps it would not suit the table of a rich lord, for the Normans are used to beet, pheasant, venison, peacock and pike on their high tables, all flavoured with spices from the East. But for the villagers of Haxhey, the Ram Day feast keeps stomachs content for many days.

The centerpiece of each table is a whole roast lamb, plump and succulent, stuffed with rosemary and thyme picked by the stream that day. Then there is plenty of fresh, warm bread and hughe steaming jugs of stocks and sauces, all mixed with mashed or clouted vegetables, milk, butter and herbs. Marrows, turnips and onions baked in the fire lie racked up in troughs and platters and there are baskets of fresh fruit and vegetables all about.

As the villagers set to, Aelmer and his brother Herlmer pass up and down the crowded benches with tuns of ale, filling everyone's cup. More ale stands untouched on each groaning table, for the first draught of the feast must be the toast. When all have a full stoup, even the children, Aelmer cries: 'To Haxhey and her rams. God's blessing on both. And to Wulstan and Belward, slain this day in the Hood Game. May God have mercy on their souls!'

There is sadness among the villagers over the death of the two Boggans. But they know in their hearts that the men would wish them to celebrate the feast as usual, and to honour them in the form of a wake. Soon everyone is drinking, eating, laughing, shouting and exchanging good humour and good cheer. The feast lasts several hours before appetites begin to be sated.

The village square looks more like a battleground than a rural corner of England. Sprawled figures, felled by their own gluttony, are scattered among the debris of the feast. Bones, broken platters, trampled flowers, crusts of pies and loaves - all lie strewn in the well-trodden grass.

Most of the villagers have eaten their fill, consuming as much in one sitting as they might in two weeks of a hard winter. Now you realise how some get to be big enough to play the Hood Game!

By now, evening is drawing near and the sun is setting. It throws a red glow over the whole landscape; on fields of corn the breeze stirs undulating shadows between copper-headed stalks; in the trees starlings scream and twitter, wheeling and peppering the crimson haze with dark shapes. The sky hangs heavy with rolls and furls of cloid, which resemble blood-soaked fleeces flayed from some giant's flock.
     The villagers are gathering at one side of the square. They are preparing to go up to Hoden Hill and light thr bonfire that will become the fire of banishment. As you look round, there is no sign of Father Cedric, but one of the villagers explains: 'He'll come last, as the tailless Black Ram always does.'

DO YOU:
  • STAY BEHIND TO PROTECT FATHER CEDRIC?
  • GO UP HODEN HILL WITH THE OTHERS?

Robin stays behind to wait for Father Cedric.

NOTE ON YOUR CHARACTER SHEET THAT YOU ARE ALONE.

The villagers and your friends troop off up the hill, exhibiting a surprising degree of solemnity, considering their activities during the rest of the holiday. Every man, woman and child is silent as the informal procession leaves.

Soon the village is quiet and mysterious in the twilight. The last fading shades of red dwindle in the violet sky and to the east the first stars of the evening show in the deep indigo of night.

You are startled out of your reverie by Father Cedric calling to you. He is walking over to the little church and you follow to make sure he comes to no harm. Inside, light is provided by a number of candles. The cooler evening air sends a shiver down your spine.

'Can you give me a hand here, Robin?' asks Father Cedric. He is by the altar, apparantly trying to move it. Once yo go to help him the stone block is easily slid to one side, revealing a small hollow from which the priest withdraws a long bundle wrapped in black cloth. You help Cedric move the altar back.

He unwraps the bundle. It contains a long pole with a spoke arrangement at one end; a light yoke which he fixes across the pole near the spokes; a long black cloak which then hangs from the shoulders of the yoke; and finally an ancient yellowed skull with huge, curling, jet-black horns.

'Yes', says Father Cedric. 'The skull of the Black Ram.'

Father Cedric demonstrates to you how the Black Ram's skull is hoisted high upon the pole, the swirling drapery of the cloak hanging below, to give the impression of some immense and awesome demon. In the whitewashed interior of Cedric's church it seems lifeless and comical, but you see how fearsome it must appear in the firelight on top of Hodden Hill.

Then an alien voice echoes your laughter. You turn round and see two men standing in the doorway of the church. They taunt you: 'Does Robin Hood hide in churches now?' The indistinct light reveals them to be mailed guards - dressed in the livery of Sir Jean de Melusine. With deliberate slowness, they draw their swords.

DO YOU:
  • DRAW YOUR OWN WEAPON AND RUSH TO ATTACK THEM?
  • REMAIN WHERE YOU ARE AND PREPARE TO DEFEND YOURSELF AND FATHER CEDRIC?
Last edited by zach on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
zach
1st Level

Post by zach »

Robin is getting close to Sir Jean de Melusine. Any preferences for his next move ?
zach
1st Level

Robin Hood is in the Church

Post by zach »

Robin memains where he is...Maybe he can talk his way out

The men look at each other and start backing away. Their plan to tempt you out into the open has failed - but you are still trapped within the church.

You shut the door to prevent Sir Jean's men from sneaking in, then turn to Father Cedric. He looks at you despondently, and says, 'That's the only door, Robin. And the windows are too high up and too narrow to get through. It looks as though they've stopped the ceremony from taking place.'

You search the tiny building, but Father Cedric is right. Suddenly an idea strikes you, and you point at the corner.

'What?; asks Father Cedric. 'Oh, I see. The bellrope! I'd forgotten about that. It must be fifteen years since we had a bell to ring!'

This is better news than you hoped for. You might be able to climb the rope, haul up the Black Ram and then help Father Cedric. The thatched roof nestles close to the slope at the back and should not be too hard too negotiate, even in the dark.

DO YOU:
  • STAY IN THE CHURCH?
  • ATTEMPT TO LEAVE VIA THE BELL-ROPE?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pull the rope, totally.